• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Chiggs

Gold Member
My free wireless charger bit the dust. It no longer charges the phone. I can't believe I went through so much shit just to get it.

jgkspsx

I like my Lumia 920 a lot, but I found this article pretty true (and surprising that some of this still isn't in the OS): http://www.wpcentral.com/8-things-microsoft-needs-fix-windows-phone-8

Overall, the OS is smooth, and everyone who uses my phone is impressed by it, but there are a lot of improvements that need to be made.
Don't give a crap about instagram and don't see a future in multiscreen gaming (except maybe the WiiU), but until 1, 4, 6, and 7 are fixed it is really hard to recommend WP8 to the general public. It does a lot right, but those omissions (most of which webOS had in 2009) are just embarrassing.

This list is missing quick wifi/bt/airplane mode/brightness switches, which need to be somewhere like the notification center.

Tekniqs

so now that i found out another phone isn't coming to my carrier...i'm back on the lumia trail..due for an upgrade middle of next month, march 14th. Is it at all possible to get that upgrade at the start of march?

thirty

Banned
GF needs a new phone as she's out of contract next month. Was gonna get her a 620 but I think I'll wait til MWC as I might give her my 920 for that EOS.

ReconPeon

I had the 920, but being OCD as shit about scratches, I switched to the 820 because of its interchangeable shells. It feels soooooo much better in my hand. I really really like it. At first their was no competition between it and the 920, but now I actually prefer it. Feels like the perfect size.

Tekniqs

so apparently nokia is planning on adding the 41mp camera to the 920/820 line this summer? any truth to this? if so, that's kinda shitty for early adopters of the phone

GCX

so apparently nokia is planning on adding the 41mp camera to the 920/820 line this summer? any truth to this? if so, that's kinda shitty for early adopters of the phone
I doubt they're able to fit the whole 41mp sensor just yet but yeah, there's been rumors that the next flagship will have a "true Pureview camera" whatever that means.

Mobile technology refreshes at a pretty damn fast rate. No matter what you're never going to have the absolute best phone for a very long time, so it doesn't make sense to get bothered over something like that. All I really care about is that my 920 performs a hell of a lot better than my old iPhone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I agree that it makes no sense being upset cause a company releases a better phone than the one you bought, but it also depends on the timing. In the case of the 920, it had and continues to have supply shortages and I feel Nokia should stick with it as a flagship until at least the Fall, given how well it has been received. They should focus on expanding availability, carriers, and markets for the 920 then announce the successor in the late summer and release it early Fall. Follow the Apple and Samsung models for flagship phones, while also emulating Samsung in releasing different form factor skus and low cost alternatives throughout the year.

NeOak

You forgot that Nokia used to launch products in different form factors too

- Portrait qwerty (E6, E71, E72)
- Landscape qwerty (E7, N97, E90)

Technology is evolving. I'm sure Nokia would have put that sensor in the 920 if it was possible. Added to that, you don't know what form factor the upgraded Lumias with 41MP will be in. Also, by summer early adopter would have owned the handset for at least half a year.

Retrocide

Samsung is doing pretty well with its dual flagship strategy, every 6 months either a Galaxy S or a Note launches. It could work.

The Smartphone market is in the same position PC's were in 10 years ago, constantly evolving with more advanced and new tech becoming cheaper by the day. Until we hit the Smartphone's version of 2009 this will keep on happening. Give it a few years.

Ragus

Banned
I just got my 920 back. They've replaced the motherboard, as the first one was supposed to cause all those problems which I had.

I didn't expect it, but they have also replaced backlight of software buttons (they thought that those were too yellowish) and they did something with my vibration, as it doesn't rattle as it used too.

I just pray, that this time, I won't have those fucking freezes. Let the testing begin. Wish me luck ;).

It was probably my fault but my screen is already scratched. I never put anything else in the pocket that my phone is in and I've yet to drop this thing. I baby it more than the iPhone I had.

I have no idea where these scratches came from; they're shallow enough that I don't feel them with my fingers if I run them across the scratches but I can feel them with my fingernails.

Was the iPhone's glass thicker or something? Also, could I file an insurance claim for this? I wouldn't mind dropping cash for the deductible; I'm anal about this stuff.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also, by summer early adopter would have owned the handset for at least half a year.

