• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Blackhead

Redarse
I got the 920 today. was tired of waiting for more colors (white and yellow in particular) to be available and finally got the black.
I'm glad I went with the Nokia as the Transit app saved my freezing butt when I found out that nextbus.com wasn't working in IE. What's up with that? It can't get my location for no reason (I've checked the Settings and given permission). I'll put Nokia Transit through its paces but I love Nextbus.com...

I got the 920 today. was tired of waiting for more colors (white and yellow in particular) to be available and finally got the black.

I'm glad I went with the Nokia as the Transit app saved my freezing butt when I found out that nextbus.com wasn't working in IE. What's up with that? It can't get my location for no reason (I've checked the Settings and given permission). I'll put Nokia Transit through its paces but I love Nextbus.com...

For some reason, Transit doesn't have DC bus routes on it (wtf), so there is also Mango Transit.

Bullza2o

How is everyone's experience taking moving pictures at night? I've tested taking pictures while inside a car and everything is blurry and too bright.
my old focus took great moving shots, which is probably due to a faster shutter?

zedge

Good battery life on my new one too. Woot

wp_ss_20121130_0001.jpg

Just got it, red one. Typing is so much faster and sensitive, don't have to resort to Swype for the first time!

I even have a red case that you cant tell when the phone ends and the case starts ;)

Commodore

Cross post from the Windows Phone OT3 thread because the app is only available on the 820 and 920.

Haha! Up late at night due to a crying baby and see this new PhotoBeamer app by Nokia on my twitter feed. Track it down in the store via my phone, go to my computer, load up photobeamer.com and scan the QR code and then some voodoo shit happens and suddenly I need to show it off to someone. Its was a total keanu reeves whoa moment. You guys are the closest thing I have at 4 in the morning. I'm now scrolling through my photo album on my phone, and seeing it on my computer in real time. Nuts! Nokia's Scalado acquisition might yield some cool stuff, case in point.

Magic picture show!

Ragus

Banned
2 random shutdowns yesterday.
1 random shutdown today.

I might set up an alarm clock on my DSi, as I'm scared, that one day, the phone will turn itself off and won't wake me up.

Microsoft, fix this shit.

Aaaaaand, it turned itself off while I was sleeping.

Pathetic.

thirty

Banned
got my playup 360 speaker last night. i tried it out for the first time. nfc initially worked, just tap and there's a pop up that asks you if you'd like to pair. i then tried to leave bluetooth on then nfc tap and got mixed results. i'd get the pairing "tone" from the speaker but then music wouldn't play through the speaker, i went into the menu and had to manually bluetooth pair the device. my phone seemed to work with xbox music but when i'd use nokia music, my phone would freeze up, then even soft reset. hmmm, i seem to get no issues when i nfc pair with bluetooth off, then acknowledge the pop up to pair. this is just with the speaker unit right out of the box, i'm going to fully charge the device before i make any judgements. so far though, it's a good sounding device. it can fill a bedroom, maybe not a larger room but it's definitely better than the small jambox that's been so popular.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Two mornings in a row I have had to reboot my phone. I can go through the start screen, but can't launch apps. Only seems to do it after long periods of inactivity. Tonight I will leave it on the charger.

got my playup 360 speaker last night. i tried it out for the first time. nfc initially worked, just tap and there's a pop up that asks you if you'd like to pair. i then tried to leave bluetooth on then nfc tap and got mixed results. i'd get the pairing "tone" from the speaker but then music wouldn't play through the speaker, i went into the menu and had to manually bluetooth pair the device. my phone seemed to work with xbox music but when i'd use nokia music, my phone would freeze up, then even soft reset. hmmm, i seem to get no issues when i nfc pair with bluetooth off, then acknowledge the pop up to pair. this is just with the speaker unit right out of the box, i'm going to fully charge the device before i make any judgements. so far though, it's a good sounding device. it can fill a bedroom, maybe not a larger room but it's definitely better than the small jambox that's been so popular.

