• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

dLMN8R

The curved screen on the 920 is my favorite part. When it's sitting on my desk, it makes it look smooth, clean, and rock-solid no matter how many fingerprints are actually on it.

zedge

It really is a nice looking piece of hardware.

Too bad it doesn't have android on it..

Im kidding... that was my lame Verge joke

NeOak

It really is a nice looking piece of hardware.

Too bad it doesn't have android on it..

Im kidding... that was my lame Verge joke

2828484845_78c3e533aa_o.gif

hwalker84

Yeah, so Nokia Music doesn't have anything from Sub Pop. They don't have anything from a lot of labels, actually. Don't think that's gonna work. Xbox Music is a ridiculous disaster. Google Music is obviously not coming (is there a third party app that is not a phishing scam?). Amazon Cloud Player shows no sign of coming. This is looking pretty grim, guys.

For my wife Xbox Music is absolutely amazing. She's from Togo and somehow they have all the African music she listens to or could never find.

Well that sucks, I thought it was on WP7, no?

I really like the Lumia and WM, but the lack of apps that I actually do use is kind of a killer for me.

he was splitting hairs, windows mobile != windows phone. there is a windows phone 7 version, and there will be a windows phone 8 version, but no windows mobile version

Well that sucks, I thought it was on WP7, no?

I really like the Lumia and WM, but the lack of apps that I actually do use is kind of a killer for me.

He's messing with you, because you keep calling Windows Phone "Windows Mobile".

Spotify has a Windows Phone 7 app and an update of that app for Windows Phone 8 is in development.

Ok I'm seriusly considering the 920. I've had iPhones the past 4 years and i'm just sick of iOS. Staring at the boring little squares that do NOTHING after all these years. I was messing with my friends new android phone and just liking the sizeable/live tiles and icons. But I really don't like the way the Galaxy SIII looks. I know SIV is soon but no one knows.

Anyways, I figure I can get about $500 off ebay for my iPhone 5 and Lumia 920 is only $450 from AT&T.

My questions:

- Is there anything on this phone that is similar to what you do with an iPhone as far as plugging it into your computer and syncing it with stored music on your computer?
- How is the phone "Backed up" in case its lost or stolen
- What software is used to manage the phone on the computer?
- I'm not too too worried about apps, but is it that bad? Like is there official NFL apps and stuff? Or when the PGA masters rolls around in April there is an official Masters app on iPhone that you can stream live video. Any chance of them making something like that for Windows Phone?
- I saw somethign mentioned somewhere about slow updates to social live tiles? Can you customize how often they update?
- How customizable are the tiles other than location/size on screen?

Thanks guys.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ok I'm seriusly considering the 920. I've had iPhones the past 4 years and i'm just sick of iOS. Staring at the boring little squares that do NOTHING after all these years. I was messing with my friends new android phone and just liking the sizeable/live tiles and icons. But I really don't like the way the Galaxy SIII looks. I know SIV is soon but no one knows.

Anyways, I figure I can get about $500 off ebay for my iPhone 5 and Lumia 920 is only $450 from AT&T.

My questions:

- Is there anything on this phone that is similar to what you do with an iPhone as far as plugging it into your computer and syncing it with stored music on your computer?
- How is the phone "Backed up" in case its lost or stolen
- What software is used to manage the phone on the computer?
- I'm not too too worried about apps, but is it that bad? Like is there official NFL apps and stuff? Or when the PGA masters rolls around in April there is an official Masters app on iPhone that you can stream live video. Any chance of them making something like that for Windows Phone?
- I saw somethign mentioned somewhere about slow updates to social live tiles? Can you customize how often they update?
- How customizable are the tiles other than location/size on screen?

Thanks guys.

I will try to answer these as best I can:

- There is desktop sync app, which can sync your iTunes libraries. It is pretty simple at the moment, but it should do the trick. Windows Media Player also sync's your music.
-There is a backup function that saves your phones settings, texts and app list to the cloud, but not game saves and in app settings. From your PC if you have find my phone on you can reset it.
-As mentioned earlier there is a desktop sync app as well as Windows 8 app. Both are basically in beta still.
-I think there are some good NFL apps and Nokia also has a really nice official PGA app in their collection. Not sure about the live streaming though.
-I don't usually get a lot of social updates, but notifications can appear on your Me Tile or on the Facebook tile. The People Hub is also a great way to check your Facebook and Twitter quickly and without clutter.
- You have the 3 tile sizes and the theme colour option. There are many apps that have excellent live tiles such as Weatherflow and TVShow. Apps can also have live information on your lockscreen, such as weather.

Maybe others can fill in my mistakes or things I may have missed.

Nander

Spotify will never have a Windows Mobile app.

He's messing with you, because you keep calling Windows Phone "Windows Mobile".

Spotify has a Windows Phone 7 app and an update of that app for Windows Phone 8 is in development.

