• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Aw yeah, my carrier's gonna start shipping phones this week :). Apparently I ordered it the first day you were even able to, so that's nice.

This is becoming a nightmare. My battery life SUCKS this week for some reason (phone is already basically dead after 5 hours of light use--listened to maybe an hour of podcasts, and browsed twitter for 30 minutes.

AT&T is being hassle-fuckers about taking the second phone back (that THEY mistakenly sent me), and I'm having weird connectivity issues where the phone just loses all signal. Ugh, I just want to send them both back, wash my hands of the whole mess and move to Verizon.

Heretic

This is becoming a nightmare. My battery life SUCKS this week for some reason (phone is already basically dead after 5 hours of light use--listened to maybe an hour of podcasts, and browsed twitter for 30 minutes.

AT&T is being hassle-fuckers about taking the second phone back (that THEY mistakenly sent me), and I'm having weird connectivity issues where the phone just loses all signal. Ugh, I just want to send them both back, wash my hands of the whole mess and move to Verizon.

You have 14 days. You'll just have to pay a restocking fee.

You have 14 days. You'll just have to pay a restocking fee.

They whole thing has been such a pain that if I drop the service entirely, I'm going to refuse. If they have problems, I'll just stop-payment on the AmEx charge and let AT&T spend resources to try to settle it. It isn't worth my time anymore.

Razdek

Banned

I know what you mean regarding the battery and now my phone is bricked from doing a factory reset from the settings menu. I'm just going to return this thing and wait for the issues to get sorted out but it sucks that I spent $90 to unlock it. Ah well, at least I got to play with it for a bit.

JimiNutz

Banned
It's not a solution, but just to let you know you're not alone!!! (This is a long one I'm afraid!)

Exactly the same story, upgraded to EE's 4G network in a Phones4U from T-Mobile on the Friday lunchtime (9th Nov) - Turning the phone on with a SIM card in the first time just ended up in a reboot loop. Removed the SIM and set the phone up, popped it it, looked fine, just waiting for activation...

Wasn't activated on Saturday morning -> Called EE who said "It may take up to midnight"

Sunday comes round, still no activation, called EE back, who wanted to test if it was the phone or the SIM, since I didn't have a micro-SIM on T-Mobile, went to the EE store in town, who tried a T-Mobile SIM in the phone -> worked fine. Replaced my 4G SIM, same issue on my phone, testing that in an HTC Android phone (T-Mobile - not EE, it works fine.)

So at this point it seems like the phone right? Nope - went up the road to the Phones4U shop, tried a brand new Lumia 920, same issues with reboot loops. So after a phone call with EE, I basically get told there's nothing much they can do, the phone's not compatible with their network. (Almost word for word that, as you can tell I wasn't amused.) And that I should try a different phone, and "there's not much we can do since Phones4U sold it."

5 hours of time wasted, eventually the Phones4U guys try a SIM swap again, this time for a different type of SIM (came out of a plastic envelope rather than a paper one) and phone worked instantly. There's me happy as Larry, almost jumping up and down in the store.

Got a phone call later in the afternoon from the customer service guy at EE (second time they'd called me to their credit.) Saying they'd just had a memo that there's a bug with the firmware in the Lumia's that were shipped to Phones4U and to wait for an update before 4G will work (should be higher than 1244.3011), so apparently I'm rolling with a 3G SIM now. (It does say 4G in London though, have they just changed the labelling and it should say LTE or something?)

Just to make life more fun, apparently there's 5 different types of EE SIM card out there, and there's definitely a "right one and a wrong one". So, your mileage may vary.

You know what? I'll give credit where it's due every single person I've spoken to at EE has been polite, helpful and informative, as far as they can go they've been faultless, the problems with their higher ups/procedures, not the people on the phone as I just ran into "the system's new, the phone's new, the network's new, there's nothing we can do" (Nothing like a good bit of testing eh?)

And tbh, the support from Phones4U was also amazing, had two guys spend ~3 hours on phones to people and keeping me updated the whole time, was exactly the customer service you'd like to have, even if it wasn't exactly their problem.

End of the day though, I wasted ~5 hours on faffing around. I love this phone but it's been a complete pain tracking one down, having to deal with the upgrade to EE, and I better not be about to get charged when I ask for a 4G SIM, it'd be nice to get what they jacked up my contract price for.

