• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

zatara

Does anyone have an 820 series lumia that has their speaker crackle randomly when playing notifications like the speaker is blown? I have a 822 that does this randomly and it's annoying as hell

jokkir

40% left, 5 hours since last charge. Heavy internet usage and music playing for 3 hours straight. I'm happy with it.

I'm just wondering but does it show screen on time vs awake time like Android? I'm thinking of trying the phone out but need to see what the battery life is like

Let me in

I'm just wondering but does it show screen on time vs awake time like Android? I'm thinking of trying the phone out but need to see what the battery life is like

I must have gotten a "good" one because it's lasting me at least a day and a half with moderate usage.

Today I got it down to about 20% after 14 hours of texting, calling, sending multiple pictures, taking pictures, web browsing etc. I am happy with it.

Do you mean the battery life showing on the lockscreen? Because there are apps for that, but also you can get the full statistics from the settings under battery as such
OQ0TE.jpg
h50bq.png

NeOak

Do you mean the battery life showing on the lockscreen? Because there are apps for that, but also you can get the full statistics from the settings under battery as such

Be careful

Anyone that uses the "Battery Meter for WP8" be aware that its a battery hog. I killed my battery in less than one day after installing that app, after being able to use it for 2 days without problems before buying it.

Back to the free Battery Tile.

Boo! I was all excited with this Nokia free headphone offer but it is only for those that buy from Nokia pop-up store. (I went and exchanged the phone on the 16th, so I *was* barely qualify, but turn out it only if you buy the phone from Nokia).

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-holiday-purity-headset-offer

I didn't even know they have pop-up store here in the US.

FUCK YOU NOKIA. First you close your US store and then this shit?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
What's that website for a free charging pad again?

I get full signal all the time, must be why my battery life is better than average.

Yeah, I know I have crappy signal, which could certainly contribute to poor battery life. But that can't be the only reason. First, because I have crappy battery life even when I turn all cell data off. Second, because my iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 5 deal with the same crappy signal and are fine battery wise. Easily get through at least a workday, more than 24 hours most of the time.

So I'm just trying to figure out if its possible for the 920 to survive on a crappy signal, or if I'm going to have the same problem no matter how many times I exchange this for a new one.

So does anyone have crappy signal and still manage to get good battery life?

Are their any battery apps that don't drain battery by the bucket-full? I figure it couldn't hurt.
I have been using Battery Level on my Lumia and haven't have any problem. Yesterday my battery was at 80% when I got home after 10 hours, with light usage. (I was on my laptop most of the night shopping).

edit: the last update seems to broke the lock screen info however. It doesn't show up when battery is full, but may be that's by design.

Yeah, I know I have crappy signal, which could certainly contribute to poor battery life. But that can't be the only reason. First, because I have crappy battery life even when I turn all cell data off. Second, because my iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 5 deal with the same crappy signal and are fine battery wise. Easily get through at least a workday, more than 24 hours most of the time.

So I'm just trying to figure out if its possible for the 920 to survive on a crappy signal, or if I'm going to have the same problem no matter how many times I exchange this for a new one.

So does anyone have crappy signal and still manage to get good battery life?

How many time have you exchanged already? I would stick with an iPhone, Apple probably have better radio.

How many time have you exchanged already? I would stick with an iPhone, Apple probably have better radio.

This is only my second 920. The thing is that I really like almost everything about Windows Phone 8, and even 99% of the 920. If the battery could just get through a day without dying on me I would definitely stay with the 920. That's why I'm trying to figure out what the cause of the battery drain is, to find out if I'm going to be in the same situation if I swap for a third 920, or if there are actually 920s with a battery that doesn't crap out with poor signal.

If the 920 just isn't going to work for me I'd probably go something Android before going back to iOS, not because of anything particularly wrong with iOS, but because an iPhone 5 just doesn't feel like a "new" device after using a 4 for so long. I'm also considering an 8X at this point.

This is only my second 920. The thing is that I really like almost everything about Windows Phone 8, and even 99% of the 920. If the battery could just get through a day without dying on me I would definitely stay with the 920. That's why I'm trying to figure out what the cause of the battery drain is, to find out if I'm going to be in the same situation if I swap for a third 920, or if there are actually 920s with a battery that doesn't crap out with poor signal.

If the 920 just isn't going to work for me I'd probably go something Android before going back to iOS, not because of anything particularly wrong with iOS, but because an iPhone 5 just doesn't feel like a "new" device after using a 4 for so long. I'm also considering an 8X at this point.

I understand about iPhone, I used it for about 3 years. If not for Nokia phone, I probably would end up with Nexus 4. Though every time I go into At&t store and play with S3, Android just doesn't seems all that appealing, I miss the "personality" of Windows Phone. May be it might be difference with pure google device, if anything they are way ahead of MS when it come to integrate their eco-system.

