• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

kharma45

I'm in an angry mood today so I thought I'd complain at the fact you have to use the Zune program to do anything with the Lumia 800. What a fucking shit, bloated piece of software that is. Do the 820 and 920 remedy this? Why the fuck do they not allow drag and drop when I'm using a Windows phone on a Windows OS?

Yeah you can drag and drop with WP8

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I'm in an angry mood today so I thought I'd complain at the fact you have to use the Zune program to do anything with the Lumia 800. What a fucking shit, bloated piece of software that is. Do the 820 and 920 remedy this? Why the fuck do they not allow drag and drop when I'm using a Windows phone on a Windows OS?

Don't complain, we windows phone 8 people are envious of you. It's even worse on the 920.

edit: we can drag and drop? I had no idea...I still miss zune.

MCD

Drag and drop all the way for me.

Syncing program is still in beta. Give it time AKA give it a year.

MCD

I dunno lol. I only dropped like two files so far and non were tagged.

Too lazy nowadays for file management and shit.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You have three now? $$$$$

Just two. The red is my wife's and the white is my co-workers.

I sold my Focus S and she sold her 900 to help subsidize. Real talk though, $450 unsubsidized is a great price for these devices. I wish it were that affordable everywhere.

Windows Phone 8 will allow you to drag and drop, but be careful what you wish for.

I still cant believe I am back to using WMP to manage my music.

ReconPeon

Ok, I apologize in advance for my ocd. Does anyone else with the red lumia 920 notice a very very subtle dark line on the back of the phone running vertically and then at the top going slightly to the left? It is like a half inch to the right of the camera. I assume it is where some of the nfc or wireless charging stuff is under the casing, but I'm not sure. I returned one phone because of it, but the second had it too, so I am assuming it is just something that is present on all red models.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Ok, I apologize in advance for my ocd. Does anyone else with the red lumia 920 notice a very very subtle dark line on the back of the phone running vertically and then at the top going slightly to the left? It is like a half inch to the right of the camera. I assume it is where some of the nfc or wireless charging stuff is under the casing, but I'm not sure. I returned one phone because of it, but the second had it too, so I am assuming it is just something that is present on all red models.

I don't see it on the back of my red phone, even under bright lights.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got my first scratch :(

Don't really notice it though. Just got to accept that it will happen and I won't have it forever anyways.

kharma45

The phone I had scratched like there was no tomorrow, even some small chips out of the glass near the search button, and bits of the finish rubbed off too.

You'd think I treated it like shit when I did anything but :S

Might be more suited for the Windows Phone 8 thread but I'll ask here given this is the phone I have. If I resubscribe to xbox music (had the pay version before I got the phone) can I download the music to my 920 like it does on windows 8? Or will I still have to stream it constantly.

kharma45

Might be more suited for the Windows Phone 8 thread but I'll ask here given this is the phone I have. If I resubscribe to xbox music (had the pay version before I got the phone) can I download the music to my 920 like it does on windows 8? Or will I still have to stream it constantly.

Yeah you can download it to listen offline.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Oh crappy.

Kids having issues with his 8X, sim card errors and headphone jack is messed up. :/

My brother was having sim card errors, I asked him to take it out, make sure everything was clean and then set it back properly. He hasn't had any issues since, but apparently one of the issues is that the sim tray is too close to the power button, so it gets moved when pressing down too hard repeatedly. Another issue seems to be that it's really not set completely still, so putting on a case, or cases that are stiff can move the sim tray when pressing down hard on the power button.

I'm never recommending another HTC phone to anyone. Ever. On the plus side, he was happy about getting the Nokia Drive app.

zedge

My brother was having sim card errors, I asked him to take it out, make sure everything was clean and then set it back properly. He hasn't had any issues since, but apparently one of the issues is that the sim tray is too close to the power button, so it gets moved when pressing down too hard repeatedly. Another issue seems to be that it's really not set completely still, so putting on a case, or cases that are stiff can move the sim tray when pressing down hard on the power button.

I'm never recommending another HTC phone to anyone. Ever. On the plus side, he was happy about getting the Nokia Drive app.

Yea its too bad, the sound on the 8X for playing music absolutely destroys the 920. Build quality is rather suspect though. Saying that I did return my firs 920 for lousy build.

CaptainABAB

Just upgraded my WP7 to a 920. What is the general recommendation for a case?

And since I'm not familiar with Win8 apps, what is the best weather app?

JimiNutz

Banned
My 920 has suddenly developed a problem with YouTube videos.
The videos play fine, but if I pause the video and lock the screen the video does not resume when I go back to it.

