• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

NeOak

Nice. Added to cart. I bought a screen protector from the AT&T store and the fucker fell off after about five hours. I'm going to see if I can get my money back, if I can, I'm going to buy the case you linked and the screen protector in the related items. With shipping and handling, it would cost the same as the screen protector I bought.

I got the AGF ballistic case and my brother got the Otterbox defender. Both highly recommended and both come with a screen protector as part of the case.

Rehynn

Facebook app: 643 KB (Looks plenty good)
Photos -> Share To: 145 KB (Looks like shit and badly reprocessed shit at that)

So the Facebook app is fine, but the email thing is bullshit. This is all I use my dataplan FOR.

That's good to know, might influence my decision when deciding between the 800 and the 620. Thanks!

EDIT: If I read the whole thing correctly and there's no way to do this with WP7.8.

jgkspsx

Pretty much everything major app-wise is on the Lumia or there's a great alternative.
Nook? Fitbit? Any number of consumer devices with app controllers? Yeah, no. There may be apps, or third party ones like for Fitbit, but they are pale shadows of the full-featured app on iOS and sometimes Android.

And at the end of the day, it's simply a much more beautiful and durable than the S3.
"Beautiful" is a subjective term. In terms of the device itself, it's fine, but I don't think it's so hot. The HTC 8X is much better looking and feeling. The SIII fits my hand much better and looks pretty elegant.

In fact, you can even attach the device as USB and just files directly into the folders.
With a custom driver that you have to install. Need to use the phone as a flashdrive to copy files to somebody's computer when you don't have an internet connection to download the driver? Too fuckin' bad. It organizes music into all of these shitty folders that makes copying music onto it a pain. It doesn't let you see the actual filesystem where your files live. Download something besides a Document, Music, Picture, Ringtone, or Video? Presumably you're out of luck. The Pre 3 mounted as USB. Android mounts as USB. Windows Phone is nearly as braindead and useless as iOS as a flashdrive.

Not to mention the browser's serious deficiencies, which m3k said was a major priority. Want to save a picture? Too bad. Want to go forward when you accidentally hit the back button? Too bad.

The "flaws" of Windows Phone or Lumia 920 are only really flaws to those who have experiences or attachments to other smartphones. As a first time user, you will absolutely love it.
"The flaws of Wonder Bread are only really flaws to those who have experiences or attachments to other bread. As a first time eater, you will absolutely love it." It's not good bread, much less the best bread, but the ignorant wouldn't know, right?

Actually, here, try this.

The "flaws" of webOS or Pre 3 are only really flaws to those who have experiences or attachments to other smartphones. As a first time user, you will absolutely love it.

I believe this is absolutely true. But I wouldn't recommend somebody purchase one (much less lock themselves into a contract with one) without knowing the tradeoffs and what you're giving up.

I knew what I was getting into with the 920 (although I have been surprised at some of the ridiculous design errors with the OS, like the fact I cannot share full-res photos). I like it quite a bit and can cope with most of its deficiencies. But telling a smartphone n00b to get it because he or she doesn't know any better is dishonest and a bit cruel.

MCD

Save a picture from IE? But you can or did you mean something different here?

If these apps are ported from old BB OS then MS should be ashamed of not being able to port like...20 Xbox games to WP8.

hadareud

The Translator
You can save pictures in the browser.

If you want to share a full res version of your pictures you can use Skydrive to do it.

Some of the criticisms are valid, though. But over top and a bit hysterical.

hadareud

The Translator
EDIT: beaten like a WP spec sheet

heh

Anyway:

wp_ss_20130116_0001.png

edit: full resolution, omg.

PG2G

If these apps are ported from old BB OS then MS should be ashamed of not being able to port like...20 Xbox games to WP8.

I'd assume an overwhelming number of the apps are Android ports, since its a completely automated process

jgkspsx

You can save pictures in the browser.

If you want to share a full res version of your pictures you can use Skydrive to do it.

Some of the criticisms are valid, though. But over top and a bit hysterical.
I guess that's Facebook's fault, then. I needed to save a picture from Facebook to share with a non-Facebook-using friend. I see the "view full size" link lets you do it, then.

If I email a picture from my skydrive (which by the way will only get to skydrive if I have wifi), will it be full res?

I don't really see what's over the top. These were things I relied on, took for granted, and did every day on webOS, which was developed by a comparatively small company, hasn't been updated in a year, and is now dead. And WP8, the third major version of Windows Phone, can't compete with that? BTW, Google Docs worked on webOS browser just fine. Maybe that's because Google are breaking it for WP8IE, but then again maybe not.

"Nokia 920: the phone for people who care about taking pictures. Unless they care about sharing pictures." is not how it was marketed.

I'd assume an overwhelming number of the apps are Android ports, since its a completely automated process
It's emulated, AFAIK. Which means it will probably be crap.

MarkusRJR

Is there an easy way to purchase an unlocked Lumia 620 yet?

It's emulated, AFAIK. Which means it will probably be crap.
I have a ton of sideloaded apps on my old Playbook and they all run pretty decently. If they have the apps I want (facebook, twitter, instagram, youtube, etc) I might even pick one up.

hadareud

The Translator
I guess that's Facebook's fault, then. I needed to save a picture from Facebook to share with a non-Facebook-using friend. I see the "view full size" link lets you do it, then.

If I email a picture from my skydrive (which by the way will only get to skydrive if I have wifi), will it be full res?

