• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

zedge

Got mine at the bestbuy mobile store off contract and ordered an unlock code so I can use it with Bell instead of Rogers. It's pretty nice so far but it's big, kinda hard to use my thumb to reach all four corners of the screen.

Does anyone know to to group of so it looks like Windows 8 with the header tile?

How much did they charge of contract? Is it $650?

Bullza2o

Is anyone planning to get a case for this phone? If so, which?
The phone is quite slippery I'm afraid I might drop it when I'm outside.

Troll

Banned
Lowlight compared to Focus.

Focus
0Ei0h.jpg

HdyU4.jpg

Guys... how is that possible?

thirty

Banned
from the WPCentral forums, 2G/3G/LTE toggle found

I called ATT today, about lack of an LTE off switch. I also mentioned that the rest of the world has one why did you disable it? And will it ever be re-enabled? His basic answer was “buy a different phone that has that option.” It kind of pissed me off. Why would Nokia and Microsoft let ATT the “exclusive” career (in the US) mess with any of these settings or options? It’s only going to shine a bad light on the hardware company or the OS (poor battery life). So now I will end my rant, here is the work around for LTE (in the US on ATT, everyone else has the option enabled in settings).

Here are the instructions:
Step 1
• Dial ##3282#
• Select (…) and Settings
• Select 2G and slide ENF to off
• Reboot (hold down power)

Go to Step 2

Now the phone is set up so you can switch it (step 2) as many times as you want until you reboot it, then you need to do Step 1 again.

Step 2
•Go to dialer and enter ##3282#, it opens the “Data Field Test utility”
•Tap the "three dots" … at the bottom of your screen and tap "settings"
•Change the Network type to:
Automatic = It will chose the best connection. (default)
4g = LTE
3g = 4g (Hspa+)
2g = edge
•The antenna picture will show “no connection” and then reconnect to the chosen option (automatic, 4g, 3g, or 2g)
•NOTE: You can play with the other two settings “at your own risk”.
•Back arrow out to the home screen, and you’re done.

I just made a contact called “AttLTEoff”
Added the ##3282# as the phone number
Then pinned it to my home screen

The original web site where I found this info is here:
How to toggle LTE on/off on your Nokia Lumia 900 ~ Nokia For Us

I hope this helps some people out.

GCX

Aperture, shutter, and ISO.

Either the lens is open wider (letting in more light), it's open longer (letting in more light), or it's gobbling up the available light faster.
OIS makes it possible for the shutter to stay open longer and gather more light. That's the biggest single factor.

Liberty4all

Banned
Some thoughts about the phone:

feels well built and i love the screen size. It is somewhat uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time but i think that is because i am so used to using my smaller iphone 4.

Most of my complaints are OS based ... Ill outline in the wp8 thread.

UraMallas

Had to return the phone. AT&T is garbage in West Des Moines. I love the phone so much but I haven't been able to get a signal in my building once this week, even by the windows. My texts are broken and out of order and my calls drop in my living room. Best phone I've owned. I love the hardware, the camera and big screen especially, but the cell service is unacceptable.

Switching back to Verizon and preordering the inferior HTC 8X. :-(

toff74

Might b a bit of a daft question, but has anyone with a UK EE/Orange 920 actually tried the phone with a different carriers sim card?

Reason I ask is that me and the wife are on O2. I gave her my phone upgrade 6 months ago and now her contract is up i'm looking for the easiest way to get a 920. If I use her upgrade and put her on Orange, i'll need an Orange contract too?

EricM85

Submitted my purchase order to my company's IT for a white 920 today. They said I may have the phone Friday, but likely not until Monday or Tuesday. I'm pretty excited; can't wait to ditch my iPhone.

Troll

Banned
Had to return the phone. AT&T is garbage in West Des Moines. I love the phone so much but I haven't been able to get a signal in my building once this week, even by the windows. My texts are broken and out of order and my calls drop in my living room. Best phone I've owned. I love the hardware, the camera and big screen especially, but the cell service is unacceptable.

Damn, that sucks. The 8x is still a great phone, you're just not going to be as buff as the rest of us I guess.

