• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

thirty

Banned
Anyone else having issues with the automatic updates? The Store won't even show that there are updates available :. Tried the Unpin, clear web history, soft-reset, re-pin but it doesn't work.

The worst part about this is the fact that system setting updates won't show up, like the new brightness settings, can't access that at all. Fucking hell.

Edit: Major problem here, from a friend. My friend's Lumia 920 won't show up as portable device, meaning it isn't detected in the "My Computer" tab, no way to access it like that, whereas mine works, tried on the same computer with the same cable too.
store? U don't go into the store to update. Go to settings then go to the phone update option.

Hmm, My battery ran out this morning about an hour ago so I plugged it in and its just flashing the battery charging symbol... it's never taken this long before, Guess I should just let it charge?

Edit: Phew, I fixed it with a soft reset. Good thing too, I was literally scared for it

thirty

Banned
It's a mix. When we had Bb we used Sprint, then we were testing iPhones on Verizon. So not sure what we will get with the Lumia.

Hopefully it is AT&T or Verizon because we have 4G where my office is.
hopefully they give you wireless chargers too.

What kind of hit on battery life is there with wifi always on?

OK, so after a full day at work with the new 8.0.1 version OS here is what I found.

1. Wi-Fi always on is great especially for my work, which we have to sign in and when if we log off or inactive it kick us off the system and then we have to go through sign in again. With Wi-Fi always on I didn't have to sign back in at all.

2. Battery, well I didn't really have battery problem before but I do noticed even with Wi-Fi always on my battery is slightly better than before. There is no sudden huge battery drain and the battery report show gentle downward curve.

3. My battery came off the charger around 6:45pm and it's about 8:00am now and I still have 48% left. I used the phone for about 2 hours of podcast + audible. Most of the usage is checking Gaf , WP Central and various News site. I didn't really play any games today but I did have everything enable today - Bluetooth, NFS, always on Wi-Fi, lock screen weather update with Weather Flow, Bing lock screen and notification on for Weave, WPCentral and USA Today Apps along with MyStocks+ apps.

Things I noticed that really murder your battery before are PhotoBeamer, Nokia Drive and Cinemagraph. I will test those out tomorrow and see if the phone fair better.

4. My car Bluetooth work now (even though I don't use it much). It doesn't freeze or crash the phone when I give it voice command via my car's mic.

All in all I am pretty please with the update.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Things seem ok. Something I thought I had cleared up last week is still happening. After not using my phone for 8 hours or so it will lock up as soon as I try to open an app. It is fine for the rest of the day after a soft reset. Maybe it is an installed app causing the issue??

thirty

Banned
Watching the local news here in LA and the winner of dancing with the stars was yapping about her appearance at a local mall to promote the Nokia Lumia 920. Nokia has a pop up kiosk there where they demo their phones. One of the newscasters then chimed in, said she had a Lumia, went on about the camera, then talked about how iPhone owners are always asking what kind of phone they have.

If you cant sell phones ...

Nokia to Get Payments From RIM as Companies End Disputes

Nokia Oyj (NOK1V), the Finnish mobile-phone maker struggling to reverse a slide in sales, agreed on a patent-licensing deal with BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM), ending all legal disputes between the companies. RIM will make a one-time and “on-going” payments to Nokia, the Espoo, Finland-based company said today in an e- mailed statement. Financial terms weren’t disclosed.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...-disputes.html

If you cant sell phones ...

Nokia to Get Payments From RIM as Companies End Disputes

Nokia Oyj (NOK1V), the Finnish mobile-phone maker struggling to reverse a slide in sales, agreed on a patent-licensing deal with BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM), ending all legal disputes between the companies. RIM will make a one-time and “on-going” payments to Nokia, the Espoo, Finland-based company said today in an e- mailed statement. Financial terms weren’t disclosed.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...-disputes.html

Well Nokia has shitload of patents as they are pretty much oldest mobile phone company alive lol. Easy money.

So much for the urgency, huh Elop?

On the issue of Nokia Lumia shortages he did not quite confirm the device was selling very well, but did say the company was “on a strategy as we introduce the 920 and 820 to start with an initial level of production and to build that over time, to get to the point where we are expanding everything that we are doing, store by store and now country by country, and going into the next part of the new year. So we are on a very deliberate strategy to grow this over time and things are going reasonably well based on the consumer feedback.”
http://wmpoweruser.com/stephen-elop...ction-ramp-up-says-it-is-deliberate-strategy/

But maybe he didn't want to get the buggy handset in so many hands at once.

