• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Beowulf28

Anybody here with a Lumia 810 know where to find a cyan back? I have the black and have been looking around for a cyan back cover but haven't had any luck.

hwalker84

Don't know why but New York is murdering my battery. 100% before I left work 6:30ish. Battery saver was on when I checked the phone 30 minutes ago.

DrBo42

Ended up grabbing a red 920 this weekend. Are there any matte form-fitting cases with the other available colors? Kinda regretting not buying a cyan online.

Sordid

Hahaha 620 sound is really poor.

Call sound is nice and clear for me but the loud speaker is absolutely horrible, when it's 'activated' it sometimes makes a wee hissing noise like the volume is up high even if it's set at 1. My 620 also seems to have the multi touch issue mentioned earlier, the test app goes haywire when I try to use more than one input. Pinch to zoom works fine in IE though so who knows.

My 920 should be arriving today though so I don't mind either way \o/

TKR92

finally got the yellow case. Will get the grey one later today.

8531447328_48eac51a15_b.jpg

dorkimoe

Couple questions, read some things about battery issues and crashing issues on 920? Also did they ever add rotation lock yet, because laying down texting on your side was the most annoying thing

kharma45

Na Windows Phone still doesn't support rotation lock. Random reboots was sorted with Portico, as for battery it was fine when I had one.

dorkimoe

Na Windows Phone still doesn't support rotation lock. Random reboots was sorted with Portico, as for battery it was fine when I had one.

I was ok with missing some of my favorite apps, but why cant we get rotation lock? I keep my iphone locked all the time, because I always end up texting laying down :(

Seems like something small they could just add

Finally got my yellow 920 and damn this is a thing of beauty. Can't play with it too much before my sim gets activated but so far it has been pleasant to use (mainly have played with camera =P )

U2NUMB

I am sure it has been talked about (If not I am just an idiot) but how do I turn off the vibration on my 920? It seems all I can do is have vibration only or sound and vibration at the same time.

Milchjon

I am sure it has been talked about (If not I am just an idiot) but how do I turn off the vibration on my 920? It seems all I can do is have vibration only or sound and vibration at the same time.

I only know what it's like on WP7, but the toggle thingy in the volume controls is weird that way. You need to go into the ringtone settings to change the vibration settings (Which also changes the way the volume control ringtone button behaves).

Doesn't make a lot of sense...

U2NUMB

I only know what it's like on WP7, but the toggle thingy in the volume controls is weird that way. You need to go into the ringtone settings to change the vibration settings (Which also changes the way the volume control ringtone button behaves).

Doesn't make a lot of sense...

Ya know sometimes its far too early to try and trouble shoot something. I had been in the settings a million times and thanks to you I went back in and there it is.. turn off vibration. HA.. thanks :)

Booser

Cinemagraph for Lumia 800 doesnt seem to be available in Ireland yet. Are apps released in different regions seperately?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Cinemagraph for Lumia 800 doesnt seem to be available in Ireland yet. Are apps released in different regions seperately?

I believe so, but I thought Nokia was better about releasing their apps in all markets quickly. Have you tried using Bing vision and the qr codes instead of a market search?

Milchjon

I like this idea

Fresh off winning the Super Bowl, or at least the social media advertising wars during the NFL's championship, Oreo is now setting out to conquer the stars in the skies.

The cookie giant has teamed up with Nokia to release a stargazing app for Lumia Windows phones that could result in the heavens above being filled with virtual Oreos.

Called Oreo Skies, the app was designed to let users write messages and tag them to actual stars -- or at least to constellations.

It works like this. First, users can point their Lumia at the skies and pick a constellation on which to leave a message. Then, if their friends or family use the app and point their phone at the skies, thanks to augmented reality, and the phone's ability to detect precisely where in the sky it's pointing, they can see if any messages have been left for them, and on which constellation. If they touch a star containing a message for them, it twists open like an Oreo and reveals the note. Day or night.

Users without Lumias can leave messages for others using a version of the app built for Facebook on both dektop and mobile devices.

Haven't tried it yet, stupid stars are always hiding.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully newer Lumia and later 920 batches fix the dust in the FFC/proximity sensor issue. When I call my buddy he can answer the call, but then the screen goes black on his red 920. I have to end the call. Hopefully he can clean it out with a can of air.

ttony678

Neo Member
Might be a stupid question but do any of you feel that the Lumia 720 is overpriced, or priced just right for what offers? If you feel it's priced right, can you add insight as to why you feel that way. Thanks.

Ended up grabbing a red 920 this weekend. Are there any matte form-fitting cases with the other available colors? Kinda regretting not buying a cyan online.

Red is the best color! Anyway, as other mention the case by Nokia are great. I ordered several and they fit nicely and have excellent feel to them.

They are on Amazon for just 11.99.

I have dust under the front lens. It bugs me.

I have dust under the lens n my 920 how is that even possible.

Recent story on WPCentral regarding dust. I don't notice it on my but it's probably because I hardly ever use the front camera.

http://www.wpcentral.com/From-Forums-How-dust-gets-inside-Nokia-Lumia-920-front-camera

Sordid

I'm thinking about getting an official gel case to (hopefully!) lessen the chance of getting dust issues. Do the coloured cases still end up stained at the corners like the Lumia 800 ones used to?

jgkspsx

I have mine in a case and have since the second week or so. All of the dust in the lens has happened while it's been in a case.

