• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Who needs Nokia's Lumia and their Cinemagraph, when you can get an Android phone from Sony?

Sony brings images to life with motiongraph!

Yet another magical innovation from Sony Mobile. Just after they came up with Floating touch™ that lets you use your smartphone with gloves!

http://developer.sonymobile.com/201...ou-use-xperia-sola-with-your-gloves-on-video/
Motiongraph isn't a Sony exclusive, and it also isn't the only app like that on Android, there's also Fotodanz. Also, there's Cinemagram on iOS.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone know if the 7.8 update takes away Zune and replaces it with Xbox Music? I'm thinking about loading up the leaked firmware on my wife's phone but I will not update her phone if it takes away the ability to sync with Zune.

kharma45

Anyone know if the 7.8 update takes away Zune and replaces it with Xbox Music? I'm thinking about loading up the leaked firmware on my wife's phone but I will not update her phone if it takes away the ability to sync with Zune.

It was still Zune when I looked at my brother's 800.

MCD

diMsj.jpg

And this is just browsing GAF.

Piece of shit battery.

Whenever I turn 3g at work.

3g + bad reception = dead Nokia.

It really just cannot deal with bad reception. And having to go in and turn off data is a ridiculous thing to have to do. My third (!) 920 is maybe slightly better than the other two, but still not great.

MCD

It really just cannot deal with bad reception. And having to go in and turn off data is a ridiculous thing to have to do. My third (!) 920 is maybe slightly better than the other two, but still not great.

I had the same issue with Lumia 800 but I bought it used and battery in 800 wasn't all great to begin with so I dealt with it.

But with 920? Fuck this noise.

dLMN8R

The Lumia battery is definitely a curious puzzle. For my first week I was getting pretty terrible battery life no matter what apps I disables in the background. Disabling features or apps, nothing helped. It would always be dead before the end of the day.

Now I can keep everything enabled - LTE, tap+send, Bluetooth, all background apps (a LOT of them) - and even after browsing the web quite a bit, I still have 50-60% left at the end of the day. Today, having not used my phone much at all, it's still at 80%. I have Facebook installed, Skype installed, a Weather app is updating my lock screen, and more.

Only thing that uses up battery quickly is tethering my laptop to it, which understandably uses around 15-20% per hour (or more)

Those who are still having issues - have you updated all the Nokia settings pages through the store? I'm wondering if some of those fixed issues, because that's the only thing I can think that's changed....

MCD

I received the updates yesterday but nothing changed so far.

We will see.

What pisses me off is Nokia's silence regarding the issue.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I received the updates yesterday but nothing changed so far.

We will see.

What pisses me off is Nokia's silence regarding the issue.

Yeah, they have been super quiet. Hope within the next month we see an extensive patch for freezing , battery life, camera improvements and Portico.

Liberty4all

Banned
If your battery life is obviously shit after a week of using the phone, return and replace it.

That's what I did with no regrets ....

Sinistral

Got my 920 on Friday. After a day or so with it.. It's amazing. I switched from an iPhone4, which was my first smart phone that lasted 2 years.

The UI is really refreshing, it leaves iOS with an antiquated feeling now.

What are some apps people recommend? One specifically I am looking for is a Remote Desktop app. I was using logmein Ignition for iOS. Looking for one for Podcasts. Any others recommendations would be great.

Also, anyone in Canada, able to find the Nokia Wireless Charging Plate? I can't. Even a place to order online that ships to Canada would be nice.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got my 920 on Friday. After a day or so with it.. It's amazing. I switched from an iPhone4, which was my first smart phone that lasted 2 years.

The UI is really refreshing, it leaves iOS with an antiquated feeling now.

What are some apps people recommend? One specifically I am looking for is a Remote Desktop app. I was using logmein Ignition for iOS. Looking for one for Podcasts. Any others recommendations would be great.

Also, anyone in Canada, able to find the Nokia Wireless Charging Plate? I can't. Even a place to order online that ships to Canada would be nice.

I haven't been able to find one anywhere. WPCentral sells a charging pad, but it always sold out.

One of my favorite apps is TV Show for keeping track of what I watch. It has a great wide tile as well. Also try WeatherFlow or Amazing Weather.

edit: try Bringcast for podcasts. You can also change your region to the US and download Nokia Music, which is pretty sweet.

Satchel

Banned
The battery life on my replacement 920 has been fine mostly.

Has its random moments where it decides its going to just lose a chunk of battery life for no apparent reason, but aside from that, I rarely get less than a day with moderate or normal use, which is fine.

I have 11% right now and it's been 1 day and 1 hour since last charge.

syko de4d

i want the 620, looks really great for the price. Really don´t need a super high end Smartphone but WP8 + Nokia would be nice and the upcoming lumia 620 sounds perfect for me.
I hope it will come in early January :/

I hope this Thread is not only for the Lumia 920 :)

MCD

Honestly, it's better to go with low end phones because there is always a new bad ass phone right around the corner.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Honestly, it's better to go with low end phones because there is always a new bad ass phone right around the corner.

You can justify getting the high-end by saying you're getting a low-end phone in advance ;)-

MCD

My phone got all buggy while I was rocking Ys music in my car so I decided to restart it

And then I got stuck at the slide to shutdown thing for 10min till it played nice and rebooted.

Even Vista wasn't this buggy.

It didn't help that Bing daily picture was all buggy.

MCD

Unbelievable...

2 min browsing gaf = 1% of battery level

All background apps turned off

I hate this phone

Top Bottom