• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

PG2G

So can you change the resolution of the photos youre taking? Should be such an obvious thing, but I don't see it.

No. Again, how are you transferring the files off? Certain methods might (text message for example) will likely result in resized images.

No. Again, how are you transferring the files off? Certain methods might (text message for example) will likely result in resized images.

Wasn't using my computer before, just sharing directly to skydrive or facebook. Now as I'm transferring to my PC, it's the real size. Made a really cool cinemagraph from my mom's birthday that'll give her Ring-like creeps ;)

Still wish it gave you the option of changing resolutions, maybe I'm spoiled from previous samsung and htc phones.

hwalker84

Wasn't using my computer before, just sharing directly to skydrive or facebook. Now as I'm transferring to my PC, it's the real size. Made a really cool cinemagraph from my mom's birthday that'll give her Ring-like creeps ;)

Still wish it gave you the option of changing resolutions, maybe I'm spoiled from previous samsung and htc phones.

Maybe if you're more descriptive with your issue we could answer you.

iPhone 5 user here, been invested in iOS since the original iPhone. Pretty much staying with Apple forever as my primary phone.

Picked up a 920 just for kicks, to use as an MP3 player at the gym and with my car infotainment system. Really nice UI/UX so far. No crashes. Good battery life (although admittedly not using it as a phone so YMMV).

Was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a pouch or something to store it, going to tuck it away in a stash box in my car so want some sort of covering around it.

Raistlin

iPhone 5 user here, been invested in iOS since the original iPhone. Pretty much staying with Apple forever as my primary phone.

Picked up a 920 just for kicks, to use as an MP3 player at the gym and with my car infotainment system. Really nice UI/UX so far. No crashes. Good battery life (although admittedly not using it as a phone so YMMV).

Was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a pouch or something to store it, going to tuck it away in a stash box in my car so want some sort of covering around it.
BUILT makes some pretty cool phone, eReader, and Tablet sleeves.

Just get one that looks cool and is big enough.

Oh man this phone cracks me up. Any time I place it face down on a flat surface it will slowly slowly slide off just when I'm not looking. Damn thing won't stay still.

Razdek

Banned
Oh man this phone cracks me up. Any time I place it face down on a flat surface it will slowly slowly slide off just when I'm not looking. Damn thing won't stay still.

I gotta commend you for sticking with the phone even with all the issues you've had. You're definitely one hardcore WP8 fan as the poor battery was enough to have me return mine and I don't think I would have the patience to deal with more than that.

usctrojan

I gotta commend you for sticking with the phone even with all the issues you've had. You're definitely one hardcore WP8 fan as the poor battery was enough to have me return mine and I don't think I would have the patience to deal with more than that.

On a related note: I'm being patient with mine only because of wp8 (I love it) combined with there being no other wp8 handset I have any interest in. There are a lot of issues with the 920 even if some people have perfect units. I have seen several and noticed several discrepancies with the build. Granted, I decided to keep mine with the bezel backlight bleed and loose buttons because I rather have these problems than see worse.

The second MS releases a proper first party phone, I am done with the lumia.

Well the sliding is just funny and more of an issue with my desk, which apparently isn't level. Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining too much, but at least with the battery I'm mostly trying to hear experiences from other people so I can figure out whether or not it's worth swapping this phone out for a (third) 920, or whether I should just give up and hope a future update helps with battery life. Or switch to something else. But the 920 itself is sexy as all hell and I do really like WP8.

thirty

Banned
and it uses your downloaded maps.

btw, Nokia Drive and Transit are still great but Nokia Maps was lacking so much directory info. It was exactly like using a GPS device from yesteryear.

edit: Drive+, in its current form, is shit but at least true turn by turn is in there unlike Bing.

hwalker84

and it uses your downloaded maps.

btw, Nokia Drive and Transit are still great but Nokia Maps was lacking so much directory info. It was exactly like using a GPS device from yesteryear.

edit: Drive+, in its current form, is shit but at least true turn by turn is in there unlike Bing.

Yeah Drive + needs to be out of beta quick. It was all messed up for me Saturday where I had to reboot the phone. All the other map options could lock on to my location.

hwalker84

So Bing maps are better than nokia ones?

So it goes like this.

Bing and Nokia Maps data are provided by Nokia
They have different UI's
Whatever the search logic MS and Nokia use for the same data are different
IMO Bing is far superior
Bing is also integrated at an OS level but is hidden in Nokia phones

Ragus

Banned
So it goes like this.

They have different UI's
IMO Bing is far superior

Welp, time to launch marketplace. Thanks.

ElNino

So it goes like this.

They have different UI's
IMO Bing is far superior
It was my understanding as well that Nokia provides the map data, but I've found that Bing and Nokia maps do not provide the same traffic data... as Bing maps has better traffic coverage for me, in WP7.5 at least.

PG2G

So it goes like this.

They have different UI's
IMO Bing is far superior

The mapping data is the same, the POI (points of interest database) are not the same. Hopefully Nokia can step their game up quickly in that regard. It is semi understandable since they have had negligible marketshare in the states up until recently, but they still need to fix it.

I pinged them about it on Twitter to see if there was a way for users to submit info and they said they'd be releasing a tool soon. We'll see

PG2G

It was my understanding as well that Nokia provides the map data, but I've found that Bing and Nokia maps do not provide the same traffic data... as Bing maps has better traffic coverage for me, in WP7.5 at least.

