• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So I have a question for Canada-gaf, you're able to get Nokia Wireless Chargers at the Toronto Microsoft Store... right? I thought I remembers reading it somewhere?

I'm not in TO so I ordered a charging plate from Amazon.com. Would like to get a stand at some point.

zedge

Hasn't affected Apple. Phones as far back as the 3GS are running iOS 6.

People shouldn't have to upgrade their phones every year to get the latest OS revision.

In the case of the 3g, 3gs, 4, that's all it is, a OS revision, missing features that are added to newer handsets. If that's the case Android should just rename all the older versions to jelly bean and leave them as is. Seems Apple gets a free pass on this..

Regarding your yearly comment, my S1 got two OS upgrades, S2 one soon to be two.

As a fan of both platforms the Android hate in here (and the WP thread) gets really tiring sometimes.

kharma45

In the case of the 3g, 3gs, 4, that's all it is, a OS revision, missing features that are added to newer handsets. If that's the case Android should just rename all the older versions to jelly bean and leave them as is. Seems Apple gets a free pass on this..

Regarding your yearly comment, my S1 got two OS upgrades, as did my S2, soon to be 3.

As a fan of both platforms the Android hate in here gets really tiring sometimes.

Yeah they don't get all the features (the 3GS got fuck all really from iOS 6) but they still get something and it does placate the masses as they're seen to be getting something rather than nothing and not being left behind.

What three upgrades did the S2 get? Started with GB, then it got ICS and JB is coming soon, they're all that I'm aware of unless you mean say moving from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 or something like that.

this_guy

Hasn't affected Apple. Phones as far back as the 3GS are running iOS 6.

People shouldn't have to upgrade their phones every year to get the latest OS revision.

How does Windows Phone 8 run on the Nokia 900? All of this Android hate is rediculous. An Android phone from 2 years ago running Android 2.2 Froyo has more accessible apps than any Windows Phone.

I want to see Windows Phone do well and become a legitimate 3rd competitor, but crapping on the market leader (Android in general) doesn't make Windows Phone better. Also it seems like the Nokia 920 and HTC 8x need to work on their stability issues reading all the complaints on here.

zedge

Yeah they don't get all the features (the 3GS got fuck all really from iOS 6) but they still get something and it does placate the masses as they're seen to be getting something rather than nothing and not being left behind.

What three upgrades did the S2 get? Started with GB, then it got ICS and JB is coming soon, they're all that I'm aware of unless you mean say moving from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 or something like that.

Edited. Not awake yet. :)

The thing with Android phones is due to the custom skins, say a Samsung phone or HTC phone on Gingerbread, compared to one on say Jelly Bean, average joe would likely be unable to tell the difference. And since there is no 'crutch' like iTunes for Android phones there is likely no indication that an update may be available for your device. Most users are oblivious to this and really don't care.

Any who ontopic, does anyone else have an issue where you lose sound with the music app? This seems to happen to me once a week. When I play music there is no sound, notifications, youtube etc still work but I have to restart to get the music working again. Its happened on the kids 8X too so it must be a WP thing.

MCD

WP8 needs a mango like update to truly shine but not 10 fucking months from now. It needs it this instant.

But knowing slowpoke Belfiore and co, these guys will deliver...2 years from now and they will still miss a lot of shit.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You guys are surprised at the android, apple, or windows phone hate? Its the new console wars, and as someone who uses all the platforms from time to time, it gets old quick. Not that you can't criticize a platform. Also, a lot of the android hate surfaces when the android fanboys come in spouting nonsense, or when someone says that a feature on the Note 2 makes windows phone seem like a dumbphone.

kharma45

Edited. Not awake yet. :)

The thing with Android phones is due to the custom skins, say a Samsung phone or HTC phone on Gingerbread, compared to one on say Jelly Bean, average joe would likely be unable to tell the difference. And since there is no 'crutch' like iTunes for Android phones there is likely no indication that an update may be available for your device. Most users are oblivious to this and really don't care.

Any who ontopic, does anyone else have an issue where you lose sound with the music app? This seems to happen to me once a week. When I play music there is no sound, notifications, youtube etc still work but I have to restart to get the music working again. Its happened on the kids 8X too so it must be a WP thing.

Yeah there is that but I've noticed now some friends with Android phones starting to become aware of what version they're running when they can't use Chrome for instance on their phone and wonder why another friend can on theirs. Aren't Google though now trying to enforce some sort of agreement whereby OEMs support devices for 18 months or something?

Sound wise I can't say I've had this, only sound bug I've had is in podcasts where trying to change the volume level does nothing.

How does Windows Phone 8 run on the Nokia 900? All of this Android hate is rediculous. An Android phone from 2 years ago running Android 2.2 Froyo has more accessible apps than any Windows Phone.

