• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

15 days with my 920 and experienced my first random reboot just now, hahahaha. No apps running too.

Using Bluetooth?

That did it for my phone every times, but only when I used the microphone that built into my car Bluetooth system. It's good thing I hardly ever use it because my car Bluetooth system is horrible so I just use the phone or Bluetooth headset.

Wow I think maybe my phone killed my SSD. My laptop shut itself off the moment I plugged the USB cable in, and it didn't start back up until I swapped in my old hard drive.

Also while writing this post my phone has spontaneously exited out to the home screen 4 times despite my fingers being nowhere near the Windows key or the back key. Mega frustrating.

Raistlin

Wow I think maybe my phone killed my SSD. My laptop shut itself off the moment I plugged the USB cable in, and it didn't start back up until I swapped in my old hard drive.
Pretty sure that's a coincidence

Also while writing this post my phone has spontaneously exited out to the home screen 4 times despite my fingers being nowhere near the Windows key or the back key. Mega frustrating.
It's possible you weren't hitting the Win key. That's what happens when an app crashes as well.

Also, sometimes an app will get into a funny state where when you launch it, it immediately crashes (rinse & repeat). If I had to guess, it's probably some poor error handling/clean up. The OS probably thinks it's still an active app from the prior crash, and reloads in the bad data that was cached.

Regardless, a soft reboot usually fixes the issue. Though if it remains, deleting and re-installing should work. Obviously the worse case scenario (assuming the app itself doesn't have a serious bug - and it's only your phone that seems affected), is that you have to do a hard reset. Usually that's not the case though.

thirty

Banned
*DEAL ALERT*

Nokia Play 360 (available in Black, White, and Cyan) is currently an Amazon Lightning Deal

$50 off ($99)
if you wanna buy a pair, amazon wont let you buy 2 of the same color.

these older models can pair up for stereo Bluetooth and offer double the battery life of the newer model. The only feature the newer version has over this older model is a rubberized rugged design.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
if you wanna buy a pair, amazon wont let you buy 2 of the same color.

these older models can pair up for stereo Bluetooth and offer double the battery life of the newer model. The only feature the newer version has over this older model is a rubberized rugged design.

Does the version on sale at Amazon have NFC?

Pretty sure that's a coincidence

It's possible you weren't hitting the Win key. That's what happens when an app crashes as well.

Also, sometimes an app will get into a funny state where when you launch it, it immediately crashes (rinse & repeat). If I had to guess, it's probably some poor error handling/clean up. The OS probably thinks it's still an active app from the prior crash, and reloads in the bad data that was cached.

Regardless, a soft reboot usually fixes the issue. Though if it remains, deleting and re-installing should work. Obviously the worse case scenario (assuming the app itself doesn't have a serious bug - and it's only your phone that seems affected), is that you have to do a hard reset. Usually that's not the case though.

Yeah I'm hoping the SSD was just a random crash but not turning back on is pretty scary.

As for spontaneous exiting from an app, the only time it happens is with IE. Is there a way to reinstall that?

Liberty4all

Banned
Just got back with my new phone after doing the exchange. This one seems to run ALOT cooler and also it may be my imagination but the battery doesn't seem to be dying as fast.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back with my new phone after doing the exchange. This one seems to run ALOT cooler and also it may be my imagination but the battery doesn't seem to be dying as fast.

Your with Rogers right? I'm wondering if I should do the same. Did they give you any grief?

It hasn't ever happened consistently except for the post where I mentioned it. So I've never felt the need to take steps to correct it. What exactly is the difference between a soft reset/reboot and a hard one? Which one is holding down the power button and then swiping down?

Also SSD started working again yaay. Wonder what that was all about. I need to get better control of my technology.

zedge

Anyone else noticed any creaking sounds from their phone? Mine makes a click near the sim tray if I press there, like its not totally flush. Also the lower left side creaks if I squeeze there, noticed it when taking a picture as your thumb rests here when you press the hardware camera button. The back of the phone also creaks if run my finger around it. Is this normal? I kinda though it was some super hard shell.

Found a thread on the top part being a bit loose here. Mine is not that bad though.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/205141-attention-possible-lumia-920-design-defect.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p6iXCH56T3M

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else noticed any creaking sounds from their phone? Mine makes a click near the sim tray if I press there, like its not totally flush. Also the lower left side creaks if I squeeze there, noticed it when taking a picture as your thumb rests here when you press the hardware camera button. The back of the phone also creaks if run my finger around it. Is this normal? I kinda though it was some super hard shell.

Found a thread on the top part being a bit loose here. Mine is not that bad though.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/205141-attention-possible-lumia-920-design-defect.html

Edit: I don't think it is a big deal.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
LOL, yours too? :/

Gah, I am OCD'ing like crazy over this now.. sigh.

It is just noticeable if I press the screen in the upper left. Maybe it has something to do with the placement of the sim slot. If the rest of your phone is fine, I wouldn't work about it.

zedge

It is just noticeable if I press the screen in the upper left. Maybe it has something to do with the placement of the sim slot. If the rest of your phone is fine, I wouldn't work about it.

