• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Satchel

Banned
Pissed off Australia doesn't seem to have those official silicone sleeves.

My black 920 is definitely showing wear now. Not happy.

Alos, my front camera is chock full of dust. I'm assuming that's impossible to get out right?

Cracked the screen on my Lumia 800 on a night out. Gorilla Glass, my arse.
Anyway, I can either re-buy an 800 for £100 or get a 620 for £130. Is WP8 worth the extra £30 even though the 620 seems to be a lower-spec phone than the 800? What say you, GAF?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Cracked the screen on my Lumia 800 on a night out. Gorilla Glass, my arse.
Anyway, I can either re-buy an 800 for £100 or get a 620 for £130. Is WP8 worth the extra £30 even though the 620 seems to be a lower-spec phone than the 800? What say you, GAF?
620 has better specs.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't wait for Samsung to show Nokia and Microsoft how to market gloves-on touch, wireless charging, and SmartShoot

I personally find the built in pedometer-fitbit stuff to be VERY appealing. Is the Qi wireless charging for all models? I think Engadget says it depends on the carrier, like HTC's 8X wireless charging.

Also, I'm glad Nokia is pushing tech forward, in hardware and software. I can't wait until they show off what they have ready for this year's flagship.

Bullza2o

I can't wait for Samsung to show Nokia and Microsoft how to market gloves-on touch, wireless charging, and SmartShoot

One of the biggest reasons why I stayed with WP and bought the 920 was because of the unique features Nokia introduced, especially OIS, the super sensitive touch screen, and wireless charging.

I wonder what Nokia will introduce for their next flagship. If they continue to do this I'm gonna stay with Nokia for my next upgrade.

Lucius86

Banned
Heads up folks, incoming update for your Lumia devices to improve performance and shit:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Blog...pdates-for-lumia-920-lumia-820-and-lumia-620/

Will the release be carrier dependant I take it? Just checked my Lumia 920 on EE, nothing new right now.

The big issue for me right now is during a call the screen remains totally black - apparently this is down to some dust on the front-camera affecting it. I hope this helps alleviate the issue.

This software, version 1232.5957.1308.00xx, includes further performance and stability improvements, enhancements to display stability during a call, and improved automatic display brightness adjustment.

NeOak

So I took my red 920 out of the Ballistic case to show it off... I don't think I'm putting it in the case ever again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I dropped one from about waist height face down onto tiles, I was ever so scared to pick it up again but somehow not a mark on it.

It's all luck. I'd dropped mine before and had just a few dings. Then my son dropped it and the glass shattered. It didn't look that bad, must've been a bad angle or something.

kharma45

It's all luck. I'd dropped mine before and had just a few dings. Then my son dropped it and the glass shattered. It didn't look that bad, must've been a bad angle or something.

I remember dropping my Nexus One onto tiles and cracked the OLED part of the screen, glass on the outside was fine however which was annoying.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Does anyone else have the Cyan shell for the 620? Does it look kind of translucent? Especially at the edges around the phone. Kind of weird.

I expected it to be a flat cyan colour plastic like the black shell. Instead it's some weird translucent cyan over white plastic.

MCD

Does anyone else have the Cyan shell for the 620? Does it look kind of translucent? Especially at the edges around the phone. Kind of weird.

I expected it to be a flat cyan colour plastic like the black shell. Instead it's some weird translucent cyan over white plastic.

I didn't see one in person but it fits the dual color of the 620.

MarkusRJR

Just a lot more stable now than it was, and they've fixed the multitouch problem with the screen.
Wait really? Did you test with the multitouch app? That was the one thing stopping me from picking it up, apart from the fact that my carrier hasn't officially launched it (it's on their computers but not "official").

kharma45

Wait really? Did you test with the multitouch app? That was the one thing stopping me from picking it up, apart from the fact that my carrier hasn't officially launched it (it's on their computers but not "official").

I did yeah and it works 100% now the multitouch.

Rehynn

Forced the new firmware on my 620, happier with it now.

Phone stuff is not my forté at all, what do you mean by "forcing" the new firmware on it?

The 620's coming out here in a month or two, I want to be prepared.

EDIT: Thanks, will see if it has the multi-touch issue when I get it and do the update right away if necessary.

MCD

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-920-front-facing-camera-and-proximity-sensor-dust-fix-on-the-way/

According to Marco the issue is clearly a design flaw which Nokia is fixing in all future production by introducing a sheath placed around the front facing camera and proximity sensor to better insulate them from dust build-up.

The good news is that existing devices with this issue will also be able to take advantage of this solution by taking their device to a Nokia repair service.

Did you guys miss this piece of news?

kharma45

Phone stuff is not my forté at all, what do you mean by "forcing" the new firmware on it?

The 620's coming out here in a month or two, I want to be prepared.

It's just flashing it manually, not ideal for users who've been using their phone for a while as it restores it to factory settings. I used this tool http://www.gsmeg.com/nokia-firmware/nokia-software-updater-for-retail-2-0-6.html

I would hope by the time the 620 launches in your region it should be pre-installed.

Top Bottom