• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Ragus

Banned
A Windows Phone without a SIM is basically like a Zune running Windows Phone. Or an iPod touch.

Everything works, as long as you have an internet connection. You can still set up your accounts and all that.

Great. At least I'll have that. It will make the wait much more bearable.

Thank you.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
That grey one is ugly AF.

-nm exclusive

Whats with all these service plans and fucking nickel and dime "options" Jesus Christ... you get spoiled when you are on Boost Mobile...

Loving this phone so far. It took about a day to get used to it but I don't miss the iPhone but for one thing. My work phone is a SIP phone and there is no SIP app available to register third party services on WP8.
I still use my iPhone 5 to imessage and for work phone calls so I am switching throughout the day. The Lumia is so much richer in use and feel than the iphone its pretty intense.
The weight was a small issue first day but second day I am fully used to it.

mine reset & then froze on the nokia screen again. :(
also seems to be having trouble downloading updates but that could be a microsoft store problem.
also has anyone been able to get the automatic time/date to set? mine doesn't seem to change & i have to set it manually.

one more thing, mine seems to not be cyan, where's the setting to change this? :( :( :(

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
untitled-1xgriq.png

Good plan?

I wish stuff was unlimited T_T :)

Do you think the Wordament game is a big battery drain? Even though its just a word game its always checking stuff online.

I'm in a bad position with my battery here. I've had my phone for 7 days now, but I'm going to be busy for the next week so if I dont exchange my phone today I probably won't get a chance to before my 14 days are up. I've done pretty much every battery saving trick out there but battery life is still pretty crap. Has anyone that exchanged their phone seen a real difference? Or is my problem stuff I can't change like weak signal strength?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think the Wordament game is a big battery drain? Even though its just a word game its always checking stuff online.

I'm in a bad position with my battery here. I've had my phone for 7 days now, but I'm going to be busy for the next week so if I dont exchange my phone today I probably won't get a chance to before my 14 days are up. I've done pretty much every battery saving trick out there but battery life is still pretty crap. Has anyone that exchanged their phone seen a real difference? Or is my problem stuff I can't change like weak signal strength?

My signal is a bit weak at home, it will sometimes bounce between 3G and 4G so yesterday and today I turned my data off and blocked BBC Mobile and it has made a big difference. Have had my phone on for 8 hours today and I'm at 65% left.

Tonguer

Planning to grab one of these on Friday. I was going to hold for a few months before upgrading to win8, but I just dropped my Focus S yesterday and cracked the screen. /cry

Went to the Microsoft Store, all I said was "I've been having some battery issues" and right away the sales guy was like "let's swap that out for a new phone." Hope this battery is better!

Everdred

I'm returning my Lumia 920, I can't stand the Bluetooth issues. Took me over 10 tries to get my phone to connect to my car. My WP7 was automatic and never had issues. Going to wait for this to get sorted out before I get a new phone.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
That's the plan i'm going with... I feel it's a huge ripoff but I get 24% off because of my work so... *shrug*

The phone better be worth it!

I think I get 17% off with my employer..

These fucking plans just seem like such a ripoff coming from prepaid.

Heretic

I think I get 17% off with my employer..

These fucking plans just seem like such a ripoff coming from prepaid.

What irks me is the data plans. With T-Mobile I got unlimited data with 4g speeds up until 5GB then throttled down for $25/month. Hell, I just downgraded to a $10/month plan that is still unlimited but 4g throttled after 2GB

I'm returning my Lumia 920, I can't stand the Bluetooth issues. Took me over 10 tries to get my phone to connect to my car. My WP7 was automatic and never had issues. Going to wait for this to get sorted out before I get a new phone.

That's a shame. My Lumia 920 connect better than the 900 and my Titan however my car Bluetooth suck anyway so I hardly use it.

JuanMR2

I received my replacement phone yesterday, first phone had battery problems. I noticed that on the new replacement phone the capacitive buttons are a yellowish tint...as opposed to bright white like the original phone. The battery has been great on the replacement phone...but the yellow tint kinda bothers me. Below are some blurry pics but you can sort of make out the difference. Top is old phone with bad battery (bright white buttons). Below, replacement phone (yellow buttons)
nokia920_001.jpg

Does anyone have a 920 with the yellow tint capacitive buttons?

I received my replacement phone yesterday, first phone had battery problems. I noticed that on the new replacement phone the capacitive buttons are a yellowish tint...as opposed to bright white like the original phone. The battery has been great on the replacement phone...but the yellow tint kinda bothers me. Below are some blurry pics but you can sort of make out the difference. Top is old phone with bad battery (bright white buttons). Below, replacement phone (yellow buttons)
nokia920_001.jpg

Does anyone have a 920 with the yellow tint capacitive buttons?

My phone also has a different tint to the buttons I see it as almost a slightly blue tint which I thought was on purpose since I have a cyan phone...Hmm...

