• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Phone froze again this morning and is fine after the soft reset. I have been trying to do a hard reset using the buttons to see if that fixes the freezing gremlins, but I can't seem to do a hard reset? I turn off the phone, hold the volume, power and camera down, wait for the phone to vibrate and release the power only. Is this correct?

If this persists I'm wondering if I should do another exchange? Or is this one of the bugs that will be fixed soon?

MCD

No WhatsApp, no Tango, no Viper, over 20 Xbox games missing.

Worst launch ever? Seems so.

Still happy with the phone as I only use WP (read: I love waiting) but it's getting tired telling people that WhatsApp is pulled temporarily.

Phone froze again this morning and is fine after the soft reset. I have been trying to do a hard reset using the buttons to see if that fixes the freezing gremlins, but I can't seem to do a hard reset? I turn off the phone, hold the volume, power and camera down, wait for the phone to vibrate and release the power only. Is this correct?

If this persists I'm wondering if I should do another exchange? Or is this one of the bugs that will be fixed soon?

Just do the hard reset through the settings.

Settings>About>Reset Your Phone

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just do the hard reset through the settings.

Settings>About>Reset Your Phone

I did that once, but I was reading that it doesn't necessarily do the same things as the reset in the settings. Read that on the Nokia forums. Who knows if that's true.

I would rather not have to exchange it again, that's for sure.

Edit: I'm going to try a few different things. Uninstall a few apps, turn of data overnight and then see if it still is freezes.

MCD

Anyone mind posting their camera settings? I am a total noob at this and while the 920 takes impressive low light pictures, they still look grainy AKA phone camera pictures.

Any way to reduce the grain?

hwalker84

Got the Green Camera this morning. Had to reboot.

Phone froze a few minutes ago. Only the second time.

They need to get the freezing and rebooting fixed asap. Its happened much more with the fiancé's 8X.

Liberty4all

Banned
Is it normal for it to get warm/hot?

Its not normal. My first 920 got very hot ... I returned it and now it barely gets hot at all. It will still get slightly warm with extended usage but nothing like my first one that felt like a furnace.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I did a hard reset to wipe my data before I sell it on Ebay. Uh oh, this thing will not restart, I'm stuck in the Nokia splash screen. Quick Google search shows other people having the same problem and returning the phone to AT&T. Except I can't do that because my screen is cracked. This is just getting worse and worse. :(

MCD

Its not normal. My first 920 got very hot ... I returned it and now it barely gets hot at all. It will still get slightly warm with extended usage but nothing like my first one that felt like a furnace.

It's gone now with 3G disabled (I don't need it at home).

I will enable it tomorrow and see what happens.

Heretic

I am unable to download the Windows Phone 8 desktop software. When the installer tells me that the application is ready to be installed, the "Install" button is grayed out. Do anyone know why?

MCD

Bad reception + 3g = steamy hot phone and shit battery.

Same problem with my old Lumia 800 so I dunno why they didn't fix it yet.

H13

Will probably getting lumia 920 to trade with my iphone 4.
the apps are slowly increasing right?
i do not know what colour should i pick,red kinda nice..

Bad reception + 3g = steamy hot phone and shit battery.

Same problem with my old Lumia 800 so I dunno why they didn't fix it yet.

Bad reception kills every phone, on every platform, on every carrier. The phone is looking for the network all the time and that burns the battery down. If you are in a place with bad reception, put the phone into Plane Mode and it will stop futilely searching for a signal.

Bad reception kills every phone, on every platform, on every carrier. The phone is looking for the network all the time and that burns the battery down. If you are in a place with bad reception, put the phone into Plane Mode and it will stop futilely searching for a signal.

Phones can still deal with the same bad reception in different ways. My wife's iPhone 5 has a much better battery life with similar use than my 920, even though they both deal with the same crappy signal.

Bullza2o

My phone kind of froze, as in I could not turn the display off. Is this what everyone has been experiencing? It's now the 2nd time it did this to me. I had to hold down power key and slide to turn off. I never had mine randomly reset though.

MCD

I dunno bro, older Lumias were just as abysmal.

They need to patch it STAT.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Had my usual wake up in the morning and I can only scroll the start screen freeze. Going to try uninstalling a few more things tonight and give it one more chance then I'm doing the exchange. I know the patch is coming soon, but I don't want to risk it.

I installed Android 4.2. It's like they thought "Damn, we're on the right direction with 4.1. It starts to look good. Lets make it hideous and unresponsive again".

And they did!
Well may be they don't want Microsoft to get too discourage, after all we are back to testing beta phone on Windows Phone 8 with all the reboot, freezing, and bricked phones.

hwalker84

What ever happened to the setting to confirm if a text message was received or not? They existed on my Focus with 7.5 but not my 900 or 920.

