• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Razdek

Banned
God fucking damnit. Seriously, fuck this phone and fuck nokia. I tried everything to prevent the phone from freezing - I disabled every god damn opiton, I uninstalled Skype, facebook, everything. I switched 3g/4g to off, and still this fucking phone freezes on me every 10-12 hours.

I called Nokia and I was informed, that I can't just go to them and switch the phone to a working one. They have to check if it can be repaired, which can take at least one week, and later if they can't, the send this phone to main repair service, which also fucking checks if the phone can be fixed, and if not, they exchange the interior parts. We are taling about 3 weeks of waiting.

I am so mad right now, that it isn't even funny. I just can only fucking hope, that this some kind of a software bug, that those motherfucker responsible for WP8 can fix with a patch.

If not, then fuck this phone, I'm going back to iPhone. I paid the equivalent of 792 us dollars just to have this phone, and it acts, like a fucking Benq Siemens or shit like from early 2000's.

That sucks to hear that, I'm waiting till all the issues are resolved before jumping back in. How much more to you think you can take?

Yep, here's a clearer shot:

The 920 is certainly not indestructible. You just need unbelievably bad luck so it lands at a weird angle.
Ouch. Don't you have all Cyan stuff? Yellow looks nice with it, but I would hold out for cyan. Try Microsoft store, last time I was there they have Cyan in stock.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ouch. Don't you have all Cyan stuff? Yellow looks nice with it, but I would hold out for cyan. Try Microsoft store, last time I was there they have Cyan in stock.

I'd have to hold out for two weeks when I'm in Chicago. And then after all that they may not have any. I'll see, if my phone sells for a decent amount on Ebay I'll have some flexibility.

Ragus

Banned
My god, you really were unlucky with that drop. I mean, there are videos on YT, where 920 survives a fucking car running over it.

I'd have to hold out for two weeks when I'm in Chicago. And then after all that they may not have any. I'll see, if my phone sells for a decent amount on Ebay I'll have some flexibility.

You don't think the screen can be repair? May be try Nokia ... I would be crush. I love my little red brick.

Also sorry for those of you with the problem, I am thinking it's software related as problems are not limit to just Lumia. Windows Phone 8 just wasn't done on time and just wasn't fully tested. I have weird glitch with Bluetooth along and found another glitch with the podcast where the podcast would cause the phone volume to bug out.

You know they better push out Portico to all the phone and not let At&t hold it back because the software is not done. Xbox Music & Video implementation is just plain crap.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You don't think the screen can be repair? May be try Nokia ... I would be crush. I love my little red brick.

I suppose this can be helpful to anyone as unlucky as me: Nokia referred me to a third party repair shop. Their estimate is $185, which is reasonable I suppose if they use genuine Nokia parts and if they have the screens in stock. Those two variables are what has me worried. The potential to be without the phone for an extended period of time and/or to get an inferior screen is giving me pause. I'll get on the phone with them tomorrow and ask them some questions. Given the fall, I may be better off just selling off my phone and then buying a new one and taking a hit on the difference. The only problem with that approach is that yellow and cyan aren't available online. I'll give the MS store a call in Chicago and see what their in-stock colors are.

DD-11

On my third 920, and it is actually getting significantly better battery life than the first two. The first full charge lasted 13 hours with regular use, which would have killed either of the first two phones after 6 or 7 hours. So who knows what could happen with a new phone!

How much do you guys use your phone? I'm getting about 3 days and 10 hours on average. I text, do some light browsing a few phone calls a week. Definitely not a power user, but, for reference, my old LG Optimus 7 barely lasted a day.

The Red and Yellow ones look absolutely fantastic in person. Pictures don't do them justice at all. Same with the red 8x. Mine is soooo pretty :).

The Red and Yellow ones look absolutely fantastic in person. Pictures don't do them justice at all. Same with the red 8x. Mine is soooo pretty :).
I think they look nice in picture too but I am biased. :)

y4TxX.jpg

How much do you guys use your phone? I'm getting about 3 days and 10 hours on average. I text, do some light browsing a few phone calls a week. Definitely not a power user, but, for reference, my old LG Optimus 7 barely lasted a day.

Hard to say. Probably between bus rides, lunch break, and relaxing on the couch, 90-120 minutes of internet browsing a day, plus some games (not that many compelling games on WP8 so not that much) and music through bluetooth. My biggest battery drain is probably just fiddling with the phone in class, when there's usually about 1 bar of 3G or 4G in the big lecture halls.

Hard to say. Probably between bus rides, lunch break, and relaxing on the couch, 90-120 minutes of internet browsing a day, plus some games (not that many compelling games on WP8 so not that much) and music through bluetooth. My biggest battery drain is probably just fiddling with the phone in class, when there's usually about 1 bar of 3G or 4G in the big lecture halls.