I want to see Windows Phone do well and become a legitimate 3rd competitor, but crapping on the market leader (Android in general) doesn't make Windows Phone better. Also it seems like the Nokia 920 and HTC 8x need to work on their stability issues reading all the complaints on here.

7.8 runs just fine, I do feel that Microsoft made a mistake calling 7.8 what they did, they should've just called it WP8 and carried on to appease lay consumers.

If you mean I've been crapping on it I fail to see how, I like Android perfectly well and I've owned a few of them (HTC Hero, Nexus One, HTC One X) over the past number of years.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are surprised at the android, apple, or windows phone hate? Its the new console wars, and as someone who uses all the platforms from time to time, it gets old quick. Not that you can't criticize a platform. Also, a lot of the android hate surfaces when the android fanboys come in spouting nonsense, or when someone says that a feature on the Note 2 makes windows phone seem like a dumbphone.

Yeah, it is the new console wars and I find it ever more annoying.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This is true. Also, Xbox music. Can't hate on that enough. But wouldn't trade my 920 for any other phone on the market.

Yeah they need to improve it massively. Right now it is probably the best on Xbox.

An aside, when you guys change tracks while it is showing the album art is there a slight delay sometimes? It happens with my Pass songs.

MCD

And their continual US focus, I can't believe the rest of the world still doesn't have any podcast support on the phones themselves.

Hmm...I dunno why podcast won't show for some but here is me missing with different Language/Region settings and still getting Podcast in the store:

KOGWG.png
UK

German

Japan (I think lol)

Arabic (Saudia)

kharma45

Hmm...I dunno why podcast won't show for some but here is me missing with different Language/Region settings and still getting Podcast in the store:

UK

German

Japan (I think lol)

Arabic (Saudia)

Well for the UK at least podcasts isn't here, just took this screencap there now

Are you based in the USA and just changing some settings? If so that's why you're getting it as you're still in the US with a US phone and a US firmware.

MCD

Can't view the picture but perhaps because my email is set to US? Can you try that and reboot the phone?

Edit: nope, not from the US so it isn't checking by IP.

Only thing I have US set to is my Outlook email. It is the same email I used with my Xbox.

zedge

No Podcasts in Canuck land here.

Regarding Xbox music. I notice on the computer I can listen to any album, full songs etc. However on my phone it only plays 30 second clips? Is this right? (on 30 day free trial)

MCD

I don't understand.

My email (Hotmail/outlook) region is the United States.

Go to Outlook/Hotmail, click on Options/More Options --> Click on Managing your account: Account details (password, addresses, time zone).

Edit personal Info from there and change Home Region to US address. A fake one would do like a hotel address for example.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
No Podcasts in Canuck land here.

Regarding Xbox music. I notice on the computer I can listen to any album, full songs etc. However on my phone it only plays 30 second clips? Is this right? (on 30 day free trial)

Do you have the pass setting turned on? Also, I think on new accounts it may take a few days to recognize the phone.

kharma45

My email (Hotmail/outlook) region is the United States.

Go to Outlook/Hotmail, click on Options/More Options --> Click on Managing your account: Account details (password, addresses, time zone).

Edit personal Info from there and change Home Region to US address. A fake one would do like a hotel address for example.

Will try that now.

MCD

Even after a reboot?

Maybe you need to go DEEPER and restore back to defaults lol joking. Not worth it, just wait for MR BELFIORE to get off his ass.

kharma45

Even after a reboot?

Maybe you need to go DEEPER and restore back to defaults lol joking. Not worth it, just wait for MR BELFIORE to get off his ass.

Rebooted three times just to be sure :lol I've waited long enough, I can't see them ever bothering at this stage :\

Same for me, again, maybe US only? :\

MCD

Rebooted three times just to be sure :lol I've waited long enough, I can't see them ever bothering at this stage :\

OK. One last try.

Go to Phone Settings --> music + videos and click at the Xbox Music account settings

It will open up this page:

Notice the United States down there? Is it the same for you?

venne

Perceived build quality may not be as good as a Nokia or an HTC but on the longevity side of things Samsung's are generally pretty hardy phones.

The two Focuses in my drawer which both went full retard in under two years (bad USB ports) sour my opinion of the company.

I was looking forward to the Note 2 until I held it.

PG2G

My Focus had a bad USB port too. One of the reasons that wireless charging sounded like such a good idea for me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The two Focuses in my drawer which both went full retard in under two years (bad USB ports) sour my opinion of the company.

I was looking forward to the Note 2 until I held it.

Note 2 is just way to big for me as a phone. 1) I don't want to use Bluetooth walking around talking and 2) Look odd holding that big of a phone to my ear.