Edit: just confirmed the options are there on the wife's 8X. I wonder why Nokia removes them.

kharma45

What ever happened to the setting to confirm if a text message was received or not? They existed on my Focus with 7.5 but not my 900 or 920.

still there on my 920

fwrDe.jpg

senahorse

Really really really (can't be overstated enough :D) liking Nokia Music on the 920. I have not listened to music much lately, I haven't kept up with greatest hits etc and Mix Radio just fits me perfectly, I download a playlist from the 70's 80's and Classical and refresh them daily (not sure how often they update) and always have some music to listen to. Edit: best thing is it's free and not ad supported.

Also I got one of those JBL NFC speakers for free with my phone contract and just gave it a whirl last night, I was blown away by the sound quality for such a small device. I am no audiophile but it sure sounds great to me.

Yeah, I also really like Nokia Music. Of course I've never tried Spotify, only used Pandora once and didn't think much of it, never had a Zune music pass, etc. But hey, free music!

moowear

Anyone have any workarounds for playlists on wp8? I've the 822 but syncing playlists are so inconsistent. Tried using the wp app for metro, wp for the desktop and also the combination of the wp app desktop with itunes. wp desktop app reads the playlists just fine but syncing them yields 0 songs in the playlists on the phone.

Tried looking it up but it seems as if it's an inherent problem with wp in general. Any tips to get your playlist going? I'm diggin the phone but this playlist thing is a thorn...

Ragus

Banned
I use Windows Phone app on OSX and I have no problems whatsoever with synching my music. Playlists/albums/whatever - all works fine.

I use Windows Phone app on OSX and I have no problems whatsoever with synching my music. Playlists/albums/whatever - all works fine.

That's a bit different for you.

Imagine being an iPhone user for a while, where you got to use a beautiful and good working version of iTunes. Then the new iPhone comes out and iTunes gets replaced by this client you got right now with Apple telling you to use ... I don't know, Napstar to manage your music from now on.

That's how it is for most Windows Phone users who switched to WP8.

hwalker84

Imagine being an iPhone user for a while, where you got to use a beautiful and good working version of iTunes. Then the new iPhone comes out and iTunes gets replaced by this client you got right now with Apple telling you to use ... I don't know, Napstar to manage your music from now on.

We'll put. I'm ashamed for Microsoft that I have to pull out the old Windows Media Player. Though I busted out laughing at the line "where you got to use a beautiful and good working version of iTunes."

moowear

haha exactly.

Satchel

Banned

been back and forth with support on twitter.

on my macbook pro. Music won't come across. Videos will.

on my Mac pro, it all comes across. Fucking strange.

tried deleting my itunes.xml file. Haven't tried syncing since. Heard that could work.

Commodore

Pretty much. For any early Zune users out there, this feels like when MS released an initial Zune software that was pretty much a reskin of WMP, fairly barebones, a quick patch work to make it possible to do basic functions. Feels like they're just flying at the skin of their teeth over there sometimes. But they did come through in my opinion, and released a very solidly designed, device-centric, catered software that worked well (albeit sluggish sometimes), and had enough options for library management, playlist and podcast support that worked fantastically. I keep thinking they'll be come at this Windows Phone software and do a Zune software like 2.0 pass at it. But then again, I keep thinking we're passing into a new threshold of device centered management and weening ourselves off software. Either way, playlist and podcast support is shit right now for WP8 users and its a big pock mark in the experience till they get an update that makes it better finally.

I installed Android 4.2. It's like they thought "Damn, we're on the right direction with 4.1. It starts to look good. Lets make it hideous and unresponsive again".

And they did!

Can't you fall back to 4.1? You probably have to back up all your data and wipe and re-flash and do a data restore.

Anyone have any workarounds for playlists on wp8? I've the 822 but syncing playlists are so inconsistent. Tried using the wp app for metro, wp for the desktop and also the combination of the wp app desktop with itunes. wp desktop app reads the playlists just fine but syncing them yields 0 songs in the playlists on the phone.

Tried looking it up but it seems as if it's an inherent problem with wp in general. Any tips to get your playlist going? I'm diggin the phone but this playlist thing is a thorn...

I use Windows Media Player, so far it's the only one that work well for me. Zune software just won't play nice at all with Windows Phone 8, the list doesn't show up on Metro side and the one on desktop side sync but corrupt.

Ragus

Banned

Oh, I see. Then that is fucking retarded. Why did they bother with changing the client?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I did the three button factory reset yesterday and had no background task running and my phone finally did not lock up this morning when I took it off the charger. Now to go back to my normal setup and see how the day and tomorrow goes.

Top Bottom