I am pretty sure that 1 bar in the lecture hall is going to murder your phone. At one corner of my house we could barely get a bar or two and that where I was sitting and my battery went from full to 80 in couple hours with the phone barely being use.

I get anywhere from 10 hours to 20 Hours with really heavy usage

Haklong

Guys I just noticed a weird bug I'm getting that wasn't present in Windows Phone 7.5. Go to the Photos "app" and then go to albums. Choose a large album that is located on your Skydrive or Facebook. When I do this it will not load all of the images present on that album. I thought that maybe the Facebook app wouldn't have this problem but it does the same thing. I did not have this problem on my Lumia 900. Any of you experiencing this also?

Guys I just noticed a weird bug I'm getting that wasn't present in Windows Phone 7.5. Go to the Photos "app" and then go to albums. Choose a large album that is located on your Skydrive or Facebook. When I do this it will not load all of the images present on that album. I thought that maybe the Facebook app wouldn't have this problem but it does the same thing. I did not have this problem on my Lumia 900. Any of you experiencing this also?

Few people have reported this. I haven't notice it myself.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So this morning when I turned on my phone and went to say the settings it would locked up again and is now fine after a soft reset. Seems like it does this after a long period of inactivity. I had data on and it was not plugged in. The battery didn't drain much.

I wonder if this is software or a hardware issue. I could live with it for now if I new it was software. Maybe I will turn the data off tonight and see what happens.

Might try a full reset as well.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...mited-to/7a013224-a4e3-4e89-a687-6108c30cd5d1

??

MCD

First impressions:

Not heavy...these reviewers were complaining? LOL

Downloading my old apps...FUCK THIS THING IS HEAVY AND SO HOT/WARM

Battery dead (my room is pretty isolated and with 3G on, battery died pretty fast). Gonna recharge it till it's full so it gets calibrated. Wireless charging is truly the next BIG thing.

I wish Lumia 820 was HD because the weight/shape is perfect to me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Did a factory reset. See if I still get lockups after a long period of time. One thing that has changed is that music I add from my Zune/Xbox Pass is working now.

MCD

Lol. Seems like it's only when service is bad or when taking camera shots.

Phone is gorgeous BTW. I don't want to get a cover for it but shit is slippery.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Have you said what the hell happened to do that to your Cyan unicorn (that you murdered)?

It was on the sofa. My 1yr old son either grabbed it or pulled the sofa cover. Either way, the phone hit ceramic tile screen-first. I had taken the cover off at my mom's house and forgot it there.

Get and use a cover. Don't be me.

scently

Woohoo. Mine has finally shipped from clove. Hopefully I will be getting it, along with my Windows 8 laptop/tablet hybrid early next week. Next week is going to be gadgetry awesomeness for me.

If you do get a case avoid the Speck case. For one it costs $40 (not what I paid) and two it makes the phone more slippery than it already is.

I also purchased a cheap rock sand case from eBay which I am waiting for. Takes forever.

ElfArmy177

Agree.. I work as an RN so scub pocket plus slippery phone and leaning over to do things does not equal awesome. Need a case to cause some traction haha, keeps my phone from moving around if I gotta run down the hall for an emergency or something.

FeD.nL

Guys I got a quick question. My dad is in the US now and I really love the look of the Lumia 920 but can I use it in Europe? I can't find a solid answer on the net.

Thanks in advance.

ElfArmy177

Anyone else having issues with WiFi being very slow at downloading? Sometimes when I load the games store, it says "loading" forever and never actually loads anything or gives me an error or downloading an app takes like 5 minutes for a 2mb download...

Happens on my wifi an others. I tried returning it to ATT but they said there was nothing wrong with it cause it worked fine on their wifi for the 20 seconds I tested it... which I think is bullshit.

Anyone else having issues with WiFi being very slow at downloading? Sometimes when I load the games store, it says "loading" forever and never actually loads anything or gives me an error or downloading an app takes like 5 minutes for a 2mb download...

Happens on my wifi an others. I tried returning it to ATT but they said there was nothing wrong with it cause it worked fine on their wifi for the 20 seconds I tested it... which I think is bullshit.

Maybe the problem is with Microsoft store? The marketplace have been shitty lately, I guess with extra load from Windows 8 and RT.

FeD.nL

Isnt there a Lumia 920 global? I may be very wrong...

Yes there is but the problem my provider in the netherlands only has the white color and I really like the red one. Plus it's cheaper to get the device in the US.

Or do you mean a specific model thats useable around the world?

ElfArmy177

Yes there is but the problem my provider in the netherlands only has the white color and I really like the red one. Plus it's cheaper to get the device in the US.

Or do you mean a specific model thats useable around the world?

nope your correct. Get a red candy case??? Hope you find something, its a great phone!

Top Bottom