• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

thirty

Banned
Any good cases for the 920? I'm regretting the black and want to add some color to this thing.
I shopped for a case but they're all ugly so didn't to wait. I did buy a screen protector but don't really like it as it made the screen lose some sensitivity, looks crappy outdoors, and just doesn't feel as smooth as going bare.

Razdek

Banned
No, I don't have good signal, which is why I turned off cellular data. Which is a ridiculous thing to have to do on a cell phone. But I guess it still will try to connect to the cell network for calls, right? Maybe that is draining the battery. But my wife's iPhone 5 has to deal with the same signal problem and easily lasts a day. My iPhone 4 had similarly crappy 3g reception and easily lasted a day. This Nokia 920, even turning off every imaginable feature, isn't lasting 6 hours.

I agree with you that you shouldn't have to go through that extreme to get good battery life especially when it doesn't happen on other phones. When I had it I took all the precautions to maximize battery life and it still didn't help. It got tiring constantly worry about it. Hopefully they release an update for it before I consider jumping back in again.

qxF52.png
My Homescreen

abuC

There's no option on AT&T's site for buying this phone with no commitment, the closest I see is "Month to Month".

jgkspsx

I think I'm sold on the 920. Is cyan the color to get? It looks pretty... extreme, but likeable.

How are the camera apps on WP8 by now? Are things like panoramas and animations possible to do directly on the phone?

ilold

Banned
I think I'm sold on the 920. Is cyan the color to get? It looks pretty... extreme, but likeable.

How are the camera apps on WP8 by now? Are things like panoramas and animations possible to do directly on the phone?

just choose the color you want

uh animations? not sure about that

but for panoramas I use photo synth.

White Man

I really like this phone. I think it's the first time a cell phone has wowed me since iPhone 3g. Needs more good apps, though. Especially more apps with live tiles.

If by animation you meant Cinemagraph then yeah, you do that right on the phone. It's pretty neat actually. They should have make it easier to share beside having to go to Sky Drive.

Milchjon

From WPCentral, here's a trick how you can make Bing Maps available on the Lumias (Don't know if that's common knowledge):

Of course if I decide to search using local scout I inexplicably then get the Bing maps client instead and can now pin Bing items to the start screen and even use Bing maps provided it was launched in this over complicated way. It’s disjointed and I pray that Nokia don’t decide to take a similar approach with Nokia Music ever in the future; augmenting the Windows Phone experience is a great idea, changing it is a risky strategy.

Edit:

I guess no one picked up one of the JBL Speakers?
I think I'd want one, love the simplicity.

From WPCentral, here's a trick how you can make Bing Maps available on the Lumias (Don't know if that's common knowledge):

Oh thank you Jebus, I like bing maps and I don't like the idea of having to switch between two different apps. It's scientifically proven that change is bad.

PG2G

Nokia Music is a great piece of software. Don't know what to listem to? Pff, no problem - Nokia's got It covered.

My only problem with it is the hip hop stations have way too much clean music. Clean music just... ruins hip hop :p They need some sort of option

Liberty4all

Banned
Do your phones get warm when talking or taking video? Not "hot" but slightly warmer. Mine does at the back tight above the camera lense. Is that normal? My iPhone I never felt a spec of heat ...

Ragus

Banned
Do your phones get warm when talking or taking video? Not "hot" but slightly warmer. Mine does at the back tight above the camera lense. Is that normal? My iPhone I never felt a spec of heat ...

Yeah, I think it's normal. I also had it on my iP4.

-----

So, what's the deal with NFC method of paying? When will it be avaible?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I mainly notice my phone getting warm when I play Angry Birds: Star Wars and it is in the same spot on back, above the camera. I think my 900 and Focus when get warm on occasion as well, usually when I play games.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I really like this phone. I think it's the first time a cell phone has wowed me since iPhone 3g. Needs more good apps, though. Especially more apps with live tiles.

If you want a really nice Live Tile, check out TV show. The large tile shows what TV show you watch is on today (or random if nothing is on) and on the back what show (and episode) is coming up next.

abuC

Not anymore, for now. I tried it too and got "a plan is required" to buy the phone.

They offer it for $449 on the month to month plan, I wonder if you can buy it then cancel that same day. There's no contract, so there shouldn't be a early termination fee, right?

Ya tu sabe!

No option even if you have an att account and want to pay full price?

I don't have an AT&T account.

Discusguy

That's some bullshit there. Oh well looks like ill just wait in line at Amazon for a $20 920. Hope that deal is still there by the time I get home.

Ragus

Banned
Ok, so today I've drained the battery. Nokia turned itself off and when I turned it on, it still had 4%. After 10 minutes, it turned itself off again I couldn't turn it on anymore.

Now it's plugged into the ac adaptor. I hope, that this method of improving battery life will work for me :).

Ragus

Banned
Hey, guys, how long does it take you to charge this phone? 1 hour in, and it's only 33% charged. Isn't it a little too long?

Top Bottom