• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

SeanR1221

did anyone download the Angry Birds roost app?

If so, does clicking play angry birds take you to a store link, from where you can click to games and then play?

Its kind of weird as with Angry Birds star wars, the roost app directly launches you into the game.

Not a huge thing by any means lol, just found it weird...

Btw, I can officially say I have no battery issues. Charged to 100% yesterday morning at 8am, and lasted me until tonight, currently 25% and just put on the charger.

Yeah no battery issues anymore. 20% now after 13 hours.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Well, my Lumia took its first fall and handled it like a champ. I was sweeping some dirt off my bed and accidentally pushed the phone off the bed onto ceramic tile. There is a small dent at the top but otherwise the phone is fine. Time to buy a case though.

All this talk about about unlocking phones made feel kind of happy about living in Brazil,it's a rare thing...

Here the carriers are obligated to unlock your phone for free, it's the law. So, basically, every single phone you buy can be used in any carrier.

Unfortunately I can only buy my Lumia here around March 2013...this is a joke...

Are carriers still willing to heavily subsidize phones?

Liberty4all

Banned
it's kinda messed up if there's a bug and we have to switch to 3G to have a decent battery life. I'll try it for a few more days on LTE before deciding if it goes back as I shouldn't have to compromise on this issue.

i went from 100 percent battery at 9am to 0 percent by 4:30pm. This was with 3 hours of heavy internet useage over LTE, lots of texting, no calls, and some pictures and video. I also am still having the problem of the phone turning off at 0 percent but being able to turn it back on and use for another half hour of surfing. Im going in day 4 now and would have thought the battery would be calibrated by now?

Nokia drive is blocked, and nfc turned off.

Razdek

Banned
i went from 100 percent battery at 9am to 0 percent by 4:30pm. This was with 3 hours of heavy internet useage over LTE, lots of texting, no calls, and some pictures and video. I also am still having the problem of the phone turning off at 0 percent but being able to turn it back on and use for another half hour of surfing. Im going in day 4 now and would have thought the battery would be calibrated by now?

Nokia drive is blocked, and nfc turned off.

I've been reading on the WPCentral forums and there are many people that are having the battery issues and people suggesting that users should disable features, switch their settings to 3G, block all background apps all seems crazy to me. I don't think we should have to change the way we use a phone just to get good battery life.

I'm doing what I think everyone else is doing, disabling NFC, bluetooth, wi-fi when not in use, making sure Nokia Drive isn't running the background, hitting the back button to close apps and I still had to do another charge in the evening just to make it through today. I've kept installed apps to a minimum and only have about 4 or so running in the background.

My battery life has been ok. Today I took it off the charger around 7am. It's now 8pm and I'm at 33%. It's about what I got with the iPhone.

I've been reading on the WPCentral forums and there are many people that are having the battery issues and people suggesting that users should disable features, switch their settings to 3G, block all background apps all seems crazy to me. I don't think we should have to change the way we use a phone just to get good battery life.

I'm doing what I think everyone else is doing, disabling NFC, bluetooth, wi-fi when not in use, making sure Nokia Drive isn't running the background, hitting the back button to close apps and I still had to do another charge in the evening just to make it through today. I've kept installed apps to a minimum and only have about 4 or so running in the background.

Is there a lot of people having this problem enough to warrant a recall? Or an update?

So my red Lumia refused to turn on this morning. It's essentially shut down and does not wake up with power button. Only way to wake it up is by doing soft-reset. (This happen before when I first got the phone and I thought it was one of the app, but it seems something is wrong). Anyway, call the store that I got the phone, they said only color they have is white but she was able to locate a red one next town over. I went and pick up the phone and swap it out. The restore process is pretty good and only thing I have to do is set up my home screen again.

The only problem is the app data are not save (not sure why they don't save at least game data like they do with Xbox Live Arcade game). Also all the app have to be reset.

The guy at the store told me Windows Phone 8 has been getting really popular.

Magni

Are carriers still willing to heavily subsidize phones?

In France they are and they are still required to unlock phones by law (for a small fee within the first six months, or for free after). Of course if you buy the phone off contract then it won't be locked.

