• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I've noticed, that when I don't take the phone off the charger ant night, it does not reset/freeze.

I previously tried with the charger, without the charger and it would freeze. A soft reset would fix it for the rest of the day. Hopefully this latest reset got rid of the gremlins. I really just want to make sure that it is the software and not the hardware.

Edit: For Canadian Lumia owners you can change your region to US (and then change back after if you want) and download Nokia Music and it works! Very cool.

T.O.P

Banned
Finally :D

idFYgDBY53wBC.jpg

freakin gorgeous piece of tech

Subitai

Posted this in the WP8 OT3 too.

Well this good news right?

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012/12/09/reading-the-mau-tea-leaves-windows-phone-does-indeed-appear-to-be-having-a-big-christmas/

Facebook data suggests Microsoft has sold 4.2 million Windows Phone handsets since October

Also, this is likely due to demand for 920s. For those who missed it:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/very-worried-u-economy-2013-2014-says-jim-133427956.html

“While our checks indicated the Lumia 920 was the top-selling Windows smartphone at AT&T and #3 selling device at that channel, we believe iPhone dominated AT&T’s sell-through volume,” Walkley wrote in his research note. He also stated that according to his checks, sales of HTC’s (2498) Windows Phone 8X topped the Lumia 820 at T-Mobile and the Lumia 822 at Verizon Wireless (VZ).

Who needs Nokia's Lumia and their Cinemagraph, when you can get an Android phone from Sony?

A quick note on the latest from our friends at Sony Digital Network Applications – today sees the launch of motiongraph, an Android app that lets you frame life’s moments through the awesome power of animated .gifs…

motiongraph is all about creative precision – you select areas of an image for animation (down to the most minute detail) and which to remain stationary, by simply rubbing.

It comes with several very sweet Sony imaging features including something called “loop motion detection” to sense movement, as well as image stabilisation technology to ensure picture quality isn’t compromised.
Sony brings images to life with motiongraph!

Yet another magical innovation from Sony Mobile. Just after they came up with Floating touch™ that lets you use your smartphone with gloves!

I came up with the idea during a brain-storming session at the office, where we were discussing what cool features we could use Floating touch™ for. I’m much of an outdoor person myself, who likes to hike in the mountains, and I guess I was trying to solve the frustrating real world problem of not being able to use my phone with gloves. Turns out other people felt the same thing, and here we are. I really think glove mode is a must have.
http://developer.sonymobile.com/201...ou-use-xperia-sola-with-your-gloves-on-video/

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is the phone popular or is Nokia having severe manufacturing problems? Do you know how hard it is to get a cyan or yellow Lumia? Even the red one has been hard for me to find locally, although it is available online.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is the phone popular or is Nokia having severe manufacturing problems? Do you know how hard it is to get a cyan or yellow Lumia? Even the red one has been hard for me to find locally, although it is available online.

I think it is a combination of popular, shortages and replacements. China just got added to the chain and apparently it is off to a good start.

Ragus

Banned
It's been almost a week since last freeze. Call me crazy, but it seems, that those freezes won't happen on my phone, if I keep it connected to the charger every night.

Liberty4all

Banned
Edit: For Canadian Lumia owners you can change your region to US (and then change back after if you want) and download Nokia Music and it works! Very cool.

Thanks for mentioning this! It's not just Nokia Music ... There are lots of other apps in the US store. I'm never putting my region back to Canada. They will have to drag me kicking and screaming.

Dead

well not really...yet
So Im pretty pissed

Earlier today, my 920 slightly slid over the surface of a table, and afterwards it had scratches all over the glass.

Its not really visible unless you look at it at an angle, but when you see them, there are TONS :(

Troll

Banned
So Im pretty pissed

Earlier today, my 920 slightly slid over the surface of a table, and afterwards it had scratches all over the glass.

Its not really visible unless you look at it at an angle, but when you see them, there are TONS :(

I'm sorry man. I am on my third 920 due to battery problems, so there's that.

Dead

well not really...yet
I always place my phone with the screen up on a surface. Sucks that that happened though.
It was just a moment of being careless unfortunately.

My previous phone went a year without a single scratch on its screen, despite multiple falls and no screen protector.

Oh well lol

Troll

Banned
It was just a moment of being careless unfortunately.

My previous phone went a year without a single scratch on its screen, despite multiple falls and no screen protector.

Oh well lol

Maybe try Displex. I have read that it doesn't work at all but it might be worth a try.

I'm getting a new phone mailed to me. I brought it into the AT&T store this afternoon but they didn't have any 920s in stock. My current phone has an issue with the proximity sensor. I've had it since launch and the issue has gotten progressively worse. Basically when I initiate a phone call my screen goes black and remains black until the call ends. The proximity sensor doesn't recognize the phone isn't against my face. I think it has to do with dust, because my front camera is basically clogged with dust...and I think the proximity sensor sits right next to it and I can only guess it has a similar amount of dust masking it.

Anyone else have this issue? I hope it's not a general hardware defect and my next phone ends up the same. If so, maybe I'll just get an Ativ. My Focus never had any issues.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting a new phone mailed to me. I brought it into the AT&T store this afternoon but they didn't have any 920s in stock. My current phone has an issue with the proximity sensor. I've had it since launch and the issue has gotten progressively worse. Basically when I initiate a phone call my screen goes black and remains black until the call ends. The proximity sensor doesn't recognize the phone isn't against my face. I think it has to do with dust, because my front camera is basically clogged with dust...and I think the proximity sensor sits right next to it and I can only guess it has a similar amount of dust masking it.

