• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm actually upset that the Verge article said that a "true" Lumia pureview phone is coming from Nokia. They really never gave the 920 camera the respect I think it deserves. Its a generational leap in terms of low light performance, and holds its own with the very best phones out now in daylight, and it has a really wide angle lens that takes in a lot of information.

Main campus or Downtown?

I have a special someone that's at the Downtown campus.

I'm at main, been at main for a couple of years.

:D

I sync to my Lumia 820 using WMP12 as that is the only way I'm 100% sure of having cover art.

I was a Zune user pretty close to Day 1 and had my Zune Pass shortly thereafter and still have it today. Ive been able to completely avoid the desktop client.
So anything you download for keeps shows up as catalogged music and you can download on your phone. All my subscription stuff I just redownloaded on WIFI at home in bundles of albums on some downtime (at least the stuff I listen to)

I made this decision years ago when I got tired of adding album art, or messing with silly details as I jumped platform to platform. Pretty easy so far. Even the way old Zune client was flipping awesome for my music, IIRC you could rip a track then pick the album and it would auto label and add cover art to whatever you had.

Then again Im sure many programs do that, but I just decided to stick to the service formally known as Zune.

Long story short... subscription music is awesome.

-----

I want to like The Verge, but I just dont like Josh Topolsky, he comes off as smug, he tries to be fair and subjective but you can just feel and see the fanboy in him just wanting to bash the shit out of anything he doesnt like. I can appreciate that he usually keeps it at bay.

kharma45

My trip to Japan will certainly be better now. Dat Wi-Fi and camera polish mmmm.

I sent my Lumia 920 back there on Friday (had it on loan from Nokia, was supposed to be for 2 weeks but turned into around 7) and I knew when I did Portico would be just around the corner.

Good that they beat their February estimate but still fucking shite that they released it to AT&T back in December (I think) but took this long for the rest.

Our little family of Nokia Lumia

ssuezwa.jpg

My brother 920, my Red 920, my son 900, and my brother old Dark Knight 900 he is loaning to me while I am in Thailand since my Lumia is sim-lock. (att you suck, they said no unlock code until May).

My brother mainly use iPhone, the Lumia are just to play around with. He said many people here that got 900 are pretty burn by the in ability to upgrade to Windows Phone 8 and really killed any momentum the Lumia might have here. That is too bad as many in my family here are really curious about the Lumia. (All of my 10 cousins use iPhone, only one has the Galaxy Note). The GS3 and Note 2 are getting very popular here though and you can see Apple hold is really slipping.

Troll

Banned
Our little family of Nokia Lumia

ssuezwa.jpg

My brother 920, my Red 920, my son 900, and my brother old Dark Knight 900 he is loaning to me while I am in Thailand since my Lumia is sim-lock. (att you suck, they said no unlock code until May).

My brother mainly use iPhone, the Lumia are just to play around with. He said many people here that got 900 are pretty burn by the in ability to upgrade to Windows Phone 8 and really killed any momentum the Lumia might have here. That is too bad as many in my family here are really curious about the Lumia. (All of my 10 cousins use iPhone, only one has the Galaxy Note). The GS3 and Note 2 are getting very popular here though and you can see Apple hold is really slipping.

On the Cyan phone, is that a monkey riding a polar bear?

JimiNutz

Banned
Is there any way to record calls using a 920?

I tried to download a call recorder app from the store but it doesn't work (and reading through the reviews lots of people said that it didn't work with a 920).

I also just tried a regular voice recorder and stuck my phone on speaker, but that didn't work either and it only picked up my voice once I'd ended the call...

Lucius86

Banned
So, install took around 20 mins.

On reboot, my signal kept dropping for large amounts of time. I had to go into the phone settings and manually select my carrier. Now my signal is stable again.

Troll

Banned
So, install took around 20 mins.

On reboot, my signal kept dropping for large amounts of time. I had to go into the phone settings and manually select my carrier. Now my signal is stable again.

That's really strange. I wonder if one of our Microsoft guys can tell us what happened.

Lucius86

Banned
That's really strange. I wonder if one of our Microsoft guys can tell us what happened.

Yeah, was no biggy, and now its fine. Just a bit bizarre really.

Must admit I've hardly used my phone today, so can't comment what improvements I have had thus far. Though camera quality improvements is always a welcome change.

Totakeke

I'm actually upset that the Verge article said that a "true" Lumia pureview phone is coming from Nokia. They really never gave the 920 camera the respect I think it deserves. Its a generational leap in terms of low light performance, and holds its own with the very best phones out now in daylight, and it has a really wide angle lens that takes in a lot of information.

But what about us normal people?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Annoyed that expansys still hasn't received the lumia gel covers yet. I want my red one.

