• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

KoukiFC

Neo Member
I make sure I don't have anything in the background. Its an ocd thing I even had with the iPhone.

mobile signal is fine in my house too.

lowered screen brightness, screen sensitivity, told the phone not to look for LTE, the lot.

mmmm...concerning.

Do you have any background apps enabled? Nokia Drive seems to be a big culprit.

zedge

The Rogers I went to was pretty good (McKnight and 52nd, which is the store I got it from). Poor battery was my main issue I went off of , as well as heat (not really much of an issue) and the clicking in the corner. Took about 45 minutes. They had to call tech support on their end, but it went smooth. Could have been lucky with the guy I dealt with as well.
Just swapped mine. This one seems more solid so far. Also noticed more Rogers apps installed, must be newer ones.

ok this feels like a completely different phone than my last one. Even the hardware buttons feel more solid, they were loose and wiggly on the last one.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just swapped mine. This one seems more solid so far. Also noticed more Rogers apps installed, must be newer ones.

ok this feels like a completely different phone than my last one. Even the hardware buttons feel more solid, they were loose and wiggly on the last one.

Good to hear. The Rogers apps were on my new one as well, but I also found them on the marketplace with my previous 920.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wow.. Even my texts are back on this new phone.. Not used to this with android. Awesome.

Yeah, I got everything back including my app list. The only bummer is that you lose app settings and game progress (except for games like Wordament, etc.). Would like to see that rectified.

I just killed my battery and I'm doing a full recharge.

zedge

Heh, too true. I still have my S3 and it feels so cold and lifeless, my Lumia feels almost organic, and alive. Don't think I can go back to Android full time now.. :/ This despite the current flaws with WP8.

I actually recoiled after picking up my iPhone 4 (although to be fair the wood backplate makes it seem even older) and picking up my wife's iPhone 5, it feels like it could crumble in my hands.

Edit: of course, the bad part is that I still have to use my iPhone 4 from time to time because there aren't any good podcasts apps on WP8 yet. And yes I tried Podcasts!

Boris

Neo Member
lol my battery seems to be doing just fine. Remaining can't be accurate..

T1kMt.jpg

Razdek

Banned
Yeah, I got everything back including my app list. The only bummer is that you lose app settings and game progress (except for games like Wordament, etc.). Would like to see that rectified.

I just killed my battery and I'm doing a full recharge.

I thought you previously said you were getting good battery life?

dLMN8R

The estimated time remaining doesn't take long-term historical usage into account as well as it should. It'll dramatically swing in one way or another based on what you were most recently just doing on the phone.

Boris

Neo Member
The estimated time remaining doesn't take long-term historical usage into account as well as it should. It'll dramatically swing in one way or another based on what you were most recently just doing on the phone.

yeah. now it dropped to 4 hours. haha

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I thought you previously said you were getting good battery life?

It varied a fair bit. It wasn't so bad when I would turn off the data at home. I'm curious to see how this phone compares.

I mainly took it in for the cosmetic issues with the phone zedge mentioned earlier.

Ragus

Banned
I have awesome battery time on my 920. 2 days of moderate-heavy usage are no problem for me. Location on, Wifi/H+ on, max brightness etc. It's basically the same experience as on my old iPhone 4, and I love it.

Maybe it's because my provider does not support LTE? I heard that this is a beast when it comes to battery drain.

Liberty4all

Banned
I am glad I swapped mine. Battery life on the new one is almost double the one I exchanged and it gets nowhere near as warm.

I'm using LTE so that wasn't the problem. I honestly think that some of the phones were duds.

Liberty4all

Banned

my replacement had the new Rogers apps too making me think this us a new batch

kazinova

Got my wireless charger, the colors matched the phone, I thought I was only going to get the black charger but we got white and red. I'm definitely going to snag another one at the AT&T store asap. The induction loss across my case isn't bad at all. The phone charged from 40% to full in about 2 hours.

In case people are thinking of mounting their chargers under tables the thickness of the material between the sending coil and receiving coil reduces the efficiency by distance squared. So it'll take longer and cost more money in electricity (and it's just wasteful).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This phone GAF. This fucking phone. Why is it so good to me? I love the UI. I wouldn't change it for anything.

Krakatoa

Wireless chargers arrived yesterday and I was extremely impressed with the quality.

Another cool thing was that AT&T sent us the wireless charges in the color of our phones. So my wife received a white charger and I received a red one.

thirty

Banned
Got my wireless charger, the colors matched the phone, I thought I was only going to get the black charger but we got white and red. I'm definitely going to snag another one at the AT&T store asap. The induction loss across my case isn't bad at all. The phone charged from 40% to full in about 2 hours.

In case people are thinking of mounting their chargers under tables the thickness of the material between the sending coil and receiving coil reduces the efficiency by distance squared. So it'll take longer and cost more money in electricity (and it's just wasteful).
http://www.mobileburn.com/19330/news/qi-extends-wireless-device-charging-distance-to-40mm

Qi officially extends to 40mm which is about an inch and a half. i'm sure the type of material between the phone and charger will reduce this but for the common desk, it should be fine. as to charging speeds, the Qi standard is already slow at 750mah compared to plugging in via micro usb at 1.3amps. so roughly, wireless charging charges at about half the speed.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I also have to give a shout out to the gent who recommended me Wordament. I did dismiss it at first but the game is awesome as shit. Highly recommended.