On the other hand I've owned every single iPhone since the original including the 5, I've had a palm pre, an htc hero, galaxy nexus, galaxy s2, galaxy s3, htc one x and for a short stint the LG optimus G and this phone is far and above my favorite phone ever. I think I've finally found a keeper, the camera is amazing especially after a few small tweaks with nokia's creative studio. The phone never lags, I love all the live tiles and unique customization, I've found all the apps I use regularly besides mint and Pandora and I'm finding Nokia Music to be an excellent substitute especially with create your own offline mixes. I've also had good battery life and the screen is beautiful. Oh and the phone is absolutely gorgeous and feels amazing in your hand. My only complaint so far is the voice to text is terrible and inaccurate but that could always be fixed down the line

Everdred

That's a shame. My Lumia 920 connect better than the 900 and my Titan however my car Bluetooth suck anyway so I hardly use it.
It was easily the most impressive phone hardware, absolutely brilliant. Wonderful screen, great camera, very fast but my primary function is music so I need that to work. I'm going to wait and see what happens with it, if they patch it or if Microsoft announces a surface phone. Will go WP8 at some point, love the OS.

Milchjon

Clove UK started selling SIM free 920s today:

@clovetechnology said:
To say Lumia 920 stock has been selling like hotcakes this afternoon would be just a bit of an understatement #flyingoffthevirtualshelves

Roko

It was easily the most impressive phone hardware, absolutely brilliant. Wonderful screen, great camera, very fast but my primary function is music so I need that to work. I'm going to wait and see what happens with it, if they patch it or if Microsoft announces a surface phone. Will go WP8 at some point, love the OS.

Unfortunately I had to do the same. The 920 wouldn't pair with my car either and random reboots were getting to be a little too frequent. I hope that future software updates address these issues, and if they do, I may jump back in.

Liberty4all

Banned
Just want to mention my battery life has greatly improved after uninstalling the battery app (which was the older version). I'm nervous to reinstall the updated version ...

Sarquiss_

I really want to buy this phone but am wary of the issues people are currently having. Have either MS or Nokia made any comments so far?

Liberty4all

Banned
I really want to buy this phone but am wary of the issues people are currently having. Have either MS or Nokia made any comments so far?

I honestly think the problem was a combination of unoptimized apps (7.5) running on wp8 and badly optimized batteries from the warehouse.

Man so far the phone I got in exchange has even worse battery life. I turned literally everything off, even cell data, and it's at 8% left after 5 hours. I hope it's just because it's the first cycle of the battery!

Liberty4all

Banned
Man so far the phone I got in exchange has even worse battery life. I turned literally everything off, even cell data, and it's at 8% left after 5 hours. I hope it's just because it's the first cycle of the battery!

It took mine a week to stabilize in combination with deleting any apps not optimized for wp8.

It took mine a week to stabilize in combination with deleting any apps not optimized for wp8.

And the 920 I returned never changed much at all from its poor initial battery performance. Don't worry, I'm giving this one a chance too. I just hope it gets better. Also, would turning off cell data absolutely correct any battery drain from having a weak signal?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
And the 920 I returned never changed much at all from its poor initial battery performance. Don't worry, I'm giving this one a chance too. I just hope it gets better. Also, would turning off cell data absolutely correct any battery drain from having a weak signal?

Van and I have noticed a difference. I easily get through the day now. I still don't get readings like 2 days on a full charge. It says usually 17 hours and that's what I seem to be getting.

Firestorm

I may be totally getting a 920 at rogers for $0... bye Bell.
Remember that if you want to keep your number you need to not cancel with Bell and let Rogers do it for you. For some reason I keep seeing people change phones / providers and posting their new number. Confuses the hell out of me. Keep you phone number people!

zedge

Cool. Hopefully Best Buy will have stock.

Got it from Rogers store, doing same promo, right now too. No activation, $0. Woot. Only had one left, Sunridge store.

Remember that if you want to keep your number you need to not cancel with Bell and let Rogers do it for you. For some reason I keep seeing people change phones / providers and posting their new number. Confuses the hell out of me. Keep you phone number people!
Yea. Porting my number from bell.

Alright so Best Buy is giving the phone away for free (on a three year contract) and i'm seriously inclined to jump now instead of later in December. What I'm wondering is, I know there may be some problems(battery is on/off, syncing and whatnot); but are there any truly wide scale problems that everyone is hitting?

Is the battery really that bad, or is it being solved by a few charges?
Also, with the battery, I usually do anywhere from 1-2 hours of web browsing max per day and always charge my phone at night time, would I be hit by any problems?
How many people have had bricked phones?
I have heard reports of it freezing on people.. Is it widescale?

thirty

Banned
Alright so Best Buy is giving the phone away for free (on a three year contract) and i'm seriously inclined to jump now instead of later in December. What I'm wondering is, I know there may be some problems(battery is on/off, syncing and whatnot); but are there any truly wide scale problems that everyone is hitting?

Is the battery really that bad, or is it being solved by a few charges?
Also, with the battery, I usually do anywhere from 1-2 hours of web browsing max per day and always charge my phone at night time, would I be hit by any problems?
How many people have had bricked phones?
I have heard reports of it freezing on people.. Is it widescale?
there are many 920 owners, myself included, that are not experiencing any troubles. Then again, I don't live in an LTE area so I turned that off along with NFC. Plus, I can't seem to stop taking pics, videos, and cinemagraphs with this thing so no way in hell am I going to judge battery life now. I haven't had a single reset either. Someone did mention having NFC on may contribute to resetting. Oh, if you use it, you might look more into Bluetooth in-vehicle pairing as a few mentioned it's buggy.

Heretic

I gave up my phone number =(

Top Bottom