• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Dead

well not really...yet
Looks like synching directly through WMP is the only way I can retain the consistency of my tags. Go figure...

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I can't afford the 920, but man, it looks incredible in yellow. A green or orange version would have ruined me.

usctrojan

Orange would have been my goto...

Question for those with one: Do your text tones occasionally crackle randomly (any volume)? When I get a text the default tone will sometimes just crackle mid-chime. I can also replicate it when I goto sounds and just play the "message" tones myself.

Thaaaaaanks

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Nokia Drive question; for speech downloads, what's the difference between recorded voice and street name?

Street name will use text to speech to announce the street names. It sounds kinda robotic.

Recorded sounds more natural, but no street names.

Troll

Banned
Orange would have been my goto...

Question for those with one: Do your text tones occasionally crackle randomly (any volume)? When I get a text the default tone will sometimes just crackle mid-chime. I can also replicate it when I goto sounds and just play the "message" tones myself.

Thaaaaaanks

No, sounds like you have busted speakers. When you play music out of them how does it sound?

The quality of the camera on this phone, particularly in low light, simply cannot be overstated. It's a generational leap over every other phone out there. I'm still shocked at how good low light photos come out, and its also the first phone I've ever used where the flash doesn't actually ruin the photo. It's a remarkable achievement by Nokia to get that tech in this phone.

But it's not PureView, because it doesn't have a 41MP sensor. Lets all wait for the true PureView Windows Phone!

Totakeke

Where's the new OT?

Windows Phone 8 |OT| Fashionably Late

Like the OS.

It won't matter anymore when it finally launches... like the OS. Are you trying to make a statement, Brot?

But it's not PureView, because it doesn't have a 41MP sensor. Lets all wait for the true PureView Windows Phone!

Hope so..
The pureview 808 is complete garbage of a phone.
It kept crashing on me when im at a low signal locations, so if your taking a video and the signal is low, there a chance it will crash and not save the video that you recorded. Nokia knows thjs issues but they have no fix.

The camera is top tier for a smartphone though....

NeOak

Hmmm that's interesting.

I'm not sure if I like the cyan or white more btw. I keep going back and forth with it.
Indeed, it was funny to see that.

doesn't it turn on automatically when plugging it into charger? or are you saying it boots and dies?
It turned off, then after trying to turn it on twice (and getting the empty battery image) it turned on and i got what the screenshot shows.

Looking at this it looks like it's a software bug. The OS probably keeps on shutting off because the battery drivers are saying its empty.
Its more likely that the battery came awfully calibrated.

Now, i woke up and this is what i got after unplugging it:

iSrUStUPXDxTZ.png

Not bad.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Haven't seen many shots detailing all the menus so I'm wondering, when you change the background color to white, does it apply to the menus as well, such as the contacts tab? It'd look pretty slick methinks.

I'm baffled at the fact that you guys use the black background setting :p

Edit: Lemonte, if you want to stay true to your name, pick the yellow :D

NeOak

Haven't seen many shots detailing all the menus so I'm wondering, when you change the background color to white, does it apply to the menus as well, such as the contacts tab? It'd look pretty slick methinks.

I'm baffled at the fact that you guys use the black background setting :p

Edit: Lemonte, if you want to stay true to your name, pick the yellow :D

Black saves batttery

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Black saves batttery

I'm willing to sacrifice battery for white. 'sides, the battery's bound to be at least twice as good as my current phone anyway. My biggest problem now is deciding which tile colour to use :p. One of 'em has to go especially well with the yellow shell!

(That's a lie, my biggest problem right now is the fact that I wont get the phone for another 2 weeks and that I can't stop thinking about it)

Where's the new OT?

Windows Phone 8 |OT| Fashionably Late

Like the OS.

It won't matter anymore when it finally launches... like the OS. Are you trying to make a statement, Brot?

Windows Phone 8 |OT| The story of Apollo 13

I know that I'm running out of time and I already delayed it about ... 5 times, I think, but it's currently in testing. To be honest, it's not even that great. Sorry. I already had to cut some features, but they'll be implemented later in an update.

This weekend. Promised.

Totakeke

I know that I'm running out of time and I already delayed it about ... 5 times, I think, but it's currently in testing. I already had to cut some features, but they'll be implemented later in an update.

To be honest, it's not even that great. Sorry.

Aw, it's alright. <3

Milchjon

I know that I'm running out of time and I already delayed it about ... 5 times, I think, but it's currently in testing. To be honest, it's not even that great. Sorry. I already had to cut some features, but they'll be implemented later in an update.

This weekend. Promised.

Just release the TDK already.

NeOak

This doesn't have an OLED screen

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/07/07/27/054249/change-googles-background-color-to-save-energy

"Recent commentary at Nature Climate Change describes an on-going debate about the energy savings associated with the background colors used by high-traffic websites such as Google and the NYTimes. A back of the envelope calculation has suggested energy savings of 750 Megawatt hours per year if Google switched their background from white to black.

