• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Milchjon

iCWL43c87A1wG.png

Don't hate me guys :(

Damn. Did you turn off anything relevant (Facebook Messaging, etc)?

NeOak

Damn. Did you turn off anything relevant (Facebook Messaging, etc)?

No. Mail was set to sync every hour. Did light web browsing, some messaging, and about 1hr of calls and even a 13 min Skype video call. Not exactly a heavy user during those 2 days.

I do have full LTE and 3G signal in my area, so that should count too.

Could be, I noticed my phone's battery went to the shitter around the same time our school wifi did. It basically reconnects every 5 minutes, assuming that drains the battery more than just keeping the connection up. Could be the same issue with LTE?

If you get weak signal your phone would constantly try to lock in on it. I used to set my old phone (htc titan) to plane mode when I was at work before they upgraded the tower.

I just got home from work and my battery is at 58%, about 11 hours since last charge.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Full charge, 11 hours :(

I live outside the city so an inconsistent signal could be reason for my battery life being all over the place. At home, maybe I should just turn data off? Tends to flip flop between 3G and 4G.

Edit: hour and half later, still 100% :lol

venne

I disabled background of Mehdoh, Weather Channel, Yelp and now I'm getting:

Edit: My thought is that Mehdoh is the culprit, since I know they are having issues with WP8 implementation. Can anyone corroborate?

My wife has no battery life issues with Yelp and Weather Channel running, so I'd agree with your thoughts that it's Mehdoh.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I blocked BBC Mobile and I'm not sure if it is a coincidence but my battery life is now at 4 days, :lol

This is also with data off.

Edit: I'm not getting my hopes up yet. I just want a day use out of it and I will be happy.

Bullza2o

Is anyone trying to price match this phone to $50? I chatted once so far and they told me they cannot do such service on chat, which is BS because people have been getting credit via chat based on what I see at WPCentral.
I'll try again later when I have more time.

Dead

well not really...yet
uhhh did my phone just die lol?

I just picked it up and it won't turn on. Hooked it up to the charger and it still won't do anything.

uhmmm :(

Dead

well not really...yet
Ha, mine did that earlier. It eventually turned on...might be that reboot bug :(
did you just leave it on the charger and wait for it to come back on?

what did you do?

edit: ok did the hold volume and power button down for ~7 seconds thing and now it booted up.

Slightly worried as to what caused it to do this in the first place.

usctrojan

I would imagine that some of those battery left screenshots look amazing because the handset has not been touched or woken up for a while before checking it. That screen is misleading because it is dynamically dependent on exactly what the phone was doing leading up to that screen. If the phone was off for hours, it should show days since it is showing you how much standby might be left. The more you power it on to check, though, the more it's using battery just illuminating the screen and getting everything going.

It seems like the battery issues have been mostly indicated by the heat production of the units when it's actually faulty. Not warm but actually hot. Also remember that even if someone can pull off 2 days of phone battery all together. That same unit can at most pull off a constant 6 hours of real CPU use.

I'm just trying to say that there is nothing scientific being recorded when someone convinces you of their godlike battery. 2100mah is 2100mah unless it's a defective battery.

I think....

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Battery has been fantastic today *knocks on wood* ever since I switched data off when I'm at home and also having shutdown BBC Mobile. I'm in the city now with a data connection and I'm at 74% (11 hours). I think the radio having to fight for a connection at home was a big problem.

toff74

Any of you non golfing lumia owners on AT&T fancy PMing me a unique code you find on the back of your box so i can use the Caddie software.. I will be forever greatful x

Ragus

Banned
Man, those battery meltdowns are dissappointing. I hope I won't have these kind of problems, but knowing my luck - I will.

Still, I simply need a 920 in my life.

did you just leave it on the charger and wait for it to come back on?

what did you do?

edit: ok did the hold volume and power button down for ~7 seconds thing and now it booted up.

