• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Magni

Throw Canada into that equation too man. It's such a fucking joke that I can't buy this phone outright by simply going to Nokia's website and clicking on "purchase this fucking phone now" or buy walking into the MS pop-up store in my city.

If the Nexus 4 was LTE ready I would have been buying it first thing tomorrow morning off Google's site.

Yeah I think Canada is the only modern country that has it worse. I currently have a Galaxy Nexus (my Omnia 7 from France doesn't work on US data networks), and I just want the same buying experience from MS/Nokia. A phone I can buy online unlocked that will work with almost any carrier worldwide. How is that so fucking hard?

usctrojan

Sean, I hope your new unit holds a proper charge.

I just got mine today and so far I like it. The only weird gripe I have with it is the weird vibrating sound. It's not as annoying as some seem to make it out to be but it is a little odd.

Yeah I think Canada is the only modern country that has it worse. I currently have a Galaxy Nexus (my Omnia 7 from France doesn't work on US data networks), and I just want the same buying experience from MS/Nokia. A phone I can buy online unlocked that will work with almost any carrier worldwide. How is that so fucking hard?

A crappy distribution system set up by the carrier where the brick & mortar, internet, and telephone customer service divisions have no clue what the situation is anywhere else along the chain is incredibly frustrating, but it's still more effective than having no distribution system at all. It might be a little much to ask an ailing company like Nokia to not only forgo the benefits of a tight relationship with any of the carriers, but also create an entire distribution system themselves.

Tekniqs

Where do you live? US?

I went to the Microsoft Store on Times Square again, this time I was told "they aren't out yet, maybe at the end of the month". Pure incompetence. Went to the AT&T store and finally held one in my hands, whoever said it was heavy needs to play with an N95. Asked about buying off contract and was told I couldn't do it at one of their stores but needed to go to an "authorized retailer" (despite the guy online telling me to go to one of their stores). This is the most frustrating tech purchase I'll ever have made once I finally am able to buy one!

On the phone with MS now hoping to get info on no-contract and unlocked Lumias. edit: no info whatsoever apart from the fact that is indeed locked, couldn't even tell me if I could use a prepaid AT&T card with it. This country sucks so much when it comes to cell phones.

California broham...I think I'll take the plunge. IF they can't unlock it, I'ma return it. If they charge a restocking fee, I'ma just make a big deal about it and get it waived considering I'm buying it because it can be unlocked (supposedly)

alphaNoid

Banned
Guy at my work got his Cyan 920 today and I got my hands on it. Goddamn thing was fucking AWESOME. Weight was a non issue completely, and it was my only drawback.

I'm waiting until 12/3 so I can jump from Verizon to ATT (company waiver) then ordering a White 920 and it will be like Christmas morning when it arrives. Guy at my work got a Galaxy Note 2 as well ... neat phone, boring though reminded me of every other Android device I've touched the past 2 years accept bigger.

Just tired, dead tired of Android. WP looking hot!

Magni

A crappy distribution system set up by the carrier where the brick & mortar, internet, and telephone customer service divisions have no clue what the situation is anywhere else along the chain is incredibly frustrating, but it's still more effective than having no distribution system at all. It might be a little much to ask an ailing company like Nokia to not only forgo the benefits of a tight relationship with any of the carriers, but also create an entire distribution system themselves.

The thing is, Nokia used to have it in the past IIRC, and Microsoft should definitely have it in place. Google does it for the Nexus devices for Samung/Asus/LG. Microsoft needs their Nexus equivalent (and by Nexus in this context I mean unlocked world phone available directly from them).

The thing is, Nokia used to have it in the past IIRC, and Microsoft should definitely have it in place. Google does it for the Nexus devices for Samung/Asus/LG. Microsoft needs their Nexus equivalent (and by Nexus in this context I mean unlocked world phone available directly from them).

Too true. I remember walking through the Nokia flagship store in Chicago for that brief period where they were on top. I wonder if the market's movement to smartphones would make more people willing to forego contract prices and buy unlocked phones, and thus create more of a reason for a manufacturer to sell a phone unlocked directly?

Magni

any word on when (if) WP8 will be getting instagram?

Microsoft own 1.6% of Facebook, and thus of Instagram, so hopefully soon. Also hopefully they'll want to make a Windows 8 app, which would make the WP8 app just a couple lines of code away.

Too true. I remember walking through the Nokia flagship store in Chicago for that brief period where they were on top. I wonder if the market's movement to smartphones would make more people willing to forego contract prices and buy unlocked phones, and thus create more of a reason for a manufacturer to sell a phone unlocked directly?

Honestly, if you're a company that's bleeding money, the last thing you want to do is put up roadblocks in front of enthusiastic potential customers.

dLMN8R

Got my Lumia 920 Cyan today! Having a couple weird issues with it though.

