• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

toff74

That is one of the known "defect" with 920, it doesn't boot back up after hard reset. So I think you do have a clunker. Why did you do a hard reset anyway? Did it froze on you?

Here are some of the known issues with 920 from WPCentral forum

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-l...ct-checklist-new-future-lumia-920-owners.html

I was having all sorts of problems downloading apps from the store and connecting to networks either wireless or otherwise, so I though i'd give it a hard reset.... I loved the look of the phone, it just wasn't working as well as the HD7 it replaced.

Oh.. the new one flies through downloads. Loving the phone all over again. The Cinemagraph app is a blast lol

Been using the phone after a discharge/charge yesterday morning at 8:30 AM and it just died today. Pretty moderate use, including downloading several podcasts, an album, uploading a video, and regular IE/email/text (including sending images). Happy with it!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wow the screen looks awesome outside when its bright. Extremely impressed.

I don't know what it does, but it actually looks way different. For a half second, the icons and such has a slight "watercolor" type texture before it readjusts. It's the best daylight display I've ever used for sure.

NeOak

I don't know what it does, but it actually looks way different. For a half second, the icons and such has a slight "watercolor" type texture before it readjusts. It's the best daylight display I've ever used for sure.

It brightens up the black color so it doesnt become a mirror under the sun. Easier said than done though.

Razdek

Banned
Still can't get this phone unlocked from Rogers and this is after calling customer care, going to two more Rogers stores that keep referring me to phone unlockers. I've tried two online sites that couldn't do it so I think this thing is going back. I don't understand why it's so hard to unlock this thing when I'm willing to pay the $50 fee.

cube444

Still can't get this phone unlocked from Rogers and this is after calling customer care, going to two more Rogers stores that keep referring me to phone unlockers. I've tried two online sites that couldn't do it so I think this thing is going back. I don't understand why it's so hard to unlock this thing when I'm willing to pay the $50 fee.

Shame you are out so far man. Lots of places here in Toronto would have had it unlocked by now.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was playing some Carcassone and I was getting heat at the top, backside of the phone like other people have been mentioning.

zedge

Have you tried cellunlocker.net? Got a few codes from them.

Raistlin

Ok thanks guys. Is there a chance it might spread out more?
it actually disappears and reappears again at times.
If I look from the top, I can see a small glow to the left of the Windows button bleed through. However I cannot see it at anything remotely close to a normal viewing angle. So I don't consider it a problem.

If you can see it at your normal viewing angle that's an issue though. As for spreading more, that would only happen if there's a serious construction flaw and things are moving around/breaking apart. Obviously in that case you'd want a new one. If the phone seems solid and stable though ... it shouldn't get worse.

Wow the screen looks awesome outside when its bright. Extremely impressed.
Yeah I wish the press would get on this fact more.

Definitely the best outdoor display I've used that isn't eInk. Pretty impressive accomplishment ... and one that you get to take advantage of on a regular basis.

Raistlin

The have some custom software running tied to the light sensor. Instead of just upping the brightness like most phones, it actually modifies the contrast and color balance to make it more viewable. I suppose it may loose some accuracy for looking at photos when in that special color mode, but I'll take that over not actually being able to see anything :p

Also, they incorporate their 'clear black' layer that helps reduce ambient light reflections and improve contrast. Lastly the combination of a really bright backlight (when on full) combined with a bonded screen yields some of the highest nits (brightness) of any handset.

The Lumia 900's screen was already pretty awesome under natural light. Different tech, but still.
Well the clear black is shared between them ... but the special color/contrast mode, high output backlight, and bonded screen are all new.

I know man, it really sucks not being able to get it done.

I can't believe our Cell phone situation some times. You paid their overcharged price to buy the phone off contract... Why the hell isn't it unlocked already? It's so stupid and makes zero sense.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Got my phone and set it up!

I feel like I need a tutorial on this camera. For some reason the flash always goes off for me.

SeanR1221

Yeah, make a thread so we can post stuff like this

wp20121117010.jpg

wp20121117012.jpg

zedge

They can't unlock 920s yet.

Was talking to guy at Wireless wave at Chinook today. He said there are no unlock keys available through the normal channel right now. Not sure if Rogers can even unlock them.

On a side note, we upgraded the kids phone to an HTC 8X.. wow.. I'm so jealous.. haha

Razdek

Banned
I can't believe our Cell phone situation some times. You paid their overcharged price to buy the phone off contract... Why the hell isn't it unlocked already? It's so stupid and makes zero sense.

I finally got this thing unlocked but with all that I had to do and the hassle Rogers put me through I'm never going to go through this again. For any Canadians that want to unlock it and use it on another network this is what I had to go through:

- Bought the phone out of contract for $599 at a Best Buy mobilty store to use with Bell. Was told that I could unlock it by calling Rogers for a $50 fee

- Tried two websites to unlock it and they said it wasn't in the database so they couldn't. Tried a local guy and he couldn't do it either

- Went to a Rogers affiliate store and they referred me to another local phone unlocker. Went to the Rogers Plus store and they also referred me to another local unlocker. Called Rogers to tell them I wanted to unlock it and they said I couldn't

- Called Rogers again the next day and they said they could unlock it but I needed to have a Rogers account active with the $50 fee. Went to a Rogers store to open up a Pay and Go account which required me to pay $10 for the account and $10 for a microSIM

- Opened up the Rogers account, put in $50 credit and called to unlock. Spent an hour on the phone with them telling me they couldn't find my IMEI code and bounced around from technician to technician