Anyone else have this issue? I hope it's not a general hardware defect and my next phone ends up the same. If so, maybe I'll just get an Ativ. My Focus never had any issues.

I thought I read about someone in this thread blowing air into the headphone to jack to clear it out?

For no reason my cyan/s battery becomes fantastic again after being miserable last week and I didn't do a goddamn thing. So fucking weird :/

Easy_D

never left the stone age
my sister has the phone and she is wondering how to use the rear camera in Skype, is there a hidden option?

Skype Staffer said:
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Unfortunately, there were a few features that didn't make the cut for the first Preview, including camera switching. There were also a few features with issues, including background presence and push reliability (some were back-end issues). Needless to say we've fixed/are fixing these issues and filling the feature gaps.

Source

Ragus

Banned
I just got an update through the marketplace, from 1.5.2.3 to 1.6.1.62. Anyone has an idea what are the improvements?

scently

Just got this delivered yesterday from UK (I am in Nigeria), and all I can say it that this is simply the most gorgeous phone I have ever seen (I picked the white model). Its incredibly slick, and the weight adds so much to its feel of quality. Comparing it to my other phone, the htc one X white, it is simply on a whole other league. The htc now feels cheap and less attractive ever since I started using this phone. I can't praise the feel of this phone enough. It is up there with the iPhone(4, 4s, 5) in terms of build quality but it "feels" better.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I've tried different colours but it just looks wrong in anything other than black background with cyan. It's surely one of the bravest OS decisions in recent years and it just looks stunning. I feel like Apple really needs to step up their game.
Google need to actually start playing the game.

T.O.P

Banned
Is that Spello, Italy?

If so, I spent some days there this summer! Fantastic town.

I'm like 10 miles away from Spello but that's the nearest location Amazing Weather can pick up :/

Got a couple of freeze in 4 days of use btw, doing a soft reset was the only way to reboot the device, hope this thing gets patched

I've tried different colours but it just looks wrong in anything other than black background with cyan. It's surely one of the bravest OS decisions in recent years and it just looks stunning. I feel like Apple really needs to step up their game.
Google need to actually start playing the game.

Google was on the right way with Jellybean 4.1, but they ruined most of it in 4.2. I wish I never upgraded.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Google was on the right way with Jellybean 4.1, but they ruined most of it in 4.2. I wish I never upgraded.

To be fair, it does look as though they've actually started employing people to look at UI design. It only took them like four years.

It seems like Nokia is creating artificially demand by shipping in really low numbers.

Nokia: Lumia Sales Not as Strong as Rumored, Says Pac Crest

Pacific Crest’s James Faucette this morning reiterates a Sector Perform rating on shares of Nokia (NOK) and a €2 to €3 “fair value range” on the ordinary shares traded in Helsinki, writing that the stock’s recent run-up is based on an overly optimistic reading of recent sales data for its “Lumia” phones based on Microsoft‘s (MSFT) Windows Phone software, while his own checks suggest the sales have been not strong at all.

We believe that the recent rise in the stock may have been driven by what we would characterize as an overly optimistic in-terpretation of initial Lumia sales commentary. Back in mid-November, Bloomberg cited the rise in NOK1V shares as being driven by reports that the Lumia 920 had seen strong demand in Germany. While this may have been the case for a few thousand initial units, our checks indicate that retailers in Germany say they are only now beginning to receive the 920 across normal sales channels, and the volumes being received are still very small. We believe there is some initial pent-up demand that is resulting in stores selling out of initial shipments in a few days. Nevertheless, we believe this is largely to do with the low shipment volumes rather than surprisingly strong demand. We believe a somewhat similar dynamic is likely going on at AT&T for the 920. Based on the inventory on hand, we believe AT&T is selling only 10,000 to 15,000 Lumia 920 devices per week at the moment. We believe stores are able to sell available stock in a few days; however, we found most stores getting only a handful at a time. We estimate that the company is tracking toward shipping roughly 1 million new Windows 8 products in the December quarter, while it looks likely to sell-through roughly half of those units, based on current run rates.​
http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...than-rumored-weak-says-pac-crest/?mod=BOLBlog

This doesn't really surprise me. When I went to get mine on launch day the shop had received two units.

Here's another report:

“We sold out of the Lumia and hope to get more before Christmas,” Thomas Ekman, head of Tele2 AB (TEL2B)’s Swedish operations, said in an interview in Stockholm today. Ekman said the company received 2,000 to 3,000 Lumia handsets initially.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...says-it-sold-out-of-lumia-and-wants-more.html

I have veeery hard time to believe that Nokia would ship only million Lumias in holiday quarter. Even last year they shipped way more. I don't buy that. Or are they talking about US only shipment? That would be sligthly more believable.

Pachimari

I'm sitting here with a brand new Lumia 800 in magenta I got a sale and somebody want to buy it so I can make a little profit on it. But wow is this the most beautiful phone I have seen. I just don't know what to do with both an iPhone 5 AND Lumia 800 unfortunately? :(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Top Bottom