• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Pachimari

Have anyone else tried having a new Lumia 800, charging it and then it not being able to turn on?

I just exchanged it for another one today and it does the same.

It vibrates twice but don't turn on... =/

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Have anyone else tried having a new Lumia 800, charging it and then it not being able to turn on?

I just exchanged it for another one today and it does the same.

It vibrates twice but don't turn on... =/

I know with my 920 that if it's completely drained it takes a while before it actually starts.

Pachimari

But I have had 2 Lumia 800's now that have failed to start up. :(

It vibrates but there's not even a screen with an empty battery. I have tried warming the phone as well to get it going and doing the power-volume down but nothing works.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
But I have had 2 Lumia 800's now that have failed to start up. :(

It vibrates but there's not even a screen with an empty battery. I have tried warming the phone as well to get it going and doing the power-volume down but nothing works.

Oh, I misinterpreted your post completely. Yeah that sounds weird as hell. Something must be wrong with it.

It's been over 5 weeks now since I ordered my Lumia and AT&T can't even give me status updates on when/if it will be available. Beginning to think about just cancelling the whole thing (if that's even possible). I don't think Nokia is doing this on purpose, Nokia is doing very poorly in managing supply.

As we get closer to CES in January I'm going to want to see what's announced and whether I should hold out for something better, so if they don't send me this phone soon I'm probably going to walk and maybe leave AT&T altogether. Ideally I'd like to switch to T-Mobile as I can get a similar service with a value plan for almost half of what I'm currently paying AT&T.

Nokia was obviously never serious about delivering an adequate supply of yellow/cyan Lumia's to AT&T since they never had plans to sell them in stores. I can't say how Nokia is doing worldwide, but in the US I feel as though Nokia is still failing very badly. Nokia needs to have their flagship phone on all 4 major carriers to compete with Apple/Samsung/HTC, but Nokia can't even handle supplying 1 carrier right now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Its unbelievable. Its like the cyan and yellow simply aren't being produced anymore. Makes me feel even worse for having one and not adequately protecting it. I may never own a cyan 920 again and I can only blame myself.

thirty

Banned
Switched from att to straight talk and it was seamless. Att also told me they don't have unlock codes for the 920, no ETA.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Anybody knows where to get Lumia 920 compatible NFC tags?

I prefer to shop from Amzon.

Liberty4all

Banned
Do you guys get alot of questions or "looks" when using your phone? Looks like "WTF is that?!"

It amazes me that so many people still have no clue what a Windows phone is, or that a Windows phone OS even exists.

Its unbelievable. Its like the cyan and yellow simply aren't being produced anymore. Makes me feel even worse for having one and not adequately protecting it. I may never own a cyan 920 again and I can only blame myself.
They are all being ship to China, the only market that matter for Nokia.

I think the notion that they created artificial demand is horseshit, I think it is a combination of low expectation by the carriers and that Nokia just don't have the capacity anymore to ramp up production. They are not what they used to be and probably just don't have ability to meet demand with so many line of products and color variants.

Do you guys get alot of questions or "looks" when using your phone? Looks like "WTF is that?!"

It amazes me that so many people still have no clue what a Windows phone is, or that a Windows phone OS even exists.
People just think we are using one of the gazillion Androids phone. Except one guy who was in line next to me at Epcot and sports cool White Lumia. We just give one another that approving nods.

I am actually surprise to see several Windows Phones, majority of them are that LG one with physical keyboard or the Focus Flash. (And I am in Orlando, Florida and not Seattle just in case someone want to tell me this is because I am in MS country).

MCD

People just think we are using one of the gazillion Androids phone. Except one guy who was in line next to me at Epcot and sports cool White Lumia. We just give one another that approving nods.

VVRrl.gif

maeh2k

If I were you I'd just get the screen repaired. I don't see why it wouldn't be as good as new. It's not like they could just fit in a worse non-Nokia screen or anything. And the $180-ish price you mentioned earlier seems okay for a screen and installation. If everything else is intact the phone deserves a new screen :)

hoos30

If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to check out the Photobeamer app, which is currently exclusive to the 920. It is glorious.

It projects your pics to any web enabled screen.

thirty

Banned
made the switch from ATT to Straight Talk last night and it was a piece of cake. i ported my number and the entire process took about 20-30 minutes. thanks to the WPcentral forums, i entered my APN settings and got internet and MMS without a single issue.

maeh2k

How are you getting the photos off of the phone?

I believe he means 8.7 MP in x:y instead of 7.1 MP in 16:9 and 8.0 MP in 4:3. 4:3 and 16:9 are common and the 8.7 MP sensor is a good way to support both resolutions. That way you can choose the format best suited for a particular image instead of having just one format and cutting parts off of the image to get the other format.

Top Bottom