• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Friend of mine got an 820 yesterday, any reason why it would be missing the Nokia Collection in the Store? Also, NFC sharing didn't work either when I tried to share a pic from my 920 : Local Scout was also missing from the Bing Search page.

Maybe his region is set up wrong?? Does he have the NFC back plate on the 820.

kharma45

Maybe his region is set up wrong?? Does he have the NFC back plate on the 820.

I'll check when she's back from her holiday (region I'm pretty sure was set to UK), as for NFC, it's build into the 820 so there is no plate needed for it, it's only wireless charging which requires a different shell (which hers came with).

It's strange as if you search the Store on it for say Nokia Drive you can find it and download it, as well as the rest of the apps Nokia offer.

My battery is draining like no ones business today. I Charged my 920 on the charge pad last night took it off around 9am and by 3p it was almost drained, and I was hardly dong anything with it. I know there was an update the other day for some of the Nokia system apps, but is anyone else having battery issues all of a sudden?

My fourth 920 has amazing battery life compared with the other 3 I returned. Sorry, I was just always jealous of people with good battery life when I had those first three phones, so I gotta brag about this one when I get the chance.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My battery life is atrocious but I know why: at&t is having massive problems in my area and its causing my phone to always look for signal. Everyone on the island is having battery life issues.

My battery life is atrocious but I know why: at&t is having massive problems in my area and its causing my phone to always look for signal. Everyone on the island is having battery life issues.

You are back!

Anyway, what Van said, this is number one battery killers. Poor reception. I have really good reception at work and my phone is at 80-70% at the end of the night with light usage.

ReconPeon

I noticed that when I receive a call and the phone starts vibrating it makes a very loud rattling noise. Is this normal, or should I exchange it?

ReconPeon

Oh, I just read earlier in the thread that other people had the same rattling issues with their phone, so I'm thinking its just due to the material the phone is made of rather than being an actual issue. I'm going to go by att after work and see what they say, but if the display phones do the same thing and it seems commonplace, then I will just keep this phone and stop worrying about it.

Was also experiencing an issue where the battery drained very quickly, three hours in my case, but powering it off fixed it and It's back to lasting a good while on standby. Quite enjoying this phone and windows phone 8 but I have to admit that anything is a substantial upgrade to the four year old blackberry device I'd been using. One thing I can't understate is how beautiful it is, physically and aesthetically. Still a joy to pick up weeks later.

One thing I still don't understand though, how do you close an application? I thought it was pressing back quickly two times but doing so in the IE app just went back through all the pages. Is there a quicker way?

Troll

Banned
IE will close itself only after you go back through all the pages.

Yeah, I know.

If you have a bunch of pages, you can just open a blank tab and close the one you were using, then go back to the blank tab and hit back once...

Yeah, I know.

If you have a bunch of pages, you can just open a blank tab and close the one you were using, then go back to the blank tab and hit back once...

Yeah, I know.

Seems like a rather bizarre thing for them not to consider but thanks for this tip! Was hitting back for around 15 seconds earlier today to close it. Lack of an X(close) option in the multi-tasking screen is just nonsensical. Is there any sort of design limitation that prevents that from being an option?

Troll

Banned
They really should have a way to close apps. Do like a reverse WebOS termination command, instead of flipping the card up off the page we can pull it down! It will be just like closing an app on Windows 8.

much easier than having a single task manager like pull down with the option to kill running apps.

I want both.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
They really should have a way to close apps. Do like a reverse WebOS termination command, instead of flipping the card up off the page we can pull it down! It will be just like closing an app on Windows 8.

Yeah, that would be great, paging Lastflowers!

Quikies83

I wasn't being serious. I thought that was obvious.
I also want a better way XBox Music to manage playlists.. I've had to give up Spotify premium in favor of their bullshit offering.. I can't wait to switch back to Spotify.
I really like the phone after having it 5 weeks, but I've put up with a lot shit with this transition.

Troll

Banned
I wasn't being serious. I thought that was obvious.
I also want a better way XBox Music to manage playlists.. I've had to give up Spotify premium in favor of their bullshit offering.. I can't wait to switch back to Spotify.
I really like the phone after having it 5 weeks, but I've put up with a lot shit with this transition.

I can't believe how badly they botched Xbox Music.

Zune :(

Yep, not being able to close apps from the multi-task screen is just baffling.

Hello there. Long time no post.

Heretic

I can't play a game and charge my phone at the same time. The charger can't keep up with how much battery the game is using. That's some major BS.

ReconPeon

Does anyone else notice a noise when they answer an incoming call. When I press answer, for about 3/4 of a second there is a weird dialing sound or something. Is it just my phone?

P.S.

What colors did everyone get?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yep, I hear that noise. It sounds like the ringtone, but remixed. I also get the small skip at the end of songs when listening to my Xbox cloud music.

Does anyone else notice a noise when they answer an incoming call. When I press answer, for about 3/4 of a second there is a weird dialing sound or something. Is it just my phone?

P.S.

What colors did everyone get?

Really wanted the yellow glossy but it was out of stock seemingly forever so I went with Cyan and I'm extremely glad I made that decision. Looks beautiful and considering I play my Vita with cloth in hand the yellow would have likely drove me insane. Just looks really classy yet stands out from most phones.

Haven't noticed the noise you mention, will listen for it the next time I get a call.

Lucifon

Picked up a black 920 here in the UK on Sunday, love the phone but there are certainly some niggles after switching from iOS. Wanted a white but 6 EE stores were all sold out of them! I'm happy I went with black though, the matte finish is great.

