• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

kazinova

I was looking to get a compatible Qi charging mat that I can bring to work that I won't worry about losing. The $50 Nokia pad is a bit expensive to leave on a desk in a factory. Thirty or less would be nice. Anyone have something that fits the bill?

hwalker84

I was looking to get a compatible Qi charging mat that I can bring to work that I won't worry about losing. The $50 Nokia pad is a bit expensive to leave on a desk in a factory. Thirty or less would be nice. Anyone have something that fits the bill?

The Energizer one was only $19.99 a few months ago. I bought a few and flipped them for $50.

For those that have it, what's the music playback quality like? I've distilled my mobile phone usage into 3 categories, communication/music/photography only one of those isn't covered extensively by reviews around the tech sites

thirty

Banned
With the Verizon 8X (and soon some Android phones) having wireless charging I expect more options to be available in the near future.

I'm just glad I was one of the few that bought the Energizer for cheap and got the Nokia charger free from ATT.

Oh, to add, wireless charging works through cases. Heck I set a spiral notebook on my Energizer and my phone on top of that add it charged.

hwalker84

For those that have it, what's the music playback quality like? I've distilled my mobile phone usage into 3 categories, communication/music/photography only one of those isn't covered extensively by reviews around the tech sites

Works and sounds great. The equalizer works perfectly too.

hwalker84

With the Verizon 8X (and soon some Android phones) having wireless charging I expect more options to be available in the near future.

I'm just glad I was one of the few that bought the Energizer for cheap and got the Nokia charger free from ATT.

Oh, to add, wireless charging works through cases. Heck I set a spiral notebook on my Energizer and my phone on top of that add it charged.

All I need is a Qi wireless charger for my car. I'd buy that in an instant.

All I need is a Qi wireless charger for my car. I'd buy that in an instant.
I sm curious if car lighter can put out enough power to do inductive charging.

I still have yet to see that Fatboy one. The standing one at my local store was sold and now they only have the speaker one left.

TKR92

Finally!!!

8220940985_9a85f37fc9_z.jpg

Dazzla

A colleague of mine picked up a white one unlocked from Phones 4 U (UK) for £459.99, paired it with a £21/m EE sim only deal ("unlimited" everything).

Played with it today, it's a super nice phone. The screen is lovely, the weight is great. It feels so good in hand and actually feels really, really dense. Like it's packed with tech! Had this in one hand and an iPhone 5 in the other, it was like night and day but I actually preferred the 920. Compared it to a nexus as well, the screen is a lot nicer on the 920.

Wurst

Good thing I went to have a hands-on today..
The yellow 920 looks awful. It's more like venom yellow and it looks really cheap. Switched through the tile colors and nothing fit. Even the standard yellow looked dirty.

Thought I would love it, but I'm going to cancel my preorder.
Damn it, I really wanted to go with something funky.
If only they brought the cyan over..

Good thing I went to have a hands-on today..
The yellow 920 looks awful. It's more like venom yellow and it looks really cheap. Switched through the tile colors and nothing fit. Even the standard yellow looked dirty.

Thought I would love it, but I'm going to cancel my preorder.
Damn it, I really wanted to go with something funky.
If only they brought the cyan over..
I think that Yellow looks nice but yeah the yellow tile color are kinda ugly.

I am telling you Red is awesome. Even preferred by stripper with good taste, or so I was told.

T.O.P

Banned
Lost my GSII on my last trip and i'm like 99% sure to get a 920 for christmas, any advise for a guy totally new to Windows phone?

How good is the app market? i already have an ipad for games and stuff so that's not my first thought btw

Ordered a yellow Lumia 920 on November 9th from AT&T. It never shipped after 2 weeks and AT&T finally just cancelled the order today (without even notifying me).

I placed a new order today. Let's see if they decide to even send me this one or maybe double bill me.

Awesome service from AT&T.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Lost my GSII on my last trip and i'm like 99% sure to get a 920 for christmas, any advise for a guy totally new to Windows phone?

