• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

I can't believe that 3.8" was considered big once.

azcCC.png

Q5bBB.jpg

PaaWA.jpg

PzLWM.jpg

Hands-on: http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2012/...heerful-windows-phone-8-device-for-non-geeks/

So who had a second PlayUp 360 speaker and can comment on the stereo sound? I love my single PlayUp 360, especially for $99, but I'm getting single driver mono sound. Exactly as what I expected but I'm thinking I want more. Been eyeing TDK's line of portables but they start at $199 and can go up to $399 for their Qi enabled model.

You got the Play Up and not the old Play 360 for $99? When was this sale and where? So far I have not seen Play Up any where.

They did put the Play 360 for sale at $119.00 and the Power UP (charging plate JBL one) for $149.99 however the Power UP is out of stock. But for 50% off, I just put in order and they can ship to me whenever.

Edit: Look like Amazon mix up the Power Up with Play Up so order at your own risk.

Satchel

Banned
I have a feeling the reboot/brick issue relates to 4G.

Both times my first 920 bricked, 4G was on. For a week it was 3G, all good.

last night, i turned 4G in on my replacement unit, yep you guessed it, it died temporarily. I shit bricks. Git it back on, set to 3G only. Been all good.

unless my Sim isn't strong enough to handle 4G? That doesn't really make sense though.

Pachimari

Is it still worth having a Lumia 800?
I got it on sale and will use it as a backup phone for iPhone 5, so I won't get one of those expensive Lumia phones. :)

I made the switch from iPhone 5 to the Lumia 920 today. This a very different OS and will take some getting used to. I'd really like to know how to get some ringtones on there a little more simply :(

I made the switch from iPhone 5 to the Lumia 920 today. This a very different OS and will take some getting used to. I'd really like to know how to get some ringtones on there a little more simply :(

There's an app by nokia call Ringtone Maker that you can use your songs to make ringtones. Go give that a spin ^__^)b

There's an app by MS called Insider that has new ringtones every week or so. Some are hit or miss. Otherwise, just search the Store for "ringtones" and you can probably find some apps to download them from.

thirty

Banned
You got the Play Up and not the old Play 360 for $99? When was this sale and where? So far I have not seen Play Up any where.

They did put the Play 360 for sale at $119.00 and the Power UP (charging plate JBL one) for $149.99 however the Power UP is out of stock. But for 50% off, I just put in order and they can ship to me whenever.

Edit: Look like Amazon mix up the Power Up with Play Up so order at your own risk.
i got the older 360 one but i'm wanting more, i'm not happy with a single driver. then again, i like the size of this 360 as i can travel with it.

i got the older 360 one but i'm wanting more, i'm not happy with a single driver. then again, i like the size of this 360 as i can travel with it.
Amazon has it for $119, not as good as Blackfriday sale but still decent. I am thinking about the Play Up one as it will fit into my car cup holder.

maeh2k

When will Whatsapp make its way back to the 920???

I understand WP8 is a bit short on apps but whats the deal with Whatsapp??

At first the Windows Phone 7 version was available on Windows Phone 8, but apparently it had issues for some people. Now it seems they removed it and are working on a new, faster version specifically for Windows Phone 8.
Now clear how fast they can release it.

At first the Windows Phone 7 version was available on Windows Phone 8, but apparently it had issues for some people. Now it seems they removed it and are working on a new, faster version specifically for Windows Phone 8.
Now clear how fast they can release it.

They've been working on a WP8 version for a while now.

OK so I'm not sure what I did but I let this phone charge to 100% before I went to sleep last night, trying to mess with it now and I'm getting no response from the phone. Nothing on the screen and I'm pressing everything I possibly can.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
There's worse backlight bleeding along the bottom edge of my new Lumia 920 than the old one. I hope it doesn't become too distracting. I have to say the build quality of these things is a little disappointing after using iDevices for so long.

Ragus

Banned
God fucking damnit. Seriously, fuck this phone and fuck nokia. I tried everything to prevent the phone from freezing - I disabled every god damn opiton, I uninstalled Skype, facebook, everything. I switched 3g/4g to off, and still this fucking phone freezes on me every 10-12 hours.

I called Nokia and I was informed, that I can't just go to them and switch the phone to a working one. They have to check if it can be repaired, which can take at least one week, and later if they can't, the send this phone to main repair service, which also fucking checks if the phone can be fixed, and if not, they exchange the interior parts. We are taling about 3 weeks of waiting.

I am so mad right now, that it isn't even funny. I just can only fucking hope, that this some kind of a software bug, that those motherfucker responsible for WP8 can fix with a patch.

If not, then fuck this phone, I'm going back to iPhone. I paid the equivalent of 792 us dollars just to have this phone, and it acts, like a fucking Benq Siemens or shit like from early 2000's.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This morning I had to do a soft reset. I left the and went into settings to turn of WiFi and it took several seconds and kicked me back to start screen. Tried a few more times and it would freeze. Ended up doing a soft reset and it is fine. Doesn't seem a serious as Ragus but it still sucks. Wish I new if it was the hardware or software causing the problem.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Its gotta be software, right? My wife's 900 doesn't have these reboot problems. I know if you go to the various phone threads you'll find problems, but the issues in this thread are kinda scary. My phone works perfectly fine, though *knocks on wood*

Ragus

Banned
I'm afraid that this is hardware in my situation, but as I said - I'm still waiting for that december patch fix for 920 to be sure.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm done with this phone!!!!!!!!!!