Thanks for taking the time to post this, sounds like a very similar situation to the one I'm in.
Phones 4U have also been great with me and have been very apologetic and have spent hours on the phone to EE on my behalf as well. I'm really not impressed with EE though.

Not really sure what to do now. I could get a normal Orange/T-Mobile sim I suppose until EE can get their shit sorted but the whole ordeal has really put me off.

Then I come in here and I'm reading about people having battery problems etc. as well.

Hmmmmm. Dunno whether to stick it out with the Lumia or go with a different handset.
I don't really want to get a non windows phone handset but my partner recently got an S3 and it's a really great phone as well.
If the Ativ S was out I think I'd go with that but apparently it's not coming to the UK until mid December.

Ugh not only could my phone's battery not handle a regular 9 to 5 today, it couldn't even handle being off of the charger from 10 am to 4 pm. Couldn't even get 6 hours out of it. I guess I was listening to a podcast over the speaker for a bit and over Bluetooth for a bit, but my dilapidated old iPhone 4 could have done way better than this and its battery life is crap. I'm thinking about returning this phone if the problem persists.

I did two full discharge/charge cycles and my battery is great. Started my day at 8:30 AM, moderate use throughout the day, and I'm at 64% right now.

Bullza2o

I left my phone off the charger overnight, this morning it still at 100%. I used it a bit today, and it was around 92% in the afternoon when I started using it more. Now at 7pm it's at 74%. I guess the battery is getting better for me. It's better than my Focus battery life, and that's what's important to me.

Just got the gloss white was wanting the cyan but decided to try it. So far so good I'm hoping to avoid the battery issues we'll see. Coming from an iPhone 5 its quite a difference in size and heft but I love it. So nice to be out of the ios world.

joshschw

Like many, my battery is acting... weird. The first day it was pretty poor, but since then - I did let it drain to "zero" for what that's worth - it's been fine. It still does crazy things like dropping from 80% to 60% after doing something to 15 minutes, but overall it's lasting all day with a decent amount remaining at the end of the day.

I think - hope! - that the meter is what's totally screwed up and they fix it. I don't use phone that much during day so hard to say whether my battery is good, great, bad, or all of the above ;)

Oh yeah I forgot the other part. So with about 17% left according to the phone, I went and got an extra charging cable from the at&t store. Plugged my phone into the car charger at 14% and it still ran out of battery, even though the battery icon said it was charging. Is there a certain kind of cable or some reason why the USB outlet on my car charger will charge an iPhone but not my 920?

Oh yeah I forgot the other part. So with about 17% left according to the phone, I went and got an extra charging cable from the at&t store. Plugged my phone into the car charger at 14% and it still ran out of battery, even though the battery icon said it was charging. Is there a certain kind of cable or some reason why the USB outlet on my car charger will charge an iPhone but not my 920?

Do you have Nokia Drive running? because that will drain battery faster than it can charge. Anyway, you car charger should charge your phone ... you probably have bad battery. Try let it drain completely and charge to full see if that help (it does for some) if not return it...

Do you have Nokia Drive running? because that will drain battery faster than it can charge. Anyway, you car charger should charge your phone ... you probably have bad battery. Try let it drain completely and charge to full see if that help (it does for some) if not return it...

No Nokia Drive, all background apps are blocked actually. Does Nokia Drive really drain faster than the phone charges? I've never heard of such a thing. Crazy. I've also been through several charge cycles.

Troll

Banned
I didn't think that my phone had bad battery life problems... Until I compared it to my wife's. I had lost 7% of battery being idle to her 1%. Great. I haven't really been watching it because I have had a charger with me. Fuck.

SeanR1221

I didn't think that my phone had bad battery life problems... Until I compared it to my wife's. I had lost 7% of battery being idle to her 1%. Great. I haven't really been watching it because I have had a charger with me. Fuck.

How long did it take to lose the 7%?

Razdek

Banned
We really need to know if these issues are fixable or not. The shitty part is that I "like" the phone a lot, but everything is piling up.

I think the safest thing you can do if it doesn't improve is to return it for another one and see if that helps. If that doesn't work and Nokia and Microsoft doesn't announce a fix is to return it before your 14-30 day window and wait until the issues are resolved.