How good is the app market? i already have an ipad for games and stuff so that's not my first thought btw

Coming from android, you won't have any problems adjusting. Its very simple, yet powerful and personal. You can view the available apps here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store

Boo! I was all excited with this Nokia free headphone offer but it is only for those that buy from Nokia pop-up store. (I went and exchanged the phone on the 16th, so I *was* barely qualify, but turn out it only if you buy the phone from Nokia).

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-holiday-purity-headset-offer

I didn't even know they have pop-up store here in the US.

That can't be right. The PDF rules on that site say that you can purchase from any AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon store.

http://www.nokiaholidayheadset.com/static//Nokia_Holiday_Headset_Rules.pdf

Terms and Conditions

End-user legal residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older, who purchase a qualifying Nokia Lumia device during the “Offer Period” (defined below) at participating AT&T®, T-Mobile® or Verizon® retail stores in the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, will be eligible to receive one (1) Nokia Monster Purity Headset; Model WH-920 (ARV: $90.00) by mail, while supplies last (the “Offer”). The qualifying Nokia Lumia devices for this offer are: Nokia Lumia 820 (AT&T), Nokia Lumia 920 (AT&T), Nokia Lumia 810 (T-Mobile) and Nokia Lumia 822 (Verizon). Limit one (1) Offer per device/person/household. Void where prohibited. All claim submissions must include the sales receipt showing purchase price and store name, dated between November 20, 2012, and December 31, 2012, and the 15-digit IMEI of the device purchased.

That can't be right. The PDF rules on that site say that you can purchase from any AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon store.

http://www.nokiaholidayheadset.com/static//Nokia_Holiday_Headset_Rules.pdf

Hmm..I might just send mine in. I wonder how closely they look at those receipts.

A commenters on the WPCentral said they changed the official rules ... so only Nokia Store purchased are eligible. Sending mine in anyway, what the worst they can do it only cost me a postage stamp. (Oh and cut up that super-ugly At&t box).

Another restriction.Offer only available from select retailers. According to the web site, you must have purchased from one of the following retailers:
"Participating Retail Stores for this offer are located ONLY in these Shopping Centers:
Mall of Georgia (Atlanta, GA)
Northridge Fashion Center (Los Angeles, CA)
Queens Center Mall (New York, NY)
South Shore Plaza (Boston, MA)
Stonebriar Center (Dallas, TX)
Stoneridge Shopping Center (San Francisco, CA)
Westfield Southcenter (Seattle, WA)
Woodfield Mall (Chicago, IL)"

Heh, I guess that's where all the pop up stores are at.

Ragus

Banned
I love this phone. Great build quality, fast OS, good screen and fabulous camera.

What I don't like and hope to be patched in:

-universal volume control is bad. I don't like, when I for example lower the volume while listening to music, and because of that I also lower the volume of ringtone and alarm

-there should be an option to disable vibrations while using back/home/search buttons

-it's a pity, that I can't change the search engine to google

I love this phone. Great build quality, fast OS, good screen and fabulous camera.

What I don't like and hope to be patched in:

-universal volume control is bad. I don't like, when I for example lower the volume while listening to music, and because of that I also lower the volume of ringtone and alarm

-there should be an option to disable vibrations while using back/home/search buttons

-it's a pity, that I can't change the search engine to google

You can in the browser option, it let you pick Bing or Google. Go to setting and then go to Advance setting.

And yes, they really need independent volume control.

First day of school since I got my Lumia, was showing it off to all of my friends, got to use my phone while waiting for the bus/on the bus WITH gloves on. I got a few odd looks while doing that. Infact, someone asked me "How are you doing that?" while holding up their Iphone.

Milchjon

First day of school since I got my Lumia, was showing it off to all of my friends, got to use my phone while waiting for the bus/on the bus WITH gloves on. I got a few odd looks while doing that. Infact, someone asked me "How are you doing that?" while holding up their Iphone.

Did you say #MeetYourMatch?

Top Bottom