• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

JimiNutz

Banned
I received my replacement phone yesterday, first phone had battery problems. I noticed that on the new replacement phone the capacitive buttons are a yellowish tint...as opposed to bright white like the original phone. The battery has been great on the replacement phone...but the yellow tint kinda bothers me. Below are some blurry pics but you can sort of make out the difference. Top is old phone with bad battery (bright white buttons). Below, replacement phone (yellow buttons)
nokia920_001.jpg

Does anyone have a 920 with the yellow tint capacitive buttons?

I have this yellow/green tint on my buttons too! :(
My battery levels seem fine though so cant complain too much.

thirty

Banned
In Pureview news, Nokia's head of imaging, Damian Dining, has left the company and will make an announcement about his future on December 10th.

Some say he left to pursue Jolla (Meego) development, which is where former colleagues left to. Some say Samsung, who have HQ in the UK town where Dining lives in.

Milchjon

It's completely backorder on Amazon so I guess it's good. Did Nokia really underestimate the demand for 920? Probably a ploy to get PR!

Half of the demand is replacement phones ;-)

In Pureview news, Nokia's head of imaging, Damian Dining, has left the company and will make an announcement about his future on December 10th.

Some say he left to pursue Jolla (Meego) development, which is where former colleagues left to. Some say Samsung, who have HQ in the UK town where Dining lives in.

Probably just burnt out, trying too hard can really drain your energy.

maeh2k

I could see him go to Jolla or maybe Google needs some camera people for Google Glass. Hope he doesn't go to the smartphone competition (excluding Jolla).

zedge

Took my phone off the charger at about 8am. Currently at 94% battery still. Haven't used it too much but that seems very good. About 4 and a half hrs.

Ragus

Banned
Aby good alternative for IE10? I hate that it doesn't support fullscreen.

oh, and why isn't the keyboard fully adjusted to screen size when I am in landscape mode? Isn't it a little dumb?

maeh2k

oh, and why isn't the keyboard fully adjusted to screen size when I am in landscape mode? Isn't it a little dumb?

They probably wanted to keep that command bar on the side (the bar that's usually at the bottom below the keyboard). Then they decided to keep the keyboard centered so there's some space on the other side, too.

As for the browsers, on Windows Phone 7 Surfcube 3D was pretty good. It's full screen (at least in the paid version without the ad) and uses swipes from the edges of the screen for the UI. It's pretty nice. Swipe from left edge -> manage tabs; swipe from top edge -> address bar, favorites and history; swipe from right edge -> settings.
It also offers a couple of different UI options

thirty

Banned
I could see him go to Jolla or maybe Google needs some camera people for Google Glass. Hope he doesn't go to the smartphone competition (excluding Jolla).
"not directly with Nokia" in his tweet probably rules out Apple or Google. I'd say he's going to MS to work on the Surface phone or Samsung.

Ragus

Banned
They probably wanted to keep that command bar on the side (the bar that's usually at the bottom below the keyboard). Then they decided to keep the keyboard centered so there's some space on the other side, too.

As for the browsers, on Windows Phone 7 Surfcube 3D was pretty good. It's full screen (at least in the paid version without the ad) and uses swipes from the edges of the screen for the UI. It's pretty nice. Swipe from left edge -> manage tabs; swipe from top edge -> address bar, favorites and history; swipe from right edge -> settings.
It also offers a couple of different UI options

Thanks for recommending Surf Cube. It's ok and much better than IE10.

One more question - I wanted to send my friend a message on Skype but I seem to have a glitch - when I send him a message, it seems to be on the chat log, but there is a spinning grey circle next to it. I tried to reinstall it, but the problem didn't go away :(

zedge

That's great. What does it say for time left?
I think it was 14 hrs or something. Was using it over lunch for about 30 min surfing etc. Just checked now, 80% left, says 1 day for time remaining..lol. Is there a way to share a screen from SkyDrive?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I think it was 14 hrs or something. Was using it over lunch for about 30 min surfing etc. Just checked now, 80% left, says 1 day for time remaining..lol.

Yeah, it seems to do that for me as well. I have been getting solid day out of it though, which for a smartphone is pretty good imo. Hopefully we will see an update soon to improve the battery, the camera and the ability to make sure wifi is always on.

The phone seems to be a success so far so hopefully Nokia and MS will be quicker with the updates.

zedge

Yeah, it seems to do that for me as well. I have been getting solid day out of it though, which for a smartphone is pretty good imo. Hopefully we will see an update soon to improve the battery, the camera and the ability to make sure wifi is always on.