The worst feeling is trying to convince yourself that a purchase was worth it when in the back of your mind you really know it wasn't. I'm planning to wait it out until the battery issue gets sorted out.

Speaking as someone with an 800, I would never expect these battery issues to be fixed. Mine has been really, really strange since the day I got it (sometimes it lasts days, other times I'll be lucky to get more than 5 hours out of it). The only reliable way I found of keeping the battery up was enabling flight mode... which obviously isn't that useful in most cases.

Seeing all this discussion I'm starting to really reconsider upgrading to the 920. Just seems like all the old problems all over again (and I'm still astonished that they haven't added different volume settings in WP8).

Bullza2o

Does anyone know how to change the mix stream quality in Nokia music from standard to high. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm on WiFi or cellular. Thanks!

I would like to know too.

I noticed a very thin but somewhat long scratch on the matte black cover of my phone, and I dropped it on carpet earlier. I think I'll just buy a case anyway to relieve my OCD about it being clean and dropping it.

usctrojan

I would like to know too.

I noticed a very thin but somewhat long scratch on the matte black cover of my phone, and I dropped it on carpet earlier. I think I'll just buy a case anyway to relieve my OCD about it being clean and dropping it.

My first scratch is usually when I feel comfortable letting my phone live a naked life.

Commodore

Experiment for anyone experiencing battery issues: turn off email push to manual and report back. I wanna see if its just me on this. Battery improved dramatically after I did that hearing something was off on gmail's back end.

Experiment for anyone experiencing battery issues: turn off email push to manual and report back. I wanna see if its just me on this. Battery improved dramatically after I did that hearing something was off on gmail's back end.

Sure. I already tried turning off every feature my 920 has that my two year old iPhone doesn't, might as well turn off some things that my old iPhone can do too.

toff74

mine just reset itself & is now stuck on the nokia screen :(

There is now a fix..

head over to www.wmpoweruser.com for a video showing what to do. Its just a reflash and you'll have to make sure your battery isn't completely flat like mine was. The computer just wouldn't accept it.

Alternatively call p4u tech support. Hopefully theyll give you an exchange code so you can just pop into a store and swap the handset. I would call the store beforehand to check stock though. Good luck ��

Went from excited to disappointed. Thanks, NeoGAF. Love me some shit battery. Reminds me of my old HTC touch pro 2.

My battery so far is awesome tonight at work. Off the charger at 8:00 pm , it' snow 12:30am, and battery is at 91%. Mostly browsing Gaf on and off, and listening to podcast for about an hour. I can't complain that was almost half of work day.

The signal at my work is really strong, I get LTE in most part of the buildings and solid 4G here in the lower floor. I have a feeling many of the battery woe is due to poor signal ... I used to have super crappy battery with my Titan before they upgrade the tower by my work.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
My battery so far is awesome tonight at work. Off the charger at 8:00 pm , it' snow 12:30am, and battery is at 91%. Mostly browsing Gaf on and off, and listening to podcast for about an hour. I can't complain that was almost half of work day.

The signal at my work is really strong, I get LTE in most part of the buildings and solid 4G here in the lower floor. I have a feeling many of the battery woe is due to poor signal ... I used to have super crappy battery with my Titan before they upgrade the tower by my work.

Could be, I noticed my phone's battery went to the shitter around the same time our school wifi did. It basically reconnects every 5 minutes, assuming that drains the battery more than just keeping the connection up. Could be the same issue with LTE?

Yeah, that seemed to solve my battery issues as well.

Roko

Speaking as someone with an 800, I would never expect these battery issues to be fixed. Mine has been really, really strange since the day I got it (sometimes it lasts days, other times I'll be lucky to get more than 5 hours out of it). The only reliable way I found of keeping the battery up was enabling flight mode... which obviously isn't that useful in most cases.

Seeing all this discussion I'm starting to really reconsider upgrading to the 920. Just seems like all the old problems all over again (and I'm still astonished that they haven't added different volume settings in WP8).

The volume settings baffle me also. I end up being blasted out of my car when I plug it in and play a song and then will miss a text later because I decreased the volume. I don't have high hopes that they'll fix this anytime soon if it's been an issue since the initial release of WP7.

NeOak

iCWL43c87A1wG.png

Don't hate me guys :(

Top Bottom