Took 2 weeks just to get it up and running (that was apparently a 4G/EE sim issue).
Got the phone working and all has been good. No signs of poor battery life or of the phone freezing. Then suddenly today I was turning Bluetooth on to connect phone to my car (I do this every day) and it freezes up.
I'm driving so I leave it and just figure that the phone will either turn itself off or start working again.

Pull up about 10 mins later and the phone is off...but won't turn on.

So I get in, plug the phone in to charge, and nothing. No signs of life at all.

The phone has just died! Was working completely fine for over a week and then just suddenly dies?!

What the fuck.

I've tried soft reset, I've tried hard re-set. Nothing. The phones is showing no sign of life at all.

I don't know if this is a Nokia issue or a WP8 issue but my Samsung Omnia 7 ran for two years without any sign of freezing or battery problems or any bullshit like this.

When is the Ativ S out?

thirty

Banned
I wonder if these issues have anything to do with LTE? I don't have LTE in my area so I turned my 4G off when I got the phone? No battery issues, no major reboot issues here.

kharma45

It still got those issues?

Not that I'm aware of, the latter two are solved afaik and battery according to my brother is good enough now.

Took 2 weeks just to get it up and running (that was apparently a 4G/EE sim issue).
Got the phone working and all has been good. No signs of poor battery life or of the phone freezing. Then suddenly today I was turning Bluetooth on to connect phone to my car (I do this every day) and it freezes up.
I'm driving so I leave it and just figure that the phone will either turn itself off or start working again.

The phone has just died! Was working completely fine for over a week and then just suddenly dies?!

What the fuck.

I've tried soft reset, I've tried hard re-set. Nothing. The phones is showing no sign of life at all.

I don't know if this is a Nokia issue or a WP8 issue but my Samsung Omnia 7 ran for two years without any sign of freezing or battery problems or any bullshit like this.

When is the Ativ S out?

Decemeber 22nd according to Amazon, although that's subject to change.

hwalker84

What the fuck.

When is the Ativ S out?
I get the feeling Samsung knew about the issues and that's the true reason for the delay.

I am starting to think that I am one of the very few lucky ones with the 920.

My battery is top notch and lasts me all day. From 8am to 10 or 11 depending on what time I go to sleep. This is with heavy texting, Nokia music throughout the day and next Gen reader and instacam also at various times throughout. IE gets thrown in the mix also.

No freezes. Or any other bugs that people have reported.

Albeit I've only had the device for a little over a week now I am very satisfied.

Aside from no whatsapp and instagram, I'm pretty content with this device. Lack of instagram isn't even that big a deal. Only need for it is for the bikini and cleavage shots which I can do without.

I truly am starting to like this device more and more each day. It takes some getting used to but the more you give it a chance the more you begin to see how great it is/can be.

I just typed all of this on my 920 also. I hope those of you with problems get them solved soon and give it another chance.

I will definitely be knocking on wood and hope I do not encounter any issues.

Ragus

Banned
I hope those of you with problems get then solved soon and give it another chance.

I really love the idea of this phone. If only I didn't have those fucking freezes, it would be an ideal phone for me. I hope I will be able to give it another chance after the patch.

Heretic

picture000.jpg

vadernoooooooooo.jpg

Wow...

Cross posting:
So my phone has died on me overnight twice. Both times it was not plugged in but at 100% battery life. Any ideas why?

Side note: My phone lasts me the whole day with no problems. I plug in my other phone during the night and leave my 920 unplugged.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Damn, I can't believe cyan and yellow are still out of stock. May have to swallow my pride and order a red one. :(

Doesn't antiquegamer have a red one? It's not that ugly, is it?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Damn, I can't believe cyan and yellow are still out of stock. May have to swallow my pride and order a red one. :(

I have a red one, I think it is nice. better then yello IMO. Haven't seen a cyan in person.

Troll

Banned

I don't know what I'm going to do either. My first 920 had a bad battery but the replacement one is worse. :/

zedge

So yesterday and today my 920 has been warm near the top and my battery life has been pretty bad. Under 40% right now and I have barely used the phone today. Normally it would be well above 70% still. It died on me yesterday before I got home.. Sigh. Do you think this is software? Debating on swapping again.. :'(

Haven't installed anything new or made any changes to the phone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So yesterday and today my 920 has been warm near the top and my battery life has been pretty bad. Under 40% right now and I have barely used the phone today. Normally it would be well above 70% still. It died on me yesterday before I got home.. Sigh. Do you think this is software? Debating on swapping again.. :'(

Haven't installed anything new or made any changes to the phone.

I have no idea at this point. I like to think it is the software.

I don't know what I'm going to do either. My first 920 had a bad battery but the replacement one is worse. :/

On my third 920, and it is actually getting significantly better battery life than the first two. The first full charge lasted 13 hours with regular use, which would have killed either of the first two phones after 6 or 7 hours. So who knows what could happen with a new phone!

Red is the best Lumia, it even look nice with Cyan accessories (I got a Cyan purity) and look great with the boring black. Wait that was your phone :-( ? My condolences if it was.

Top Bottom