• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

I wonder how far plan B is in progress.

Do you discard launching an Android phone next year?

Elop: In the current ecosystem wars we are using Windows Phone as our weapon. But we are always thinking about what’s coming next, what will be the role of HTML 5, Android… HTML5 could make the platform itself—being Android, Windows Phone or any other—irrelevant in the future, but it’s still too soon [to tell]. Today we are committed and satisfied with Microsoft, but anything is possible.
http://gizmodo.com/5973769/nokia-boss-today-we-are-with-microsoft-but-anything-is-possible

And yes, there is a plan b.

Okay, I have a Galaxy Ace. It's really testing me at the moment the terrible piece of shit it is. I have some money, I want a 920, but it would be easier on my pocket to go for the 820.

My question, is the extra £100 that the 920 costs worth the money? Or is 820 more than a good enough phone?

dLMN8R

I don't know what the full unsubsidized prices are for each, but it's probably well worth the money for the vastly superior camera, awesome screen, and 32GB of built-in storage.

Okay, I have a Galaxy Ace. It's really testing me at the moment the terrible piece of shit it is. I have some money, I want a 920, but it would be easier on my pocket to go for the 820.

My question, is the extra £100 that the 920 costs worth the money? Or is 820 more than a good enough phone?

The 820 is a good enough phone, but of course it depends on your demands.

Smaller and worse quality screen (although the size is also a bit smaller, so that can be a plus).

Less storage space although you can extend that, but it costs a bit money again.

The image stabilization of the 920 is a plus for photos but especially useful for video.

Smaller battery (but can upgrade again).

You must decide for yourself if stuff like this is important. With that price range I would go for the 920, but it might be you don't care about those features at all.

kharma45

EE had a good deal on the 920 recently, £329 PAYG with a free wireless charger and fancy headphones.

920 is coming to all networks this month so should see better prices.

Milchjon

IMO, the 920 is worth that much more (Camera+Screen+Storage+Design+Built in wireless charging). But you should pick up both beforehand, some people really care about the weight difference.

The 820 is a good enough phone, but of course it depends on your demands.

Smaller and worse quality screen (although the size is also a bit smaller, so that can be a plus).

Less storage space although you can extend that, but it costs a bit money again.

The image stabilization of the 920 is a plus for photos but especially useful for video.

Smaller battery (but can upgrade again).

You must decide for yourself if stuff like this is important. With that price range I would go for the 920, but it might be you don't care about those features at all.

IMO, the 920 is worth that much more (Camera+Screen+Storage+Design+Built in wireless charging). But you should pick up both beforehand, some people really care about the weight difference.
I probably would use the extra features and weight isn't an issue.

EE had a good deal on the 920 recently, £329 PAYG with a free wireless charger and fancy headphones.

920 is coming to all networks this month so should see better prices.
Think I'll hold fire then see what the other networks can offer.

Doffen

I would say it's worth it.

Woot, the Microsoft Store had wireless charging stands in stock. I just bought one and im on my way back now. I'll post a pick once its set up

WP_20130107_007.jpg
picture016.jpg
picture015.jpg
Here are the pics. Sry for the low quality on the last two, The laptop has a shitty camera.

srst

Just got my 920 yesterday, signed a 3-year contract with Rogers. Either that or pay ~$700 to buy outright. :\
The battery has been good so far. Today it survived 12 hours with 59% power left. I didn't run any heavy apps, mostly web browsing.

NeOak

Seeing as I need a new alarm clock, does anyone here with the Charging Stand has been using the 920 like that?

Also, ordered that Belking bumpcase from AT&T online since they have a 25% discount. 26 bucks is still offensive but if anything happens i can go to a store and change it (i think).

Seeing as I need a new alarm clock, does anyone here with the Charging Stand has been using the 920 like that?

Also, ordered that Belking bumpcase from AT&T online since they have a 25% discount. 26 bucks is still offensive but if anything happens i can go to a store and change it (i think).
Well, I've been using it for a day now, As long as you keep the volume on at max you can use it as an alarm clock. Just keep it next to your bed stand, set your alarms and the phone will keep charged.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got my replacement 920. Things I notice immediately are that I don't have a very noticeable creek anymore in the bottom left side corner and the back plate on my old 920 sinks into the phone where the one on my new 920 sticks out.