I completely agree, and its anoying. This is the Nokia Lumia WP Thread, not the Android Thread. Yes people are going to come in and shit on whatever phone/platform they are preferred to, but its annoying. This thread is alot more fun when I can come in and not feel insulted for buying a phone I liked.

Do you have the pass setting turned on? Also, I think on new accounts it may take a few days to recognize the phone.
I know for me it took 2 hours before the pass activated on my phone... but then again I also bought the pass on my phone. On my W8 computers they activated immediately.

I'm not in TO so I ordered a charging plate from Amazon.com. Would like to get a stand at some point.
Alright, if they dont have them in stock at the Microsoft Store, I'll see if amazon has any back in stock.

Thank you :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I completely agree, and its anoying. This is the Nokia Lumia WP Thread, not the Android Thread. Yes people are going to come in and shit on whatever phone/platform they are preferred to, but its annoying. This thread is alot more fun when I can come in and not feel insulted for buying a phone I liked.

I know for me it took 2 hours before the pass activated on my phone... but then again I also bought the pass on my phone. On my W8 computers they activated immediately.

Alright, if they dont have them in stock at the Microsoft Store, I'll see if amazon has any back in stock.

Thank you :)

They only had 8 left when I ordered and it was Cyan only. Hopefully you can get a stand though.

I've had my Lumia 920 for a week and I love it so far. My only gripe with the phone is actually a pretty big one though, seeing as it has to do with the difficulty creating a playlist on the phone with Xbox Music (or being able to sync Xbox music playlists across all three devices). I unsubbed to Spotify and started subbing to Xbox Music. I like the idea of being able to save the songs to the phone and if Microsoft can fix the issues with Xbox Music, I'll just keep the Xbox Music subscription.

thirty

Banned
I've had my Lumia 920 for a week and I love it so far. My only gripe with the phone is actually a pretty big one though, seeing as it has to do with the difficulty creating a playlist on the phone with Xbox Music (or being able to sync Xbox music playlists across all three devices). I unsubbed to Spotify and started subbing to Xbox Music. I like the idea of being able to save the songs to the phone and if Microsoft can fix the issues with Xbox Music, I'll just keep the Xbox Music subscription.
it takes some practice to understand creating playlist but once you do it ...it's still pretty bad. it's like they bury the ability to create playlist deep within the OS, a feature they're trying to not allow the user to use.

it takes some practice to understand creating playlist but once you do it ...it's still pretty bad. it's like they bury the ability to create playlist deep within the OS, a feature they're trying to not allow the user to use.

Well, when I added everything to now playing and created a playlist, it worked great the first time but when I try to create another playlist, it keeps adding all of the music on the device, seemingly automatic...very frustrating.

thirty

Banned
Well, when I added everything to now playing and created a playlist, it worked great the first time but when I try to create another playlist, it keeps adding all of the music on the device, seemingly automatic...very frustrating.
you need to clear the now playing list. when you understand that, it does become easier to manage. play a non music media file like a video podcast or a youtube video. that will clear the "now playing." you can then create a new playlist from this point. or if you wanna add to an existing playlist, play that one, add songs, then save as existing or create a new.

the confusing thing with playlist creation is that microsoft doesn't explain how to clear "now playing."

edit: corrected for grammar.

So I'm sitting here on the train and I just heard 3 different phones give off the Nokia Message Tone. One of them came from next to me. I have finally seen my first L-920 (that isnt my own) in public

you need to clear the now playing list. if you understand that, it does become easier. play a non music media file like a video podcast or a youtube video. that will clear the "now playing." you can then create a new playlist from this point. or if you wanna add to an existing playlist, play that one, add songs, then save as existing or create a new.

the confusing with playlist creation is that microsoft doesn't explain how to clear "now playing."

Thanks!

It's fricking asinine how the playlist work. Download an app call Stop Music and use that to clear your playlist. I use the old workhorse Windows Media Player to sync my music and so far it's the best option.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It's fricking asinine how the playlist work. Download an app call Stop Music and use that to clear your playlist. I use the old workhorse Windows Media Player to sync my music and so far it's the best option.

Unless you wanna sync Xbox Music Pass music. Hope the next major update sorts some of this stuff out.

Unless you wanna sync Xbox Music Pass music. Hope the next major update sorts some of this stuff out.

Yeah I was all excited for Xbox Music when I got Windows 8 ... then the shine wore off real quick. I went from I am going to subscribe after my free trial run out to no fucking way I will keep using this.

ana

yay.. finally got a silicone bumper for my lumia 920..
Pretty ridiculous that they are so hard to come by around here... And I still haven't got my discounted fatboy..

Top Bottom