Is this 920 dust thing common? I'm a bit worried now!

Edit: It looks pretty common, rubbish.

There was a detailed WPCentral forum post about this--dude took apart the phone and everything. Apparently, the upper seal between the glass and the phone has a small gap right where the FFC is (everything else is sealed tight). Who knows why, but dust enters through there.

Apparently Elop was made aware by this user and they said they're looking into it.

Sordid

There was a detailed WPCentral forum post about this--dude took apart the phone and everything. Apparently, the upper seal between the glass and the phone has a small gap right where the FFC is (everything else is sealed tight). Who knows why, but dust enters through there.

Apparently Elop was made aware by this user and they said they're looking into it.

I have mine in a case and have since the second week or so. All of the dust in the lens has happened while it's been in a case.

That's the end of that idea then! Cheers for the info folks :)

After a few days with the 920 I'm loving it (dat camera <3) but the battery seems to die so much quicker than my 800 and 620 did. It lost 25% between midnight and 6am doing nothing but checking my e-mail account every hour. Are there any apps I should avoid for better battery life? I think the only differences are Kik messenger and a battery monitor which I have on the 920 but didn't have on the 620.

Edit: The only background tasks I have running are Amazing Weather and Battery Widget, doesn't seem like too much but I don't know.

Blackhead

Redarse
That's the end of that idea then! Cheers for the info folks :)

After a few days with the 920 I'm loving it (dat camera <3) but the battery seems to die so much quicker than my 800 and 620 did. It lost 25% between midnight and 6am doing nothing but checking my e-mail account every hour. Are there any apps I should avoid for better battery life? I think the only differences are Kik messenger and a battery monitor which I have on the 920 but didn't have on the 620.

Edit: The only background tasks I have running are Amazing Weather and Battery Widget, doesn't seem like too much but I don't know.

Didn't battery widget ironically have some battery life issues?

Sendou

Do we have any 620 owners here? It just launched here few weeks ago and it seems to be quite good for its price. Not hard to see why Nokia sees future in cheaper smart phones.

Raide

Do we have any 620 owners here? It just launched here few weeks ago and it seems to be quite good for its price. Not hard to see why Nokia sees future in cheaper smart phones.

I am. Love it to bits. Still learning how to use the thing but overall it is a great little phone.

I'm currently using a HTC Mozart T8697. I'm eyeing new phones and these Lumias certainly looked pretty damn sexy. Would the bump from 3.7 to 4.3" in the 820's be enough to make web browsing more bearable, or would the resolution (the same for the Mozart and the 820) hold it back?

starsky

I am. Love it to bits. Still learning how to use the thing but overall it is a great little phone.

Yep, I have one too. I was planning to buy 920 but changed my mind once I found out about 620. I'm aware I miss out on the extra features but for almost third of the price and smaller size, I couldn't be happier.

I would love to buy some extra colour case for my phone. Not sure where from, though.

I'm currently using a HTC Mozart T8697. I'm eyeing new phones and these Lumias certainly looked pretty damn sexy. Would the bump from 3.7 to 4.3" in the 820's be enough to make web browsing more bearable, or would the resolution (the same for the Mozart and the 820) hold it back?

With the new Lumias you also get a new, more capable browser (IE10 has much better HTML5 compatibility, compared to IE9), so that should help. However, after switching from my Galaxy Naxus back to my LG for a while, I don't think I could ever use a lower res than 720p again.

I really like the look of the 920s, say, but I don't do contracts so its $700 upfront. On the other hand, I might end up using it as a camera and internet device for international travel, so I could justify the extra expenses that way. Then again I could buy a dedicated camera for the price difference between a 620 and a 920.

Lucius86

Banned
Apparently there is an update for the Lumia 920 for UK EE and Orange users, apparently fixing “signal as well as call cut-offs and freezes”. It brings the version from 1232.5951.1249.1017 to 1232.5951.1249.1018 (so not a big one).

My phone has signified an update, so will be downloading when I am home tonight.

MCD

I really like the look of the 920s, say, but I don't do contracts so its $700 upfront. On the other hand, I might end up using it as a camera and internet device for international travel, so I could justify the extra expenses that way. Then again I could buy a dedicated camera for the price difference between a 620 and a 920.

I took Lumia 920 with me in my Japan trip. I suck at anything camera related so see if these pictures justify the price tag for you:

Pug

Apparently there is an update for the Lumia 920 for UK EE and Orange users, apparently fixing “signal as well as call cut-offs and freezes”. It brings the version from 1232.5951.1249.1017 to 1232.5951.1249.1018 (so not a big one).

My phone has signified an update, so will be downloading when I am home tonight.

Funny, I haven't seen any updates and I have the .1017 firmware. I have the tell when updates are available box ticked, but nothing is showing. I'm on EE orange.

Funny, I haven't seen any updates and I have the .1017 firmware. I have the tell when updates are available box ticked, but nothing is showing. I'm on EE orange.

Updates are always rolled out in phases, in case a show stopping bug is discovered and kills all phones.

hadareud

The Translator

Installing the update now, will report if there's anything new.

hadareud

The Translator
Just finished updating.

Nothing new as far as I can tell. Definitely no new storage options or display options.

booooo!

Top Bottom