• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Satchel

Banned
Just picked up my black hot piece of ass.

Fucking love this phone. I've killed the battery so on using my iPhone 4 until I can get home and fully charge it.

My limited time with it though was still amazing. I adore the way me and the photos apps bundle all your social media shit together.

Phenomenal.

Bah battery life was crap again today. Went 28 hours on the last charge yesterday, only 8 hours on the next today. I guess 8 is slightly better than the 920 I returned last week.

I think it might be some kind of sync bug, though. I mentioned yesterday that at the end of my phone's marathon session yesterday I opened up the accounts + emails settings page, and Twitter, Linkedin, and Hotmail all read as not up to date, and that they hadn't been synced in a long time. Those messages were gone today with the shortened battery life span, which I guess means that those three accounts were merrily syncing away all day and draining my battery. Only, the Hotmail account says it only syncs once per day, and the other two don't even mention syncing on the accounts + email page. Hmm...

Satchel

Banned
Anyone else having an issue with Skydrive suddenly not being able to see photos?

tells me now I can't view them unless connected to WiFi or a mobile network. I'm connected to both.

strange.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Anyone else having an issue with Skydrive suddenly not being able to see photos?

tells me now I can't view them unless connected to WiFi or a mobile network. I'm connected to both.

strange.

I don't have a Lumia, but do have that same issue. Always have.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

strange.

Seems to work ok with me. And I am not connected to wifi right now.

TKR92

I still prefer yellow to other colors. LOL

8224283882_32f93c4fdf_n.jpg
8222627142_b8066bf6ba_n.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'll be joining the cool club this week :D. Got a shipping confirmation a few hours ago!
Getting the hot as fuck yellow.

Edit: Those are some damn sexy pics right there. But what's up with your carriers having to brand the phones with the logos? Never seen that happen in Sweden afaik

Hesemonni

Banned
Today I played around with the 920 of one of our employees. Is it just me, or does the phone feel incredibly slippery? I felt a lot more comfortable with 800 in this sense.

Blackhead

Redarse

How many accent colors and backgrounds actually look good with the yellow lumia 920? (post pics of the best combos if you can).

I wanted the yellow model too but now I'm leaning towards a white model because I want a white background and regular switching of accent colors.

Edit: is it only the Rogers version that is pentaband? Can the AT&T versions be unlocked yet?

hwalker84

F**k me.
I just don't get yellow.. your pics look sexy as hell but my hands on yesterday made me cancel my preorder..
I don't know what to feel anymore :/

Pics for me it looks great. When I had the dummy model in my hands I didn't like it at all.

zedge

I'll be joining the cool club this week :D. Got a shipping confirmation a few hours ago!
Getting the hot as fuck yellow.

Edit: Those are some damn sexy pics right there. But what's up with your carriers having to brand the phones with the logos? Never seen that happen in Sweden afaik
No ugly carrier logo in Canada. Bro fist!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Today I played around with the 920 of one of our employees. Is it just me, or does the phone feel incredibly slippery? I felt a lot more comfortable with 800 in this sense.

Even my matte cyan feels a bit slippery, not sure if you touched a matte version or gloss version. Still, the hand feel of a matte Lumia is incomparable.

TKR92

F**k me.
I just don't get yellow.. your pics look sexy as hell but my hands on yesterday made me cancel my preorder..
I don't know what to feel anymore :/

What I realize is that the color feels really different, depends on lighting/environment.

So it could be ugly to many people.

TKR92

How many accent colors and backgrounds actually look good with the yellow lumia 920? (post pics of the best combos if you can).

I wanted the yellow model too but now I'm leaning towards a white model because I want a white background and regular switching of accent colors.

Edit: is it only the Rogers version that is pentaband? Can the AT&T versions be unlocked yet?

I haven't try many of them yet. But the white background does not look good to me.
Anyways I will post it later.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Phone is a bit slippery, just need to be aware of it and be careful. I was showing it to my buddy and he almost dropped it immediately, :lol

I have been pretty fortunate to not have any accidents with mu last three phones.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
After having the phone for over a week, I think I can give my "review" of the device, in condensed fashion.

Positives:

-The camera. Oh wow, dat camera. Daylight pics look good, but any high end phone on the market can take fantastic pics in daylight. This phone's low light pics are nothing short of miraculous for a smartphone. You guys have seen samples, but it's just so hard to explain because honestly, when I show people low light shots, they think I'm somehow cheating or that there was some light source there cause everything looks lit up like I have the power of lightning everywhere I go. Two points about the camera that might be overlooked by reviews you read on the web but that you notice once you own the phone: 1. OIS is more than just low light pictures, it also produces remarkably steady video and more importantly, blur-free photos the vast majority of the time. I'd already gotten used to taking multiple shots on my phones because at least some would ALWAYS be blurry. The Lumia 920 takes consistently better, more blur free photos than any other phone on the market. You just have a better chance at getting a good shot the very first time. 2. Audio recording is excellent. You can take a look at the countless concert videos on youtube, the 920's audio recording capabilities are top notch.

-The screen. It has better pixel density than Apple's phones, smoother scrolling thanks to higher refresh rates, and very good color reproduction. Daylight viewing on this phone is the best I've ever seen. I live on an island, sunny all the damn time, and I never ever struggle to see what's on my screen. This may be the overall best screen on any phone on the market (the 1080p phones will change that very soon), though it is not flawless, as the blacks aren't amoled-deep and some folks prefer the 8X/OneX screen for color.

-The build quality. It's solid, it feels great in my hands, and the feel of the cyan matte polycarbonate in my hands is something I don't think I'll ever get tired of. I also find the design gorgeous and nearly perfect, if it were lighter and didn't have such a big bezel at the bottom. Sometimes I pick up the phone for no other reason than to feel it up. It's also a legendarily tough phone, with youtube videos showing just how difficult it is to break, and my personal experience dropping it on ceramic tile and it holding up like a champ.