And there is actually a Spotify app for Windows Mobile. I was using it on my Samsung Omnia Pro. So it wasn't much of a joke really.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-10/04/spotify-arrives-on-windows-mobile

I will try to answer these as best I can:

- There is desktop sync app, which can sync your iTunes libraries. It is pretty simple at the moment, but it should do the trick. Windows Media Player also sync's your music.
-There is a backup function that saves your phones settings, texts and app list to the cloud, but not game saves and in app settings. From your PC if you have find my phone on you can reset it.
-As mentioned earlier there is a desktop sync app as well as Windows 8 app. Both are basically in beta still.
-I think there are some good NFL apps and Nokia also has a really nice official PGA app in their collection. Not sure about the live streaming though.
-I don't usually get a lot of social updates, but notifications can appear on your Me Tile or on the Facebook tile. The People Hub is also a great way to check your Facebook and Twitter quickly and without clutter.
- You have the 3 tile sizes and the theme colour option. There are many apps that have excellent live tiles such as Weatherflow and TVShow. Apps can also have live information on your lockscreen, such as weather.

Maybe others can fill in my mistakes or things I may have missed.

Thanks for taking the time out.

A part of me wants to wait to see what Apple does with iOS 7, but thats not till June. And I would think that they HAVE to do something with live tiles or more customization to the OS. Right now its so boring.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
And there is actually a Spotify app for Windows Mobile. I was using it on my Samsung Omnia Pro. So it wasn't much of a joke really.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-10/04/spotify-arrives-on-windows-mobile

I actually thought there might be, but I just didn't care to search the web for WM app availability. Thanks for checking up on that, the poster can go use the Spotify app on their brand new.......whatever model WM device they are thinking of buying.

Thanks for taking the time out.

A part of me wants to wait to see what Apple does with iOS 7, but thats not till June. And I would think that they HAVE to do something with live tiles or more customization to the OS. Right now its so boring.

I left the iPhone out of pure boredom.....3 years ago this month. I look back at it, and Apple still hasn't done enough to iOS for me to consider going back after three long years where Android has grown so much and MS has launched Windows Phone twice, plus RT and Win8, all pretty good mobile OS'. Love the Apple devices, hate the software. I have an iPad though, just cause iOS apps are mostly on a league of their own. Like the PGA majors apps you were asking about; No way we get that on windows phone, so I get them on my iPad. The PGA app from Nokia is fine, but no live stream.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I prefer Sonic CD over Monkey Ball. Plays great on my 920. Pure Motion HD+ is like blast processing.

Also my buddy showed me his LG Optimus 7 running 7.8. Looks good. Zune 7.8 live tile>>>>>Xbox Music live tile. It annoys me that the last artist played doesn't stay on the tile in WP8.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
My unlocked Rogers lumia 920 with every bandwidth known to man is coming next week. Switched to T-mobile for the 30 a month plan(unlimited data and text, 100 min talk) - but the MHz upgrade hasn't hit my area yet. I am sick of paying $100 a month for terrible phone coverage with AT&T, plus I never use my minutes(I have 5k in rollover minutes). I am also bored with IOS and am looking forward to windows os and I almost never use apps beyond the basics so I won't miss the selection.

Does anyone else actually really like the speaker on the 920?

Things that my 920 speaker performs better than:
My old iPhone 4
My wife's iPhone 5
My bluetooth-> RF car adapter
The portable speaker my wife insisted on buying to listen to music on her iPod while she lies on the couch despite the $2000 stereo system five feet in front of her

jgkspsx

I had to uninstall the Xbox version of Sonic CD to get this version. Is there a QR Code for SMB?

Sucks that they don't have Xbox functionality. I'd prefer a dollar discount to the Xbox version.

jgkspsx

Got the black OEM case and an armorsuit screen protector. Seems nice so far, but a bit scary to get the case on. Still waiting on my cyan case.

Gadirok

I've had a 710 and although I know this thread is aimed for the other models, anything cool I can do with my 710 besides the NES emulator and nokia drive (which I just tried out today after I finished my internship which involved alot of frustration with driving and no gps, doh!).

I'm enjoying Dragon's blade but the leveling scaling got to me eventually on the game just to turn it off and never go back to it. In one of the battle arenas, as soon as you breeze through the first three rounds you are pitted against a enemy that can one hit ko each of your party members one at a time. SO much for a level 22 battle arena.

So yeah, what can I do with a 710?

jgkspsx

the istabilizer XL is out. will work great with the 920, even if you have a case.

mount-xl-1.jpg

Just ordered this... and I seem to have gotten a second one for free? I added two to my cart by accident, and noticed a $20 credit applied. I checked out with it and paid via paypal and everything.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Bought this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A45JQEC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gives my Red Lumia a nice matte feel now, no more slip. Slightly dulls the color, but I think that is just blue jean rub off and dirt. I had the screen protector on, but I didn't care for the feel of it, the naked screen feels so much better to use.

Yeah, I have a screen protector on and I don't really like the way it feels. Got paranoid after I got a scratch though. I will keep it on for a while but will probably rip it off at some point.

Top Bottom