It may be minimal, but its there.

PG2G

When you guys are taking your low light pictures, are you just letting the camera do its thing automatically? Choosing a night scene, turning on/off flash?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The fact that you still had to ask just underlines how much people are unwilling to part with their screen protectors. :p

I haven't ever used a screen protector, always thinking "What's the point, they say it's scratch resistant!"

My 3GS? Got scratched from being in my pocket. Also screen cracked after 2 drops lol. (Interesting how it's usually iPhone users with cracked screens.)

My Xperia Arc? Totally scratch resistant! (My most scratched up phone ever, with some pretty deep scratches to boot)

So I'm just wondering whether I should finally invest in a screen protector of some sort, because quite honestly, the 920 is going to be the sexiest phone I ever owned and I want that baby to look fine all the time.

My 920 already has a scratch on its screen.

That's enough for me. How the shit can keys and knifes dont dent the thing but regular use does? Is it microscopic pieces of crap that scratch the screens?

venne

I haven't ever used a screen protector, always thinking "What's the point, they say it's scratch resistant!"

My 3GS? Got scratched from being in my pocket. Also screen cracked after 2 drops lol. (Interesting how it's usually iPhone users with cracked screens.)

My Xperia Arc? Totally scratch resistant! (My most scratched up phone ever, with some pretty deep scratches to boot)

So I'm just wondering whether I should finally invest in a screen protector of some sort, because quite honestly, the 920 is going to be the sexiest phone I ever owned and I want that baby to look fine all the time.

That's enough for me. How the shit can keys and knifes dont dent the thing but regular use does? Is it microscopic pieces of crap that scratch the screens?

http://lifehacker.com/5937324/your-keys-arent-scratching-your-smartphone-its-the-sand-in-your-pocket

tralfazz

Looks like I'm switching to white since online is out of blue, stores don't have it and I have to switch by next Saturday because of the return policy. Not killing me since white is great looking and the screen theme works better with all the colors.

I noticed that the free nokia charger site went live today but it looks like it isn't available to US? It says my IMEI is incorrect?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday, I went from 1pm to midnight. Listened to a couple hours of music, some texting, a few pics a bit of GAF and messing around with apps and the start screen. Left it on at midnight with 23% and the battery saver on. 8 hours later, 10% left.

Seriously, y'all: multiple discharge cycles do wonders for this phone's battery. I let it discharge the first night I got it and was happy with the battery life, because it was at least longer than my 900's, but it was inconsistent. I did another cycle last night.

Been using it for an hour (checked emails, responded to multiple texts, listened to a podcast for ~20 mins) and its still at 99%, whereas yesterday at this time it had dropped to 94% with less use.

The Music app is still pretty horrible with recognizing albums right now. I've submitted some of my mis-matched songs directly to the team and they've acknowledges some issues they're still working through.

I was so convinced that my music files were bad, because of the mismatches, that I actually used my iTunes Match account to download the high-quality, prestine versions of my music straight from iTunes, fully tagged and all by iTunes, to try to get them to show up better. Didn't help. Still mis-matching things.

My favorite example: One of my Devin Townsend albums is matching to this:

uxezk.png

I seriously don't fucking get it.

To be fair, Zune would do this to me. It always matched Lucero:

lucero-women-work.jpeg

with "Lucero":

220px-Lucerovelta.jpg

Even when I downloaded directly from the Zune marketplace.

My 920 already has a scratch on its screen.

As was posted, sand is the enemy. My 900's screen was pretty pristine...until I took it to the beach. Multiple scratches on the screen now.

I noticed that the free nokia charger site went live today but it looks like it isn't available to US? It says my IMEI is incorrect?

UK Only :mad:

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I never go to the beach anyway, so I should be safe, but there's gravel everywhere for some reason. Even in my pockets ):

My night photos come out crappy. Does there have to be some kind of light in the area or can it pitch black?

if it is pitch black then you just get screen of blackness. It's a lowlight camera not night vision camera. For complete darkness, flash on the phone work great unlike most other smartphone camera.

Also Make sure you hold the phone until photo pop up on the screen when you take night time photo.

So, the fact that after a full discharge-recharge my phone says 1 day 3 hours remaining. Based on that above shot of 10 days, my battery seems maybe like its boned. What are other people's full battery times remaining?

NeOak

why are these screenshots so bad?

Because I was using the Office Picture Manager for resizing. For the next one i used Paint.net instead.

So, the fact that after a full discharge-recharge my phone says 1 day 3 hours remaining. Based on that above shot of 10 days, my battery seems maybe like its boned. What are other people's full battery times remaining?

Mine is not a common occurrence. I got a negative value yesterday, so its more likely its still borked for me.

I say borked because it still says:

ivJKnURfhjOz0.png

Unless mine is a one-of-a-kind Lumia 920 with a mini antimatter reactor with Dilithium crystals, its bugged.

Hilarious.

Top Bottom