It is weird because Bing is supposed to be using Nokia traffic info (I just read a Nokia Conversations post from 5/2012 that said it) but the difference is beyond noticeable.

thirty

Banned
bing maps is also navigating better than nokia drive+ at the moment. really, the only thing nokia has over bing is turn by turn and the ability to download maps.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
1 day 1 hour since my last charge and 29% left. That's with light to moderate use. Can't complain about that. Hopefully it continues.

Ragus

Banned
I've restored the phone, and now it's been more than 24 hours without any reboot/shut down. Before that, I had 2/3 a day.

I hope it will stay that way.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, anyone try Mush on the 920? I'm having some issues with the accelerometer, I have to tilt the phone left for the character to stand still.

I used a program to measure the tilt levels and compared to a friends whose tilt levels seemed way more normal. The game worked fine on that phone too :\.

Also got that weird "something is lose on the inside" problem. Maybe they're related?

Anyone got any possible fixes? I remember the Wiimote could be re-aligned by slapping it on the backside

Edit: Did some more tests and yeah, my accelerometer definitely has a tilt that should not be there. But hey, at least this gives me a good reason to exchange the phone and hopefully get one that doesn't have loose parts on the inside :). Hope they have yellow replacements ;(

Satchel

Banned
Battery life has been far better the last few days. Maybe it needed to be broken in.

somehow got fucking scratches on the screen. Wtf? I've been treating this thing like its the mist fragile phone ever.

kazinova

Strange problem alert:

My Lumia thinks that my face is against the screen at all times. When I'm making a phone call I can't get the screen to come on to switch to speakerphone, dial numbers, etc.

This is a big problem, a reset has not fixed it, is there something anyone else has done to fix this or should I swap out assuming its a defect in the proximity sensor?

Any advice?

PG2G

I don't know where the proximity sensor is, but do you have a case? Maybe it could be blocking it? Just a guess

Strange problem alert:

My Lumia thinks that my face is against the screen at all times. When I'm making a phone call I can't get the screen to come on to switch to speakerphone, dial numbers, etc.

This is a big problem, a reset has not fixed it, is there something anyone else has done to fix this or should I swap out assuming its a defect in the proximity sensor?

Any advice?

Yep. Seen this before. Blow really hard on the edge of the glass just above the Nokia logo. If that doesn't work spray compressed air into the speaker hole, or the headphone jack.

kazinova

Yep. Seen this before. Blow really hard on the edge of the glass just above the Nokia logo. If that doesn't work spray compressed air into the speaker hole, or the headphone jack.

Damn, son, that fixed the shit out of that! Thanks, can't believe I didn't think of that!

Wow, my phone also spontaneously developed this problem today too, and when I took it to the store the guy said he'd heard of it, that it was a hardware fault, and that it needed to be replaced. So now I'm on my 3rd 920. Eh, I was thinking about replacing it and seeing if I would have better battery luck anyway.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, anyone try Mush on the 920? I'm having some issues with the accelerometer, I have to tilt the phone left for the character to stand still.

I used a program to measure the tilt levels and compared to a friends whose tilt levels seemed way more normal. The game worked fine on that phone too :\.

Also got that weird "something is lose on the inside" problem. Maybe they're related?

Anyone got any possible fixes? I remember the Wiimote could be re-aligned by slapping it on the backside

Edit: Did some more tests and yeah, my accelerometer definitely has a tilt that should not be there. But hey, at least this gives me a good reason to exchange the phone and hopefully get one that doesn't have loose parts on the inside :). Hope they have yellow replacements ;(

Heh, today it works just fine. Though I made sure the phone was pretty level when I charged it during the night, thought that perhaps prolonged tilted positions might fuck it up? That or it's the cold :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nokia released a fantastic little app to edit and turn any song in your music collection (that you own) into a ringtone. Get it in the Nokia Collection part of the app store. Its called Ringtone Maker.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nokia released a fantastic little app to edit and turn any song in your music collection (that you own) into a ringtone. Get it in the Nokia Collection part of the app store. Its called Ringtone Maker.

Thank the lords, having to put any song you want in the ringtone folder was a chore.

PG2G

Is it me or can you can't go beyond the 30 second point in the song? No way to move the start/stop points beyond that?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What country? The app is called EasyRing & Music.

Oh, I thought it came pre-installed on the phone. Yeah I can find it just fine, it costs money though so the Nokia app is still preferable :p. I'm cheap!

Also, another question. How come Crimson Dragon: SS isn't available on the 920? Not like it doesn't meet the requirements being well over the minimum specs on the WP7 phones. I'd very much like to try it out, would a manual install work?

Edit: Aha, it doesn't work on WP8, odd, consdering a lot of other WP7 apps work fine. But hey, it's Microsoft and backwards comptability. Not like ORTA worked on 360s in Europe either, so this would be in line I s'pose ;(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is it me or can you can't go beyond the 30 second point in the song? No way to move the start/stop points beyond that?

you need more than 30 seconds? How long does the phone ring before voicemail picks up? Can that be changed?

edit, I think I misunderstood your question. You can swipe below the bar to select another 30 second part of the song. If its a really short song though, it may give you a bit of trouble to select the end part.

thirty

Banned
So who had a second PlayUp 360 speaker and can comment on the stereo sound? I love my single PlayUp 360, especially for $99, but I'm getting single driver mono sound. Exactly as what I expected but I'm thinking I want more. Been eyeing TDK's line of portables but they start at $199 and can go up to $399 for their Qi enabled model.

PG2G

you need more than 30 seconds? How long does the phone ring before voicemail picks up? Can that be changed?

edit, I think I misunderstood your question. You can swipe below the bar to select another 30 second part of the song. If its a really short song though, it may give you a bit of trouble to select the end part.

Ah, I was swiping the wrong way lol. Thanks

Top Bottom