• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

My cyan 920 has battery problem. The very first few weeks the phone worked perfectly fine with all kind of apps running in the background. It lasted more than a day after heavily used. Then I have updated software MS put out in this pass few weeks and everything got a lot worse. My phone barely lasts 5 hours with nothing running in the background. In fact, the battery drains from 77 to 75% while I'm typing this comment! This is horrible

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My cyan 920 has battery problem. The very first few weeks the phone worked perfectly fine with all kind of apps running in the background. It lasted more than a day after heavily used. Then I have updated software MS put out in this pass few weeks and everything got a lot worse. My phone barely lasts 5 hours with nothing running in the background. In fact, the battery drains from 77 to 75% while I'm typing this comment! This is horrible

What software?

jaypah

So not only did we get our Yellow 920s for $40 because of the shipping problems with the Yellows, but 2 days after we received our free black wireless chargers we got 2 free Yellow wireless chargers in the mail. AT&T handled this shit like champs!

Another thing I notice is, in the first few weeks it took at least 4 hours to fully charge my phone but now it takes less than 2 hours. Is it possible that somehow the battery got shitty?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So I installed the update for the Maps app and my phone crashed and restarted and now it's stuck/frozen on the Nokia startup screen? Do I have any option but to wait for it to run out of battery and just hope it turns on afterwards? :/ There's no physical hard reset.

hwalker84

So I installed the update for the Maps app and my phone crashed and restarted and now it's stuck/frozen on the Nokia startup screen? Do I have any option but to wait for it to run out of battery and just hope it turns on afterwards? :/ There's no physical hard reset.

There is a physical soft reset. Hold the Volume Down + Power Button

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Holy, what. Phone just went "Super low battery pls charge". Plug it in. Suddenly it says I have 20% left. Which would make much much more sense when thinking about it.

I hope the wonky battery levels are fixed in an update. Also haven't had a single crash since I got the phone last wednesday. Only apps that semi-crash (Entire screen is black in game and out of game). But even then you just have to hold back and then everything displays properly again.

Edit: Well shit. My accelerometer is giving wrong readings again :|. Could it be due to cold? It's around -18 degrees out. Since

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So after the reset the phone thinks the time is 6am on September 1st even after turning on automatic clock? Also Nextgen and GMail wont sync with Google, it says I need to set the correct time.

Should I do a factory restore?

thirty

Banned
That's shockingly bad. You would have thought they would allow you to share it.

It would be perfect for sharing to the imgur app.
imgur has a 2mb limit, my cinemagraphs average around 8mb. If I wanna use imgur, I can but have to severely edit my GIF and limit animations. The imgur mobile app though cannot upload gifs, it converts them to jpg. I'm pretty sure if we message the developer, they'll update the app and allow GIF uploads, as long as they're below the 2mb limit.

senahorse

Is it standard for the case to creak on a 920. As in if you squeeze the phone (not hard) and push in, in certain places you get a creaking sound. I ask as my gf's doesn't but mine seems to, is this common or something I should return it for?

zedge

Is it standard for the case to creak on a 920. As in if you squeeze the phone (not hard) and push in, in certain places you get a creaking sound. I ask as my gf's doesn't but mine seems to, is this common or something I should return it for?
Mine did this. Buttons were wiggly too. Had it swapped.

Anyone know if there are any holsters for the 920 out yet? I remember that Seidio had a really nice one for the 900, but sadly that's not compatible.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
OK, I think it bricked. The time refused to update all night and the data connection wasn't working. I did a factory reset and it's been sitting at the cogs spinning screen for ~5 minutes now. I guess I'll take it to the store tomorrow. Annoying.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nope. I reset it from the cogs spinning screen (it was sat there for 10 minutes -- it was probably a bad idea but it seemed pretty well dead to me) and now it wont boot. Bricked. Arse.

The only problem is I can't turn the thing off. It's sat at the NOKIA screen.

