• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

dLMN8R

You know, I've been thinking this for the past few days but Nokia really nailed the glare reduction on the 920. Without even noticing, I found that I have been mostly using my phone in areas where it is completely basked in light and I can still easily see the screen in full colors. This is literally in a completely different league from my fathers Iphone and Ipad or my mothers blackberry where I can't go anywhere without having to find an angle where glare isnt as bad.

I noticed that yesterday while walking outside in the sun. It's pretty amazing. The screen has a "super-bright" mode that completely over-saturates everything if you're in really bright light, but hell, it works.

ttony678

Neo Member
Can you go for a 920? And yes, it will work with AT&T for HSDPA (faux 4G) but only EDGE for T-Mobile unless you live in an area that has repurposed 1900Mhz spectrum.

I was hoping to go the pre-paid route. How much
do you pay per month for your plan?

Tekniqs

getting this phone in 2 weeks..time to upgrade in March. Anyone have experience with At&t allowing a slightly early upgrade? I ask because my s2 is starting to crap out on me!

getting this phone in 2 weeks..time to upgrade in March. Anyone have experience with At&t allowing a slightly early upgrade? I ask because my s2 is starting to crap out on me!

You can check on line and it should tell you if you eligible. Usually they let you upgrade early if you go iPhone. : /

m3k

hey i posted in this thread a few weeks ago and i just wanted to say i got the 920 and am pretty pleased with it

sure its a bit chunky but im glad i went with it because i drop things and this is a sturdy unit... and it is quick to boot

just one question... how do i make an mp3 a ring tone on this phone?

Addnan

How is the sound quality on the 920? I bought a S3 few weeks ago and listening to music on it is horrible, about to get rid of it. I don't want to have to carry around a second device for music. How does the music quality on this compare to others?

How is the sound quality on the 920? I bought a S3 few weeks ago and listening to music on it is horrible, about to get rid of it. I don't want to have to carry around a second device for music. How does the music quality on this compare to others?

I think it sound great, but that is kind of subjective. I use it instead of my old iPod.

hey i posted in this thread a few weeks ago and i just wanted to say i got the 920 and am pretty pleased with it

sure its a bit chunky but im glad i went with it because i drop things and this is a sturdy unit... and it is quick to boot

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/start/add-ringtones-to-my-phone

Ragus

Banned
The quality is as good as it was on my iPhone 4, which to me is more than enough. Before 920 I had Xperia T, and the sound quality there was a turd compared to both these phones.

I'm stuck between the 620 and Nexus 4. I know they're different
since one is the flagship phone while the latter is more budget friendly.
I'm in U.S. and my concern is that the 620 isn't supported here?
I know it's unlocked and all but I just want to be sure.
I think the 920 is $450 off contract in the US. Expensive, but not that much, compared to Europe and other parts in the world. US wins again.

Ragus

Banned
a4cd4a8f44a39971e20dc3a476f082b7_zpsdba1b80f.jpg

304ef32b5f5faea74d332b7a5a1a5e3a_zps747283a4.jpg

Got my cyan case today. I love it :).

Tapiozona

Banned
Anyone having problems with their 920 cameras? I bought this phone specifically for it because I'm tired of blurry photos.

Yet it seems that the majority of pictures I take are blurry anyways. When I take a picture the screen briefly shows the image as being crisp but then there's a small shift on the screen image and the picture is blurry. I thought the image stabilizer was supposed to fix all this but I got better pictures with my titan 2 than I do with my 920.

It also seems like the phone is slower than my previous WP phones. The home screen stutters when I try hit the home button and try to navigate around quickly. Never had any stuttering on my titans or 900

MCD

Anyone having problems with their 920 cameras? I bought this phone specifically for it because I'm tired of blurry photos.

Yet it seems that the majority of pictures I take are blurry anyways. When I take a picture the screen briefly shows the image as being crisp but then there's a small shift on the screen image and the picture is blurry. I thought the image stabilizer was supposed to fix all this but I got better pictures with my titan 2 than I do with my 920.

It also seems like the phone is slower than my previous WP phones. The home screen stutters when I try hit the home button and try to navigate around quickly. Never had any stuttering on my titans or 900

There is a bit of lag when the browser tries to load my history list in IE and there is an annoying stutter in the Marketplace. I pretty much believe that MS didn't optimize this OS properly for dual cores.

As for the camera, dumb question but did you try to use your thumb instead of camera button for focusing and taking a picture?

Ragus

Banned
Where did you get the case? Is it gel or a hard case?

I bought it here in Poland. It's official 920 case and it's something between hard and gel case. It's not plastic, but still it's quite sturdy and its texture is simmilar to black 920's back

waxer

I read jbl has slightly better sound quality but 360 supports stereo setup if you ever buy a second. I believe battery life is quite different between them as wel

Discusguy

Picked up 2 Nokia 920s on the BOGO. I'm pretty impressed with this phone. Everything seems to be great so far. Loved the screen and loved the smoothness win8. Best of all my wife loves the new phone. I talked her into trying this phone out. She's so happy with the camera on the L920. Also she didn't even say anything about the weight of this tank.

thirty

Banned
So...

Nokia Play 360 or Nokia JBL PlayUp? I really can't decide between the two.
TDK A33 is better than both. Trust me, I had the Play 360, but the sound pales in comparison to the TDK A33 which delivers stereo sound and booming bass.