I just got my official Nokia Lumia gel cover....very disappointed. It looks great and fits perfectly, but it offers no screen protection at all. I can basically slide the phone on its screen across a table with the cover on. And really, the ONLY vulnerable part of the tank-like 920 is the screen. Given that I've already shattered the screen once (pics a few pages back), this case is not going to cut it for me. :'(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I just got my official Nokia Lumia gel cover....very disappointed. It looks great and fits perfectly, but it offers no screen protection at all. I can basically slide the phone on its screen across a table with the cover on. And really, the ONLY vulnerable part of the tank-like 920 is the screen. Given that I've already shattered the screen once (pics a few pages back), this case is not going to cut it for me. :'(

I plan on adding a screen protector (maybe ghost armor the screen) anyways. How is button access? Could you add some pics?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think a screen protector would help if you dropped your phone screen first. I'll post some pictures later.

Cool, thanks. I'm more concerned about scratches on the screen. I've been fortunate to have never dropped any of my WP's onto any hard surface or from any substantial height *knocks on wood*

The case is mostly to add some colour so fit is probably the most important thing.

MCD

You need something like a wallet case.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You need something like a wallet case.

I have one, but its bulky so I wanted something lighter that still offered some sort of protection if the phone fell screen first onto a hard surface. This isn't it.

schuey, the fit is perfect and button access is fine aside from the camera button, where having to keep it pressed to activate the camera is a little harder, but not a big deal.

NeOak

I have one, but its bulky so I wanted something lighter that still offered some sort of protection if the phone fell screen first onto a hard surface. This isn't it.

schuey, the fit is perfect and button access is fine aside from the camera button, where having to keep it pressed to activate the camera is a little harder, but not a big deal.

Why not get the Nokia wallet case for the 920?

Van, how stretchy is the Nokia Gel Case, would you be able to put on a different hard plastic case on the phone and then stretch the Gel Case over that?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Why not get the Nokia wallet case for the 920?

Link?

Van, how stretchy is the Nokia Gel Case, would you be able to put on a different hard plastic case on the phone and then stretch the Gel Case over that?

Its not like the cheap gel case you get for $3 on Amazon. Its very rigid and a very tight fit. Has a matte feel. Definitely couldn't fit anything under it, you'd have better luck trying a hard case over it, but I doubt it would work that way either.

PSGames

Does anyone know where our text messages are backed up? I bought a black 920 earlier this month but decided to swap to a Red one and for some reason not all of my text messages have come over. My windows live and facebook chat threads came over just fine. Weird.

zedge

Case looks good.

How is everyone's power button? Mine seems to be getting shallower and shallower, if that makes sense. Like it barely pushes in, worried it may just stop working.

75% of the 920s I have owned (lol) have had a power button that sticks out noticeably less than the volume and camera buttons. Hasn't affected performance.

zedge

75% of the 920s I have owned (lol) have had a power button that sticks out noticeably less than the volume and camera buttons. Hasn't affected performance.

Yes I agree, its just mine seems to be losing is springiness, and moves less then when I got it. (second one, first one was actually not like this)

zorbsie

Just checked expansys site for the red gel case. Looks like it's been pushed back to March 2nd now. I could have sworn it was February 1st midway through January.

Judging by Van's pics the fit looks perfect. I feel like I might pick up a couple colours to change it up from time to time. Cyan and red for sure.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just checked expansys site for the red gel case. Looks like it's been pushed back to March 2nd now. I could have sworn it was February 1st midway through January.

Judging by Van's pics the fit looks perfect. I feel like I might pick up a couple colours to change it up from time to time. Cyan and red for sure.

That's what I'm thinking as well. The date has been moving around.

I got a screen protector on my phone now. It's ok, I could see myself removing it at some point though.

Ragus

Banned
It's been a week since I've sent my 920 to a repair service. Fuck, I'm starting to miss having a phone with a big screen.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This is gonna sound dumb and extremely fanboyish, but the 920 is such a gorgeous device that I still pick it up every day and just stare at it for a bit. And I've had it since November. I own it in cyan, which makes it extra stunning, and I just like to take it out the case and feel the matte finish. Nokia is right up there with Apple in terms of making covetous hardware, I can't wait until we see their next design at MWC. I have no idea how they can top this current n9/800/900/920 family of phones.

jgkspsx

Yeah, so Nokia Music doesn't have anything from Sub Pop. They don't have anything from a lot of labels, actually. Don't think that's gonna work. Xbox Music is a ridiculous disaster. Google Music is obviously not coming (is there a third party app that is not a phishing scam?). Amazon Cloud Player shows no sign of coming. This is looking pretty grim, guys.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Xbox Music fits my needs in terms of catalog, and the wife uses Nokia Music and hasn't complained, but our needs probably aren't as niche as yours. For Google Music, I used gooroovster and that worked ok. Haven't used it in a long time though. I have all my music uploaded to Google and it picked up all my songs.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This is gonna sound dumb and extremely fanboyish, but the 920 is such a gorgeous device that I still pick it up every day and just stare at it for a bit. And I've had it since November. I own it in cyan, which makes it extra stunning, and I just like to take it out the case and feel the matte finish. Nokia is right up there with Apple in terms of making covetous hardware, I can't wait until we see their next design at MWC. I have no idea how they can top this current n9/800/900/920 family of phones.

I'm with you and I had to settle for a black device. Love it!

Top Bottom