Raistlin

Interesting project for those looking for another wireless charging pad:

electree+, the electric bonsaï tree for your home or office. by electree+ — Kickstarter

Pretty cool concept ... though IIRC a more pronounced Fibonacci arrangement has demonstrated higher efficiency. Still neat though.

Thing looks pretty freaking huge however.

Wireless chargers arrived yesterday and I was extremely impressed with the quality.

Another cool thing was that AT&T sent us the wireless charges in the color of our phones. So my wife received a white charger and I received a red one.
Early bird doesn't get the worm it seems.

People who pre-ordered get a black charger ... no free headphones ... etc. :\

thirty

Banned
getting my Play 360 speakers today, can't wait to try NFC and see how far bluetooth audio has come since last i tried it.

Wow this phone really better be worth the "weight" after what AT&T is putting me through to get it.

The people who got the yellow version were you able to buy the phone with no-contract? AT&T told me the reason why the system kept cancelling my order is because it was a no-contract order.

I originally ordered the Lumia 920 (in yellow) 3 weeks ago on the AT&T website and the status never changed from "backordered." A little more than 2 weeks later the order was mysteriously cancelled without notice, so I thought that was strange and ordered the phone again on Monday. It says the phone is backordered so I wait again. After another week of checking the website each day the order has been cancelled yet again. So I call up AT&T to find out what's going on and finally get transferred to a warehouse. The rep tells me that my orders were being cancelled because the system was automatically knocking people off the list who are not buying on-contract. Very nice, no wonder AT&T is rated the worst carrier in America. So she says the phone is in stock and ready to ship overnight (despite the fact that the website clearly says otherwise) and places the order herself. Of course the wireless charging plate is not in stock and at this point I guess I should feel lucky to even receive a Lumia of any color tomorrow.

Satchel

Banned
Any reason they recommend you don't always have the battery saver on?

I wanted to try it for a full cycle and its been great so far.

14 hours gone and I'm at 70%. Much better.

ElNino

Any reason they recommend you don't always have the battery saver on?

I wanted to try it for a full cycle and its been great so far.

14 hours gone and I'm at 70%. Much better.
Only reason to not recommend it all the time is that it stops all push/sync and background tasks. I believe only voice and text connections are active when in battery saver mode. You can sync your apps/email/etc but you have to do it manually.

Wow this phone really better be worth the "weight" after what AT&T is putting me through to get it.

The people who got the yellow version were you able to buy the phone with no-contract? AT&T told me the reason why the system kept cancelling my order is because it was a no-contract order.

I originally ordered the Lumia 920 (in yellow) 3 weeks ago on the AT&T website and the status never changed from "backordered." A little more than 2 weeks later the order was mysteriously cancelled without notice, so I thought that was strange and ordered the phone again on Monday. It says the phone is backordered so I wait again. After another week of checking the website each day the order has been cancelled yet again. So I call up AT&T to find out what's going on and finally get transferred to a warehouse. The rep tells me that my orders were being cancelled because the system was automatically knocking people off the list who are not buying on-contract. Very nice, no wonder AT&T is rated the worst carrier in America. So she says the phone is in stock and ready to ship overnight (despite the fact that the website clearly says otherwise) and places the order herself. Of course the wireless charging plate is not in stock and at this point I guess I should feel lucky to even receive a Lumia of any color tomorrow.

To answer your question, I got mine thru the phone store. But then again, I'm not in the states, but I feel your pain in regards to AT&T. They're pretty awful.

6xeQ3.jpg

Woo~ I finally got my 920. Transfer from iOS and so far I love it. Althought I do wish there's options to have dual languages on things like maps and stuff. There's some games that I want on there but it's not available. I do hope that the apps store will pick up steam soon!

Honestly, try a different rep. I was trying to get a free charger with my Lumia, and the first one told me stock was limited, and it wasn't a part of the initial order, so I was out of luck and would have to call sales.

Second one I tried looked into it and I should now receive my charger in December.

Honestly, try a different rep. I was trying to get a free charger with my Lumia, and the first one told me stock was limited, and it wasn't a part of the initial order, so I was out of luck and would have to call sales.

Second one I tried looked into it and I should now receive my charger in December.

Well supposedly this last rep who placed the order for me claims that I'm going to be sent the yellow Lumia 920 overnight and that the wireless charger will be shipped when available. She also told me that I'd have to go to the back of the line waiting for the wireless charger as though I just ordered it today (even though I ordered this phone 3 weeks ago).

I'd say my feelings are that I have about a 75% chance of receiving the phone I wanted and 45% chance of ever having the wireless charger sent to me without further calls to customer service.

Pachimari

I just got myself a Lumia 800 on sale. Is it still worth it? Did it get the 7.8 firmware update and what new stuff did it get?

I haven't opened the package yet.

Ragus

Banned
2 random shutdowns yesterday.
1 random shutdown today.

I might set up an alarm clock on my DSi, as I'm scared, that one day, the phone will turn itself off and won't wake me up.

Microsoft, fix this shit.

I'd say my feelings are that I have about a 75% chance of receiving the phone I wanted and 45% chance of ever having the wireless charger sent to me without further calls to customer service.

Yeeeeeeah, with my rep, I asked, "Okay, can I get an order or tracking number"?

They said it would use the same order number as my initial order, which was already delivered.

Definitely e-mailed that chat log to myself in case I need to use it later.

Top Bottom