I don't really see what's over the top. These were things I relied on, took for granted, and did every day on webOS, which was developed by a comparatively small company, hasn't been updated in a year, and is now dead. And WP8, the third major version of Windows Phone, can't compete with that? BTW, Google Docs worked on webOS browser just fine. Maybe that's because Google are breaking it for WP8IE, but then again maybe not.

It looks like emailing it as an attachment will automatically downsize the pictures, no matter what. I agree that it's a bit stupid that you can't change the setting anywhere.

But you can email the links to the originals from the skydrive app. If you want to automatically upload the originals, it is only possible to do that on wifi, like you said.

But I think if you manually copy the pictures to your skydrive it will upload the original size.

jgkspsx

Yeah, "emulated" is kind of a funny concept for a VM. Though I imagine there's a facade around the Blackberry hardware API calls to make it work as if it was on an Android device.

PG2G

I agree though, I don't know that it is a good long term solution. The apps won't be able to take advantage of any BB10 specific features and they will need to be pretty good about keeping the VM up to date.

dorkimoe

Thinking about switching from my iphone 5 to a lumia 920, is that my best choice? i had a 900 and really enjoyed it, had a little trouble with texting but I assume that will get better with time.

Thinking about switching from my iphone 5 to a lumia 920, is that my best choice? i had a 900 and really enjoyed it, had a little trouble with texting but I assume that will get better with time.

You need to give more information or ask questions. It is a very subjective choice.

kharma45

That, or there is the 820 which should be a fair bit cheaper.

jgkspsx

I do not understand the concept of paying $50 less to get stuck with an inferior device for up to two years whose monthly bill will be more than $75 a month.

PSGames

I just did a few days ago. Always been a fan of Windows Phone since the Focus. From my experience the texting is much improved from the iPhone. Battery life isn't as good as the 5 and there are still quite a few apps missing but overall I've been happy with the switch.

I thought the pictures are save to Skydrive at full resolution (via Wi-Fi). That's how I have been sharing if I want full resolution. I don't see why you would want to email huge files of photo from your phone using data connection but then again may be people have difference need.

Beside sharing link directly to the forum, Skydrive photo backup is pretty nice.

Ragus

Banned
Do I lose warranty if I upgrade firmware through Nokia Care and it's a firmware from other country? I'm asking this, because my 920 has started doing the same old shit, that it did before Portico. Fucking freezes keep on happening. Now, I'm afraid that I can lose my warranty because I updated it through Nokia Care.

Sigh, I'm getting really tired of this phone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Do I lose warranty if I upgrade firmware through Nokia Care and it's a firmware from other country? I'm asking this, because my 920 has started doing the same old shit, that it did before Portico. Fucking freezes keep on happening. Now, I'm afraid that I can lose my warranty because I updated it through Nokia Care.

Sigh, I'm getting really tired of this phone.

Do a factory reset then download the update. Nokia is supposed to be pushing Portico to international 920s.

Edit: They haven't pushed it quite yet, but soon.

I'm crossing my fingers. If true, I'll relegate my HTC 8x to a dev phone. Plus, I can test out NFC sharing on my app between retail devices, woot!

Ushae

Banned
GAF I have a dilemma. I can't seem to make the clock on this thing set automatically, it just plain refuses to do it. I even got late to work because of it.

Anyone encountered this before ?

Haklong

Not sure if this has been discussed here before but has anyone had a problem with their front facing camera on the Lumia 920? Mine goes crazy at times and the images is purple and jittery. If you had the problem is the only solution to exchange it?

Bullza2o

Where can I save any of these Bing lock screen wallpapers from?
I love the one it is right now for US.

It's called Bing2Wall, but I only used that when I had my Focus 1.

I currently have the Fosmon TPU case for my Lumia 920 and the bottom part kind of annoys me. It's too loose. I ordered the official Nokia case in hopes of a perfect, tight fit and a better grip.

ReconPeon

I had gotten the galaxy note 2, but then I exchanged it for this vastly superior device. Everything about it feels like I moved up from a Toyota to an Aston Martin. So are most people going naked with their phones or are you guys putting cases on these beauties? I'm torn. I don't want anything to happen to the phone, but I don't want to put an ugly case on it either.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I had gotten the galaxy note 2, but then I exchanged it for this vastly superior device. Everything about it feels like I moved up from a Toyota to an Aston Martin. So are most people going naked with their phones or are you guys putting cases on these beauties? I'm torn. I don't want anything to happen to the phone, but I don't want to put an ugly case on it either.

I kind of go back and forth. I'm using a case at the moment. I would like to pick up red Nokia gel case though. Glad you like the phone.

MCD

Currently naked but planning to pick the official red one as soon as they get it in stock.

thirty

Banned
cheap thin snap on $5 eBay case as daily driver, naked when I'm out and about. My Cyan gets mad looks, followed usually by "is that a case?" I will use the official silicone as soon as I'm sent one. Definitely use a screen protector to prevent glass cracking.

ReconPeon

Yea, I think mine will be mainly naked until I get the official gel one in the mail. Where did you order yours from.

What screen protector are you using?

p.s.

Nokia music is amazing

ReconPeon

I ended up buying both the black and cyan gel cases. Mainly because the black one should get here first, but also for some variety.

kharma45

Friend of mine got an 820 yesterday, any reason why it would be missing the Nokia Collection in the Store? Also, NFC sharing didn't work either when I tried to share a pic from my 920 :\ Local Scout was also missing from the Bing Search page.

Top Bottom