• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

I kind of want to get this case
155411-400x400.jpg
It's the Nokia Lumia 920 CP-600

Easy_D

never left the stone age

I got this case, it's pretty nice, worth the money I paid for it as well (About 12-13 euros or so) Thought it'd work fine until there are some must have alternatives and it works just as advertised, phone sits fine in the plastic case on the inside

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My 920 wouldn't wake from sleep. Had to do the volume down/power button combination until it came back from the dead. First time that's ever happened to me, my previous 920 never did that. Kinda scary, but everything seems fine now. I thought portico was supposed to fix that?

Troll

Banned
My 920 wouldn't wake from sleep. Had to do the volume down/power button combination until it came back from the dead. First time that's ever happened to me, my previous 920 never did that. Kinda scary, but everything seems fine now. I thought portico was supposed to fix that?

I don't think it's a wide spread problem anymore with the new update. I'm not sure you can eliminate those issues 100%.

After a little over a month of owning the 920, I am throwing in the towel.

I commend those of you who are still using this phone and plan to keep on using it.

The hardware was great but WP8 left a lot to be desired for me. However, I am glad I got to try it out and see what else is out there but ultimately I will be going back to Android (GS3).

This thread was great and got plenty of good and useful information from here and want to say thank you.

jgkspsx

If you don't mind, what specifically are you missing? What was your previous phone? I'm planning to get a Nexus 4 when they're available again, so I'm covered for Android, but I'm still curious.

android is so undesirable. really really functional, but it feels mass produced and b-tier level, no matter how good the hardware is. I was once a big supporter of android, but I could not go back now. feels just not right

NeOak

Thats a Lumia 900. WP7 style start "button" and camera location.

After a little over a month of owning the 920, I am throwing in the towel.

I commend those of you who are still using this phone and plan to keep on using it.

The hardware was great but WP8 left a lot to be desired for me. However, I am glad I got to try it out and see what else is out there but ultimately I will be going back to Android (GS3).

This thread was great and got plenty of good and useful information from here and want to say thank you.

You are going back to an OS that needs a Quadcore CPU with 2GB RAM and still doesnt feel as "smooth" as iOS back on the original iPhone with an ARM11 at 412MHz.

Good luck.

Razdek

Banned
Thats a Lumia 900. WP7 style start "button" and camera location.

You are going back to an OS that needs a Quadcore CPU with 2GB RAM and still doesnt feel as "smooth" as iOS back on the original iPhone with an ARM11 at 412MHz.

Good luck.

I don't understand what's bad about Android phones that have quadcore and 2 GB of RAM. It doesn't need it but it makes it run better and eventually WP will get there too and if you've used Jelly bean you'd know that the transition s are smooth like WP.

Ugh. That's still not in? I presume it will be in the next version, but do we know when that's coming?

During a session on notifications at Build today, Microsoft's Thomas Fennel strongly hinted that the company is considering a notification center for Windows Phone.

"Because we ran out of time," admitted Fennel, after being questioned on the lack of notification center by an audience member. "It's very very important to me… we get tons of feedback from developers that they want something like that as well. I promise we're thinking very very hard on that one." The lack of notification center is evident when a notification is triggered and disappears, especially when a Live Tile is not enabled for that particular app.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/1/3587864/windows-phone-8-notification-center

So I have a question for Canada-gaf, you're able to get Nokia Wireless Chargers at the Toronto Microsoft Store... right? I thought I remembers reading it somewhere?

MCD

What are you trying to do?

I don't know about this one specifically, but I know jambox requires one phone to disconnect before another can connect.

I want to connect Lumia 920 plus Surface without disconnecting any of them.

Mine does that every damn time I let my battery run to empty. I have to do a hard reboot. I'm planning on exchanging it in a month or so. I returned my previous 920 because dust was collecting in the front camera/proximity sensor. This phone has the same issue so I'm hoping in a month or so they've had time to iron out the defects. If not, I'll just keep returning it until they do. I love the phone, camera, Nokia apps, and everything but the defects make it difficult for me to recommend it to friends.

NeOak

You guys need to learn that this nonsense is over since Jelly Bean 4.1.

Yeah, but brot, how many years, hardware upgrades and release versions took them to get there?

To what a iPhone could do since the beginning. Heck, to what WP7 did from the beginning too.

Yeah, but brot, how many years, hardware upgrades and release versions took them to get there?