Slightly worried as to what caused it to do this in the first place.
My first Lumia did the same thing, seem like it crash while in sleep mode. Anyway it was so random and I rely on my phone to be on so I swap it out.

You can try do full reset...my problem did not appear until couple days after I have the phone.

Razdek

Banned
My first Lumia did the same thing, seem like it crash while in sleep mode. Anyway it was so random and I rely on my phone to be on so I swap it out.

You can try do full reset...my problem did not appear until couple days after I have the phone.

Be careful if you're planning to do a full reset as there's a chance you can brick your phone like I did. There's instructions on how to fix it if you're on AT&T but I didn't see any for Rogers or others.

EricM85

Just got my 920. Loving it so far. How does one go about using the NFC to make payments? I set up a card in the wallet, but not seeing an option to use it to pay anywhere. Will something pop up if I touch the phone to a reader?

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Just got my 920. Loving it so far. How does one go about using the NFC to make payments? I set up a card in the wallet, but not seeing an option to use it to pay anywhere. Will something pop up if I touch the phone to a reader?
Payments aren't yet supported. :(

Be careful if you're planning to do a full reset as there's a chance you can brick your phone like I did. There's instructions on how to fix it if you're on AT&T but I didn't see any for Rogers or others.
My old one that exhibit that behavior reset fine. But then again who know.

Too bad about all this bugs and defect it is a lovely phone.

EricM85

Payments aren't yet supported. :(

Booooooo :(

Any word on when NFC payments will be supported? What's the hold up?

Also, is there any way to wirelessly pull music from my PC to my phone (I know I'm probably asking a lot), or a Google Music app that allows caching? I was using an app on my iPhone to stream and cache music from Google music in the past, but the current WP8 Google Music apps still seem pretty young and basic. Basically, I'm just looking for an easy way to not have to plug into my HTPC I have hidden to change out music.

scently

I just can't seem to find a place to buy the phone, unlocked and for a reasonable price. The only one available from some seller on amazon but it's going for $899.

Lucifon

Well, cancelled my order, will not get the 920 this year. I am kinda over the launch hype, or something... :-/

Same boat here, my iPhone4 contract is up for renewal in Feb/Jan time and I was close to paying it out and picking up a 920. However after seeing all these teething issues and people having to disable features just to make the device last a day I'm fine with waiting until renewal time. By which point there'll probably be rumours of the 940 or whatever's next.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Booooooo :(

Any word on when NFC payments will be supported? What's the hold up?

Also, is there any way to wirelessly pull music from my PC to my phone (I know I'm probably asking a lot), or a Google Music app that allows caching? I was using an app on my iPhone to stream and cache music from Google music in the past, but the current WP8 Google Music apps still seem pretty young and basic. Basically, I'm just looking for an easy way to not have to plug into my HTPC I have hidden to change out music.

If you have Windows 8, you could use Xbox Cloud Music. I don't think it caches, it seems to only stream.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-phone-8/windows-phone-8-tip-xbox-cloud-collection-144703

jaypah

I haven't posted in this thread in a while because I've gotten busy after getting my 920. Long story short, my fiancé ordered us 2 yellows when preorders went up. Didn't receive them until a week after launch. During that time we had so much back and forth with AT&T that we wound up getting both phones and 2 yellow wireless chargepads for a total of 40 bucks. We absolutely love the phones too. Are there any picture taking tutorials that y'all could point me to?

Commodore

How hot does your guys' 920s get after browsing on the phone for awhile? Mine gets pretty hot sometimes and I'm wondering if its normal and happens normally to most 920s.

thirty

Banned
wanted some buds to match my cyan phone and got these in the mail the other night. amazon has them for $13 and they sound comparable to my sennheiser cx200 (these gogroove's may actually have better bass). the only negative is that the wire material is cheap and wrinkle easily. i looked into the purity's but at $100, they're more than what i'm willing to pay for buds.

41wzcOlmXkL.jpg

Top Bottom