• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

SeanR1221

Can the people with no battery problems post these settings and Ill see how mine match? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Theme - dark
Email - manually
NFC - off
Lock screen - 1 minute
Wifi on, but doesn't show available networks
Bluetooth off
Tap+send off
Battery saver on
Backup - everything on, pictures only over wifi
Ease of access everything off
High sensitivity off
Background tasks nothing on

Milchjon

This is a question for past iPhone users...

I was able to use Raistlin's 920 for a little bit yesterday and the touch screen doesn't seem as responsive. Have other iPhone users noticed this too? I can't tell if it's the phone, the material of the screen, the software, or my imagination.

Reality Distortion Field.

I have no idea. I've only owned an iPod Touch though, but I didn't notice any difference

RBH

So what's the consensus on the Lumia 920 so far?

Just curious if there's any widespread issues or anything that's come up so far (haven't been able to keep up with the thread over the past week).

Can the people with no battery problems post these settings and Ill see how mine match? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Theme - dark
Email - manually
NFC - off
Lock screen - 1 minute
Bluetooth off
Tap+send off
Battery saver on
High sensitivity off
theme:dark
email:as items arrive
NFC: on
lock screen: 30 seconds
WiFi: don't show, but I turn it off when not at home
Bluetooth: on
tap+send:eek:n
battery saver: on
backup: off
ease of access: all off
high sensitivity: off
background tasks: nothing blocked

hwalker84

Theme - dark
Email - manually
NFC - off
Lock screen - 1 minute
Bluetooth off
Tap+send off
Battery saver on
High sensitivity off

Theme - dark
Email - 3 Accounts (As Items Arrive)
NFC - on
Lock screen - 1 minute
Bluetooth on
Tap+send on
Battery saver on
Backup - App List On, Text Messages On, Photo's off
High sensitivity off
Background task - Nokia Drive Allowed, Weather Flow Allowed

I was able to use Raistlin's 920 for a little bit yesterday and the touch screen doesn't seem as responsive. Have other iPhone users noticed this too? I can't tell if it's the phone, the material of the screen, the software, or my imagination.

I'm coming from an iPhone 4 and I'm finding the Lumia to be insanely responsive. Sometimes too much (per my aforementioned issue of my "thumb palm" accidentally hitting the back button while typing in portrait).

Edit: Sean, you really seem to have some battery issues. =|

Have you cycled, turned it on off, drained it to dead and done a full recharge?

SeanR1221

So nothing significantly different. And you guys are getting more battery than this? I'm in the 30s now and it's been off the charge for 8 hours.

Actually I've dropped 20% in the past hour and listened to two voicemails and used IE for about 20 minutes.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm coming from an iPhone 4 and I'm finding the Lumia to be insanely responsive. Sometimes too much (per my aforementioned issue of my "thumb palm" accidentally hitting the back button while typing in portrait).

I'll have to give it another try...it's definitely a pretty snappy device. I'm still on my out of contract iPhone 4.

I'll have to give it another try...it's definitely a pretty snappy device. I'm still on my out of contract iPhone 4.

Ya, I was too until 3 days ago. =)

It's a cool device, but I'll say: It definitely feels more like a "god damned telephone" than the iPhone did to me. I like the UI, I think everything is sleek and responsive (aside from some niggles that can be patched), but it doesn't have that gloriously ubiquitous feel that my iPhone had. Doesn't really bother me because I'm fiending for a switch out of iOS, but it's an intangible something different.

Milchjon

Just curious if there's any widespread issues or anything that's come up so far (haven't been able to keep up with the thread over the past week).

From what I've gathered, almost nobody in here is disappointed with it so far.

There are some issues (Sean in particular seems to have pretty bad battery issues), but they don't seem to be too widespread.

I still don't own it though, so maybe others can give you more profound feedback.

Looks, feels and works great though.

CrankyJay

Banned
Ya, I was too until 3 days ago. =)

It's a cool device, but I'll say: It definitely feels more like a "god damned telephone" than the iPhone did to me. I like the UI, I think everything is sleek and responsive (aside from some niggles that can be patched), but it doesn't have that gloriously ubiquitous feel that my iPhone had. Doesn't really bother me because I'm fiending for a switch out of iOS, but it's an intangible something different.

Dunno, after the birth of my kid last week I feel stuck in iOS ecosystem...I was taking a shit-ton of photos on my iPhone and they were automatically getting uploaded to iCloud so I could view and post them on my iPad, it actually came in handy.

Is there some third party shit that will do this, like DropBox or something?

Milchjon

Dunno, after the birth of my kid last week I feel stuck in iOS ecosystem...I was taking a shit-ton of photos on my iPhone and they were automatically getting uploaded to iCloud so I could view and post them on my iPad, it actually came in handy.