I activated through the ATT site and I can make calls fine, but I can't send/receive texts and have no data. What's up? Does it just take a long time for that process to finish?

Why can't I set gmail to retrieve items "as they arrive"? I could do so fine with WP7.5 but can't on this anymore. Why?

SeanR1221

Same colour as before? Hopefully you just had a faulty battery.

Yup. The restore process isn't perfect. It brought over my contacts and calendar events but the app list is no where to be found (maybe its on WP.com?)

Anyway the battery was pretty low when I got it (like 40%) and hadn't been charged in 70 some days so I ran it to 0 and will see how it fares tomorrow morning.

is it true that the volume rocker controls both ring volume and media volume together?

Yup. I wish they'd fixed that :(

I like my ringer loud, but when I plug in headphones, I nearly blow my eardrums out. I had to get used to lowering the volume before I listen to music and raising it again when I'm done.

It's a pretty common complaint so maybe it'll finally get fixed in an update.

PG2G

Got my Lumia 920 Cyan today! Having a couple weird issues with it though.

I activated through the ATT site and I can make calls fine, but I can't send/receive texts and have no data. What's up? Does it just take a long time for that process to finish?

Why can't I set gmail to retrieve items "as they arrive"? I could do so fine with WP7.5 but can't on this anymore. Why?

I had this problem. Somehow my data and text plan fell off of my contract. They guy couldn't add the unlimited plan back so they created a ticket and gave me the 300 meg plan in the mean time. Haven't heard anything back yet.

PG2G

Microsoft own 1.6% of Facebook, and thus of Instagram, so hopefully soon. Also hopefully they'll want to make a Windows 8 app, which would make the WP8 app just a couple lines of code away.

Instagram is a bit too mobile centric to want to do a Windows 8 app I think. They don't even have a useful website, lol

ep85

I had this problem. Somehow my data and text plan fell off of my contract. They guy couldn't add the unlimited plan back so they created a ticket and gave me the 300 meg plan in the mean time. Haven't heard anything back yet.

Try calling again and speaking to someone else. The past two times I upgraded on AT&T they deleted my Unlimited data plan. A quick call to support put it back on. The second time (2 months ago) I had to talk to 3 different people before I got a CSR who knew what she was doing.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well, I had to return my Lumia to an ATT store tonight. After two days of use the top part of the molding (where the screen and case meet) somehow became loose and started to make a popping/clicking sound whenever pressure was applied to it.

Also, there was a small chip inside the camera lens which led to some bizarre artifacts when taking pictures.

Luckily, the ATT store had a replacement. Interestingly enough the manager mentioned that he had three returns of the phone in the last couple of days for quality problems. Take that as you will.

hwalker84

Easy. When you set your Gmail account it asks you do you want to sync calendars... Blah blah. If you don't say yes it doesn't setup as a google ActiveSync account.

Look like this is a real deal. People at wpcentral also report that they have their grandfathered plan messed up when they activated the phone over the web. Is there anybody who have unlimited data and activated the phone on the web without trouble?

Going to drain my phone all the way and charge it to 100% tonight. Does anyone know if the wireless charger will charge it if the phone is dead? Would hate to find it dead when I wake up.

Troll

Banned
Yup. The restore process isn't perfect. It brought over my contacts and calendar events but the app list is no where to be found (maybe its on WP.com?)

Anyway the battery was pretty low when I got it (like 40%) and hadn't been charged in 70 some days so I ran it to 0 and will see how it fares tomorrow morning.

Yeah there was something wrong with that battery. Neither of my 920s had problems like what you were having.

Troll

Banned
I always assumed you got the second one for your wife/gf/partner, but now it sounds like you got both for yourself. Big pimpin!

�� Yeah one is "hers". I guess. I'll post pics tomorrow, maybe my home screen minus the personal info. Pics of pets too, you guys seem to really like that. ��

Yup. I wish they'd fixed that :(

I like my ringer loud, but when I plug in headphones, I nearly blow my eardrums out. I had to get used to lowering the volume before I listen to music and raising it again when I'm done.

It's a pretty common complaint so maybe it'll finally get fixed in an update.

Christ, that's still not sorted? It's that sort of shit which really makes me reconsider buying a WP8 handset. How on earth can they look at Android's multiple volume controls and assume that just having one is acceptable.

SeanR1221

So I played Black Ops II until 3 am (why am I up at 6:30 now? Oh yeah, damn puppy) but before I went to bed, I played with the phone a little. 10 minutes of texting my fiancé, a tiny bit of web browsing. I didn't use it for the entire 10 minutes, but it stayed at 100%. Ok I thought, let's play some Angry Birds Star Wars. I played 10 straight minutes of the games and figured I'd be down to 95-97%. I was at 100%. Not ready to celebrate yet, but I'm pretty hopeful.