I'll be joining you tomorrow as well! *hugs*

The Red 8x is mine....since Verizon decided to be hosers and not carry the yellow one.

HOLY S*#T I got an order number for the Yellow 920. I will actually get my phone, my YELLOW phone. They said I was crazy to order a yellow phone let alone to wait for it. I'll show them I'll show them all. hahahhahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahaha

toff74

I just ordered the yellow one too..

I found out that even if 2 people are on the same network, you can transfer one of the numbers over to the other account. this means the Missus can stay with O2 and keep her number.. and i'm now on Orange with a new number :)

On Orange you get swappables.. there's a Sky Sports one. Do you need an app for it and if so is it available or is it through an Orange Portal? Hmm!!!!

Is anyone planning to get a case for this phone? If so, which?
The phone is quite slippery I'm afraid I might drop it when I'm outside.

I prefer my phone like my girl - naked! I don't find it to be that slippery (probably because it's so dam heavy and you have to hold it with two hands!)

On serious note, At&t got some Speck case in, I think they are kind of ugly. They have more choices for 8X phone though (and those look nice).

However if you look on eBay there are several case from Asia ... I sort of wary ordering from them because quality can be very bad not seeing the case my self. (Most of them are cheap plastic ...)

Though I am trying to find a new holster for it from when I am at work. Curse you Nokia for moving the headphone jack to the middle. I rather prefer it on the edge ... it's easy to find not looking at the phone. Found a few on Amazon but review is not very good.

accx

For those of you considering getting a case, have a look at otterbox.
Looks like they will be available soon.

http://www.otterbox.com/nokia-lumia-920-cases/nokia-lumia-920-cases,default,sc.html

I have the Defender case for my old Iphone 3G and it's like a tank.
It does make the phone a lot bigger which might not be preferable for some..
I won't be buying another case for the Nokia (probably) because of the already bigger size and most reports and reviews seems to be positive about its durability.

SeanR1221

I'll be curious how the battery does today now that I've really drained it.

Started at 7:30am

And lol it says 100% with estimated 11 hours remaining and I've literally done nothing with the phone. Oh boy.

jaypah

HOLY S*#T I got an order number for the Yellow 920. I will actually get my phone, my YELLOW phone. They said I was crazy to order a yellow phone let alone to wait for it. I'll show them I'll show them all. hahahhahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahaha

hell yeah! ours got shipped last night. 2 brand new smileyface-yellow 920s. can't fucking wait!

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Yeah that's about the reaction I will get when I get a shipping confirmation. God damn! Make it the 28th already!

Superior yellow Lumia master-race unite.

kazinova

Burned the battery all the way down yesterday, made sure it was dead and plugged it in at 10pm Wednesday night.

Unplugged around 7:30am to go to work, three hours in and I've plummeted to 98% with minimal use. I was at 38% leaving work on Wednesday let's see if I can do better with about the same amount of podcast streaming/use.

alright.. battery update..

My phone's battery seems to be behaving better than it was a few days ago..

it's been about 1 day and 23 hours since I charged it last and I'm sitting at 43% on the battery.

I played a couple minutes of a game, took a phone call or two and a few other things in that time and it says I have a day left on the battery.

The day I first got it, it seemed like the battery drained far too quickly.. it was mostly idle that time too, but had dropped down to 68% in a couple hours.

Going to keep an eye on it and see how it fares the next time I charge it.

Hopefully my free charging plate should be arriving in the next couple days and I can just lay it on that and forget about it.

SeanR1221

Burned the battery all the way down yesterday, made sure it was dead and plugged it in at 10pm Wednesday night.

Unplugged around 7:30am to go to work, three hours in and I've plummeted to 98% with minimal use. I was at 38% leaving work on Wednesday let's see if I can do better with about the same amount of podcast streaming/use.

I'm at 99% after 3.5 hours with very minimal use. I checked Gaf three times, sent 5 texts and made one 10 min call.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My battery doesn't seem very good at the moment like people talked about above. I will give it a few cycles though.

The camera is ridiculous.

edit: also do you guys think it is better for the battery to have it on medium brightness or auto adjust?

Top Bottom