• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

SeanR1221

So new phone just died now. From about 7:00AM until 9:00PM.

This is a huge improvement from the old one, but I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, this still isn't that great. Yes, my iPhone 4 would die around this time, but I used that constantly. I really had a light day with the Lumia compared to what I'd do with my iPhone. Unless Apple batteries are in a league of their own and my expectations are too high.

thirty

Banned
can't wait to put the camera through its paces, my body is ready ...so are my accessories.

smart phone camera mount
21K8uIxY2CL._SS400_.jpg

camera grip
41BynWxPFjL.jpg

This is a huge improvement from the old one, but I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, this still isn't that great. Yes, my iPhone 4 would die around this time, but I used that constantly. I really had a light day with the Lumia compared to what I'd do with my iPhone. Unless Apple batteries are in a league of their own and my expectations are too high.

Are you in an area with LTE? Because that suck juice up a lot more than the 3g/4g.

Troll

Banned

Car charger time.

Did you discharge/drain it first? That still sounds a bit fast. Started my day at 8:30, moderate use (listened to a few albums, some of a podcast, texting/surfing throughout the day) and I'm at 36% right now.

SeanR1221

Are you in an area with LTE? Because that suck juice up a lot more than the 3g/4g.

I sometimes get LTE, it's hit or miss

Car charger time.

Just picked one up :) I'm on the road all day.

Did you discharge/drain it first? That still sounds a bit fast. Started my day at 8:30, moderate use (listened to a few albums, some of a podcast, texting/surfing throughout the day) and I'm at 36% right now.

Last night when I got it, but it was already under 50% and said it hadn't been charged in 70 days. Today will be the first official 100% -> 0% -> 100%

Going through such an ordeal with ATT now.

Yesterday I got my phone and the SIM said it was invalid (and it wouldn't activate), but I could still use everything over wifi and set it up. Today I spoke with ATT and they said they'd activate it over the phone.

Unfortunately, once I hung up from that "Congratulations robot your phone works" call, my iPhone SIM went dead and the Lumia SIM still won't work. Now I have zero phones. =/

To top it off, I now see that they charged my Amex TWICE, once at $130 and then AGAIN for $250. So somehow during the hour and a half I was on the phone with them the other night, they made two orders--and only one of them was for the discount price.

I'm confident it will all get solved in the next day or two, but it's annoying as hell.

Is there anyway to manage when or how often the store looks for new podcasts? I really like the integration into the music app of the podcasts, but I noticed that it hadn't downloaded any new episodes since Sunday. I manually started one and then it downloaded the rest.

thirty

Banned
Still no speech option with the keyboard so 3rd party apps like Whatapp can use speech?

plus no option for my WiFi to turn on automatically when I get home.

Going through such an ordeal with ATT now.

Yesterday I got my phone and the SIM said it was invalid (and it wouldn't activate), but I could still use everything over wifi and set it up. Today I spoke with ATT and they said they'd activate it over the phone.

Unfortunately, once I hung up from that "Congratulations robot your phone works" call, my iPhone SIM went dead and the Lumia SIM still won't work. Now I have zero phones. =/

To top it off, I now see that they charged my Amex TWICE, once at $130 and then AGAIN for $250. So somehow during the hour and a half I was on the phone with them the other night, they made two orders--and only one of them was for the discount price.

I'm confident it will all get solved in the next day or two, but it's annoying as hell.

I had the non-working phone problem, too. They had the sim number wrong in their database, plus they had put the sim card in backwards.

Got my various accounts set up and am now going through manual to see how to do PC sync, etc.

Is there any way to check to see what percentage of battery is being used by various components? That's one feature on my Android phone that helped me optimize my battery life.

Liberty4all

Banned
Still no speech option with the keyboard so 3rd party apps like Whatapp can use speech?

plus no option for my WiFi to turn on automatically when I get home.

Wait what? Are you saying wifi doesn't automatically connect (after manually connecting the first time).

NeOak

Is there any way to check to see what percentage of battery is being used by various components? That's one feature on my Android phone that helped me optimize my battery life.

Most stuff is kept in a sleep state with no CPU time. The Homebrew Battery Meter had something like it, but in terms of CPU time.

Wait what? Are you saying wifi doesn't automatically connect (after manually connecting the first time).

It does, but it only turns on when you unlock the phone or it needs to check something. You gotta use Keep Alive to have Wi-Fi on when the screen is locked.

NeOak

For anyone with AT&T ... what sorts of LTE speeds are you getting?