The signal at my house is not as good as at my work but it's not awful by any mean so probably not going to be good test for you. I used to have to put my iPhone and both of my old Windows Phone in plane mode at my old work because the signal was just so bad my phone would died in less than 6 hours.

Dead

well not really...yet
Got my wireless charger today. Put it next to my bed. It doesn't really dawn on you just how convenient it is until you use it lol. Just icing on the cake for an already awesome phone.

Heretic

Got my wireless charger today. Put it next to my bed. It doesn't really dawn on you just how convenient it is until you use it lol. Just icing on the cake for an already awesome phone.

Awesome. My phone will be arriving tomorrow. I'm pretty excited =)

thirty

Banned
Anyone buy the JBL portable speakers? Last year's version has double the battery capacity but this year's design is more rugged.

Wow, suddenly my battery is freaking tenacious. Going on 28 hours since the last charge. Granted, I haven't been using the phone much in the past day, but there was still some web browsing and mine sweeping. I'm still a little concerned though, because probably 10 of those hours were spent with no cellular data, and wifi on but unconnected to anything (my router decided to reset its SSID and password). Plus, for some reason on the email + accounts setting page for some reason Twitter, Linkedin, and my Microsoft account are showing up as not up to date, even though my People section shows the latest posts on Twitter. I'm going to cautiously start turning back on all of the features I want to actually use, and maybe this phone will actually end up working out!

Ragus

Banned
Do you guys know how to input P and W letters into the number pad? I want to unlock my phone, I already got the instructions from the provider, and there it states, that I have to do something like this:

#pw+provided code+1#

I know how to do + (by holding 0), but how do I insert P and W?

Milchjon

Do you guys know how to input P and W letters into the number pad? I want to unlock my phone, I already got the instructions from the provider, and there it states, that I have to do something like this:

#pw+provided code+1#

Maybe pw just stands for password?

I have no clue about this procedure though, just a guess.

hwalker84

#pw+provided code+1#

Call the provider!

NeOak

#pw+provided code+1#

http://youtu.be/C72G3-saynQ

It should be like that, no need for entering the special characters since they don't work in WP7 nor WP8.

Basically, insert the SIM from the other provider, then type in the PIN number (8 numbers code you got).

kazinova

Two questions, do Powermat's wireless chargers work on the Qi standard (i.e. do they work with the 920)?

Anyone else having random SIM errors? I think I need to swap out my 920 for a different one.

Wow, suddenly my battery is freaking tenacious. Going on 28 hours since the last charge. Granted, I haven't been using the phone much in the past day, but there was still some web browsing and mine sweeping. I'm still a little concerned though, because probably 10 of those hours were spent with no cellular data, and wifi on but unconnected to anything (my router decided to reset its SSID and password). Plus, for some reason on the email + accounts setting page for some reason Twitter, Linkedin, and my Microsoft account are showing up as not up to date, even though my People section shows the latest posts on Twitter. I'm going to cautiously start turning back on all of the features I want to actually use, and maybe this phone will actually end up working out!

I was just coming here to post this--my battery life seems like it gets better and better. Yesterday, I ended the day with 80% battery life remaining.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Mine also seems to be improving as well.

Edit: We need more WP8 optimized apps. I hope the always on wifi comes soon too.

thirty

Banned
bought these sony MH1C earbuds. someone over at headfi gave them a great review and they're priced at less than $30 on amazon and ebay. i'll report back to say if the mic works for the 920.

genuine-sony-mh1c-headset-earphones-with-smartkey-control-black-bulk-pack.jpg

Any AT&T customers get their chargers? It's almost been 20 days since launch and mine are no where to be seen.

Still haven't gotten mine. I called AT&T support and they gave me a $25 credit for being so patient, then they re-ordered for me, and set it up for overnight shipping, but still it hasn't gotten out of the 'processing' state. Must be major shortages or something.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Nope. They're using Qi.

Sorry to be stubborn about this, but powermat's customer service says they are not Qi.

Yeah, I emailed them to check and make sure before I bought something, and they it was a no go.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1993203

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1968971

I bought the energizer mat and it works great with the 920.

Widespread wireless charging may be hindered, however, if competing companies get in each other's way. The Wireless Power Consortium standard, Qi, ensures that different brands are compatible with one another. However, Powermat, frustrated by the pace of adoption of Qi, left the group recently to work with Qualcomm and Samsung on a competing standard. So a Powermat charging pad in the LaGuardia Airport Delta terminal, for example, won't work with a Nokia Lumia Qi-compatible phone. Rabinowitz doesn't see that as much of a problem. Eventually, he says, one standard will win.

http://www.technologyreview.in/business/41217/

Top Bottom