• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Chittagong

Gold Member
Heading towards 1AM, phone has been off the charger since 8AM. Moderate use, reading emails, news, Facebook, taken pictures, also have Skype & Facebook & Lync all online and Exchange mail on push mode, two Gmail accounts and a CNN homescreen. 45% battery left. Massively better than Lumia 800 battery.

Totakeke

Really? Maybe they fixed the issues since then. When I was using it it really felt that they didn't put much effort into it at all.

toff74

Um.. i need some help.
I wanted to hard reset my phone so i did as i did with the HD7.. as in VOL up and down and the power button. NOw i'm stuck at a bootup screen with lighttening bolt and the settings cog.

Someone please help.. thank you.

toff74

Um.. i need some help.
I wanted to hard reset my phone so i did as i did with the HD7.. as in VOL up and down and the power button. NOw i'm stuck at a bootup screen with lighttening bolt and the settings cog.

Panic fixed.. phew. Just pressed all the buttons for 4-5 seconds. Phew!!!

Dead

well not really...yet
Been browsing reddit on my 920 for the past 20 minutes while the battery was on 0% the whole time...and still is!.

Razdek

Banned
Been having issues trying to get the phone unlocked as two sites I tried said they couldn't find it in the database. Those that buying it off contract and want to get it unlocked make sure you do it at the store as it's been a hassle to do it.

might have to return the phone if I can't get it unlocked.

Dead

well not really...yet
lol and another 20 minutes on 0% while playing Angry Birds Star Wars, and it finally shut down.

Battery is at 0 and still works, you can't explain that!

Guess I should leave it off and charge it now...lol

For the first full days use, the phone started at 75% when I first started using it (charged to 100 last night) and lasted about 9 hours and a half. Heavy internet use, music playing in my car for about an hour, downloading apps and updates, a few calls, email and texted a bit.

cube444

Been having issues trying to get the phone unlocked as two sites I tried said they couldn't find it in the database. Those that buying it off contract and want to get it unlocked make sure you do it at the store as it's been a hassle to do it.

might have to return the phone if I can't get it unlocked.

Did you buy it from Rogers?

Razdek

Banned
Did you buy it from Rogers?

No, from best buy mobile store. I just emailed someone local and they said they can do it so hopefully it works. I went to a Rogers store and they said they couldn't unlock it because it would void the warranty which is weird because the best buy rep said to go there to get it unlocked.

No, from best buy mobile store. I just emailed someone local and they said they can do it so hopefully it works. I went to a Rogers store and they said they couldn't unlock it because it would void the warranty which is weird because the best buy rep said to go there to get it unlocked.

Someones screwing with you, try going to a separate Rogers store and ask them to unlock it. If they say no, demand it.

Razdek

Banned
Someones screwing with you, try going to a separate Rogers store and ask them to unlock it. If they say no, demand it.

I went to a Rogers Plus store and then a Rogers affiliate and they both said they couldn't do it. Don't know what the big is that's an easy $50.

cube444

Where do you live? Both Rogers stores near me would do it for you.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well fuck me, WP8 doesn't support the security measures of my Uni's wifi. Why? Makes no sense. To be more specific it doesn't have EAP TTLS support. Apparently desktop Win8 does. If the two are so similar why the shit can't WP8 use it?

Hey at least they're "looking into it". But I'd probably be better off nagging the techies to make a web-based portal, they already have one for guests so they should be able to adapt it for students too, but it's Sweden, it'll never happen lol ):

A7san69CEAEIo6n.png

Have they said this before in regards to WP7/7,5? God I hope the WP team doesn't use Valve-Time.. Maybe they're keeping it exclusive to WP9 so users have a reason to upgrade.

NeOak

Well fuck me, WP8 doesn't support the security measures of my Uni's wifi. Why? Makes no sense. To be more specific it doesn't have EAP TTLS support. Apparently desktop Win8 does. If the two are so similar why the shit can't WP8 use it?

Hey at least they're "looking into it". But I'd probably be better off nagging the techies to make a web-based portal, they already have one for guests so they should be able to adapt it for students too, but it's Sweden, it'll never happen lol ):

A7san69CEAEIo6n.png

Have they said this before in regards to WP7/7,5? God I hope the WP team doesn't use Valve-Time.. Maybe they're keeping it exclusive to WP9 so users have a reason to upgrade.

WP8 is based on W8 RT.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
WP8 is based on W8 RT.

I'm not knowledgable in the subject, what implications does that have? :p

Edit: What I mean is that I fail to see how that would have any effect on what sort of wifi encryption methods are available on WP8. I mean smartphones are the most portable devices, wouldn't you want them to have as many options as possible?

SeanR1221

lol and another 20 minutes on 0% while playing Angry Birds Star Wars, and it finally shut down.

