• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've never heard anyone call Windows Media Player a file manager. I'm just saying it works perfectly when syncing music that way.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I just said that I use copy and paste instead of Microsoft's Zune replacement tool, which is AWFUL. I'll give WMP a try.

Edit: This one

wqv8zT0.jpg

I indeed misunderstood, and I agree that new sync tool is an unusable piece of crap application, and indeed messed up my albums and album art when I tried it.

The Metro version doesn't even recognize my 820.

Am I the only one having issues with Nokia Music and WP's own music player properly recognizing albums? Take a look at this screencap

Andrew WK's is duplicated (with a bunch of random songs in each album) and uses a slightly different image. Billy Idol's should be a compilation album with a different image, but somehow WP picked the original release and thumbnail of one of those songs and created a separate album out of it.

The most bizarre thing is that all my albums have their own custom made thumbnails within the MP3 file and are properly tagged, as I rip them myself from my CD collection.

Edit: This was NOT an issue with my old WP7 phone, BTW. It's pretty maddening

I think this has something to do with the way the Music service attempts to put your songs in a cloud locker. I remember some comment about it somewhere on the interwebs (Verge or wpcentral?)--but I know nothing of its veracity

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Same issues using Windows Media Player.

I'm about to flip shit. It is pretty clear that this is caused by some service in the background, as you say.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
How are your mp3s tagged? Album Artist and Album should be the same for each track.

Sound like it's an issue with the MP3 tags, let WMP grab the info and then sync again is what I would suggest.
All of them have the proper album and artist tags. I use a batch tagger in order to avoid those issues and all the fields are populated with the same data per album. My MP3 collection is immaculate.

PG2G

Maybe you guys just need to turn off the 'Connect to Xbox Music' setting. You'll lose some functionality, but might be worth it in the end

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Stunning how Windows Phone went from best in class for PC media sync with Zune to barely better than Android. What a bunch of idiots these guys can be sometimes.

hadareud

The Translator
Stunning how Windows Phone went from best in class for PC media sync with Zune to barely better than Android. What a bunch of idiots these guys can be sometimes.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing.

Why on earth did they feel the need to get rid of Zune, when all they needed to do was to build on it.

Indeed, I don't have the MP3 tagging problems you guys have (and I have 2000+ albums in my WMP library, and I just checked, "Connect with Xbox Music" in "On" on my phone) unless I dare to launch the Metro Xbox Music app. Why is what I see there so flippin' different from what I see in Zune or WMP? Why is the interface only half as usable as it was in Zune (layout, search functions, ...) Even the "now playing" animations are a lot worse.

Every time I see an update in the Windows Store I'm hoping it's the one that makes the Music app work more like Zune.

hadareud

The Translator
For album art, use the MPAtool app.

It works really well (scans your library and automatically adds the art) and you can also add custom artist pictures with it.

If Android software allows podcast management, it's better. Can't believe they haven't addressed or spoken to this yet. What the hell are they working on?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If Android software allows podcast management, it's better. Can't believe they haven't addressed or spoken to this yet. What the hell are they working on?

I don't know about the latest version of android, but I remember having to use an app for podcasts when I used the OS, it wasn't built in.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I *almost* fixed all my mismatched albums. I had to delete all the tracks manually from Windows Phone, as removing the folders using my computer would still leave the names there (what in the name of fuck) and THEN switch off all the xbox music/cloud options. I still have a couple of bad albums and I need to use MPAtool to fix the art, but at least I only have a couple of imaginary discs floating around.

I still can't believe that deleting the folders via USB won't remove the track names from the phone. This is some baffling shit.

I *almost* fixed all my mismatched albums. I had to delete all the tracks manually from Windows Phone, as removing the folders using my computer would still leave the names there (what in the name of fuck) and THEN switch off all the xbox music/cloud options. I still have a couple of bad albums and I need to use MPAtool to fix the art, but at least I only have a couple of imaginary discs floating around.

I still can't believe that deleting the folders via USB won't remove the track names from the phone. This is some baffling shit.

Gonna try this now for a couple of the worst offenders and see what happens, thanks for the tips everyone.

I just bought a 620 and I noticed that the phone sits weirdly in it's casing. Like one edge of the phone is in the body more than the other. Is it supposed to be like this?

Baskcm

Wish i could find the official case for my 920, Then again might just splash out on a leather case protect the screen more.

Rehynn

Looking at the specs of the 520... I have to say, it's a pretty impressive device for the price. If I don't care about NFC and a front-facing camera, why should I go with the 620?

I wound up with an extra Lumia 920. Can I sell this thing? Would I need to unlock it first? How does one go about this sort of necromancy?

You need to call At&t for unlock code. I call them last month and they told me no unlock code until May 2013 for 920. Though the customer service girl told me technical department may be can get it for me on case by case basis. (I have to travel to Thailand on family emergency so I was looking for unlock code for my 920). I ended up just using my brother 900 and then One X since I couldn't get the phone unlock and I didn't have the time nor care to plea my case to At&t technical department.

You can also buy unlock code from people on eBay.

Top Bottom