To what a iPhone could do since the beginning. Heck, to what WP7 did from the beginning too.

Why does it matter now? Fact is, an Android phone with 4.1 is buttery smooth.

My overclocked 4.2 Galaxy Note says that JB isn't still as smooth as an iPhone or a WP8

4.2 made things worse, which is why I specifically mentioned JB 4.1 and not 4.2.

Well considering that only 10% of Android phones are running 4.1 or higher then I'd say the nonsense is that the vast, vast majority of handsets are a sub par experience.

And a different experience. I'm tired of the Android hate. While WP does run smooth on low end hardware, don't forget that Windows Phone is simply blocks and white text on black background. The Galaxy SIII will be getting a software update soon, giving it the Note II features. Windows Phone is a dumbphone compared to Note II.
Phone hardware is evolving at an explosieve rate and Android profits from that by designing features around the hardware. In other words, Android evolves to cope with the hardware evolving. Soon, Android phones will be more than just phones and the 'Ha, your phone requires an octocore to run smoothly!' will get you nowhere but out of the smartphone market. You must ask yourself, with the presence of Quad Core ARM chips and 2GB ram, what can Windows Phone 8 offer to take advantage of that? And the comparison is valid because the Lumia 920 and 8X compete with the Note 2 price wise.

That's the problem I have with my first one , it would go to sleep and never wake up. I don't think portico suppose to fix that ... I am pretty sure that is just defective unit but I could be wrong. I would get it swap if it keep happening. It was happening to me frequently after the first week.

Well considering that only 10% of Android phones are running 4.1 or 4.2 then I'd say the nonsense is that the vast, vast majority of handsets aren't a sub par experience.

That kind of happens when you've sold so many phones previously. Most people don't upgrade their phones every year, so there's going to be a lot of inertia from older device installs. Android's overwhelming success is the reason for the sheer number of devices running older versions.

I don't understand what's bad about Android phones that have quadcore and 2 GB of RAM. It doesn't need it but it makes it run better and eventually WP will get there too and if you've used Jelly bean you'd know that the transition s are smooth like WP.

There's nothing wrong with the blistering pace of innovation in Android devices. The argument that Android is going too fast and should slow down so iOS and everyone else can catch up is lunacy. If you can't keep up, you're going to die. Google isn't slowing down anytime soon and neither are the Android OEMs.

kharma45

That kind of happens when you've sold so many phones previously. Most people don't upgrade their phones every year, so there's going to be a lot of inertia from older device installs. Android's overwhelming success is the reason for the sheer number of devices running older versions.

Hasn't affected Apple. Phones as far back as the 3GS are running iOS 6.

People shouldn't have to upgrade their phones every year to get the latest OS revision.

kharma45

Unfortunately, it comes with the build quality and design aesthetic of a Cracker Jack prize.

Perceived build quality may not be as good as a Nokia or an HTC but on the longevity side of things Samsung's are generally pretty hardy phones.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Perceived build quality may not be as good as a Nokia or an HTC but on the longevity side of things Samsung's are generally pretty hardy phones.

This is true. I owned two Samsung phones before the 920 I use now and that ugly, cheap-looking plastic was certainly durable. Samsung needs to up their game a bit more on design and materials, though, they could certainly add more non-plastic elements.

But back to the discussion: Why does split screen mode make iOS and Windows Phones dumbphones all of a sudden? It's a good feature, but is it that game-changing?

This is true. I owned two Samsung phones before the 920 I use now and that ugly, cheap-looking plastic was certainly durable. Samsung needs to up their game a bit more on design and materials, though, they could certainly add more non-plastic elements.

But back to the discussion: Why does split screen mode make iOS and Windows Phones dumbphones all of a sudden? It's a good feature, but is it that game-changing?

I'd assume for the same reasons you'd want that on a computer monitor. I usually want to do multiple stuff and with the larger screens we are getting and the more performance power is it feasible to use multiple applications at once.

Personally I'd like being able to instant message with someone while browsing for example. I would not use it a whole lot on my phone, since I do not really would do "work" on a phone, but I can see it being useful.

PG2G

Outside of writing software, I rarely find myself needed multiple windows. Notifications on the newer and mobile platforms make it even less necessary for things like chat, email, and facebook to be running side by side.

There are certain cases where I'd probably use it though, like watching video.

Top Bottom