-The OS. I'll do a separate OS review in the main WP OT, but the 920 is a great showpiece for MS' smooth, slick, and lively OS.

-Audio. I have the Nokia in ear headphones and the audio out of this phone is amazing. It's better than any phone I've ever used, but the one area where I haven't put the GS3 and iP5 through their paces is audio, so I can't comment on how it compares to those two devices.

NEGATIVES:

-The weight. I can't really get around it, it's just heavy and relatively thick. It's the very first thing every single person I've handed the phone to says. I know a few of them were turned off by the size. Yes, you can get used to it, but personally I notice the weight every single time I pick it up.

-The OS. Again, I'll do a longer review in the WP OT, but the OS has bugs and feature holes reminiscent of a new OS. Except this is MS' third reboot if you count WP7, mango, and now Apollo. Each update brought great new features but also had annoying limitations and bugs that aren't patched quickly enough. The app situation is not something that bothers me. I have an iPad and an Android phone, but I don't really miss anything anyway, so I'm not the best person to opine on that.

-Battery life. This is actually not better or worse than my previous phones, but with a larger battery, I expected better. Because my data/phone signal has been atrocious for a solid two months and my Focus S' battery got worse through that, I'm not sure if that's the main cause, so I'll get to find out more about the battery when I visit Chicago next month.

I can't believe I ordered this phone in yellow about 3 weeks ago from AT&T and I still do not have it. Beginning to wonder if I will actually get mine by Christmas.

Is this because I'm not buying on contract and AT&T puts me at the bottom of the list?

CaptainABAB

When I looked at a yellow one in the AT&T store, the yellow accent on black does not seem to fit - not neon enough IMO.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wish I could find a charging stand. Probably going to have to order online. I wouldn't mind the Energizer charging pad.

Tonza

Got my yellow 920. I actually got the yellow because it is not basic yellow but a bit neon hue.

It's charging now but will try some colour schemes to see which fit. I think purple would maybe be good with the neon.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on verizon and getting a windows 8 phone friday. For Verizon the choice is the HTC 8x or Lumia 822. Which one?

I would get the 8X.

Pro's for 822:

-Expandable storage
-Nokia Apps
-Super-sensitive touch
-optional wireless charging

Pro's for 8X

-HD screen
-look and design
-built in wireless charging
-better FFC

I love the 8x, but there are tradeoffs. The screen res is #1 for me, so that's why it wins. It'd be a much harder choice if th 822 had the same screen as the 920

I love the 8x, but there are tradeoffs. The screen res is #1 for me, so that's why it wins. It'd be a much harder choice if th 822 had the same screen as the 920

I don't know why Nokia didn't bump the screen resolution up for the 820. That probably would make 920 less "desirable" especially those that don't really care for phone camera.

Do you have rebooting problem with your 8X?

Ragus

Banned
Fuck, since yesterday my Lumia tends to drop calls. Not always, but lets say that in 10 calls, 2 are dropped. Sometimes after a minute, and sometimes after 5-6 minutes. I dunno, maybe I'm touching the screen with my ear and that's why it drops the calls?

:(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Fuck, since yesterday my Lumia tends to drop calls. Not always, but lets say that in 10 calls, 2 are dropped. Sometimes after a minute, and sometimes after 5-6 minutes. I dunno, maybe I'm touching the screen with my ear and that's why it drops the calls?

I thought this was just at&t, but I dropped three calls today. Then again, at&t has been awful lately and my coworkers have been dropping calls too. I don't know what to think.

I haven't have problem with drop call but the other day while using the phone, I did touch the mute button by accident, may be need to turn down screen sensitivity.

That said, call quality is terrible today on my phone people were saying it was hard to hear and I didn't have that problem yesterday. So I am thinking it's At&t.

Satchel

Banned
Weird thing happened to me this morning.

2 day old Lumia just wouldn't turn on. AT ALL. plugged it back into the charger for a bit, nothing. So took the sim out, put it back into my iPhone 4. After a few more minutes, I went back to the Lumia to try one last time to turn it on...bam, it turns on. Strange.

Also, my earlier Skydrive problem appears to be a common one amongst Windows Phones. The reviews on the windows phone website have a few posts from people complaining about the exact same thing.

Weird thing happened to me this morning.

2 day old Lumia just wouldn't turn on. AT ALL. plugged it back into the charger for a bit, nothing. So took the sim out, put it back into my iPhone 4. After a few more minutes, I went back to the Lumia to try one last time to turn it on...bam, it turns on. Strange.

Also, my earlier Skydrive problem appears to be a common one amongst Windows Phones. The reviews on the windows phone website have a few posts from people complaining about the exact same thing.

You probably will need to exchange it. My first one did that, it apparently froze or crash while in sleep mode. Then after awhile the on button would response again by rebooting. You can force it to reboot by holding down volume down and power button for about 10 sec or until phone vibrate and that should do soft reboot. It's one of the bugs reported but seems to be rarer issue on Lumia 920 than the battery drain and spontaneously rebooting problem.

Liberty4all

Banned
Im thinking about exchanging my phone ... It still gets really warm at the back, borderline hot above the lense. Im worried about it ... :(

the wierd thing is that there is no rhyme or reason ... Calls 4 #
sure warm, movies sometimes not but sometimes yes ... Ugh

i cant decide if this is normal or not. Im getting about 11 - 12 hours a charge with medium use (minimal calls mostly browsing).

today us the last day i can exchange.

edit: at rogers right now .. Exchanging

Top Bottom