The phone seems to be a success so far so hopefully Nokia and MS will be quicker with the updates.
Yea as long as I get a solid day out of it I'll be happy. Can't say enough about what a pleasure it is using this phone. Its so smooth and fast. Screen is amazing. Swoon.

Ugh I'm jealous. After a full charge and discharge cycle, and a factory reset, I'm losing 20% an hour with some light web browsing, even with bluetooth, NFC, background apps, push email, and all cellular data turned off. Plus I haven't even downloaded any of the "problem" apps. Do I exchange this for a third 920? Try an 8X? Switch to Android?

NeOak

Anyone that uses the "Battery Meter for WP8" be aware that its a battery hog. I killed my battery in less than one day after installing that app, after being able to use it for 2 days without problems before buying it.

Back to the free Battery Tile.

So I just picked up my Lumia and I'm loving it so far ^-^

...Luckily I'm not running into any problems such as the Battery drain...yet; hopefully it leaves this poor college student alone.

Ugh I'm jealous. After a full charge and discharge cycle, and a factory reset, I'm losing 20% an hour with some light web browsing, even with bluetooth, NFC, background apps, push email, and all cellular data turned off. Plus I haven't even downloaded any of the "problem" apps. Do I exchange this for a third 920? Try an 8X? Switch to Android?
I would ... I never have battery problem with mine two 920. Do you have good signal? What was your other phone?

Raistlin

I've been using Surf Cube since it launched on WP7. Lot's of nice features.

That said, they need to make an update for WP8 as some features are no longer working (long-push on a link to pop up the menu so you can background load it in another tab).

So, Skype on your 920's runs just fine :(?

Well, I just installed Skype so I'll let you know soon. I do know though that I have had the phone since 5:00(2 hours ago) and have been using it heavily installing a bunch of apps, setting up my accounts, steaming music, making a few calls, taking pictures, ect. I'm currently down to 35% (I forget what it was when I got it). Anyhow, experience is pretty good so far, although I need to learn how to navigate around the OS better...and I need to organize my start screen.

...Also, how do you close apps? because it is saying that I have a few running in the background, but I have no way to close them.

Well, I just installed Skype so I'll let you know soon. I do know though that I have had the phone since 5:00(2 hours ago) and have been using it heavily installing a bunch of apps, setting up my accounts, steaming music, making a few calls, taking pictures, ect. I'm currently down to 35% (I forget what it was when I got it). Anyhow, experience is pretty good so far, although I need to learn how to navigate around the OS better...and I need to organize my start screen.

...Also, how do you close apps? because it is saying that I have a few running in the background, but I have no way to close them.
Phone came with about 50% charge usually at least from the two I got.

Hold back button to bring up multitask card, then select app you want to close and push back button until it go away (return you to Start).

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So I just picked up my Lumia and I'm loving it so far ^-^

...Luckily I'm not running into any problems such as the Battery drain...yet; hopefully it leaves this poor college student alone.

Make sure you drain the battery and fully charge it. It helps a lot.

Ragus

Banned
This phone is so sexy... hmm, maybe it's not a good word.

Handsome maybe? Yeah, handsome. I really feel like a man while holding all them curves in my hand.

I would ... I never have battery problem with mine two 920. Do you have good signal? What was your other phone?

No, I don't have good signal, which is why I turned off cellular data. Which is a ridiculous thing to have to do on a cell phone. But I guess it still will try to connect to the cell network for calls, right? Maybe that is draining the battery. But my wife's iPhone 5 has to deal with the same signal problem and easily lasts a day. My iPhone 4 had similarly crappy 3g reception and easily lasted a day. This Nokia 920, even turning off every imaginable feature, isn't lasting 6 hours.

How do you take a screencap?

Phone came with about 50% charge usually at least from the two I got.

Hold back button to bring up multitask card, then select app you want to close and push back button until it go away (return you to Start).
Alright, so mines doing pretty average. My battery is at 8% left now and I havent charged it yet, so if I add in the other 50% that it never had, I should be getting 8ish + hours...Much better than my 4 Year Old Blackberry! :D

Also thanks, that was bothering me...I kept on trying to swipe downwards like in Windows 8 to close it XD

Alright, I'll do that, lets see if it calibrates it!

Okay so I drained the battery to the point where it shut off... although when I press the on button it displays the Rogers logo then the uncharged battery symbol before shutting off again. Does this mean that its completely out of juice/calibrated now? Can I start charging it?

Also when you said "I would" what did you mean? You would exchange for a third 920 after the first two didn't work? Or you would give the 8X a try?
well if you have signal issue I would give 8X a try that if you want to stick with Windows Phone but my only draw to Windows Phone right now is Nokia hardware. If att let you exchanged again I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Top Bottom