• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Ragus

Banned
Nokia shat on htc? :lol:

oh, btw. 68% with 9 hours of usage. That is more like it ;),

edit: Welp, first scratch on my screen.

TKR92

WTH is going on with my phone?

8326394389_f1b8f52fdc.jpg

Tapiozona

Banned
Someone in my area is selling an Unlocked Lumia 920. Does anyone know if this will work fine with AT&T. I'm assuming so but my knowledge of unlocking, etc is very limited and I don't want my phone to be gimped or not have LTE, etc.

Tapiozona

Banned
$350.
Will everything work fine? Guy is waiting for my response but I don't want to get it until I know 100% that I'll have a fully functional phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I want to say lte won't work, but hopefully someone who knows a lot more will fill you in. You can google the bands and see if you will at least get hspa+, but if you live in an lte area you may want to just spend the extra $100 for full compatibility.

HildyB

So.. weird request, anyone able to get the "Nokia tune remix" off the phone to download? I just love it and miss it. My 920 broke and I'm using an old iPhone till I get my replacement.

hadareud

The Translator
My battery has steadily improved since I got the phone almost 2 months ago - apart from when playing games.

The battery drain when playing wordament (for instance) was absolutely mental and the phone would get really hot at the back near the camera.

Well, I read yesterday that the location chip may be responsible, so I turned off location - and the improvement is massive. The phone now stays nice and cool and it doesn't use up much more battery than with normal use.

Must be some sort of bug.

Liberty4all

Banned
I really enjoy surfing on this thing. I hate the keyboard though. It just doesn't allow me to type as fast as I could in,my iPhone a,d the autocorrect doesn't catch as many mistakes.

Oh man I love the WP8 keyboard so much more than the iPhone. I actually use predictive text and autocorrect, which were never helpful on iOS. Plus the cursor movement thing on WP is so awesome, I love actually typing.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
So the more I have been using this phone the better the battery life has become!

I can now easily skip days of charging with medium/heavy usage.

HfTfh.png

Which is reassuring as when I first got the phone the battery life wasn't great.. I wonder if it will improve again once I get this update.

kharma45

I really enjoy surfing on this thing. I hate the keyboard though. It just doesn't allow me to type as fast as I could in,my iPhone a,d the autocorrect doesn't catch as many mistakes.

I've found the keyboard on WP8 worse at autocorrect than on WP7 which is a shame.

Ragus

Banned
I've just recieved official Protective Cover CC-1043 for 920 and I want to recommend it to everyone. It looks so good that I've already forgot, that it's there. And it will provide a great protection in case of any drops.

hadareud

The Translator
Looks like the Portico update for the 920 is now live in Navifirm for several more countries including EE in the UK.

By looks like it I mean I just checked and it's there.

I can't be arsed to flash my phone, but if somebody here wants to they can (would be nice to get some feedback of how it worked).

I guess we should see the OTA update soon now.

Hilarious how people threw their toys out of the pram when it was rumoured that it would take until February with the update.

Still, it's fucking time that they kept their promise and allowed carrier opt-out.

NeOak

I've just recieved official Protective Cover CC-1043 for 920 and I want to recommend it to everyone. It looks so good that I've already forgot, that it's there. And it will provide a great protection in case of any drops.

Nokia US no longer handles distribution if accessories like covers :(

Ragus

Banned
Nokia US no longer handles distribution if accessories like covers :(

Wow, that sucks :(.

btw. Call me crazy, but it seems that every time I charge my phone with wireless charger, I get much worse battery time, compared to traditional charging. Especialy when I'm not usingthe phone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

btw. Call me crazy, but it seems that every time I charge my phone with wireless charger, I get much worse battery time, compared to traditional charging. Especialy when I'm not usingthe phone.

Hmm, hope I didn't waste my money, :lol

I guess I will see what happens when it arrives.

NeOak

It charges slower than the AC adapter, but for me it has been the same in terms of battery.

jgkspsx

Spent some time with these at AT&T today. The white one is hideous. Red looks pretty good, black is OK. I don't get why they aren't selling the cool colors here. Maybe because they already carry the HTC 8X in chartreuse and purple.

Gotta say, I'm pretty tempted on the chartreuse one. My wife said, "At least you'll never lose it!"