SkyDrive is integrated into WP very well, and it has an iPad app.

Congrats on the kid, BTW!

ElNino

On Windows Phone you can do everything you did here natively on the phone with Skydrive (including auto photo upload if you wish).

Congrats on the new addition!

UraMallas

I'm having serious issues with my AT&T service.

One thing I've noticed is that my text messages come in broken up by the 160 character limit. Is this a problem with my service, the way the Lumia handles texts, or does the messaging system in WP8 do this? They will come out of order and broken quite frequently.

My calls drop a lot, too.

I think I might have to take this phone back and get the 8X on Verizon just because of this. I need my phone to do the simple things as well as the really neat things. I love my phone and have gotten a lot of compliments on it and taken some great pictures but if it can't keep calls going and send and receive text correctly and timely what is the point?

Wonder if it is better to have brightness set at medium or to use auto with regards to battery?
I have my brightness on high. So no idea.

So nothing significantly different. And you guys are getting more battery than this? I'm in the 30s now and it's been off the charge for 8 hours.

Actually I've dropped 20% in the past hour and listened to two voicemails and used IE for about 20 minutes.
mine has been off the charger for 10 hours and I am at 65%. I have been internet surfing regularly all day.

CrankyJay

Banned
SkyDrive is integrated into WP very well, and it has an iPad app.

Congrats on the kid, BTW!

On Windows Phone you can do everything you did here natively on the phone with Skydrive (including auto photo upload if you wish).

Congrats on the new addition!

Thanks guys.

My wife (surprisingly), said she was okay being done with iOS (even tho she likes the iPhone 4 and iPad) and moving onto something different, and we're both off contract, so I guess I'll have to show her the Lumia to see if she's okay with a bump up in size and learning a different OS.

The other shit aspect is almost everyone in my family has an iPhone so the free iMessages is nice.

tralfazz

mine has been off the charger for 10 hours and I am at 65%. I have been internet surfing regularly all day.

God, I hope my replacement is like this. This is what I would expect, better actually.

Discovered the joy of xbox music today. My windows 8 home PC found all my itunes music and linked to it. Lo and behold when I checked my phone later, all my stuff was there to stream/download. Very pleasantly suprised.

Heretic

Anyone here using straight talk with the phone? If so, how has your experience been with battery and services?

I am currently a verizon customer and I went to an ATT store to buy the phone. I explained to them I wanted the phone off contract to use with straight talk and they said they couldn't sell me the phone unless I had an account or if I used a family members account to purchase the phone becasuse they had to scan the serial number with an account.

The last question is, how hard is it to set up the micro sim card for straight talk? I am planning on transferring my existing Verizon number, but I've seen some peeps are having trouble activating their cards. I explored the st website earlier and it seemed somewhat self explanatory.

I have no idea but I figured i'd quote you just cause you were the last post on the page and it might have been missed.

SeanR1221

I'm happy for you, but it's infuriating to me :/. At least the story hit WP Central and Gizmodo about the battery. How did I get two fucked up ones in a row?

Theme - dark
Email - as items arrive
NFC - on
Lock screen - 1 minute
Wifi on
Bluetooth off
Tap+send on
Battery saver on
High sensitivity on
Background tasks: Amazing Weather, Battery Level, Flux, and WPCentral

I am at 37% right now, which is less than yesterday, but I was streaming podcasts today, too.

Love it. Only "widespread" issues are some people with battery issues (discharge/charge cycle seems to fix it for most, though not all) and some soft daytime photos, which will supposedly be fixed in a software update.

Oh, when the phone vibrates, it audibly rattles. Not sure if this is the norm or something is wrong with mine. Not horrible but noticeable.

derFeef

Thanks guys.

My wife (surprisingly), said she was okay being done with iOS (even tho she likes the iPhone 4 and iPad) and moving onto something different, and we're both off contract, so I guess I'll have to show her the Lumia to see if she's okay with a bump up in size and learning a different OS.

The other shit aspect is almost everyone in my family has an iPhone so the free iMessages is nice.

Why not try WhatsApp?

Demy

Finally got my matte black 920 and I'm gonna activate it. I have the number to call, but I don't have a house phone. Can I call and active from my current cell phone? I was told it needs to be turned off during the 920 activation. Or is there another way to activate?

I feel a little underwhelm by photo from 920. The photo look smoothed-out and lost sharpness.

ediited: pic too big.

Yeah, pretty sure has acknowledged this will be "patched". More specifically, I think engadget noted that the pictures were much sharper when they did a tour of the Nokia facility ~2 months back.

GCX

Oh, when the phone vibrates, it audibly rattles. Not sure if this is the norm or something is wrong with mine. Not horrible but noticeable.
Slight rattle is normal because the camera lens floats inside the phone so it can do the image stabilization magic.