Battery is at 0 and still works, you can't explain that!

Guess I should leave it off and charge it now...lol

For the first full days use, the phone started at 75% when I first started using it (charged to 100 last night) and lasted about 9 hours and a half. Heavy internet use, music playing in my car for about an hour, downloading apps and updates, a few calls, email and texted a bit.

Same happened to me, and I just plugged my phone in about 20 minutes ago. Lasted pretty good today.

Got to 10% around 10:30 so 14 hours of use.

Totakeke

I'm not knowledgable in the subject, what implications does that have? :p

Edit: What I mean is that I fail to see how that would have any effect on what sort of wifi encryption methods are available on WP8. I mean smartphones are the most portable devices, wouldn't you want them to have as many options as possible?

I still believe WP8 was mostly a developer targeted release along with the kernel switch and they didn't have much time to implement other things on their checklist.

Why something like Kid's corner got the priority is odd though.

toff74

Um.. i need some help.

I thought it was fixed because it just rebooted and went to the Nokia logo.. not its been stuck on it for nearly 6 hours. I think my phone has a problem. does anyone here know if there's anything that can be done to save my phone from being returned?

Troll

Banned
I thought it was fixed because it just rebooted and went to the Nokia logo.. not its been stuck on it for nearly 6 hours. I think my phone has a problem. does anyone here know if there's anything that can be done to save my phone from being returned?

Let the battery die. Hopefully that fixes it. If not then you need a new phone, not the worst thing in the world.

toff74

Let the battery die. Hopefully that fixes it. If not then you need a new phone, not the worst thing in the world.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll give that a try.. hopefully it fixes the problem.

Like you say though, if not i'll just take a trip down to the local P4U for a swap. Hopefully they can do it as i bought it over the phone.. hmmm!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I still believe WP8 was mostly a developer targeted release along with the kernel switch and they didn't have much time to implement other things on their checklist.

Why something like Kid's corner got the priority is odd though.

So rushed release to meet demands from developers, is what you're saying? Why on earth would they put a pretty important thing like wifi standards on the backburner though?

"Likely coming" just sounds like there's a chance of them ignoring it altogether. I know this was the case with WP7 as a whole. So I'm kind of worried. 'spose I'll have to set up some wifi at home for app downloading and such, unless you can download apps through your PC and then transfer them to the phone?

Yazan

I am thinking about leaving Android for this, but I have one issue. How easy is it to sync contacts , calenders, etc from my google account?

Totakeke

So rushed release to meet demands from developers, is what you're saying? Why on earth would they put a pretty important thing like wifi standards on the backburner though?

Nah, they just didn't have time to do all the things they wanted to do when you also had to port their OS into a new kernel. They obviously couldn't say that they needed more time either. I think prioritizing developer needs is the right thing to do. I don't know about EAP-TLS WiFi support though, I guess their data tells them it's not that commonly used and thus was put at a lower priority.

Milchjon

I am thinking about leaving Android for this, but I have one issue. How easy is it to sync contacts , calenders, etc from my google account?

Contacts and calendars work very well. Some people complain about limited Gmail functionality, but as someone who doesn't get a whole lot of mail and only uses it for reading/sending, I've never had any kind of problem with it either.

Now other Google services are a whole different matter...

toff74

Like you say though, if not i'll just take a trip down to the local P4U for a swap. Hopefully they can do it as i bought it over the phone.. hmmm!

Just an update for anyone that's interested..

I called the P4U technical helpdesk, who were actually very helpful. They ran through all the things like plug in, unplug, switch off then on again. once the phone was deemed borked, they said that even though I bought the phone over the phone i'd be able to return it to a shop with an exchange ref, which the chap kindly gave me.

When it came to dealing with retail P4U it was another thing altogether. The first shop were cool when I asked if they stocked the yellow 920. LOADS I was initially told.. then when I told them the reason why, the chap went quiet and said he needed to speak with his manager. Surprise, surprise, when he came back saying his store only had 1 left and that it was reserved. He advised me to call their other shop just over the road from where they were.

This call was great.. I did the same thing.. enquired about the handset first.. they were all jolly like. Then, again when I explained what for I got a 'if they say you can do it you must be able to!' so I asked them to reserve one for me and i'd be there in an hour. I got a 'Yep!' and a hungup phone'

Off I go for the exchange!!

Yippee!!!

That is one of the known "defect" with 920, it doesn't boot back up after hard reset. So I think you do have a clunker. Why did you do a hard reset anyway? Did it froze on you?

Here are some of the known issues with 920 from WPCentral forum

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-l...ct-checklist-new-future-lumia-920-owners.html

Battery drain
Some people are reporting that their battery power is drained after just a few hours. Solutions: make sure only background apps you intend to run are actually running; close out of apps when you're not using them by pressing the back button; let the phone go through a few charging cycles; Nokia Drive running in the background is a common culprit - look out for the accompanying icon and be sure to close out of it and other apps properly.