Go to Amazon and read the TDK A33 reviews, they all say it's the best portable Bluetooth speaker out there. The battery life is only 3-4 hours but the sound quality makes it all worth it. If battery is a concern, get an external USB battery, the A33 is worth it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Waiting for a table at a restaurant in Banff and a guy saw my 920 and asked me some questions and wanted to check it out. He was pretty impressed, but i told him to wait until the end of the month and see what Nokia shows.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
TDK A33 is better than both. Trust me, I had the Play 360, but the sound pales in comparison to the TDK A33 which delivers stereo sound and booming bass.

Go to Amazon and read the TDK A33 reviews, they all say it's the best portable Bluetooth speaker out there. The battery life is only 3-4 hours but the sound quality makes it all worth it. If battery is a concern, get an external USB battery, the A33 is worth it.

I have the Bose Soundlink. How does it compare to the TDK?

thirty

Banned
I have the Bose Soundlink. How does it compare to the TDK?
never compared the two directly but I think the Bose is larger, has better battery, well rated, but also double the price at $300. The TDK and the Nokia branded speakers are around $150. At that price range, the TDK is the hands down winner.

Retrocide

Waiting for a table at a restaurant in Banff and a guy saw my 920 and asked me some questions and wanted to check it out. He was pretty impressed, but i told him to wait until the end of the month and see what Nokia shows.

Yeah, I'm in the unusual position of talking about the phone at least once a day, usually with...is that a windows phone 8...?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
never compared the two directly but I think the Bose is larger, has better battery, well rated, but also double the price at $300. The TDK and the Nokia branded speakers are around $150. At that price range, the TDK is the hands down winner.

I was confused cause I bought my Play 360 speaker @ $99 but now I remember it was a sale. I haven't heard the TDK, but the battery life on the Play 360's are fantastic and are a valid enough reason to take a small hit on sound quality (they sound great to me anyway for portable speakers). Plus the TDK doesn't have NFC.

thirty

Banned
I was confused cause I bought my Play 360 speaker @ $99 but now I remember it was a sale. I haven't heard the TDK, but the battery life on the Play 360's are fantastic and are a valid enough reason to take a small hit on sound quality (they sound great to me anyway for portable speakers). Plus the TDK doesn't have NFC.
it isn't a small hit, believe me, the difference between the 360 and the TDK are quite drastic. Seriously, it isn't even close.

NFC I found to be an overrated feature as well as you have to keep both Bluetooth and NFC on to take advantage of NFC. I didn't wanna sacrifice my phones battery life for NFC convenience. Plus, pre-portico my 920 would sometimes freeze up.

Look in Nokia Collections, there is a ringtone maker they put out.

Gannd

Banned
I picked up a red 920 today. It works very different compared to Android/iOS which I think are easy to pop between. The app selection is what is killing me. I don't need a lot of apps but I do use Audible, Amazon Music, and MLB at Bat and they either aren't on Windows Phone or are not very feature rich. I'm bored with Android so I'd love to be able to use this device more.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up a red 920 today. It works very different compared to Android/iOS which I think are easy to pop between. The app selection is what is killing me. I don't need a lot of apps but I do use Audible, Amazon Music, and MLB at Bat and they either aren't on Windows Phone or are not very feature rich. I'm bored with Android so I'd love to be able to use this device more.

Audible works great.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Why wouldn't Amazon port a music app to WP? Makes no sense. I think Google Music is a superior service anyway and at least there is a 3rd party alternative for that on WP.

Gandie

My 820 is easily the best phone I've ever owned. Just got a second (cyan) shell for it so I can change it with the black one whenever I want to.

Thank you all for the Amazing Weather suggestion, what a great app.

wp_ss_20130220_0001.png

This is a shot of my homescreen right now. I'm having a ton of fun rearranging and reshuffling all my tiles every couple of days.

My 820 is easily the best phone I've ever owned. Just got a second (cyan) shell for it so I can change it with the black one whenever I want to.

Thank you all for the Amazing Weather suggestion, what a great app.

PIC

This is a shot of my homescreen right now. I'm having a ton of fun rearranging and reshuffling all my tiles every couple of days.

Thanks for this post. As I posted in the WP thread, my provider offered me a 820 and I'm still kinda undecided whether it's a good offer or not. But the 820 really seems like a neat phone.

Do you have any problems when it comes to apps and storage since it just has 8 GB? And can you use the phone entirely in English as well (I'm in Germany, too, but prefer to have most of my electronics set up in English)?

Gandie

Thanks for this post. As I posted in the WP thread, my provider offered me a 820 and I'm still kinda undecided whether it's a good offer or not. But the 820 really seems like a neat phone.

Do you have any problems when it comes to apps and storage since it just has 8 GB? And can you use the phone entirely in English as well (I'm in Germany, too, but prefer to have most of my electronics set up in English)?

I put a 32 GB Micro-SD card into the phone, where I put all my music. the camera app saves to it as well. So I'm not having any trouble with storage space. I'm not sure if you can save apps on the SD card, would have to double check.

I bought a wireless charging shell + station for a total of 80 € on Amazon, but it's mostly for fun. Wireless charging is neat, but not at all necessary.

I just checked, you can set the phone's language to English and it even offered me to download the speech recognition pack for the English language.

@CrazedProfessional: I'm using a 32 GB card, so that's definitely possible, don't know about 64 GB.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Am I the only one having issues with Nokia Music and WP's own music player properly recognizing albums? Take a look at this screencap

Andrew WK's is duplicated (with a bunch of random songs in each album) and uses a slightly different image. Billy Idol's should be a compilation album with a different image, but somehow WP picked the original release and thumbnail of one of those songs and created a separate album out of it.

The most bizarre thing is that all my albums have their own custom made thumbnails within the MP3 file and are properly tagged, as I rip them myself from my CD collection.

Edit: This was NOT an issue with my old WP7 phone, BTW. It's pretty maddening.

Top Bottom