Argh.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's all about angles and luck. My cyan 920 had previously fallen two times and barely had a scratch on it, but the one time it fell screen first......it was game over.

NeOak

Sooo... About Nokia "Catwalk":

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/3/3831420/nokia-catwalk-future-windows-phone-aluminum-body

Interesting to see what comes out of it design wise, hopefully something more than a iPhone/Galaxy look a like.

Aluminum?

You know what hates Aluminum?
Any kind of RF signal.

The N8 had plastic parts where the antennas go. There are two in my house (A Black one my dad still uses and the mythical Orange i used)

But i would really love to have something like the E7.

Man is that crack on the floor from the phone? Poor floor

lol no. I didn't notice that, but that chip on the wood wasn't the phone.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is there some kind of leather case which protects the screen and phone?

Sort of like the Samsung Note cover?

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Flip-Cover.jpg

GCX

That looks really boring :-/

Not ugly, just... why would I want that?
I kinda agree. It looks cool in super close up pics but as a whole I think that design would look pretty stale and.. well.. square. I hope Nokia continues with their bold colorful line and doesn't back down to "office look".

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Hopefully they won't recycle the same design for a fourth time in a row. Fifth time, if you count the N9.

I'd appreciate something like this:

V29I6.jpg

Wouldn't be as nice to hold as a Lumia/N9. I agree it's getting a bit stale but a lot of thought went into making it the way it is.

Milchjon

You know what's boring? Using the same basic design for 4 phones in 2 years. If it's quality material and feels nice in the hand, then it will play into the looks.

Eh, it's still the most beautiful design to me. Also, look what Apple did to the awesome iPhone 4 design. You don't need to mess with perfection.

The only reason why I'd be okay with them changing it up is the lack of success so far. But I'm not sure some officey slab is going to change all that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Would that case prevent the screen from making contact with the ground if it falls on a flat surface? That's my main concern after having the screen shatter on my first Lumia. The other case I had covered the backs and sides perfectly but the curved glass screen was left vulnerable.

Troll

Banned
Would that case prevent the screen from making contact with the ground if it falls on a flat surface? That's my main concern after having the screen shatter on my first Lumia. The other case I had covered the backs and sides perfectly but the curved glass screen was left vulnerable.

It looks like it has a lip, so maybe?

Ragus

Banned
And this is my case, which cost me about 10 bucks:

I think it is a very good case:
-nice rubbery feel
-feels very solid
-the phone looks the same
-it absorbs the heat (I REALLY like it)
-the screen doesn't touch the surface when it's laying on the table/ground

The only disadvantage is the fact, that volume buttons are harder to reach, but it isn't really a dealbreaker.

Oh, and I'm considering buying cyan and yellow ones for fun.

zedge

Yea it does have a bit of a lip around the edges on the front. Not sure if that would help if it fell flat on the screen though.

zedge

And this is my case, which cost me about 10 bucks:

I think it is a very good case:
-nice rubbery feel
-feels very solid
-the phone looks the same
-it absorbs the heat (I REALLY like it)
-the screen doesn't touch the surface when it's laying on the table/ground

The only disadvantage is the fact, that volume buttons are harder to reach, but it isn't really a dealbreaker.

Oh, and I'm considering buying cyan and yellow ones for fun.

It doesn't even look like there is a case on it.. wtf.

Can you link to it?

ugh, cases are so ugly. I have a faux-leather thingy that I slide my phone into when it is in my pocket, but I really dislike those plastic shells. especially on great phone designs like the iphone or lumias. i dont mind if someone slaps a plastic case on their galaxy s3

zedge

Thanks. Have to poke around ebay or something.

ugh, cases are so ugly. I have a faux-leather thingy that I slide my phone into when it is in my pocket, but I really dislike those plastic shells. especially on great phone designs like the iphone or lumias. i dont mind if someone slaps a plastic case on their galaxy s3

I prefer it naked too, but I find it slippery sometimes, almost dropped it couple times already. May try to find a thinner red one still though. :D

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I hated cases too but after losing my cyan Lumia, I don't care about looks anymore. I'll slip it out of a case if I'm in a carpeted room though.

Top Bottom