At work I'm hitting a bit above 20mbs down, but I'm literally under a cell tower. I'll have to check what I'm getting around my house.

I just downloaded Bandwidth to my 920 (had it on my DVP). I'll post a screen when I get good signal.

Most stuff is kept in a sleep state with no CPU time. The Homebrew Battery Meter had something like it, but in terms of CPU time.

I'm thinking mostly of hardware rather than % of CPU time - screen, cell antenna, CPU, GPS, etc. That way, I can adjust sync frequency, screen timeout, etc. to compensate for disproportionate battery drain from certain components. Of course, it's also nice to know if a specific app is the root cause, too.

hwalker84

I wish I would've waited 1 more day like I had originally said. My battery issues are gone. I left the phone at 62% before going to sleep woke up just now and the battery life was at 59%. Literally says I have 3 days left. Yesterday it lost 35% in less time.

cube444

I wish I would've waited 1 more day like I had originally said. My battery issues are gone. I left the phone at 62% before going to sleep woke up just now and the battery life was at 59%. Literally says I have 3 days left. Yesterday it lost 35% in less time.

What changes did you make or was it simply the battery cycling through and getting discharged and charged a few times?

Milchjon

Ah, that's good to hear!

telstra-twitter.png

I wonder what they're expectations were...

PG2G

So I am at 100% right now and it is reporting 7 hours remaining. Doesn't seem right. I have been through at least a handful of discharge cycles.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
New stock for Australia the 27th? This better not impact the swedish launch. I want my phone dammit. You hear me, Aus-Gaf? Don't make me drill a hole through the earth just to snag a phone :(

Thats nice, my current phone depleted about 32% of battery by idling over the night. It's so obvious it wasn't meant to run ICS :(. I'd go back to Gingerbread but eh, what's the point now that I'll have a brand new phone in 2-3 weeks :D

hwalker84

What changes did you make or was it simply the battery cycling through and getting discharged and charged a few times?

All i did was let the phone completely die a few times. My phone is still on yesterday's charge. 48% battery left. Says 14 hrs remaining. Moderate use. Debating whether i should switch to the one they're sending me today.

hwalker84

So guys, after few days of usage, could you please post 3 strong and 3 week points of 920?

Build quality is amazing
Camera is ridiculous
So much faster than WP7.5

Some people are having battery issues (I was. Let the phone completely die a few times and now everything seems fine)
The Sync app is 100x's worse
Daytime photo's should be better with a camera of this quality (update is coming)

Retrocide

So I got my cyan 920 yesterday but it wasn't a smooth process. I got the phone from WalMart wireless and when I turned the phone on I got a sim card invalid error. So I called Wal-Mart's customer service number and they told me that they could send a new sim card but it would take a week to arrive. Obviously not acceptable. The customer service representative agreed and told me to get the sim card from an at&t store and they would send a free Bluetooth headset for my troubles.

So I went to the at&t store...got the new sim for free...went home...activated it. Success.

first impressions...the phone is damn sexy...and everything so smooth and fast. I haven't gotten a chance to test out the camera yet but I look forward to seeing how well it turns out.

kazinova

first impressions...the phone is damn sexy...and everything so smooth and fast. I haven't gotten a chance to test out the camera yet but I look forward to seeing how well it turns out.

Make sure you have the Creative Studio app, you can fix any daytime photo by bumping the clarity up to two-thirds or three-fourths from half.

tralfazz

I'm glad I bit the bullet on a replacement phone. Noticed today that the High Sensitive screen isn't working either. Tried it with my gloves, an easer, a rubber band wrapped on my finger....nothing works. Turned off High Sensitivity and back on....still nothing.

Anyone with battery issues wanna try that and see if their's has the same problem?

Bullza2o

I'm glad I bit the bullet on a replacement phone. Noticed today that the High Sensitive screen isn't working either. Tried it with my gloves, an easer, a rubber band wrapped on my finger....nothing works. Turned off High Sensitivity and back on....still nothing.

Anyone with battery issues wanna try that and see if theirs has the same problem?

Did you try using a key to test it? I just did this, and it worked on high sensitivity. It did not on normal sensitivity.

antti-la

Pre-ordered yellow one long time ago. It's a very sexy looking gadget with dem yellow tiles, but ever since have been questioning whether It's a too wild color for me, at least on some more serious occasions it can be a little too vivid.

I'm wondering if you can use the silicone shields to cover the original color? ie black silicone shield on yellow phone.

Top Bottom