The creaking on the lower left bothers me more. Notice it every time I use the camera.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The creaking on the lower left bothers me more. Notice it every time I use the camera.

Are you going to try an exchange. I was going to just because of heat and the wonky battery. Worried that the Rogers I went to will not have any stock though.

zedge

Are you going to try an exchange. I was going to just because of heat and the wonky battery. Worried that the Rogers I went to will not have any stock though.
I dunno. See how I feel in a day or two. Worried I may get one with battery issues. My battery has been fantastic on this thing so far.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno. See how I feel in a day or two. Worried I may get one with battery issues. My battery has been fantastic on this thing so far.

Not sure what I will do either. Kt hasn't been that bad. The heat is the most noticeable thing, but that may be normal in cases.

Nope, I dont got it.

Anyone else noticed any creaking sounds from their phone? Mine makes a click near the sim tray if I press there, like its not totally flush.

The first 920 I had dropped off of my nightstand and hit the metal frame of my bed. After that the lower right corner had a small dent and there was a noticeable gap between the case and the screen surround right under the SIM slot. However, pressing hard on the case on the top left corner popped it back together nicely, with no more creaking.

PG2G

So uhhhh

Is there actually no decent clock tile app?

I think it'd be hard to do because background tasks can't run as often as it would take to keep a clock relatively up to date. HTC probably has access to something special.

TKR92

Just got the wireless charging pad.

8230172738_78d478d794.jpg

So this is weird. Plugged my phone in for charging overnight and this morning I am only at 50%. I am on a charger now so maybe I was an idiot and didn't have it plugged in all the way or idk. I'm gonna try again tonight with the charger from the box and see what happens. The shitty thing is I ordered off bestbuy.com and bet the exchange process would be hell. I also have the accidental plan

Raistlin

It hasn't ever happened consistently except for the post where I mentioned it. So I've never felt the need to take steps to correct it. What exactly is the difference between a soft reset/reboot and a hard one? Which one is holding down the power button and then swiping down?

Also SSD started working again yaay. Wonder what that was all about. I need to get better control of my technology.

A 'soft reset' is simply a reboot.
A 'hard reset' is actually a reset to default. Basically reformatting it and starting over.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to find out if your phone is unlocked. Curious to know if my Rogers 920 is one of the ones that was unlocked.

Satchel

Banned
Really weird. My phone lost 40% of its battery in sleep mode overnight.

Alarm got me up this morning. Came back after my shower to pick up my phone and it was warm, like it had been doing something.

zedge

Too late, I did and exchange, :lol

Not sure about the battery yet, but it seems more solid and doesn't click in the upper left. The phone is a later batch than my other one as well.
Was it easy to swap? Thinking I may try after work. Noticed I also have a yellow tint when screen is white like gaf. :( Hope they have stock.

Really weird. My phone lost 40% of its battery in sleep mode overnight.

Alarm got me up this morning. Came back after my shower to pick up my phone and it was warm, like it had been doing something.
It's plotting against you. Kill it with fire!

It seems you have something running in the background. How long have you have the phone. I find it take few days of usage for phone battery to adjust and calibrated. Also how is the signal strength in your home. My battery is slightly worst when I am home because we have poor signal in my house.

Satchel

Banned
It's plotting against you. Kill it with fire!

It seems you have something running in the background. How long have you have the phone. I find it take few days of usage for phone battery to adjust and calibrated. Also how is the signal strength in your home. My battery is slightly worst when I am home because we have poor signal in my house.

I make sure I don't have anything in the background. Its an ocd thing I even had with the iPhone.

mobile signal is fine in my house too.

lowered screen brightness, screen sensitivity, told the phone not to look for LTE, the lot.

mmmm...concerning.

thirty

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8RzO7Xzglk&sns=em

I posted a while back that the wireless charger works through a thick notebook. Well this guy stuck his charger under his desk and bamm, wireless charging through furniture. I now wish I had bought more of those Energizers for cheap. I'm going to strap one of my chargers into my home entertainment cabinet at home later.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Was it easy to swap? Thinking I may try after work. Noticed I also have a yellow tint when screen is white like gaf. :( Hope they have stock.

The Rogers I went to was pretty good (McKnight and 52nd, which is the store I got it from). Poor battery was my main issue I went off of , as well as heat (not really much of an issue) and the clicking in the corner. Took about 45 minutes. They had to call tech support on their end, but it went smooth. Could have been lucky with the guy I dealt with as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8RzO7Xzglk&sns=em

I posted a while back that the wireless charger works through a thick notebook. Well this guy stuck his charger under his desk and bamm, wireless charging through furniture. I now wish I had bought more of those Energizers for cheap. I'm going to strap one of my chargers into my home entertainment cabinet at home later.
If I have known how awesome wireless charging is, I would have order a few too and bolted one to the underside of my desk.

Top Bottom