• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

thirty

Banned
All this talk about evil sand grains makes me wanna buy a screen protector. Anyone recommend a good one, a perfectly fitted one?

NeOak

I got 2 text messages and sent one. Now it shows:

id8vZ4nbGvmSE.png

13 days lol

I had to post it on twitter lol

Milchjon

Looks like even with some of the problems people are having, battery life would be the most rational reason for me to dump my 800 for a 920.

Talon

Seriously, y'all: multiple discharge cycles do wonders for this phone's battery. I let it discharge the first night I got it and was happy with the battery life, because it was at least longer than my 900's, but it was inconsistent. I did another cycle last night.
The FUD around battery cycles is so silly.

All a fully discharge cycle does is recalibrate the phone's ability to estimate percentage. All it's doing is making the indicator read the charge more accurately.

The FUD around battery cycles is so silly.

All a fully discharge cycle does is recalibrate the phone's ability to estimate percentage. All it's doing is making the indicator read the charge more accurately.

Yes, but that's what is needed. Most people are freaking out about what the phone is telling them the battery is doing. If you read back, you'll see several people saying they had 0% left and still were able to use the phone. That's because it was probably more like 10% left and the calibration was off.

Most likely the battery is fine., You just have to ignore (or take with a heavy grain of salt) the percentage and time estimates for the first week or so.

Hell, when I reset the fuel economy estimate on my car, it'll tell me I can go 500 miles on a single tank. It gets more sane after I go through several tanks of gas.

Talon

Yes, but that's what is needed. Most people are freaking out about what the phone is telling them the battery is doing. If you read back, you'll see several people saying they had 0% left and still were able to use the phone. That's because it was probably more like 10% left and the calibration was off.

Most likely the battery is fine., You just have to ignore (or take with a heavy grain of salt) the percentage and time estimates for the first week or so.

Hell, when I reset the fuel economy estimate on my car, it'll tell me I can go 500 miles on a single tank. It gets more sane after I go through several tanks of gas.
Right.

You should probably calibrate your battery once, but doing it over and over again won't actually do anything. You're just being neurotic.

Been using it for podcasts for the last hour. Now I'm down to 98% and 2 days remaining... There is definitely some fun calibration magic working at the moment.

Been using it for podcasts for the last hour. Now I'm down to 98% and 2 days remaining... There is definitely some fun calibration magic working at the moment.

Mine lasted 28 hours from a full charge. This was after one calibration cycle. I just let it go till it died. I made sure I had a charger handy and it worked out that I was home for the evening when it died.

I'm on iPhone 3GS. as going to switch to Galaxy Note 2, but then I held it in my hand- yeah, not oing to happen. I see iPhone as being "faster, better, stronger", but similar experience. Same with Galaxy S3. Am I good for getting Lumia 920? Apps don't matter as much (I have an iPad for that), mainly looking for new experience with using phone + taking pictures and videos.

Troll

Banned
I'm on iPhone 3GS. as going to switch to Galaxy Note 2, but then I held it in my hand- yeah, not oing to happen. I see iPhone as being "faster, better, stronger", but similar experience. Same with Galaxy S3. Am I good for getting Lumia 920? Apps don't matter as much (I have an iPad for that), mainly looking for new experience with using phone + taking pictures and videos.

I think you would love the 920 then.

Anyone else noticing that the phone gets really hot on the top when web browsing for a while?

SeanR1221

Uninstalled Kik. Almost 5 hours and I'm at 99%.

Also my time remaining is messed up. It has said 16 hours left since I unplugged it.

Milchjon

Sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.

I also think Nokia should play up the low light capabilities even more. When I think about how many of my pictures were ruined/never taken because of darkness...

Good things happen at night, too.

I just joined the party from iPhone 4 (and I still have an iPad 2). I needed something new just for the hell of it and am enjoying this a lot.

From my impressions the Lumia/WP8 is a more solid communication device, while the iPhone is a more solid 'all-in-one' device. I'm really enjoying the integrated social networking stuff and the phone overall is some fun tech.

WP8 has some niggles though, but coming from a 3GS I don't think any of them will bother you for long. Your eyes will be joyfully blinded enough by the amazing display that you may forget whatever is bothering you.

Edit: Anyone else's Weather app acting stupid since the update? Mine isn't a 'Livetile' anymore at the smallest, which is a bummer.

Uh oh!

no idea if that picture worked or not (would be pretty cool if it did since I have only used my phone) but I went to bed with 80% battery and woke up with 16%!

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
My phone is finally coming today(I hope).

I can't wait. Finally get to see what you guys are talking about.

Ragus

Banned
Wooho, I might have a sweet deal. A friend of mine who comes to my country on the next week, can buy me a Cyan Lumia 920 from UK.

One question though, is a UK Lumia a multi-band device? I want to know, if I'll be able to stick my micro sim card into it with no problem.

SUCCESS! I bought a no-commitment Lumia 920 and just scored a free wireless charger via ATT Chat Support.

Told them that I saw all pre-orders would get a wireless charger, and that the site still says they are being offered (eliminating possibility of "first-come-first-served/we're out of stock" arguments). After a short wait, the rep said it will be sent 30 days after the activation date of my phone, to ensure it's not returned.

Not as great as getting it with the pre-order, but I'll take it.

dLMN8R

I have my Lumia 920 set to push email for both my corporate Exchange server and for gmail. I get quite a bit of email in both.

After browsing the web for a while and reading through some news feeds and twitter during my bus ride to work, a little bit of other stuff, and then having it sit otherwise unused for the ~5-6 hours since I woke up, my battery is now down to 80%. The phone estimates roughly 16-17 hours left.

Lucifon

Wooho, I might have a sweet deal. A friend of mine who comes to my country on the next week, can buy me a Cyan Lumia 920 from UK.

One question though, is a UK Lumia a multi-band device? I want to know, if I'll be able to stick my micro sim card into it with no problem.

Wow any chance you could ask where he's getting a Cyan one from? I'm in the UK and as far as I was aware noones offering the Cyan one in the UK! I was thinking I'd have to settle with a black as I hate the glossy finish on the red/yellow (personally think it makes it look abit cheap and tacky).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have two Hotmail accounts and one imap account that I use. I have it check every 15 minutes for one and 30 minutes for the other two.

dLMN8R

Just beware that your first day using the Lumia might scare you from a battery perspective. For the most part though, it just takes a day or two and a couple full discharges/recharges for the battery meter to calibrate right.

Nokia Drive is a huge battery hog - if you use it, make sure to use Settings to outright kill it when you're done.

NFC is another culprit that can drain battery pretty significantly. Mines on and I haven't noticed anything terrible, but just something to keep in mind. If you don't need it, may as well keep it off.

Ragus

Banned
Wow any chance you could ask where he's getting a Cyan one from? I'm in the UK and as far as I was aware noones offering the Cyan one in the UK! I was thinking I'd have to settle with a black as I hate the glossy finish on the red/yellow (personally think it makes it look abit cheap and tacky).

Really? He told me, that he is getting it with his new contract with one of the providers.

Strange. So there is no Cyan Lumia 920 in the UK?

Lucifon

Really? He told me, that he is getting it with his new contract with one of the providers.

Strange. So there is no Cyan Lumia 920 in the UK?

The only providers in the UK selling it are EE, tmobile and orange - all of which are the same parent company (bloody exclusivity deal). None of them have Cyan :(

SeanR1221

So after a full day of work and light useage over 9 hours my battery was at 70%. Not bad not bad at all.

I re installed kik. While I was gone my friends sent 170 messages. Jesus.

100 twinkies to Raist!

Top Bottom