I know I said earlier this weekend that I was giving up on buying a 920 now, but I still went ahead and went back to the MS store today and finally got my hands on a cyan 920 (I played with a black one and a white one at an AT&T store last week). It's gorgeous. I want it. Of course even off contract it's still locked (I tried putting in my mom's SIM in (I have a Nexus, so no microSIM), and was greeted with a no SIM error).

How easy is it to get an off contract AT&T phone unlocked? Can I use it with StraightTalk while it's still locked to AT&T?

Amory

Where the hell is WP 7.8 dammit?

I got tricked by the hype for the 900 and now I'm stuck with the old OS for another year and a half. I want it to at least look like a WP8 phone :/

cevansdust

Neo Member
As I was setting up my voicemail I noticed that the ear piece speaker was rattling. I couldn't figure out if maybe it was the strong computer voice that was booming the speaker or if it is defective. Everyone I could call to test is asleep and I have no land line. Anyone else notice anything similar? It was set to 7 loudness.

Liberty4all

Banned

Thanks. I went through the 18 Page thread on the issue... I think it's almost certainly os related and will be fixed via update. Wierd how some are glowing about how great the battery is while others its the opposite.

I bet you it's LTE versus 3g related.

cevansdust

Neo Member
Testing out the sound a bit further. The speakers are great. The ear piece has a vibration sound to it whenever it is turned up higher than 2 for volume. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

usctrojan

Dang, based on a previous post where the poster found dead pixels in the actual sensor after taking a picture, I took a pitch black picture and found sooooo many hot blue and red pixels lit up on my image when I zoomed in. If you are scared to find this, do not check!!! lol not sure how common this is.

Dang, based on a previous post where the poster found dead pixels in the actual sensor after taking a picture, I took a pitch black picture and found sooooo many hot blue and red pixels lit up on my image when I zoomed in. If you are scared to find this, do not check!!! lol not sure how common this is.
sure that isn't just noise from the over-loaded sensor trying to capture light that isn't there?

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm having a complete disaster with my phone.
Bought it a week ago at Phones 4U on a new EE contract.

Since I purchased it on a Sunday I was told that it may take 48 hours for them to register my sim so I patiently waited.
Tuesday arrived and sim still not working so I took it back to store. They called EE who said that it should be working fine as my sim had been activated. Seemed like the sim was faulty so we arranged for EE to send a new sim.

Had to wait until Friday for that to arrive and low and behold it still didn't work!

Contacted EE again now to be told that there is a known error with the 920 working on EE and they have actually stopped selling them until its fixed???

The fuck?!

Not only that but they have no idea when Nokia are going to sort it out so they encouraged me to actually go with a different handset instead!

Has anyone else had this problem with their 920 and EE?
Not sure if it's EE's fault or Nokia's - EE are blaming Nokia for dodgy hardware.

toff74

Since I purchased it on a Sunday I was told that it may take 48 hours for them to register my sim so I patiently waited.
Tuesday arrived and sim still not working so I took it back to store. They called EE who said that it should be working fine as my sim had been activated. Seemed like the sim was faulty so we arranged for EE to send a new sim.

Had to wait until Friday for that to arrive and low and behold it still didn't work!

Contacted EE again now to be told that there is a known error with the 920 working on EE and they have actually stopped selling them until its fixed???

The fuck?!

Not only that but they have no idea when Nokia are going to sort it out so they encouraged me to actually go with a different handset instead!

Not sure if it's EE's fault or Nokia's - EE are blaming Nokia for dodgy hardware.

I got mine on Friday from P4U on Orange.. although it uses the EE network. I couldn't get data for love nor money. I didn't know whether it was the sim or the phone so late in the evening I went for a hard reset.. Worst decision EVER. It bricked. Took it back Saturday, got it replaced and now there are no problems with the handset whatsoever. And it says its using EE for the network.

Razdek

Banned
Thanks. I went through the 18 Page thread on the issue... I think it's almost certainly os related and will be fixed via update. Wierd how some are glowing about how great the battery is while others its the opposite.

I bet you it's LTE versus 3g related.

I know what you mean about the battery performance being all over the place for different users. I did a test yesterday by charging it to 100%, doing a soft reset (volume down + power) and letting it sit idle with only the antenna on (no NFC, Bt, facebook chat, nokia drive,ect).

this as at 8 pm and at 6 am it was down to 69%. This battery has been charged/discharged about a dozen times now so I'm not sure what's going on but hopefully there is an update coming soon.

