• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Troll

Banned
So i let my phone completely discharge. Tried to turn it twice, got the red battery indicator. Third time it did turn on and i got this:

iELAsNkCvUvTx.png

"Negative" integer lol. Now it finally died and wont turn on. Gonna do a full recharge.

Hmmm that's interesting.

I'm not sure if I like the cyan or white more btw. I keep going back and forth with it.

Klocker

So i let my phone completely discharge. Tried to turn it twice, got the red battery indicator. Third time it did turn on and i got this:

"Negative" integer lol. Now it finally died and wont turn on. Gonna do a full recharge.

doesn't it turn on automatically when plugging it into charger? or are you saying it boots and dies?

iELAsNkCvUvTx.png

Looking at this it looks like it's a software bug. The OS probably keeps on shutting off because the battery drivers are saying its empty.

Liberty4all

Banned
4 hours and 20 min currently usage currently at 56% battery. That's with medium usage mostly surfing and no calls.

I am in a lte area usually with 3 bars ... I may switch to 3g to see how that improves battery life.

The guy I talked to was extremely helpful and he made sure that my data plan would carry over.
My phone arrived with the battery completely drained.

tralfazz

So I heard my girlfriend's 920 talking when she got home and new it was the drive app. I go into her app settings and check the background tasks. It has Drive listed twice...one for the background settings to block and the other is to kill the app.

Is this different? I haven't used Drive yet. I checked everything under settings on both our phones and everything was same version. I was under the assumption that there was no ability to kill any apps so far.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It has been 6.5 hours with another 45 minutes of music, a few pics nd light browsing and I'm at 62%. Not bad. Pretty no WiFi during this time as well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The quality of the camera on this phone, particularly in low light, simply cannot be overstated. It's a generational leap over every other phone out there. I'm still shocked at how good low light photos come out, and its also the first phone I've ever used where the flash doesn't actually ruin the photo. It's a remarkable achievement by Nokia to get that tech in this phone.

thirty

Banned
Ya, Nokia Maps isn't the best right now if you don't already know the address, hopefully they improve it.
found a workaround. Thankfully Bing search is much improved so all you have to do is search through Bing, then "drive" to location and Nokia Drive pulls up.

messed with Yelp and got odd results. After locating business in the yelp app, I hit the directions button and it showed the old Bing maps interface but with Nokia maps. Gotta do more testing with this.

So I never completely drained my battery since I always had great battery life anyways. I decided to do it today and when it finally died I powered it back on and was able to watch an hd movie for an additional 20 minutes before it died with battery saver off. Recharging it now so ill see if a complete battery cycle makes it even better.

The camera fawning isn't working for me. The daytime pictures are over-exposed and white balanced completely blue by default, and the night pictures have a long enough exposure to make things viewable, but the quality isn't anything to write home about. I'm probably just spoiled with my SLR though as I haven't used a phone camera in a while.

Edit: I'll eat crow on Bamelin's photos though, those look great.

Liberty4all

Banned
The camera fawning isn't working for me. The daytime pictures are over-exposed and white balanced completely blue by default, and the night pictures have a long enough exposure to make things viewable, but the quality isn't anything to write home about. I'm probably just spoiled with my SLR though as I haven't used a phone camera in a while.

Edit: I'll eat crow on Bamelin's photos though, those look great.

Its your SLR ... Camera phones still have a long way to go to get to that quality. With that said for a camera phone this is one of the best I'd not THE best you can get right now. Nokia knows about the daylight issues and it will be patched ... Nightime and low lighr pics blows every other camera phone out if the water ... Its a killer feature especially for people like me that will be using this as their only camera. God please let instagram come to wp8

Dead

well not really...yet
Connectivity Shortcuts seems like a pretty essential app. Is there anything not that great about it? Ratings seem good...

Its your SLR ... Camera phones still have a long way to go to get to that quality. With that said for a camera phone this is one of the best I'd not THE best you can get right now. Nokia knows about the daylight issues and it will be patched ... Nightime and low lighr pics blows every other camera phone out if the water ... Its a killer feature especially for people like me that will be using this as their only camera. God please let instagram come to wp8

As I said, your pics looked great. I wasn't seeing it from other people's, but I can appreciate what you did and it IS a testament to the camera.

Liberty4all

Banned
As I said, your pics looked great. I wasn't seeing it from other people's, but I can appreciate what you did and it IS a testament to the camera.

thanks!

To be honest I wasn't really even "trying" with the shots I took either ... In my iPhone 4 those pics would have been dark blurry messes ... On this phone its like Nokia is making up for my inadequacies :p

Any word on what other phones will have WP8 and which are smaller? I know the trend is toward huge phones now, but my partner is in the market for something new in a couple of months, doesn't like iOS, seems to like my phone, but it's too bulky for her (not too heavy...) as she has smaller hands.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't get it, all my music is tagged perfectly, and yet I still have albums that are being split up by different band spellings or some songs with cover art, and some without.

dLMN8R

I don't get it, all my music is tagged perfectly, and yet I still have albums that are being split up by different band spellings or some songs with cover art, and some without.

The Music app is still pretty horrible with recognizing albums right now. I've submitted some of my mis-matched songs directly to the team and they've acknowledges some issues they're still working through.

I was so convinced that my music files were bad, because of the mismatches, that I actually used my iTunes Match account to download the high-quality, prestine versions of my music straight from iTunes, fully tagged and all by iTunes, to try to get them to show up better. Didn't help. Still mis-matching things.

My favorite example: One of my Devin Townsend albums is matching to this:

uxezk.png

I seriously don't fucking get it.

cevansdust

Neo Member
Not sure if this has been said but the Microsoft store in Oakbrook, IL is price matching a 920 Cyan for me at $449. It's worth a look for anyone living near a store.

What is the correct way to power cycle the battery when you first get the phone? Charge it first then drain it, or drain it right from the box and then charge it?

Top Bottom