Dust under screen
Only read of one such complaint. My guess is this is a one-off. If this is an issue the only solution is to exchange your handset.

Freezes/restarts
This seems to be happening quite frequently. People have reported freezing and/or restarting while doing the following: installing apps, using bluetooth, using NFC, and playing games. Test all of these things and ensure that your phone isn't freezing. If it does this often, exchange your Lumia 920 for another one.

Sound from speakers crackling/distorted/stuttering
People report that this is happening especially at higher volumes. Others are hailing how loud and crisp the sound is coming out of their Lumia 920 speakers. Obviously it makes sense to test this (with music, ringtones, etc.) when you get your handset. If you experience these problems, you probably need to exchange your handset.

Vibration rattle
This might not even be considered a defect. This is just how the phone vibrates. The Lumia 900 was the same. There's no need to exchange your Lumia 920 for this issue.

Green spot in front-facing camera view
One or two members have reported an odd green spot appearing in the view from their front-facing camera. This is a defect and you should exchange the device.

Overheating
This has been another widely-reported one. This is somewhat subjective and partly depends on what devices you're used to. Still, some have reported the phone gets uncomfortably warm, while others say it stays cool to the touch. If you're experiencing this, check to make sure there aren't a bunch of apps running in the background (things like Nokia Drive). Overheating is typically synonymous with heavy battery discharge, so ensuring there aren't too many apps running is a possible solution. If you're sure that isn't the issue, you should consider swapping out your Lumia 920 for a new one.

White colors appearing "greyish"
It seems whites aren't quite as vivid on the display as they were on the Lumia 900 for instance, and have a slightly greyish hue to them. This doesn't appear to be a defect, just how the phone is. Some don't even notice. This isn't something that will be fixed by exchanging your device, so hold onto your Lumia 920 if you have no other issues.

Daytime photos
We all know how great low-light photography is with the Lumia 920, but some people are complaining that daytime photos aren't as sharp as they should be. It's said that this is merely a software issue and that Nokia will be fixing it soon. This doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, so if it's not too bothersome, keep your device. Apparently fiddling with some of the settings will fix this, but nobody wants to do that every time they use the camera during the day, hence the pending Nokia fix.

Bluetooth pairing
A number of members are reporting problems pairing their Lumia 920s to their vehicles. Some have reported that pairing worked just fine, so this isn't universal. It is widespread however. So far no solution to this has been found. Best thing to do is monitor what people are discovering about the problem before exchanging your device. Also, try pairing your Lumia 920 with various devices to ensure it isn't a wider problem with the phone.

Bricked handset
Kind of scary, but several people are reporting their devices no longer boot-up after doing a hard reset. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you after the refund period is up. You should definitely exchange your Lumia 920 for a new one if this happens to you.

"Likely coming" just sounds like there's a chance of them ignoring it altogether. I know this was the case with WP7 as a whole. So I'm kind of worried. 'spose I'll have to set up some wifi at home for app downloading and such, unless you can download apps through your PC and then transfer them to the phone?

I think some apps can be download over the web via Windowsphone website but some are restricted however such as those exclusive apps either through carriers or OEM.

Liberty4all

Banned

I was disappointed at first that they didn't have any wireless plates in stock but the standup charger is really growing in me. It has NFC built in so when I put my phone on the stand it will automatically keep the lock screen showing (for instance).

Edit: quick correction ... It appears that the NFC will only launch apps ... I don't see any way to make the default my lock screen. No biggie, time to look for a nice clock app.

Really slick and looks great.

Also, just to let everyone know, the wireless charger still works even if the phone is in a bumper case.

kharma45

I was disappointed at first that they didn't have any wireless plates in stock but the standup charger is really growing in me. It has NFC built in so when I put my phone on the stand it will automatically keep the lock screen showing (for instance).

Edit: quick correction ... It appears that the NFC will only launch apps ... I don't see any way to make the default my lock screen. No biggie, time to look for a nice clock app.

Also, just to let everyone know, the wireless charger still works even if the phone is in a bumper case.

Congrats on the 920, hope you enjoy it :)

A7san69CEAEIo6n.png

ffs, how can this still be the case?! Fucking idiots.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Hotness. Could you take a picture of the plug?

Yes, I'm weird like that.

Bullza2o

I just want to make sure once again: does anyone else have some "backlight" thing when viewing the phone at an angle from the top? Kind of like the DS backlight when viewed at the same angle.

cube444

I just want to make sure once again: does anyone else have some "backlight" thing when viewing the phone at an angle from the top? Kind of like the DS backlight when viewed at the same angle.

This is called "light leaking" and I've read where some 920s suffer from it.

Top Bottom