• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

OMG at Jerry, lol.

Edit: it actually wasn't bad at all. Dude whined about not getting push email I guess, and someone went "lol, explorer" without giving reasons why it sucks, but overall the one guy likes using the 8x, liked Facebook and Twitter on it and the only real complaint was that email thing.

I think hating the platform is getting more difficult. It may not be your preferred phone OS, but certainly folks are seeing that its fully capable and even superior in some respects to other platforms.

After using One X for about a week, I have to said if I was force to go Android, I probably could live with it. However, I don't think it is that superior to Windows Phone. The One X was the international version, battery was abysmal, and there seems to be many random errors. It has the worst time getting location. Notification center is nice but to me it's not a deal breaker and sometimes I find it annoying to have so many things in there that I don't care to know about at the moment. It is updated to 4.0.1 but does have the silly Sense UI on top so I don't know if sometimes sluggishness is because of Sense or just because it's Android.

After hanging out with my family for about a week and they all use iPhone (or Samsung Androids), the one thing Microsoft really need to fix is the apps. There are just so much more apps on those two platforms. And I can see it as a deal breaker for many. Their version of Angry Birds Star Wars already have so many update including Hoth and ROTJ expansion, they also got the latest games and apps. It is chicken and egg but I think Microsoft could do a lot more in bringing apps to Windows Phone.

zedge

After using One X for about a week, I have to said if I was force to go Android, I probably could live with it. However, I don't think it is that superior to Windows Phone. The One X was the international version, battery was abysmal, and there seems to be random errors. It have the worst time getting location. Notification center is nice but to me it's not a deal breaker and sometimes I find it annoying to have so many things in there that I don't care to know about at the moment. It is updated to 4.0.1 but does have the silly Sense UI on top so I don't know if sometimes sluggishness is because of Sense or just because it's Android.

After hanging out with my family for about a week and they all use iPhone (or Samsung Androids), the one thing Microsoft really need to fix is the apps. There are just so much more apps on those two platforms. And I can see it as a deal breaker for many. Their version of Angry Birds Star Wars already have so many update including Hoth and ROTJ expansion, they also got the latest games and apps. It is chicken and egg but I think Microsoft could do a lot more in bringing apps to Windows Phone.
You are correct, its all about the eco system. How long ago did ms announce those gameloft games? BB Z10 launched and already has some of them. Asphalt 7 and another I believe. Not earth shattering buy still. I wouldn't be surprised if bb10 gets instagram before WP.

thirty

Banned
Nokia's been posting a few articles about graphene via facebook/twitter. I wonder if those rumored aluminum "thin" 920 variations are actually graphene and not aluminum.

It+s+fine.+Bro+hug+_83a4232a840a808dd586956d3f1307ab.jpg

I still like my white 822. Couldn't wait any longer to upgrade from my dumb phone. Hopefully an awesome Lumia 952 Lazer will be waiting at Verizon for us in 21 months.

They gonna get pressured by HTC in this area.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/5/3953900/htc-m7-camera-tease-nokia-pureview-insult

by HTC LZR MAX DROID PLUS SUPER PLUS HD MAX X-TREME DLUX RZRRZRZRBACK?

Chiggs

Gold Member
So, it turns out my Lumia 920's wireless charging capability is no more. I have no idea why, and now I'm exchanging my second device in 90 days. Build quality is highly suspect on these phones.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
So, it turns out my Lumia 920's wireless charging capability is no more. I have no idea why, and now I'm exchanging my second device in 90 days. Build quality is highly suspect on these phones.

Mines built like a tank. No problems here.

Zizbuka

Banned
Returned my Lumia 920 today, for an S3. I won't argue against someone preferring WP8, but for me it was almost as boring as iOS. The newness lasted a couple of weeks, but after that it was just there. The live tiles were disappointing, and of course the lack of apps was an issue.

Sorry Lumia lovers, I just couldn't get into it.

zedge

Returned my Lumia 920 today, for an S3. I won't argue against someone preferring WP8, but for me it was almost as boring as iOS. The newness lasted a couple of weeks, but after that it was just there. The live tiles were disappointing, and of course the lack of apps was an issue.

I have both so its ok. :D

WP is not for everyone.

I can't find anyone that sells the CP-600 case. Any ideas?

I found some other flip cases, but they're all 3rd party, should it matter?

I don't think they are available yet, like many of Nokia accessories, they seems to be trickle out.

I got 3rd party one (I think I post the pic in the WP8 thread). It's ok, not great but does the job.

