• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

PG2G

In 6 months we'll probably be looking at new devices, so I guess that works out. Hopefully something good will come to Verizon. I think its safe to say no carrier is going to pick up a 6 month old device.

cevansdust

Neo Member
Just got my Cyan Lumia! It's a thing of beauty. It just feels so nice in hand, like a solid piece of cutting edge.

Question: I'm going to activate my phone tomorrow or Monday. I am switching from Verizon to straight talk. I received my sim card today. My question is, I want to keep my existing Verizon number to use on straight talk. Do I need to contact Verizon first to cancel my service and explain I want to keep my number or will the activation process of porting the number with straight talk take care of all of this?

both Rogers and bell are bad. The key with Rogers is to refuse to speak with anyone accept retentions/loyalty. First tier support is a joke, you HAVE to speak to second tier support -- "customer relations" to get anything accomplished.

But what good is it if you are stuck in a contract. Unless you have your own device or are off contract they'll just laugh in your face.

Me: "You better do X+Y Or I'll leave"
Rogers: "Alright, well if you want to leave it's going to cost you $x00 plus your monthly fee for however many months you have left"
Me: "..."

Anyhow, I have to wait till December before this contract on my parents 4 year old blackberry is up before I can move on to a different phone, so I get to spend a fun amount of time learning about who is the least of the evils before I jump in to get screwed over for three years.

Nokia drive an Bing work pretty good. Nokia even put me on the ferry as the fastest way to get to Seattle. Low light camera is god-tier. Outdoor viewing is awesome in daylight. It's too bad most people will never experience this phone because they eco-system are pretty much set to Android and iPhone.

dnLt4.jpg

oLluv.jpg

Oh and Nokia Drive is a battery killer.

Also, I'm worried about my battery too. This will be my third night fully discharging to try to calibrate. Phone battery indicator says 0, phone dies, but then I turn it back on and use it for another half hour.

May be your phone is like James Bond, it does "resurrection".

thirty

Banned
wierd bug arose. i've been messing with the equalizer and my volume seemed to drop by a 1/3 even though it showed maxed at 30. a simple power off/on seemed to fix it.

hwalker84

Nokia drive an Bing work pretty good. Nokia even put me on the ferry as the fastest way to get to Seattle. Low light camera is god-tier. Outdoor viewing is awesome in daylight. It's too bad most people will never experience this phone because they eco-system are pretty much set to Android and iPhone.

Oh and Nokia Drive is a battery killer.

Low light video is god tier also. Just checked out all this concert footage I took tonight and its amazing. I'll upload some tomorrow.

Troll

Banned
Club Pureview: thread of Cinemagraphs, rich recorded video, stunning low light, and so so day pics :-/

Club Pureview: *velvet rope* no floating lens? GTFO

help, anyone got ideas?

Maybe we could just all follow each other on Instagram.

cube444

I'm hearing that people have bought the phone from Rogers for $599 and then have realized that you NEED a Rogers account in order to unlock it. The Rogers reps say it's $50 to unlock but here's an example of a buyer from BC:

Phone - $599 + 12% tax = $670.88

Then:

$10 for SIM
$25 for Activation
$60 for Top up
=$95 + 12% tax = $106.40

Total: $777.28

What a joke.

Totakeke

I'm hearing that people have bought the phone from Rogers for $599 and then have realized that you NEED a Rogers account in order to unlock it. The Rogers reps say it's $50 to unlock but here's an example of a buyer from BC:

Then:

$10 for SIM
$25 for Activation
$60 for Top up
= $95 + 12% tax = $106.40

What a joke.

Can't you get a guy with a Rogers account to do it then?

Ragus

Banned
Ok, just ordered yellow one. Can't wait :D.

Few quick questions:

-is there any toogle on desktop, where I can quickly change WiFi/3G/brightness settings?
-can I create my own icons for apps?
-how is the music player? After jumping from iPhone, I was not a big fan of android players. Sure, they had more options, but no way they were as intuitive as the one from iPhone. How is it handled here?

maeh2k

-is there any toogle on desktop, where I can quickly change WiFi/3G/brightness settings?
-can I create my own icons for apps?

There are some apps in the market place to create tiles. With these you can create tiles that directly lead to Wifi, 3G, and maybe also brightness (not sure about that one) settings and you can customize how those tiles look. It's also possible to create other tiles oneself with specific text or maybe for websites. However, I don't think you can create tiles for apps yourself.

TTOOLL

All this talk about about unlocking phones made feel kind of happy about living in Brazil,it's a rare thing...

Here the carriers are obligated to unlock your phone for free, it's the law. So, basically, every single phone you buy can be used in any carrier.

Unfortunately I can only buy my Lumia here around March 2013...this is a joke...

Kafel

Banned
Where is the Lumia 820 ?

I had the 920 in the palm of my hand and it's really too big and too heavy (I have big hands). I love Windows Phone but I don't want a real tile in my pocket.

kharma45

Where is the Lumia 820 ?

I had the 920 in the palm of my hand and it's really too big and too heavy (I have big hands). I love Windows Phone but I don't want a real tile in my pocket.

Held one a few weeks ago, still large enough but I preferred the feel of the 920 in my hand.

Razdek

Banned

Then:

$10 for SIM
$25 for Activation
$60 for Top up
=$95 + 12% tax = $106.40

What a joke.

It's a complete joke and we're fans of the product so this thing won't fly with normal customers. Sorry but Rogers has got to be the worst of the 3 carriers I've ever had to deal with.