Yep, 7 months by May if you bought the phone at launch. Although like I said, it simply hasn't had enough time to shine with limited supply, carriers, and markets. It could be the flagship well into Fall, I doubt Samsung and HTC will release anything that makes this phone obsolete before then, but we'll see. Octo core processors and 1080p screens aren't going to make the 920 seem old, they'll need to have other innovations.

thirty

Banned
Anyone know where I can order the Nokia cc-1043 case here in the US? Amazon emailed me and said they expect to have them in stock in April? EBay has a UK seller but that can take weeks.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
It was probably my fault but my screen is already scratched. I never put anything else in the pocket that my phone is in and I've yet to drop this thing. I baby it more than the iPhone I had.

I have no idea where these scratches came from; they're shallow enough that I don't feel them with my fingers if I run them across the scratches but I can feel them with my fingernails.

Was the iPhone's glass thicker or something? Also, could I file an insurance claim for this? I wouldn't mind dropping cash for the deductible; I'm anal about this stuff.

I have a few like this at the very top of the phone so fortunately they do not creep onto the screen. I assume it is from just grit in my pockets and then it gets scratched when taking it out of my pocket. Put a folding case on my phone now and have not had a new scratch since.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Was the iPhone's glass thicker or something?

Nope, its just (bad) luck. A sand particle or some other foreign object scratched your glass through sheer chance, while it just didn't happen with your iPhone. Go into the iPhone 5 thread, or the 4/4s threads (or any phone thread really) and you'll see plenty of people with the same problem, having no clue how their phone got scratched. Its random and I'm like you, I hate it and I can't deal with a scratch once I see it. Its worth a shot to call up the insurance and see what they say.

Its just random, my 920 fell hard on the floor twice with nary a bump until my son dropped it less than 3 feet and the screen shattered. The angle and the cosmic forces of the universe were simply aligned wrong that third time.

Troll

Banned
Just listened to the newest Android Central podcast. They talked about WP a little bit and one of the guys called it a "horrible OS". I guess they are having problems with getting emails really late? Then they really start complaining about the most ridiculous shit, seriously if you want to hear it skip to the 20 min mark. It's full of fuck.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just listened to the newest Android Central podcast. They talked about WP a little bit and one of the guys called it a "horrible OS". I guess they are having problems with getting emails really late? Then they really start complaining about the most ridiculous shit, seriously if you want to hear it skip to the 20 min mark. It's full of fuck.

Just reading your post about it annoys me enough.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
OMG at Jerry, lol.

Edit: it actually wasn't bad at all. Dude whined about not getting push email I guess, and someone went "lol, explorer" without giving reasons why it sucks, but overall the one guy likes using the 8x, liked Facebook and Twitter on it and the only real complaint was that email thing.

I think hating the platform is getting more difficult. It may not be your preferred phone OS, but certainly folks are seeing that its fully capable and even superior in some respects to other platforms.

I have a few like this at the very top of the phone so fortunately they do not creep onto the screen. I assume it is from just grit in my pockets and then it gets scratched when taking it out of my pocket. Put a folding case on my phone now and have not had a new scratch since.

Nope, its just (bad) luck. A sand particle or some other foreign object scratched your glass through sheer chance, while it just didn't happen with your iPhone. Go into the iPhone 5 thread, or the 4/4s threads (or any phone thread really) and you'll see plenty of people with the same problem, having no clue how their phone got scratched. Its random and I'm like you, I hate it and I can't deal with a scratch once I see it. Its worth a shot to call up the insurance and see what they say.

Its just random, my 920 fell hard on the floor twice with nary a bump until my son dropped it less than 3 feet and the screen shattered. The angle and the cosmic forces of the universe were simply aligned wrong that third time.

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought that's what it might be. Any suggestions on a folding case?

Sucks to hear about your phone. : That reminds me about the time a girl I used to date's one year old pulled my MacBook Pro off of the couch and it fell on an empty bowl that was next to the couch.

Except the MBP sliced the bowl in half.

Chiggs

Gold Member

The email thing is true, unfortunately. It's my one complaint with the OS.

zedge

The Android central guys are pretty good. At least they try out and even own other phones/platforms. More than I can say about buddy on wpcentral. He's such a homer. :p

Subitai

I guess 822 users like me get the shaft, no free games for us :(
It+s+fine.+Bro+hug+_83a4232a840a808dd586956d3f1307ab.jpg

I still like my white 822. Couldn't wait any longer to upgrade from my dumb phone. Hopefully an awesome Lumia 952 Lazer will be waiting at Verizon for us in 21 months.

They gonna get pressured by HTC in this area.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/5/3953900/htc-m7-camera-tease-nokia-pureview-insult

Top Bottom