- Then they tell me that the fee is $50 + tax so I had to put another $10 into the account since they only allow $10 increments and finally after an hour an a half on the phone I get it unlocked

Then my local unlocker tells me that in about two weeks the database is going to get updated and he could unlock it then. I spent $80 to unlock the phone and it was a horrible experience so beware fellow Canadians that want to do the same. Sorry for the long rant but I just wanted to share my experience with others so hopefully they don't have to go through the same thing.

zedge

I finally got this thing unlocked but with all that I had to do and the hassle Rogers put me through I'm never going to go through this again. For any Canadians that want to unlock it and use it on another network this is what I had to go through:

- Bought the phone out of contract for $599 at a Best Buy mobilty store to use with Bell. Was told that I could unlock it by calling Rogers for a $50 fee

- Tried two websites to unlock it and they said it wasn't in the database so they couldn't. Tried a local guy and he couldn't do it either

- Went to a Rogers affiliate store and they referred me to another local phone unlocker. Went to the Rogers Plus store and they also referred me to another local unlocker. Called Rogers to tell them I wanted to unlock it and they said I couldn't

- Called Rogers again the next day and they said they could unlock it but I needed to have a Rogers account active with the $50 fee. Went to a Rogers store to open up a Pay and Go account which required me to pay $10 for the account and $10 for a microSIM

- Opened up the Rogers account, put in $50 credit and called to unlock. Spent an hour on the phone with them telling me they couldn't find my IMEI code and bounced around from technician to technician

- Then they tell me that the fee is $50 + tax so I had to put another $10 into the account since they only allow $10 increments and finally after an hour an a half on the phone I get it unlocked

Then my local unlocker tells me that in about two weeks the database is going to get updated and he could unlock it then. I spent $80 to unlock the phone and it was a horrible experience so beware fellow Canadians that want to do the same. Sorry for the long rant but I just wanted to share my experience with others so hopefully they don't have to go through the same thing.

This really blows.. I may end up getting the HTC 8X instead on Bell so I don't have to go through the hassle. Every cell phone shop at Chinook was sold out of the Lumia's, they only got a handful, most didn't even get the HTC 8X. Wireless wave only had the one. What a sad launch for these phones.

Razdek

Banned
This really blows.. I may end up getting the HTC 8X instead on Bell so I don't have to go through the hassle. Every cell phone shop at Chinook was sold out of the Lumia's, they only got a handful, most didn't even get the HTC 8X. Wireless wave only had the one. What a sad launch for these phones.

No kidding, this whole launch has brought my excitement down for the product and I have to ask myself if it was really worth it to get one right now. This was also my first time with Rogers support and they are horrible compared to Bell. If I were you I'd go with Bell and not go through what I had to and waste the time and money.

thirty

Banned
Club Pureview: thread of Cinemagraphs, rich recorded video, stunning low light, and so so day pics :-/

Club Pureview: *velvet rope* no floating lens? GTFO

help, anyone got ideas?

Raistlin

Club Pureview: thread of Cinemagraphs, rich recorded video, stunning low light, and so so day pics :-/

Club Pureview: *velvet rope* no floating lens? GTFO

help, anyone got ideas?
lol ... do it

Though you might want to reword it to Club Pureview *Velvet Rope* Thread of Floating Lenses or GTFO

or something?

thirty

Banned
lol ... do it

Though you might want to reword it to Club Pureview *Velvet Rope* Thread of Floating Lenses or GTFO

or something?
that works, someone please start this. I'm only on mobile til later tonight.

damn vids are so impressive on this. So good I wanna strap my 920 on my forehead and video life blog random sheeet.

Dead

well not really...yet
Day 2 of full use, 100% charge at 8am, currently 9:15 pm and at 72%. Lots of camera use, a few calls, some texting, about an hours worth of music, and intermittent LTE internet usage through the day.

Yeah, I think im good with the battery.

No kidding, this whole launch has brought my excitement down for the product and I have to ask myself if it was really worth it to get one right now. This was also my first time with Rogers support and they are horrible compared to Bell. If I were you I'd go with Bell and not go through what I had to and waste the time and money.

Your experience seriously wants me to look at getting an 8X on Bell and saying screw the Lumia.

I really want to support Nokia, but I absolutely DO NOT want to support Rogers. Why Nokia...Why would you go with the worst provider...WHY!

Liberty4all

Banned
You're experience seriously wants me to look at getting an 8X on Bell and saying screw the Lumia.

I really want to support Nokia, but I absolutely DO NOT want to support Rogers. Why Nokia...Why would you go with the worst provider...WHY!

both Rogers and bell are bad. The key with Rogers is to refuse to speak with anyone accept retentions/loyalty. First tier support is a joke, you HAVE to speak to second tier support -- "customer relations" to get anything accomplished.

Liberty4all

Banned
Also, I'm worried about my battery too. This will be my third night fully discharging to try to calibrate. Phone battery indicator says 0, phone dies, but then I turn it back on and use it for another half hour.

Magni

Finally decided tonight that I'll save my money for now. I'll wait for AT&T to lose their exclusivity in the US (6 months, right?) before buying, unless a crazy deal pops up in the meantime.

I bought a Galaxy Nexus as a stopgap in July, and even though I hate Android and my brother is willing to buy it from me for $200 (half what I paid for it then), I just can't bring myself to justify buying a Lumia 920 now.

Note to Microsoft/Nokia: this is what happens when you put too many obstacles in front of potential customers - you lost what almost certainly would have been an impulse buy.

Sadface. At least I still have my Omnia 7 for if I ever get OS-homesick.. even if it doesn't have data here I can still use it at home on WiFi :D

Top Bottom