Liberty4all

Banned
I know what you mean about the battery performance being all over the place for different users. I did a test yesterday by charging it to 100%, doing a soft reset (volume down + power) and letting it sit idle with only the antenna on (no NFC, Bt, facebook chat, nokia drive,ect).

this as at 8 pm and at 6 am it was down to 69%. This battery has been charged/discharged about a dozen times now so I'm not sure what's going on but hopefully there is an update coming soon.

Yup definitely software based on that test. Hope they update this soon. 6 hours of battery life isn't enough,

Edit: Im in canada for the record: Toronto .. LTE averaging. 6 - 8 hours 100 percent - 0

I've discharged completely 3 times, and charged for 10 hours + twice,

Tonight's experiment involves uninstalling wp8 weather.

So I'm sitting here at work and my phone just rebooted itself.. and now it's stuck on the Nokia splash screen. Can't get it to turn off or anything. Any ideas? I wasn't even using it at the time. :(

*edit* got it fixed, I held down the power and camera button for a while and it restarted.

Part of me is disappointed, was hoping it was bricked so I could take it to AT&T and exchange it for a Cyan one. :p

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have been having decent battery life. Last night though I left it on with battery saver on with 24% left. Got up this morning and the phone was off. Turned it on and I now have 34%, woooo! Last night I also changed from LTE to 3G, wonder if that has anything to do with it?

ElNino

It is. I'm averaging 6 - 8 hours LTE Toronto. Pretty sure this is software related.
I think it must be an software/firmware issue with the 920. I'm using the 900, in the GTA on LTE, and my phone will last from 7am-midnight with moderate use and I typically have at least 30% battery left.

thirty

Banned
are you guys turning off backup data?

also, cinemagraph is a killer app but means nothing if you can't share pictures on social media sites. having to go to skydrive on my pc rather than phone to even access my uploaded cinemagraphs isn't going to fly for the mainstream consumer. even better, nokia should have created their own social media site allowing cinemagraph uploads directly to the web. if nokia did that, instagram would quickly be forgotten.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So for those not having serious battery issues and other problems, what are some of your favorite/must have apps?

My favs are:

BBC Mobile
Amazing Weather: great live tile
MetroTube
Wordament
TV Show: great live tile
Bloomberg
Baconit
Audible
Fuse: rss reader
Top Gear News

So I'm sitting here at work and my phone just rebooted itself.. and now it's stuck on the Nokia splash screen. Can't get it to turn off or anything. Any ideas? I wasn't even using it at the time. :(

*edit* got it fixed, I held down the power and camera button for a while and it restarted.

Part of me is disappointed, was hoping it was bricked so I could take it to AT&T and exchange it for a Cyan one. :p

You might want to keep an eye out for this random reboot thingy to see if it persists. Suffice to say, you’re not alone with this problem. A colleague was showing me his Lumia yesterday when the same thing happened. Better get it replaced imo.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/18/3660974/htc-8x-lumia-920-reboot-freezing-battery-issues

mrklaw

MrArseFace

The fuck?!

can't they give you a standard 3-3.5G Tmobile or orange SIM until they've sorted it? Seems nuts (no offense)

Razdek

Banned
It is. I'm averaging 6 - 8 hours LTE Toronto. Pretty sure this is software related.

Yea, I'm letting it sit throughout the day. It's 9:28 AM here and I've done some light browsing, email, checking the weather and news apps and it's down, music streaming and it went from 69% at 6AM down to 34% at the moment. Going to return this phone as the battery life isn't acceptable to me at the moment and will probably be dead before noon.

Ragus

Banned
Man, it's so hard to get this phone in yellow in my place. White and black everywhere. Still thinking about getting the black one, but I dunno, it looks kinda boring :/

dLMN8R

Ok so I was playing around with the cinemagraph stuff last night, entertaining friends and family....

how the hell do I share a cinemagraph? Inside the app there's no option to share, and if I share it from the photo stream it just sends a jpg of a single frame of the animation.

thirty

Banned
Ok so I was playing around with the cinemagraph stuff last night, entertaining friends and family....

how the hell do I share a cinemagraph? Inside the app there's no option to share, and if I share it from the photo stream it just sends a jpg of a single frame of the animation.

upload to skydrive. then from the desktop app (not the mobile app) "view original" and it will give you a direct link.