So much for the urgency, huh Elop?

http://wmpoweruser.com/stephen-elop...ction-ramp-up-says-it-is-deliberate-strategy/

But maybe he didn't want to get the buggy handset in so many hands at once.

It's a better strategy than the one HP employed when launching the TouchPad. It's smarter to start with shortages and ramp production up rather than waste a lot of money manufacturing a ton of units and have them take up space in warehouses. Shortages artificially fuel demand anyways in consumer markets, so if you're going to choose between shortages and stuffing the channel with unsold units, you should choose shortages. Assuming that your company can remain solvent, of course.

Oh, the quote is fine. Just the fact that it looks like you actually thought to yourself "I wonder what's going on over at WMPoweruser.com" makes me want to take a long, cold shower.

They're still in my Google Reader feed. I suppose you can blame me for that. :/

hadareud

The Translator
Some battery news:

I struggled to get through a whole day of heavy use, but since I migrated my gmail to outlook and removed it from the phone battery live has improved considerably (still syncing 3 other email addresses, one of them a google apps one). Now the battery easily lasts a whole day.

Also

wp_ss_20121221_0001.png

So, after a full day with the update I have to say that Battery life has vastly improved. I also have Wifi set to remain always on, Sunlight readability off, Brightness with Battery Saver On,

18% Remaining
ETR: 2 Days 15 Hours
Time Since last Charge: 21 hours.

Liberty4all

Banned
Can any of you guys surf while on a call? I've tried to and my phone jumps back to the call screen when I try to open an app or surf the net. Its like I will get 30 seconds before it defaults back to the call screen.

Troll

Banned
Can any of you guys surf while on a call? I've tried to and my phone jumps back to the call screen when I try to open an app or surf the net. Its like I will get 30 seconds before it defaults back to the call screen.

I do it all the time. Depends on your carrier.

Raistlin

Yeah I do it ... it matters your carrier and the antenna configuration on the phone.

Bullza2o

What is everyone's setting for email syncs? I have 3 emails (GMail, Live, Yahoo) syncing at 30min, 1hr, 2hrs respectively. I'm wondering if I should just do "as items arrive" for some/all of them like I do for Windows 8. What is the best option battery-and-data(LTE - 200MB limit)-wise?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
store? U don't go into the store to update. Go to settings then go to the phone update option.

I'm not talking about doing a firmware update, I'm talking updates such as the new screen settings. Or any kind of update, really. Nothing shows up.

Pavaloo

I just got one of these bad boys unlocked and on Bell in Canada! Very excited!

Anything cool to check out on this that I might miss? I'm not really aware of what apps are available ont his thing.

Also, does anyone know if I can sign into a different e-mail for xbox on this? It's not linked to my regular hotmail :/

Liberty4all

Banned
I do it all the time. Depends on your carrier.

Normally (with my old iPhone) I had no problems surfing while talking too. On my 920 though it will let me back out of the call screen while talking but 5 seconds into surfing or opening an app it "snaps" back to the call screen. Really annoying. I'm with Rogers btw ...

I got my 920 yesterday, loving it so far. Glad to finally get rid of that Focus.

Almost went with a red one, but decided to get the white as that's the one I wanted to begin with.

Anything cool to check out on this that I might miss? I'm not really aware of what apps are available ont his thing.

Also, does anyone know if I can sign into a different e-mail for xbox on this? It's not linked to my regular hotmail :/

I dont think you can. What you would have to do is go to xbox.com, go to your profile then change your email to your main.

Razdek

Banned

Does internet sharing work on it? When I had mine unlocked I couldn't get it to work with Bell

kazinova

Both me and the lady's phones are dying all of the sudden, it just started yesterday. I have no idea what it is.

I'm at 40% now, 3hr:30min since charging.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That's really strange.

I'm gonna try and get mine replaced after New Years. I gotta wait just in case it takes a while. I need dat camera for Christmas and New Years. I'm annoyed that it freezes cause my battery seems pretty solid.

Hopefully Rogers won't be a pain in the ass since it longer than 15 days. Just need to take it into the store while it is in its frozen state.

Heretic

Both me and the lady's phones are dying all of the sudden, it just started yesterday. I have no idea what it is.

I'm at 40% now, 3hr:30min since charging.

same here. The only difference is i've turned on always on wifi so i'm turning it off to see if it fixes it.

Top Bottom