This sound like Bluetooth bug with my car. It pair fine but when trying use the car mic to transmit, the phone would reboot. I find it ironic that the bug is present on Nokia own accessories. Did they really not test the phone at all? So much for beta test being over. : /

Ragus

Banned
Sounds like an issue totally different from the normal reboot one. I'd swap out the device...

Some say that it's a Skype bug. I deleted it and I will see if this helps.

If not, then I will exchange It, but I'd like to avoid it.

thirty

Banned
This sound like Bluetooth bug with my car. It pair fine but when trying use the car mic to transmit, the phone would reboot. I find it ironic that the bug is present on Nokia own accessories. Did they really not test the phone at all? So much for beta test being over. : /
I was hoping that wouldn't be the case and that the issue was due to the speaker not having a charge. Having Bluetooth off, NFC tap, and accepting the pair isn't too bad though. I'd still like to see Nokia rectify this ASAP. Would be nice if I could just leave Bluetooth on and tap to pair instantly without having my phone reset.

in positive news, the 920's WiFi and Bluetooth drain on the battery is very minimal and a big leap over phones just released 2 yrs ago.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

This isn't a Nokia bug, it's a Windows Phone bug that somehow made it into Apollo. My Samsung Focus S would occasionally reboot when connecting to my car bluetooth, but I never could pin down exactly what caused it, it was pretty random and rare enough that I ignored it. It's already happened once with my 920 as well. It still is pretty random, I can make and complete calls and voice commands, but sometimes when it initially connects, the phone reboots. Rare for me but still pathetic.

This isn't a Nokia bug, it's a Windows Phone bug that somehow made it into Apollo. My Samsung Focus S would occasionally reboot when connecting to my car bluetooth, but I never could pin down exactly what caused it, it was pretty random and rare enough that I ignored it. It's already happened once with my 920 as well. It still is pretty random, I can make and complete calls and voice commands, but sometimes when it initially connects, the phone reboots. Rare for me but still pathetic.
I can duplicate it every time with my phone and car (infinity m35). I never have problem with Titan or 900. It would sometime loose connection but never reboot the phone. Good thing that my car Bluetooth is crappy anyway.

Raistlin

i wonder if the new PlayUp speaker has this issue? anyone have it?

The Nokia Play 360 seems like the better deal. I just got mine yesterday and am seriously impressed with it. I'll post some details tomorrow.

I haven't had the problems you've been having. As a matter of fact, I just order a second cyan one (used in 'like new' condition from amazon warehouse for $125).

Dead

well not really...yet
Dropped my phone today. Bounced three times on a counter, then fell on a tiled floor from about 4 feet.

Not a single scratch, scuff, or anything.

SeanR1221

Here's a new one. Woke up early today and picked my phone up off the wireless charger. It was really hot. Like, hotter than when the phone gets hot above the camera when playing a game. Not only that, it wasn't fully charged. Really weird. I came back to it 20 minutes later, and it was still warm despite being off the charger.

Pachimari

Ugh, I have an urge to unpack the Lumia 800 I bought 2 days ago, yet I don't know what to use it for when I have an iPhone 5 other than as a back up. The Lumia design and user interface is just so sexy.

maeh2k

Here's a new one. Woke up early today and picked my phone up off the wireless charger. It was really hot. Like, hotter than when the phone gets hot above the camera when playing a game. Not only that, it wasn't fully charged. Really weird. I came back to it 20 minutes later, and it was still warm despite being off the charger.

Any idea what's running that could cause this? Does it show the GPS symbol (e.g. from Drive running in the background)? Does it do the infinite synch loop (from Skype being installed)?

PG2G

Wow, I didn't even have to run my battery down. It just died while sitting here on standby.

Weird.

Sounds like some weird software bug that causes the CPU to kick into full gear. It probably would have started behaving normally with a reset

Top Bottom