You make it sound like S3 UI is not just as boring Android is just mash up iOS, though I won't argue with you about the app selection. Actually I think I am going to just pick up Nexus 7 and use as portable gaming. I was going to get iPad but Nexus 7 is cheaper, smaller and readily available.

edit: Never mind on that Nexus 7, so many returns complain and shitty experience with the devices now. I guess mini iPad it is for portable gaming.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Aaaaaaand I got a scratch on my screen. Completely random, have no idea how it got there. Its not big, but it will bug me every day until I get a new phone :'(

I was thinking about getting this one.

I tried that one when I was in Thailand (while accessories for 920 are rare at least they are available there unlike in the Us where you have to order everything on-line and hope for the best). It's OK case, the fit aren't great like many of the cheap Chinese products but it does the job.

zedge

You make it sound like S3 UI is not just as boring Android is just mash up iOS, though I won't argue with you about the app selection. Actually I think I am going to just pick up Nexus 7 and use as portable gaming. I was going to get iPad but Nexus 7 is cheaper, smaller and readily available.

edit: Never mind on that Nexus 7, so many returns complain and shitty experience with the devices now. I guess mini iPad it is for portable gaming.
I know a few with one and they love it. That's odd. I want a new one soon my og transformer is soo slow, and Asus have no plans to update it any further.

I know a few with one and they love it. That's odd. I want a new one soon my og transformer is soo slow, and Asus have no plans to update it any further.

There were a lot of positive buzz in that thread but now it seems there are just people complain about quality and exchanging them. There are suppose to be new version coming out soon, I might hold out for that.

Back on topic, I can't seems to get my daughter phone to work with At&t data, the 620 support all the At&t band and I put my sim in my brother 900 and it seems to work fine. May be just need new Sim card.

thirty

Banned
got my iStabilizer XL's. what can i say, it's eXtra Large. great damn deal for $10. don't know what i'll do with the 2nd unit, maybe give that to my bro who has a gs3.

I tried that one when I was in Thailand (while accessories for 920 are rare at least they are available there unlike in the Us where you have to order everything on-line and hope for the best). It's OK case, the fit aren't great like many of the cheap Chinese products but it does the job.

Hmm... Might buy it so my phone isn't completely naked til I can get my hands on a CP-600.

Found a seller with the CP-600 case in the US, but they aren't shipping until 3/8.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/nokia-case-for-lumia-920-black-237948/

Should I... hmm

Excellent.

kharma45

Glowing review from Pocket-Lint on the 620

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/6153/nokia-lumia-620-windows-phone-8-review

The Lumia 620 has none of the problems of Nokia's 920 (size, high cost) and the 820 (high cost) but is a lovely, charming and pleasant phone to use. It might be a little small for some, especially those with bigger hands, but we had no problem with our above-average-sized-hands. This is, in short, a winner, and honestly probably just about the best WP8 device out there.

I'm also thinking about doing it. Did you just sell your phone and got an unlocked S3?

Thought about abandoning the Windows 8 ecosystem, but I love this phone too much.

It's gonna be weird having 2 MS systems and a PS4 next gen. Anyone else doing this?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thought about abandoning the Windows 8 ecosystem, but I love this phone too much.

It's gonna be weird having 2 MS systems and a PS4 next gen. Anyone else doing this?

Probably will skip the PS4. Its exclusives are fine, but not enough for me to get one (not for a few years anyways).

It's possible. I also don't like the approach they're heading with gaming in general. Sony has more first party titles. Seriously, I have my phone and laptop for entertainment and streaming videos, I want my console to play games.

But once again, that can change if they announce those 4 new IPs to be good and dismiss the rumors.

My guess is they do a version of that. Pay 3$ to unlink registration from your system or something, and you can sell it back to gamestop. The intentions are good for publishers (for whom I do feel bad) who get bit by the retail physical disc scene.

However, there are countless people that really really rely on used games to actually play them--which the leaked article would really just screw over (if taken to the GAF extreme consensus ). For me, it wouldn't be an issue at all, I don't plan on selling games ever again. The Always Online thing I take to mean you need it to link your registration code on the disc to your account, which you can then play online/dl to HDD. I don't assume at all that this means the device itself will be forced to always be online.

I'll buy both the twin super-hd consoles at launch. The only reason I have an xbox currently is because I got it for free. More playing time on it has come from my roommates last years who played through the COD games.

It's all about services for me. Whoever gets more of my money comes from what benefit I get from putting money into their ecosystem. Sony's got me hooked with the Vita/PS3 stuff. PS1 FFs all on one device at all times, heck yeah!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for that big Sony exclusive Last Guardian to come out :p

Exclusives don't mean much to me. With the few MS games and all the 3rd party titles and Xbla there are more games than I could ever hope to have the time to play.

Top Bottom