Makes watching videos really frustrating as I have to watch it all in one go or start it all over again from the beginning!

Is this just happening to me?
How do I fix it

jgkspsx

I do have to admit, I'm very happy with the downloadable maps. Do other platforms do that? I was in Canada the other day, with international roaming off, and was able to use my phone as a GPS with full mapping.

That said, Bing's location search is absolute garbage. I don't even understand how it comes up with the results it does. If I search "Regional Tire, Anytown, NY", shouldn't it list Regional Tires in Anytown? In my case, I had to scroll through pages of "Regional Haircare" and "Discount Tire" in multiple other cities before I found my result.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If Xbox Music doesn't improve, I may give this a try when my sub is up.

Nokia is launching Nokia Music+ which will a subscription service for #3.99 a month and will be coming to 24 territories.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/01/27/more-from-your-music/

edit:

Unlimited skips. Whether you like to skip from track to track, or just want extra control over what you hear. There’s no stopping you with Nokia Music+.

Unlimited downloads. The free service allows you to download up to four Mixes (each of which contains hours of music) and play them without an Internet connection. The paid service removes this limit – you can download a massive supply of offline music you can swap as you wish.

Higher quality. We were surprised by the high quality of streaming music from Nokia Music, even over a 2.5G connection. Nokia Music+ allows you to download music at eight times the existing quality. Plus, you can set rules to only download high quality when you’re on WiFi, for example.

Lyrics. Words to the songs you’re listening to, right on your Nokia Lumia. Either in a scrolling list, Karaoke-style format, or a display you can scroll up and down.

On your desktop. The Nokia Music+ subscription also gives you access to the service without your phone. A web-app gives you the ability to play Mixes on your computer, smart TV or other connected screens.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Question is, how much do they have?

Music services are such a bloody mess right now.

Probably depends on what kind of music you like. They are supposed to have millions of songs. Don't think the selection is quite as good as Xbox Music though.

zedge

If Xbox Music doesn't improve, I may give this a try when my sub is up.

Nokia is launching Nokia Music+ which will a subscription service for #3.99 a month and will be coming to 24 territories.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/01/27/more-from-your-music/

edit:

Unlimited skips. Whether you like to skip from track to track, or just want extra control over what you hear. There’s no stopping you with Nokia Music+.

Unlimited downloads. The free service allows you to download up to four Mixes (each of which contains hours of music) and play them without an Internet connection. The paid service removes this limit – you can download a massive supply of offline music you can swap as you wish.

Higher quality. We were surprised by the high quality of streaming music from Nokia Music, even over a 2.5G connection. Nokia Music+ allows you to download music at eight times the existing quality. Plus, you can set rules to only download high quality when you’re on WiFi, for example.

Lyrics. Words to the songs you’re listening to, right on your Nokia Lumia. Either in a scrolling list, Karaoke-style format, or a display you can scroll up and down.

On your desktop. The Nokia Music+ subscription also gives you access to the service without your phone. A web-app gives you the ability to play Mixes on your computer, smart TV or other connected screens.

Will it be available in Canada?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Will it be available in Canada?

I hope so, but it is hard to say since Canada tends to get the shaft with stuff like this. It took Zune/Xbox Music years to arrive in Canada. At least for now we can go to the US marketplace and pick up the free Nokia Music.

zedge

I hope so, but it is hard to say since Canada tends to get the shaft with stuff like this. It took Zune/Xbox Music years to arrive in Canada. At least for now we can go to the US marketplace and pick up the free Nokia Music.

I'm enjoying Xbox music, but it this is as good at a lower price it would be cool. Have to wait and see I guess.

A question. I got a Red 920 last month and with Xbox Music (have had Zune since V1 with zune pass) while streaming via bluetooth it seems that it will stick on a song and not play it.

It just sticks, then you skip the song and it's good to go again.
1. All my stuff is downloaded on streaming
2. No certain song does this.
3. It is annoying and sometimes I don't notice because Im in my head when I drive.

Other than that I love my 920. Battery life is flipping awesome unless I'm at the University of Houston campus. Signal in the buildings blow, so it goes airplane mode during classes or in the Library.

My 920 has suddenly developed a problem with YouTube videos.
The videos play fine, but if I pause the video and lock the screen the video does not resume when I go back to it.

Makes watching videos really frustrating as I have to watch it all in one go or start it all over again from the beginning!

Is this just happening to me?
How do I fix it

I've been using metrotube, I think it's 99 cents, but holy crap it is an amazing youtube player, even rivals most of the best stuff on the Play store.

Top Bottom