Razdek

Banned
Nope. I reset it from the cogs spinning screen (it was sat there for 10 minutes -- it was probably a bad idea but it seemed pretty well dead to me) and now it wont boot. Bricked. Arse.

The only problem is I can't turn the thing off. It's sat at the NOKIA screen.

That happened to me and it's bricked. You can try doing the tutorial on wpcentral or just take it back. I chose he latter.

Anyone know if there are any holsters for the 920 out yet? I remember that Seidio had a really nice one for the 900, but sadly that's not compatible.

There's one from Otter Box but it make the big ass phone even bigger. I just used my naked and stuff it inside one of those Driod Razr holster by Cellet. It doesn't quite fit though so if you want better protection that Otter Box seems to be the only game in town.

Satchel

Banned
So my week old Lumia 920 died again for the second time. Except this time it stayed dead.

swapped it for a new one today. Battery seems far better on this new one. Doesn't seem to get as hot either.

fingers crossed.

GCX

Sooo Lumia 620 with WP8 just got announced:

ibrXStj6zK9ur1.jpg

i6HJ3qqunE0iO.jpg

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/12/05/the-family-is-growing-nokia-lumia-620/

thirty

Banned
Cheap, feature rich with things like NFC and FFC that you don't find in budget phones. The 620 should take the world by storm. Seriously, the 620 along with the 8S are incredible for their prices.

PG2G

So, what is the price difference between the Lumia 620 and the Lumia 5XX? Does it really make sense to keep WP7.8 devices around at this point, or is there still a significant price difference?

kharma45

Just got a tweet from Nokia offering me a Lumia 920 to trial for 2 weeks after I tweeted about cancelling my Nexus 4 order, glad to see them actively engaging on Twitter.

maeh2k

So, what is the price difference between the Lumia 620 and the Lumia 5XX? Does it really make sense to keep WP7.8 devices around at this point, or is there still a significant price difference?

Right now the 5xx is only meant for certain markets and isn't sold in most places afaik. There should still be a significant price difference.

I'm suddenly getting some great battery life out of my Lumia. Before I was getting 10 hours... Now I'm getting over a day with 30% or less battery life left. Even now I'm sitting at 23%, 4 hours remaining, and the last time I charged was 1 Day and 2 Hours ago. All of this with heavy app, game and internet usage.

There's one from Otter Box but it make the big ass phone even bigger. I just used my naked and stuff it inside one of those Driod Razr holster by Cellet. It doesn't quite fit though so if you want better protection that Otter Box seems to be the only game in town.
Hmm, it looks interesting; but it looks like it would make it wayyy to big. *sigh* I guess I'll go and beg Seidio to update the 900 one.

I'll keep it in mind though, Thanks :)

I already saw the new Youtube UI since yesterday, but now I realize it's only taking like 2/5 of the space on the left, what the heck?
Oddly enough its been switching back and fourth for me, it'll go 25 videos on the old UI, then go one video on the new UI, then back to the old one. Repeat.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My wireless charger and NFC-enabled play 360 speakers came in. I feel like I'm living in the future. Now all I need is that jbl radio that wirelessly charges the phone, in cyan, and my geeky cyan ecosystem is complete.

Update on my AT&T Lumia 920 saga:

So surprise surprise I was not sent the Lumia 920 that eComm at AT&T promised me was in stock and was being overnighted to me. In fact just got off the phone and found out that the order was updated yesterday as a backorder with a new confirmation #. And as a bonus the person who put in the new order took away the overnight shipping and I was downgraded to standard shipping. Which really means nothing because they have no phones to ship to me anyway.

So now I have placed my order for a yellow Lumia 920 over a month ago, with no ETA on when I will ever be shipped the phone. I was told that pretty much all Nokia phones are back ordered and that I am high on the list. As encouragement she told me that the backorder list at least isn't thousands long anymore.

Sorry you have such a horrible experience getting phone. I hope this strategy of shortage doesn't come back to bite them in the ass. Nokia stock is almost $4.00 today.

Top Bottom