• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

I think 920 fit my lifestyle perfectly. The battery was at 100% at 10.00 am and at 5.30pm it's at 75%. I didn't do any call but used internet, Whatsapp, sms, and took some photos. I have Metrotube, Weather Channel and Yelp running in the background since morning and have Nokia Drive+ running since 3.00 pm. Very good battery life for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You can use it with WiFi. (My sim is bad too...)

I'm really disappointed with the Exchange support. I figured it would be excellent (Windows phone and all), but it's not intuitive how to work things--and it isn't automatically searching the server for names (I have to manually add a contact each time I want to email someone) and the text is apparently showing up all blown out and huge for recipients.

Primarily, I'm migrating from iOS because I don't need the games or the huge app ecosystem as a) productivity is more valuable to me on my phone, b) I assume the apps will come with Win 8 (assuming success). I really hope the productivity stuff starts making itself apparent--because I really like the UI, the tiles are fantastic, the phone feels awesome, and there are some really good ideas. But there are a lot of things that just lack polish so far.

My (lowly) 800 works perfectly with exchange, including online search for contacts and calendar stuff. Perhaps have a word with your IT guy at work?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Finally got mine! It's a cyan like my wife's 900. I'm still charging it up and downloading all my old apps (at least the ones that haven't been pulled out of the market). It's a gorgeous phone, I love it, but every single person I've showed it to, their very first remark is "wow, it's heavy". *shrugs* For the camera, wireless charging, NFC, and build quality, I'll take it over any other phone. It really does feel well built and is awesome to hold in hand.

Finally got my 920! All I had to do was give up on waiting for a yellow one, and give up on getting a free wireless charger from AT&T. So I got a white model from the Microsoft Store in Century City, where they are selling at the amazingly fast rate of two or three a day. Heh. White is pretty damn cool, and I'm totally getting a new G-Shock to match, maybe with a white band and black dial with blue hands or something like that.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Mine was lost by the post office, now I have to wait for the backordered reds to be filled before they ship one to me.

This sucks.

Mine was lost by the post office, now I have to wait for the backordered reds to be filled before they ship one to me.

This sucks.

It's dismaying that AT&T sent me two by their mistake when so many of you can't even get one. I'm the 1%.

Also: With Rowi, can you pin a search or person?

Liberty4all

Banned
Got mine at a Rogers store today. Was lucky, 2 had just come in and they were gone within the hour.

Store rep told me they have been getting upwards of 50 calls a day from people trying to find 920's.

Got my profiles set up, downloaded sine apps and played around with device before battery died. Giving it a full charge from empty now.

How do I skip through my contacts? I have hundreds in there and can't figure out a shortcut to skip down the list aside from search.

cube444

Finally got my 920! All I had to do was give up on waiting for a yellow one, and give up on getting a free wireless charger from AT&T. So I got a white model from the Microsoft Store in Century City, where they are selling at the amazingly fast rate of two or three a day. Heh. White is pretty damn cool, and I'm totally getting a new G-Shock to match, maybe with a white band and black dial with blue hands or something like that.

Did you buy it off contract and do they sell them off contract there?

Troll

Banned
Got mine at a Rogers store today. Was lucky, 2 had just come in and they were gone within the hour.

Store rep told me they have been getting upwards of 50 calls a day from people trying to find 920's.

Got my profiles set up, downloaded sine apps and played around with device before battery died. Giving it a full charge from empty now.

How do I skip through my contacts? I have hundreds in there and can't figure out a shortcut to skip down the list aside from search.

Use the jump list by touching the letters in boxes above the names.

Bullza2o

I think I found a possible defect on my Lumia screen. When viewed at an angle from the top of the phone, I can see a bright speck of white light. It's like the LCD backlight of the DS seen when viewed at the same angle. Anyone else having this?

Is this relatively safe, or is there a chance it might eventually do some damage?

Razdek

Banned
Got mine at the bestbuy mobile store off contract and ordered an unlock code so I can use it with Bell instead of Rogers. It's pretty nice so far but it's big, kinda hard to use my thumb to reach all four corners of the screen.

Does anyone know to to group of so it looks like Windows 8 with the header tile?

I think I found a possible defect on my Lumia screen. When viewed at an angle from the top of the phone, I can see a bright speck of white light. It's like the LCD backlight of the DS seen when viewed at the same angle. Anyone else having this?

Is this relatively safe, or is there a chance it might eventually do some damage?

mine has that too

hwalker84

Time since last charge 1 Day 10 hours. Its official my battery woes are gone. New phone didn't show up and now I don't even want it.

SeanR1221

Sean, turn off your NFC and see if that helps your battery.

e: nm I read your post about having it off.

That's tap and send right? I even had that off with my first phone :/

Time since last charge 1 Day 10 hours. Its official my battery woes are gone. New phone didn't show up and now I don't even want it.

