• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Using Quick Bandwidth, 3 bars, LTE...not sure how accurate this is, but here goes:

wp_ss_20121114_0003.png

At 2 bars, I get 8.34.

So I am at 100% right now and it is reporting 7 hours remaining. Doesn't seem right. I have been through at least a handful of discharge cycles.

That's weird. At 100%, mine says 1 day 3 hours.

Using the charging pad last night, all I can say is my next phone this is a must have feature. Now I have too see where I can find that Fatboy charger for my car ... so far even their website is not listing it.

thirty

Banned
Yeah, I want a WiFi app that will turn my WiFi on due to proximity. For example, when I pull into my drive way, the app will realize via GPS that I'm home and will automatically turn WiFi on.

as far as the WiFi lock screen issue, I like the way it currently works but the more options the better.

SeanR1221

So I think Kik is hurting my battery the most. Took it off the charger at 8am. Did a little web browsing, made a call, used 4th and mayor and downloaded and played the first level of sonic cd. 100% battery 1.5 hours later. Then I get a ton of kik messages, and by 10:30 I'm at 87%. I don't know what to do. Maybe turning the toast notifications off? Its not like they're consolidated anywhere anyway and I could just check kik manually.

PG2G

We need Battery Sense to go with our Data Sense. Might be good information for developers to have too. They probably don't even pay attention to how much power their apps use.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've had a 920 since Sunday and have not been able to use the bloody thing!
My EE sim is defective so they are sending me a new one but I have to wait for it to arrive :(

The phone is just sitting here.

I've had a 920 since Sunday and have not been able to use the bloody thing!
My EE sim is defective so they are sending me a new one but I have to wait for it to arrive :(

The phone is just sitting here.

You can use it with WiFi. (My sim is bad too...)

I'm really disappointed with the Exchange support. I figured it would be excellent (Windows phone and all), but it's not intuitive how to work things--and it isn't automatically searching the server for names (I have to manually add a contact each time I want to email someone) and the text is apparently showing up all blown out and huge for recipients.

Primarily, I'm migrating from iOS because I don't need the games or the huge app ecosystem as a) productivity is more valuable to me on my phone, b) I assume the apps will come with Win 8 (assuming success). I really hope the productivity stuff starts making itself apparent--because I really like the UI, the tiles are fantastic, the phone feels awesome, and there are some really good ideas. But there are a lot of things that just lack polish so far.

hwalker84

You can use it with WiFi. (My sim is bad too...)

I'm really disappointed with the Exchange support. I figured it would be excellent (Windows phone and all), but it's not intuitive how to work things--and it isn't automatically searching the server for names (I have to manually add a contact each time I want to email someone) and the text is apparently showing up all blown out and huge for recipients.

What do you mean by "isn't automatically searching the server for names (I have to manually add a contact each time I want to email someone)". I'm an Exchange Admin so I maybe able to clear somethings up. Are you referring to type ahead? I've also never heard of the text issue or had that happen to anyone ever.

Hambone

I had some battery shenanigans with my 920. I'll break it down in a timeline:

-Fully charged the phone early afternoon on Monday
-Light to moderate usage Monday night and Tuesday morning.
-Phone battery drains itself to 0 and shuts itself off by early Tuesday evening.
-Hit the power button to see if the battery is completely drained.
-Phone boots up like normal and shows 60% battery.
-Light usage Tuesday evening. (text messages, you tube clips, browsed GAF)
-I have not charged the phone at all.
-Today (Wednesday morning) battery shows 44%.

Now I'm dropping 1% every 10 minutes and I'm not using it.

6% per hour = >16 hours of life

Is that a problem? Or is my math horribly wrong?

EDIT: Completely misread the "not using it" part. Still, that's a lot better than you were getting. Might have something running in the background.

What do you mean by "isn't automatically searching the server for names (I have to manually add a contact each time I want to email someone)". I'm an Exchange Admin so I maybe able to clear somethings up. Are you referring to type ahead? I've also never heard of the text issue or had that happen to anyone ever.

Meaning: I type a name "Joe Smith" and it doesn't search to see if Joe Smith is anywhere on exchange: It just uses the text joe smith. It gives me a button that says "Search on exchange" but I keep tapping it and nothing happens--so instead I have to go in and create a new contact for Joe Smith. Is that more clear? Thanks for your help though...

Also, I received a second(?) phone this morning, which explains I suppose why I was charged twice. It also has the same vibrating issue, albeit slightly fainter. I want to transfer everything over to my phone--is that possible? Meaning ALL of my settings, tile set up, contacts, everything...

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
My phone was "Out for delivery" yesterday, never got delivered. Now it just says "Delivery status not updated".

I want to cry.

SeanR1221

What are the chances I have two bad batteries in a row. Only thing I can think is KiK really is destroying my battery. Do only pinned tiles get toast notifications?

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
I had battery issues this morning where it was draining 3-4% in about 5 minutes. The phone began to feel warm as well. I powered my 920 off, waited 10 seconds and powered it back on. The Battery Level app showed 54% before the restart and jumped to 61% afterwards haha.

I plugged it in immediately to 100%, streamed nokia music for 45 minutes and it shows 99%. I had no issues yesterday so I'm assuming an app related process was running and began to kill my battery.

tldr; power cycle your phone for 10 seconds (note: not a hard reset)

hth

SeanR1221

*sigh* down to 36%. Guess I'll start plugging it in my car. I'm not going to do a second exchange. I'll just accept the pretty bad battery life.

really really bummed out about this.

edit I think what bugs me the most is I'm barely even using the phone. If I used my iPhone 4 the same amount id easily be at 85%

Beaner

My girlfriend and I both got 920s from bestbuy yesterday, and there are a couple weird differences between our phones:

I have Nokia collections in my marketplace, she doesn't but is able to see the Nokia apps in the free section.

I have airplane mode, she had flight mode.

Why would these differences occur, and is there any way to get Nokia collection onto her marketplace? We got both phones at the same time from the same store, activated minutes after each other.

My girlfriend and I both got 920s from bestbuy yesterday, and there are a couple weird differences between our phones:

I have Nokia collections in my marketplace, she doesn't but is able to see the Nokia apps in the free section.

I have airplane mode, she had flight mode.

Why would these differences occur, and is there any way to get Nokia collection onto her marketplace? We got both phones at the same time from the same store, activated minutes after each other.

You are already dead. =(

CrankyJay

Banned
This is a question for past iPhone users...

I was able to use Raistlin's 920 for a little bit yesterday and the touch screen doesn't seem as responsive. Have other iPhone users noticed this too? I can't tell if it's the phone, the material of the screen, the software, or my imagination.

cevansdust

Neo Member
Anyone here using straight talk with the phone? If so, how has your experience been with battery and services?

I am currently a verizon customer and I went to an ATT store to buy the phone. I explained to them I wanted the phone off contract to use with straight talk and they said they couldn't sell me the phone unless I had an account or if I used a family members account to purchase the phone becasuse they had to scan the serial number with an account.

The last question is, how hard is it to set up the micro sim card for straight talk? I am planning on transferring my existing Verizon number, but I've seen some peeps are having trouble activating their cards. I explored the st website earlier and it seemed somewhat self explanatory.

Top Bottom