My battery life so far seems to be fine, yesterday was my first proper day of general use - occasional whatsapps, texts etc, some music listening in the car and at the gym, light internet use and twitter checking. That was down to about 20% after 12 hours which is what I was getting from my iPhone4 / a tiny bit better.

Today things seem to be improving i'm currently half way through the working day and on 90% however I haven't used it as much. But overall so far it's just as I expected and lasts the amount of time I'm comfortable with a modern smartphone lasting.

i bought an unlocked white 920 to use at CES and... broadly speaking, i like it. the hardware is really unbeatable to me — i love the heft and size and design and everything. the camera is somewhat disappointing in certain respects, but it also takes photos that other phones just flat-out cannot take so at least it's fun to use from that perspective. screen isn't the best out there but far better than most, and i can't complain about performance or battery life in the slightest.

unfortunately WP8 is still an incredibly unproductive OS, for what i do at least, so i couldn't use this as my daily driver (especially not in japan). but it is beautiful both inside and out, and for those who don't really need their phones for work, i can see why you'd fall in love with the 920. even including the previous lumias and N9, this is the most complete yet — there's not really anything like it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I use my phone for work and a part time job as well and it has worked far better than my previous phones, but I suppose it depends on your tasks. Mine requires office and email/texts and calendar, and the OS does all of those really well.

I use my phone for work and a part time job as well and it has worked far better than my previous phones, but I suppose it depends on your tasks. Mine requires office and email/texts and calendar, and the OS does all of those really well.

yeah, if office is a big part of your work day then obviously windows phone will work out better than competitors there. but mine requires pretty much every google service there is (docs/cal/drive/mail/reader/contacts etc), which WP is just flat-out terrible at supporting — i can't even archive mail or reply to a conversation without breaking the thread and annoying everyone else. next to things like collaborative editing of google docs on an android phone, WP's google "support" is painful. not all of this is microsoft's fault, but a good deal of it is.

the multitasking limitations are also a big drawback when i'm out reporting and relying on a mobile connection. i need to be able to log into an IRC channel and talk to people, for example, but windows phone cuts you off if the phone goes to sleep — i can't even maintain a wi-fi connection (though granted, that should be fixed in an update soon).

and whatever some people say, WP8 really, really needs a notification centre. apps like groupme are great, but it's a pain to have to go into the app and check individual threads to see everyone who's messaged me — live tiles only go so far, and they're basically useless for messaging and social networking apps where you often have several notifications stacking up.

i like the basic user experience of WP probably better than anything else, i just find it a lot harder to actually get things done on it. a lot of the niggles really would not be that difficult to fix, and i assumed they would've been seeing as they're largely hangovers from WP7. but on-topic, the lumia 920 is nice enough hardware to make me want to work through its significant software flaws. if microsoft swallows its pride and decides to just make shit (IE support, google integration) work instead of taking a "principled" stand against whatever it's taking a stand against, i'll be super happy with windows phone. well, that and if developers start making apps for it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If your company is tied into google services, its obvious that android would work best. Its like a network effect. You are basically listing the strengths of android (notifications, google integration) and listing them as negatives for WP. Notifications are fair game (though I personally don't care), but it's unfair in a way to point to the services because google is artificially making their services more difficult to use in WP by not making apps available and blocking access to some features. Their right, but MS makes apps for android, including smartglass and SkyDrive etc.

Also, WP8 devices have groupme functionality basically built in now with the Rooms feature, but again, the best experience is when everyone has an Apollo device, so again network effect is key. Good impressions though, and your workflow and services is a good example on why ecosystems matter so much and why companies try so hard to lock you in.

the one thing i'd say is that apple made its email app work fine with gmail long before google started to support iOS with discrete apps. i think the onus is on microsoft to do everything it can to improve the windows phone experience for the not inconsiderable number of people who use google products; it's a shame for a phone as technically appealing as the lumia 920 to instantly turn off a huge section of its potential audience. google creating (or not) apps for windows is only one piece of the puzzle - microsoft could bake a lot of this stuff into the OS (card and calDAV being the obvious example).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Caldav and carddav support is coming, what additional steps do you think MS should take?

They wanted to make a YouTube app but Google denied them access to data. There is only so much one can do if the other side is unwilling. Google is dominant in this space and they are certainly acting like it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Mine hasn't rubbed off. I know the finish on the matte 900 did rub off a bit, but so far so good on my 920. Also, the metal plating on the camera strip is much, much more scratch resistant than the 900 strip. Nokia apparently improved hardware shell based on the 900.

Also,
pic_A5kZ_l.jpg

Patriotic red, white, and blue! Gorgeous devices, all the colors really. But I'd say white is the least attractive out of that bunch.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Mine hasn't rubbed off. I know the finish on the matte 900 did rub off a bit, but so far so good on my 920. Also, the metal plating on the camera strip is much, much more scratch resistant than the 900 strip. Nokia apparently improved hardware shell based on the 900.

Also,
pic_A5kZ_l.jpg

Patriotic red, white, and blue! Gorgeous devices, all the colors really. But I'd say white is the least attractive out of that bunch.

My black 920 is sad :(

Joking aside the matte on mine is fine, so far better than my 900 did, but I haven't had my current 920 very long yet.

Also the longer I have this phone the more I love it.

Also,
pic_A5kZ_l.jpg

While I'm glad that Nokia is moving on design wise ... they're all so pretty ...

Troll

Banned

Also,
pic_A5kZ_l.jpg

You have three now? $$$$$

I'm in an angry mood today so I thought I'd complain at the fact you have to use the Zune program to do anything with the Lumia 800. What a fucking shit, bloated piece of software that is. Do the 820 and 920 remedy this? Why the fuck do they not allow drag and drop when I'm using a Windows phone on a Windows OS?

Top Bottom