Dammit, the screen on my phone is going blank and unresponsive as soon as I make a call. Second phone this has happened to. I really hope I don't have to return this for a fourth 920. Goddamn that sounds ridiculous. Has anyone had luck with getting the proximity sensor or whatever to stop bugging out? I heard if you blow some compressed air somewhere at the top it can fix things.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, the screen on my phone is going blank and unresponsive as soon as I make a call. Second phone this has happened to. I really hope I don't have to return this for a fourth 920. Goddamn that sounds ridiculous. Has anyone had luck with getting the proximity sensor or whatever to stop bugging out? I heard if you blow some compressed air somewhere at the top it can fix things.

That's what I have heard as well. Never had the problem myself though.

Hey Zedge, how is your charger working?

zedge

That's what I have heard as well. Never had the problem myself though.

Hey Zedge, how is your charger working?

So far so good. Just put in on the bed side table as I charge over night. Has a small green led on the front that lights up when its charging, didn't know this.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So far so good. Just put in on the bed side table as I charge over night. Has a small green led on the front that lights up when its charging, didn't know this.

Cool. Looking forward to getting mine. Also how is your signal in Calgary. Does signal switch from 3G to 4G frequently?

zedge

Cool. Looking forward to getting mine. Also how is your signal in Calgary. Does signal switch from 3G to 4G frequently?

Signal seems good, it does switch to 3g in some areas. Probably cause Rogers LTE coverage is not that great yet. Bells seemed much better. Still seems to work fine though for the most part, I get LTE for most places.

image11.png

I thought on Verizon in America, more people would have gone with HTC 8x (I got the 822 for expandable memory). Guess maybe Verizon sales people are pushing the 822.

Also, good news that Sprint has gotten off the sidelines so people who have to have unlimited data, can use that with a Windows phone now, if not a Lumia.

Verizon had many promotion for 822 including offer it for free with contract (so not really free but you don't have to put any down payment). I didn't think it was a bad phone ... with exception of the screen resolution.

On another note went to a mall today with Microsoft pop-up store, still not excited about Surface, too big and heavy .. interface is nice and smooth but yeah I would rather get another iPad if I were to buy a new tablet. They did have Yellow and Cyan Lumia 920. Yellow looks really nice ... and seeing Cyan I rather have the Red one.

Is that something to with the sensor ... I heard it can be fix by blowing out the dust. I never have that problem and only on my 2nd Lumia (knock on woods).

jgkspsx

Well, I jumped in. Got the standing charger for $20 off, so $150 total for phone AND flat AND standing charging pad. Pretty happy about that. Everything is black.

So far, I like it a lot, although the fact that Messenger only supports MSN Mess and Facebook is vauntingly stupid. Why even include it? Oh well.

Shoogoo

I have the opportunity to buy a Lumia 800 for cheap, should I bite?

If I understand correctly, it runs on 7.8

I currently have a LG Optimus and it wouldn't be bad to upgrade.

Try blowing into the Proximity sensor. I had a friend whose phone was like this and it was because of a piece of dust stuck on the sensor. Some compressed air might do the trick if you can blow it off by yourself

It's still covered by warranty. Go to an AT&T store and get a replacement. It's a defect with the phone (dust is infiltrating through the speaker) and so if Nokia hasn't fixed the defect yet, you'll have to do another exchange in a few months. I'm going through the same thing.

thirty

Banned
I'd say it's disappointing, considering they sold 4 million in Q2 2012, but everyone is making excuses about the bad availability and things like that.
considering they sold more lumias then Symbian for the first time ever and they came out profitable, it's very positive.

Tomcat

The 920 isn't the only Lumia they're selling.

the same applies for the 820

as for its wp7 phones with the recent price cuts maybe they convinced some to buy them. it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of that number would be lumia/610/710/800 phones.

actually the lumia 800 at 200euro is an amazing value for money purchase

considering they sold more lumias then Symbian for the first time ever and they came out profitable, it's very positive.

I think very positive is pushing it. They set themselves low expectations and were very deliberately cautious with supply. Still, hopefully they've set themselves up for growth in next couple of Q's.

GCX

Nokia Siemens Networks is really the division keeping Nokia afloat, their profit margins keep on increasing constantly. It gives the mobile branch a bit more breathing room.

jgkspsx

920 camera crashed today. I only saw a green screen instead of the live feed. I tried switching between inside and outside cameras, to no avail. Restarting fixed it.

920 camera crashed today. I only saw a green screen instead of the live feed. I tried switching between inside and outside cameras, to no avail. Restarting fixed it.

Do you have an App that uses the camera, or use any lenses?

I was developing an app, and that happened to me. It was because I didn't properly dispose of the camera resource.

Top Bottom