• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Troll

Banned
The "always on - no used games" rumor is silly. What happens when Live goes down for a week? Can't even play games offline? I think that Microsoft knows better than to do that plus alienate countries, areas and families that don't have internet. There was a rumor about the PS4 eliminating used games too that fizzled pretty quick once people started to think about it. A much smarter way to fight the "problem" this rumor targets would be for Microsoft and Sony to embrace digital distribution of their new releases and honestly that's waaay more likely to happen.

Subitai

It's possible. I also don't like the approach they're heading with gaming in general. Sony has more first party titles. Seriously, I have my phone and laptop for entertainment and streaming videos, I want my console to play games.

But once again, that can change if they announce those 4 new IPs to be good and dismiss the rumors.
I think MS may not make it mandatory and leave it to publishers to decide which games they sell will use a code only on a sort of sliding scale. In which case they can afford to lose money on 1st party resales where 3rd parties can't as much. I'd also guess it would be tied to having a gold account or something. I mean, certain games like CoD or GTA will probably be able make customers hold their nose, but other games like DA or Borderlands won't implement it because they can't afford to. And, that's probably the compromise Sony will enable for publishers as well.

What sucks is the always on internet. If your comcast/verizon/centurylink goes down you can't do anything. I know it's just rumors, but I think that is what could really hurt MS next round.

The "always on - no used games" rumor is silly. What happens when Live goes down for a week? Can't even play games offline? I think that Microsoft knows better than to do that plus alienate countries, areas and families that don't have internet. There was a rumor about the PS4 eliminating used games too that fizzled pretty quick once people started to think about it. A much smarter way to fight the "problem" this rumor targets would be for Microsoft and Sony to embrace digital distribution of their new releases and honestly that's waaay more likely to happen.

this

zorbsie

Thanks guys. I didn't know there was an imgur app. Going to download that now.

testing now...

Yes works. Thanks everyone. Got rid of the image. Too tall and off topic.

Quikies83

Testing

redir

hmmmm I thought I remembered this working.. no matter - just open image in new tab.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm actually disappointed that I can't use the 3DS stylus to play Draw Something on my 920. I've seen videos of it working with a knife and other random objects, why not the stylus?

I'm pay as you go 'cause I rarely make calls or even text. I have a ZTE Blade at the moment which I mainly use for twitter/YouTube/music/mail. Considering the Lumia 800 as a replacement because the ZTE's charging port is almost faulty. Got it for £70 so no biggy.

Is the Lumia 800 an okay phone? It's kinda at the top end of my price range at around £130. Haven't had the chance to try one in store. Was thinking of just getting another cheap Android but I like the look of the Lumia.

I'm pay as you go 'cause I rarely make calls or even text. I have a ZTE Blade at the moment which I mainly use for twitter/YouTube/music/mail. Considering the Lumia 800 as a replacement because the ZTE's charging port is almost faulty. Got it for £70 so no biggy.

Is the Lumia 800 an okay phone? It's kinda at the top end of my price range at around £130. Haven't had the chance to try one in store. Was thinking of just getting another cheap Android but I like the look of the Lumia.

You should get the Lumia 620 for 150. It's better in every way.

Booser

Anyone else had a problem with their 800 freezing during podcasts? I got a piece of jean fluff stuck in the headphone jack yesterday. I had to fish it out with a needle. I assumed I fucked up the jack hence the freezing, but I've been playing music on it for the past hour or so and its fine now. Maybe the podcadt episodes themselves were corrupt?

The app I was using was PODCASTS! But I've found a similar but better one called Podcast Lounge. Haven't tried any downloaded episodes on it yet though.

Prez

The Lumia 620 is €259 here which is the most I'm willing to spend on a new smartphone. Is it worth it? I got my first smartphone (LG C660) just before Christmas and I could use something a little better. I can't run most apps because of the low memory and screen resolution, though I love the physical keyboard. Not too happy with Android either.

maeh2k

The Lumia 620 is €259 here which is the most I'm willing to spend on a new smartphone. Is it worth it? I got my first smartphone (LG C660) just before Christmas and I could use something a little better. I can't run most apps because of the low memory and screen resolution, though I love the physical keyboard. Not too happy with Android either.

The 620 is great and all articles I've seen were very positive. If I were looking for a new phone, I'd probably buy one myself. Here's the engadget review: http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/07/nokia-lumia-620-review/

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Getting a 920 as my work phone from my employer. I've never actually had Windows phone before but I'm interested in seeing how they function since I've been hearing lots of good things.

Germany, by chance?

I'm seriously considering the 620, too. But one thing that came to my mind: Isn't there this conference event thingy later this month? Does anyone know if price drops are to be expected, what with new models getting revealed and all that?

dLMN8R

Is there something wrong with my 920? As time has gone on, it seems like it's been getting more and more difficult to take sharp outdoor pictures. Portico helped, but it's regressed since then.

I've tried to keep the camera lens clean using a good lens wipe, but maybe that's making things worse?

Here's a pic I tool this weekend outdoors. All camera settings were set to Auto: http://i.imgur.com/Ah5TOrG.jpg

So blurry, even zoomed-out in a small window :-(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is there something wrong with my 920? As time has gone on, it seems like it's been getting more and more difficult to take sharp outdoor pictures. Portico helped, but it's regressed since then.

I've tried to keep the camera lens clean using a good lens wipe, but maybe that's making things worse?

Here's a pic I tool this weekend outdoors. All camera settings were set to Auto: http://i.imgur.com/Ah5TOrG.jpg

So blurry, even zoomed-out in a small window :-(

Weird. I took a bunch of pics this weekend outside and it was great. There is the odd time where a pic is blurry, but I will take another right away. Your Focus-Assist light is on as well right?

dLMN8R

Normally I keep it off since it doesn't seem to help - especially for an outdoors shot. Should I leave it on?

I wonder if it's the lens cleaner/wipe thingie I'm using...

Troll

Banned
Normally I keep it off since it doesn't seem to help - especially for an outdoors shot. Should I leave it on?

I wonder if it's the lens cleaner/wipe thingie I'm using...

Use rubbing alcohol with a new wipe thing if you have residue built up on the lens.

kazinova

I cannot find a decent case for my 920, Amazon is perpetually out of stock of the grey Nokia made case. Anyone found a good fitting case, I have a floppy, neon green, POS on in the meantime.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I cannot find a decent case for my 920, Amazon is perpetually out of stock of the grey Nokia made case. Anyone found a good fitting case, I have a floppy, neon green, POS on in the meantime.

He has the grey in stock. I would get on it fast though.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/2-Buy-A/_i.html?_nkw=lumia+920&submit=Search&_sid=228863027

Edit: He also sells battery covers. Wonder how hard it would be for someone to replace who knows what they are doing to replace the body?

zorbsie

Wait is he selling replacement shells for the 920? I so want the red one. But how does one replace it? Is it just held together with those 2 torx screws at the bottom?

Top Bottom