Razdek

Banned
Yes, that is another option. But you are passed through 4-5 people on the phone for over an hour. :lol

This guy here speaks the truth. My phone call went like this:

Support -> Customer Relations -> back to Support -> back to Customer Relations who told me his system was getting upgraded so he couldn't help me -> Another Customer Relations person -> Unlocker

Wasted an hour and a half on the phone and had to retell what I wanted to each person. I felt I was in Rogers hell.

Roko

Woke up this morning and my 920 was off. I turned it on and got the low battery warning. I had charged it in the evening to 100% so that's a little weird. Something must have been running in the background but I have no idea what that might have been...it certainly wasn't navigation, though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I probably would have switched from Rogers, but it would have been too expensive since I was still on the old contract system. Next time it should be less expensive.

cube444

Support -> Customer Relations -> back to Support -> back to Customer Relations who told me his system was getting upgraded so he couldn't help me -> Another Customer Relations person -> Unlocker

Wasted an hour and a half on the phone and had to retell what I wanted to each person. I felt I was in Rogers hell.

:lol I feel for you man. Have you at least been enjoying the phone yet?

maeh2k

Do any of you use a case for the 920? My mother doesn't have hers yet, but since the glass of her last phone broke in an unfortunate fall, it would be best if she got a case soon.

On Amazon(.de) there are already a couple of different silicone shells and handful of flip cases (including a very nice wallet-style one that comes in various colors).

Edit: Would inductive charging still work (reasonably well) when the phone is in a silicon or plastic/leather case? There's already some plastic between the charging coil and the charger, so I'm guessing it would still work, right?

Razdek

Banned

I don't really know how to feel about the phone after going through all this work to get it unlocked. My first night with it using LTE the battery life was terrible as I had charged it at 6PM and it was already dead at around 1AM. When I was using it just as a Wi-Fi device the battery was good but now I know what everyone is talking about.

Internet Sharing doesn't work on Bell and I'm having issues with MMS at the moment. I still have a few days to play with it and take it back to the store and take the $90 hit for unlocking it so I'll have see if I'm going to keep it.

NeOak

I don't really know how to feel about the phone after going through all this work to get it unlocked. My first night with it using LTE the battery life was terrible as I had charged it at 6PM and it was already dead at around 1AM. When I was using it just as a Wi-Fi device the battery was good but now I know what everyone is talking about.

Internet Sharing doesn't work on Bell and I'm having issues with MMS at the moment. I still have a few days to play with it and take it back to the store and take the $90 hit for unlocking it so I'll have see if I'm going to keep it.

Battery life is shit until you do a full recharge. When it dies, try to turn in on again several times and keep doing it until it doesnt. Then fully recharge it.

I got more than 2 days of battery life with browsing, skype and texts.

maeh2k

For the time being you could also disable both LTE (limit to 3G) and NFC. LTE is generally something that uses a lot of battery and both LTE and NFC have been linked to some bugs in Windows Phone 8.

thirty

Banned
i noticed nokia drive's screen brightness is always set to max compared to bing maps which dropped brightness to conserve battery after not touching the screen for a while. nokia drive+ is still in beta stage, hopefully things get improved.

Liberty4all

Banned
But what good is it if you are stuck in a contract. Unless you have your own device or are off contract they'll just laugh in your face.

Me: "You better do X+Y Or I'll leave"
Rogers: "Alright, well if you want to leave it's going to cost you $x00 plus your monthly fee for however many months you have left"
Me: "..."

They want more than just your,mobile business. They want you on expensive cable package, home phone, etc ... In my case pissing me off means losing cable and 2 mobile lines. That's why retention will still try to help you out even when you are on contract. They want you long term purchasing multiple services for multiple family members.

Razdek

Banned
Battery life is shit until you do a full recharge. When it dies, try to turn in on again several times and keep doing it until it doesnt. Then fully recharge it.

I got more than 2 days of battery life with browsing, skype and texts.

I've already discharged it more than 10 times when I was using it as a wi-fi device but now with LTE it's been pretty bad. I don't have NFC enabled and there isn't too many apps running in the background.

Razdek

Banned
For the time being you could also disable both LTE (limit to 3G) and NFC. LTE is generally something that uses a lot of battery and both LTE and NFC have been linked to some bugs in Windows Phone 8.

it's kinda messed up if there's a bug and we have to switch to 3G to have a decent battery life. I'll try it for a few more days on LTE before deciding if it goes back as I shouldn't have to compromise on this issue.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Where is the lens that was supposed to take multiple images then remove unwanted people?

It's called smart shoot. You should have it installed already. It will take 5 pics and you can delete unwanted people provided they keep moving when you take the pics.

SeanR1221

Add me to the club where the top gets fairly hot with certain games and when too many messages come in on Kik and it vibrates a lot. A little unnerving. Has Nokia mentioned this?

Blackhead

Redarse

I probably would have switched from Rogers, but it would have been too expensive since I was still on the old contract system. Next time it should be less expensive.

Is Visual voicemail working on Rogers?

Dead

well not really...yet
did anyone download the Angry Birds roost app?

If so, does clicking play angry birds take you to a store link, from where you can click to games and then play?

Its kind of weird as with Angry Birds star wars, the roost app directly launches you into the game.

Not a huge thing by any means lol, just found it weird...

Btw, I can officially say I have no battery issues. Charged to 100% yesterday morning at 8am, and lasted me until tonight, currently 25% and just put on the charger.

Top Bottom