Totakeke

So I played Black Ops II until 3 am (why am I up at 6:30 now? Oh yeah, damn puppy) but before I went to bed, I played with the phone a little. 10 minutes of texting my fiancé, a tiny bit of web browsing. I didn't use it for the entire 10 minutes, but it stayed at 100%. Ok I thought, let's play some Angry Birds Star Wars. I played 10 straight minutes of the games and figured I'd be down to 95-97%. I was at 100%. Not ready to celebrate yet, but I'm pretty hopeful.

Sounds good. Hopefully it's not the opposite problem of the battery indicator not displaying properly. :p

hwalker84

I'm calling AT&T today and getting a replacement for my Cyan. The battery is absolutely horrific. I got home from the game last night (around 12:30) and had 35% battery left. With nothing running I decided not to charge it. When I woke up at 6:30am the phone was dead. :(

With my 900 in the same situation i may have lost 5% or so during the same time.

SeanR1221

Another annoying thing about the backup utility. Since your pics only save in SkyDrive, getting them back on your phone puts them in the saved pictures folder, not the camera roll. Not a huge deal, but annoying to not have everything in one place.

maeh2k

Another annoying thing about the backup utility. Since your pics only save in SkyDrive, getting them back on your phone puts them in the saved pictures folder, not the camera roll. Not a huge deal, but annoying to not have everything in one place.

You could probably use the Windows Phone application on your PC to transfer the photos or directly access the phone's file system on the PC and put the photos in the camera roll.

SeanR1221

Not a bad idea.

Edit: so far so good!! 2 hours of texting, playing 24 levels of cut the rope and making a 10 minute call I'm at 97% battery.

tralfazz

Not a bad idea.

Edit: so far so good!! 2 hours of texting, playing 24 levels of cut the rope and making a 10 minute call I'm at 97% battery.

Good for you, sucks for me. Two full discharges of the phone and nothing has changed and I have a Cyan. Guess I will be calling customer support tonight :'(

SeanR1221

Sean, how easy was it to get the new phone activated? Just had to swap sim?

That's all the girl at the store did.

Once I linked my MS account, my contacts and calendar events appeared. My texts were there too, but from a day before. That's all that carried over. Not sure why they claim app lists and settings come over.

Anyone willing to help me?

Where can I buy an unlocked Lumia 920 cyan online? One that will work with the Rogers network up here in Canada? Unfortunately for us, Rogers is only carrying the black version.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Thank you for this link, have you dealt with them before? Are they legit? I was hoping to find somewhere where they have it in stock.

I have, they're quite legit. Stock may be an issue for a while, since Nokia and carriers alike have botched this launch in spades

tralfazz

That's all the girl at the store did.

Once I linked my MS account, my contacts and calendar events appeared. My texts were there too, but from a day before. That's all that carried over. Not sure why they claim app lists and settings come over.

Thanks. AT&T is sending me a new Cyan. They are also sending a new sim. They said don't swap but I don't see why not.

Oh well, other than the battery I freaking love the phone! Video and night shots are remarkable. Predictive text and Rooms are great. All of the apps I used on my iPhone are there. I'm a happy pappy.

Piper Az

I'm noticing that volume control does not work on some podcasts (Lumia 920). Is anyone else having this problem? It's just set at one constant level despite changing the volume up or down.

hwalker84

Thanks. AT&T is sending me a new Cyan. They are also sending a new sim. They said don't swap but I don't see why not.

Oh well, other than the battery I freaking love the phone! Video and night shots are remarkable. Predictive text and Rooms are great. All of the apps I used on my iPhone are there. I'm a happy pappy.
I'm calling AT&T after I get out of this meeting. Hopefully the replacement doesn't have these battery issues. Also my touch screen isn't that responsive after waking up. If I try to slide up it doesn't grab my full swipe. At first I thought it was my oily fingers but if you wait a few seconds it then works perfectly. Oh well shit happens.

Edit: Meeting cancelled calling now. Tralfazz how fast are you getting your replacement?

Wurst

Soo I (pre-)ordered a yellow 920 on Amazon.de...

Hell, this is going to be an agonizing wait. Are there even any yellow ones out in the wild yet?
Every unit I read about or see in stores is either white or black..

Liberty4all

Banned
Anyone willing to help me?

Where can I buy an unlocked Lumia 920 cyan online? One that will work with the Rogers network up here in Canada? Unfortunately for us, Rogers is only carrying the black version.

If you are in Toronto I've heard the Microsoft store opening at Yorkdale on Friday will carry white red and black

I'm noticing that volume control does not work on some podcasts (Lumia 920). Is anyone else having this problem? It's just set at one constant level despite changing the volume up or down.

Yes! I thought I was crazy or there was something wrong with my car's line-in. Then a phone call came in and nearly blew my ears out cause I had the volume on the podcast turned up to try and get it louder. I'm not sure if this is a bug, a feature or what, but it's one of the few things I dislike about this phone.

Top Bottom