And that's with using it? I must really just have fucked batteries.

EDIT: How's this for interesting.

Let the battery die. I tried to turn it on and just got the battery dead indicator. Then, I held volume down plus power and it turned on. It now says 0%, with less than an hour left but I've played 4 levels in Angry Birds.

hwalker84

That's tap and send right? I even had that off with my first phone :/

And that's with using it? I must really just have fucked batteries.

Yep. A bunch of phone calls. 3 Email accounts set to "When received" One of those is my Exchange email and since i'm one of the Sr. Systems Engineers I get around 300-400 emails a day from just that account. Websurfing, spades playing, app updates. I finally placed the phone on the charger.

SeanR1221

Heh, not sure why you didn't just post it in here. A factory restore is the last thing I want to do, really. Setting up my phone for a third time is not appealing.

Edit: STILL playing Angry Birds on 0%

cube444

Heh, not sure why you didn't just post it in here. A factory restore is the last thing I want to do, really. Setting up my phone for a third time is not appealing.

Edit: STILL playing Angry Birds on 0%

I didn't want to link to another forum because I'm not sure if it's a TOS violation.

SeanR1221

Ah, Understandable.

So since I'm still using this phone at 0%, I wonder if the battery display was messed up and it was "tricking" the phone into turning off?

cube444

Ah, Understandable.

So since I'm still using this phone at 0%, I wonder if the battery display was messed up and it was "tricking" the phone into turning off?

Not sure man. I'm wondering if the % feature is not a true measure with how much power is still left in your battery.

ie. Shows you 20% left but in reality you have 52%?

usctrojan

Snakes,

Rowi doesn't give you the pin to home option, but Mehdoh does. Trust me on this one and check out Mehdoh. A previous post mentioned it being bloated? Not sure with what; even the loadup is a fraction faster on my Lumia. You can also control so many settings and even turn off auto show pics if you want.

In any case, Rowi is pretty sweet. But dont avoid Mehdoh if you want to see what I mean about the layout being the most intuitive.

Hey, have any Canadians here bought the 920 off contract then brought it to wind? If so, hows the experience with the 920 on the network? I'm asking because that's what I'm thinking of doing; although I'm not sure if I should just enter into a contract with Rogers instead.

Snakes,

Rowi doesn't give you the pin to home option, but Mehdoh does. Trust me on this one and check out Mehdoh. A previous post mentioned it being bloated? Not sure with what; even the loadup is a fraction faster on my Lumia. You can also control so many settings and even turn off auto show pics if you want.

In any case, Rowi is pretty sweet. But dont avoid Mehdoh if you want to see what I mean about the layout being the most intuitive.

Just checked out Mehdoh, very impressed. Awesome live tile too. Like how small you can make the text too. Only wish there was an option to load more than 200 tweets at once.

Snakes,

Ok, cool, I'll check that out too. I really like that Win8 has a demo period for paid apps.

Edit: Does Mehbo use tweetmarker? I've realized I think that is my favorite feature of tweetbot (and Rowi).

(Oh, also, Rowi does allow you to pin to home. You have to add what you want (either search or user or list) to the Rowi homescreen, then from there you can pin any homescreen feature.)

usctrojan

Just checked out Mehdoh, very impressed. Awesome live tile too. Like how small you can make the text too. Only wish there was an option to load more than 200 tweets at once.

Wow, I always keep mine at 50 but youre right, there should be more options. I got mehdoh once when it was free and felt weird using it over rowi (which I payed for). But it's just the better client. After every update, I test each again just to be sure I don't miss anything super cool on whichever I am not using.

Wow, I always keep mine at 50 but youre right, there should be more options. I got mehdoh once when it was free and felt weird using it over rowi (which I payed for). But it's just the better client. After every update, I test each again just to be sure I don't miss anything super cool on whichever I am not using.

Yeah, sometimes if I don't check my phone all day at work it's nice to get all of the tweets I missed during the day and 200 isn't enough to cover that. I'll live though.

Mehdoh just seems a lot cleaner and better thought out than Rowi.

Razdek

Banned
Hey, have any Canadians here bought the 920 off contract then brought it to wind? If so, hows the experience with the 920 on the network? I'm asking because that's what I'm thinking of doing; although I'm not sure if I should just enter into a contract with Rogers instead.

I bought it off contract and waiting for my unlock code. Once it's unlocked I'll look at keeping it with Bell or Mobilicity.

no, only the first batch was unlocked and the new ones are locked. It was about $28 but you can also get it from Rogers for $50.

Alright, well keep me updated on how the process works for you bringing it to Bell/Moblicity. It would be really great to know how it works on another carrier in regards to updates or if any features are locked down.

dLMN8R

Rowi is a really awesome Twitter client, especially on the Lumia 920. So speedy, so smooth.

Also. HOLY BALLS Seattle AT&T LTE:
OR4YD.png

moO10.png

Top Bottom