The screen is actually more sensitive than the iPhone. It's one of the only phones that can be used with gloves on (iPhone isn't sensitive enough for that). The screen also updates at a faster rate than the iPhone, and Windows Phone is known for its snappiness. That leaves either a software setting turned off, hardware defect of some kind or your imagination. :)

There is an option under settings for "display+touch". That's where the high sensitivity option is displayed. Make sure that's turned on.

Also, I got my 920 cyan yesterday! I was a terrible person and didn't charge it fully before using it, but oh well. It's running great, and loving the amount of customization I can do. The fact that there's 3 sizes of tiles provides a LOT more customization than you could on WP7. Ran through the battery pretty fast yesterday since it didn't get a chance to fully charge, but gave it a full charge last night and it's holding up amazingly well today.

Love the Skype integration. I was just sitting in my room, got a phone call and upon answering it launched the Skype app right into a video call with my brother. It was seamless. Very neat!

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but when I used to buy dumbphones back in highschool, the provider I would try to bring them to would always warn me to have it charging for 24 hours straight before activating it... something about it messing with the battery somehow.

If you decide to go in for a third, maybe try that? I don't know why, but it just randomly came up in my head and it may not do anything, but its worth a shot.

Bullza2o

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like draining and fully charging the phone did the trick. Unplugged the phone 11 hours ago, been using it moderately, and I'm at 39%.

Raistlin

What are the chances I have two bad batteries in a row. Only thing I can think is KiK really is destroying my battery. Do only pinned tiles get toast notifications?
If the app is set to receive toasts, it will do it whether there is a live tile or not. They are two separate features/mechanisms.

Out of curiosity ... have you tried uninstalling Kik ... then doing a full drain/recharge cycle ... and seeing how it fares without the app?

It's possible there is something wrong with the Kik.

maeh2k

I'm happy for you, but it's infuriating to me :/. At least the story hit WP Central and Gizmodo about the battery. How did I get two fucked up ones in a row?

I think it's unlikely that it's a hardware issue. Maybe it fixes itself after a number of cycles, or it might be fixed via an update. Give it some time and keep a charger nearby.

UraMallas

This thread is moving fast so I'll just repost my question again:

Are large text messages coming through normal for everyone? Does the 920 split up messages into 160 characters for anybody else?

SeanR1221

If the app is set to receive toasts, it will do it whether there is a live tile or not. They are two separate features/mechanisms.

Out of curiosity ... have you tried uninstalling Kik ... then doing a full drain/recharge cycle ... and seeing how it fares without the app?

It's possible there is something wrong with the Kik.

I could try that. What sucks is I'm between a rock and a hard place with this. I want better battery but if Kik is the issue....I have 2 group chats with 4 friends in each going throughout the day. I'd say Kik is one of my most important apps.

I could try that. What sucks is I'm between a rock and a hard place with this. I want better battery but if Kik is the issue....I have 2 group chats with 4 friends in each going throughout the day. I'd say Kik is one of my most important apps.

If it ends up being KiK, they'll update the app.

Raistlin

Understood ... but it's better to know where the problem lies ... correct?

If it's the app, hopefully a fix is in store. It hasn't been updated since 2/27/2012. Maybe there's something specific with how WP8 operates they need to update.

Regardless, my suggestion would be to do what I mentioned ... and if it is the app, reinstall it and give a review complaining about the issue ... and contact the developer with some emails. If no one says anything, it won't get fixed.

Anyone know of a twitter app that isn't balls? No plans for tweetbot to come to Win8 unfortunately, so I need to find something else.

You can try:
Seesmic
Twitter (the official one)
Carbon

All have pros and cons. But in all cases (I think) you can pin a search to the start screen which is really handy

NeOak

This thread is moving fast so I'll just repost my question again:

Are large text messages coming through normal for everyone? Does the 920 split up messages into 160 characters for anybody else?

Received messages will always do that, as they are received in chunks of 160.

usctrojan

Anyone know of a twitter app that isn't balls? No plans for tweetbot to come to Win8 unfortunately, so I need to find something else.

I've only tried 4:

Official: sucks and cant even cache pictures fast enough to make it seem natural while scrolling

Rowi: Pretty good

Mehdoh: My favorite. I love how smooth it is and how the top tabs have counts so you don't have to check for messages if you see a zero next to message tab etc... (so slick)

Gleek: haven't given it enough time because Mehdoh is so good.

freshair

I've tried them all and I'd honestly go with Rowi.

Fast at fetching timeline, minimal bloat (dislike gleek and mehdoh for this reason) and clean design. Birdsong is pretty on par too, but I believe Rowi has more features.

Top Bottom