Well ... replacement phone just froze on me, never have this problem with my old one. If this keep happening the phone is going back and I will wait for 2.0 version. This is getting frustrating ... I don't have any battery issue with my last one with exception that it doesn't wake up on occasion which is suck if you need it for alarm or phone!

OK still love the phone but all these bugs and defect really take the shine out of my love for this lovely red chunk.

upload to skydrive. then from the desktop app (not the mobile app) "view original" and it will give you a direct link.

Lack of ability to share stuff from the phone is very mind boggling. They want you to use cloud but then you have to go back to PC to do other things.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I have 2 questions:

In the pictures app when I share a picture to facebook, is there a way to select what album to upload it to?

And if I find a place in nokia maps, how can I switch to navigation from the maps app?

Ugh.
wp_ss_20121119_0001.png
Haven't done much of anything this morning. Read twitter, listened to some podcasts.

Razdek

Banned
Has anyone tried resetting their phone back to factory settings? I get the gears animation on the screen but it's been doing it for over an hour now. Does it normally take this long to reset it back to factory?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone tried resetting their phone back to factory settings? I get the gears animation on the screen but it's been doing it for over an hour now. Does it normally take this long to reset it back to factory?

I did a factory reset the day after I got it and it definitely did not take that long.

I've actually done it a couple times (via the web actually using the "erase my phone" option) and it took ... a minute.

McSmiggins

Neo Member

The fuck?!

It's not a solution, but just to let you know you're not alone!!! (This is a long one I'm afraid!)

Exactly the same story, upgraded to EE's 4G network in a Phones4U from T-Mobile on the Friday lunchtime (9th Nov) - Turning the phone on with a SIM card in the first time just ended up in a reboot loop. Removed the SIM and set the phone up, popped it it, looked fine, just waiting for activation...

Wasn't activated on Saturday morning -> Called EE who said "It may take up to midnight"

Sunday comes round, still no activation, called EE back, who wanted to test if it was the phone or the SIM, since I didn't have a micro-SIM on T-Mobile, went to the EE store in town, who tried a T-Mobile SIM in the phone -> worked fine. Replaced my 4G SIM, same issue on my phone, testing that in an HTC Android phone (T-Mobile - not EE, it works fine.)

So at this point it seems like the phone right? Nope - went up the road to the Phones4U shop, tried a brand new Lumia 920, same issues with reboot loops. So after a phone call with EE, I basically get told there's nothing much they can do, the phone's not compatible with their network. (Almost word for word that, as you can tell I wasn't amused.) And that I should try a different phone, and "there's not much we can do since Phones4U sold it."

5 hours of time wasted, eventually the Phones4U guys try a SIM swap again, this time for a different type of SIM (came out of a plastic envelope rather than a paper one) and phone worked instantly. There's me happy as Larry, almost jumping up and down in the store.

Got a phone call later in the afternoon from the customer service guy at EE (second time they'd called me to their credit.) Saying they'd just had a memo that there's a bug with the firmware in the Lumia's that were shipped to Phones4U and to wait for an update before 4G will work (should be higher than 1244.3011), so apparently I'm rolling with a 3G SIM now. (It does say 4G in London though, have they just changed the labelling and it should say LTE or something?)

Just to make life more fun, apparently there's 5 different types of EE SIM card out there, and there's definitely a "right one and a wrong one". So, your mileage may vary.

You know what? I'll give credit where it's due every single person I've spoken to at EE has been polite, helpful and informative, as far as they can go they've been faultless, the problems with their higher ups/procedures, not the people on the phone as I just ran into "the system's new, the phone's new, the network's new, there's nothing we can do" (Nothing like a good bit of testing eh?)

And tbh, the support from Phones4U was also amazing, had two guys spend ~3 hours on phones to people and keeping me updated the whole time, was exactly the customer service you'd like to have, even if it wasn't exactly their problem.

End of the day though, I wasted ~5 hours on faffing around. I love this phone but it's been a complete pain tracking one down, having to deal with the upgrade to EE, and I better not be about to get charged when I ask for a 4G SIM, it'd be nice to get what they jacked up my contract price for.

Yeah most likely its bricked...

I factory reset my old one while I was at the store it did take a while but not an hour.

There's a whole thread on the wpcentral forums about this. They may have a solution seems like a common problem if you hard reset

Top Bottom