• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just worried the dust will build up and eventually interfere with the sensors there. Read others have had that happen.

My buddies red 920 has the proximity sensor problem. I haven't talked to him for a bit so I'm not sure if it is fixed. I also read that the new updates alleviates the proximity sensor issue.

NeOak

I'm just worried the dust will build up and eventually interfere with the sensors there. Read others have had that happen.

Same here. I've tried twice with canned air, dust wont move.

Thats what happens when you get a launch unit D:

My Lumia 920 arrived!

But now I think I may have fucked it already. It's the stupid key opening thing. It worked brilliantly the first time, then the second time I went to open it it flat out didn't work. I ended up having to "fish" the sim slot out using the key, which is now crooked slightly and won't go back into position.

I didn't even have a sim that would fit, so I went to the Telstra store and they swapped me over to a micro SIM. But now I put it in the phone, it said that no networks were found. So I take it out and look up a tutorial online to make sure I put it in the right way, I did. Now it's saying NO SIM.

FUCK.

Of course. I just tried using the sim on someone else's phone / using their sim on my phone. Their sim works in mine and mine doesn't in theirs. Thank god. Invalid sim is easier to fix than broken phone :/

The lady in the store said it might take 15 minutes before it started working. It's been an hour now but she might have fucked somethin' up. If I still don't have a phone by tomorrow morning I'll go back in and see if they can figure it out.

Of course. I just tried using the sim on someone else's phone / using their sim on my phone. Their sim works in mine and mine doesn't in theirs. Thank god. Invalid sim is easier to fix than broken phone :/

The lady in the store said it might take 15 minutes before it started working. It's been an hour now but she might have fucked somethin' up. If I still don't have a phone by tomorrow morning I'll go back in and see if they can figure it out.

Hopefully they can. The carrier probably just forgot to provision the new sim before they sent it out to the store.

Looking for a new phone and one on my list is a Lumia 920, can you guys help me out, anything I need to know about the phone? Pros and Cons? Thanks.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really care about apps. But how's the hardware and software?

Hardware is great imo. The OS is fast and smooth, the screen is excellent and has one the best camera's (probably the best in low light conditions). The built in wireless charging is sweet. The phone is on the heavier side so I hope you lift. Some people have issues with syncing there music collections.

I've just started having that issue actually, and I'm pretty sure it's because of the update. Other than that, nothing.
Thanks, good to know. I really like the overall design of the phone especially the way it feels when you hold it.

I just don't like encountering freeze up or stutters since there is no custom roms for WP to fix the issues.

What kind of bugs did you hear about? Haven't ran into anything.
I've had a lot of issues with audio playback on my 920 through the default 'music' app.

If I am listening through the speaker (which I do with podcasts while I'm walking around the house getting ready in the morning), and then plug in headphones while the audio is still playing, only one channel works until I stop the podcast, unplug the headphones, lock the phone, plug in the headphones, then restart the audio.

At that point, I've also been having bugs lately where the freaking volume control doesn't work once headphones are plugged in. So it'll just be stuck at 20 or whatever and I can't adjust it.

Awful.

I bought a Nexus 4 and am returning my 920 after 4 months. It's actually NOT because of the 920's performance, more that I had unresolvable differences with AT&T, so we have terminated our relationship. But I was finding some of the software stuff irritating. I also found the build quality of my particular 920 a bit lacking. Something about the battery must have come loose because my phone has weird weight shifts (if I shake it, the battery moves around--it's not a tinny rattling, more like a lumbering-all-internals-are-moving).

kharma45

At that point, I've also been having bugs lately where the freaking volume control doesn't work once headphones are plugged in. So it'll just be stuck at 20 or whatever and I can't adjust it.

Awful.

I had that on the 920 when I had it too, and I've had it happen on my 620 as well. Really fucking annoying as you well know.

flippedb

Banned
Can I take a picture, add a filter (to disguise bad phone pictures) and share it to Facebook and Twitter at the same time on WP? that's the only thing I use Instagram for.

I'm between an iPhone and a Lumia.

jond76

Banned
Can I take a picture, add a filter (to disguise bad phone pictures) and share it to Facebook and Twitter at the same time on WP? that's the only thing I use Instagram for.

Easily. I can even do it on my Titan (wp7.5). Hopefully I can upgrade tomorrow to a 920 :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Yes, and as a bonus, you'll have much less bad phone pictures with the 920. Camera is awesome, I rarely get a bad shot.

Also, if you're new to the phone, be aware that it is haunted. The damn thing will ALWAYS manage to find its way onto the floor. You can leave it in the middle of a dining room table and it will slither itself to the edge, then splash down to the carpet, or to chip your tile.

Also, if you're new to the phone, be aware that it is haunted. The damn thing will ALWAYS manage to find its way onto the floor. You can leave it in the middle of a dining room table and it will slither itself to the edge, then splash down to the carpet, or to chip your tile.

Yup--its curviness is a blessing and a curse.

How good is the WhatsApp WP version? I heard it had a lot of issues, are they solved yet? I want to go back to Nokia ;_;

Seems ok? I haven't used any version EXCEPT the WP8 though. I will say: Using it, somehow causes a bug that "forgets" what I'm listening to.

Example: I will be listening to a podcast. I pause the podcast. I go and do other things. I come back, I can just click the side button to wake up the phone, then click the volume buttons to access the "now playing" and start playing whatever is paused. Works fine.

However, if I at any time open up WhatsApp, it forgets what I was listening to, so I have to go back into the kind of bad music app and reselect what I was listening to.

Not a huge deal, but it's a bug, and it makes what should be a normal media device function unusable.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Its not just whatsapp. I don't have that app installed and I get that too. What's worse, sometimes my podcast will lose its place. Its the reason I was using my old Lumia 900 for podcasts, but now that I sold it I'm stuck with the 920 for podcasts.

Milchjon

How good is the WhatsApp WP version? I heard it had a lot of issues, are they solved yet? I want to go back to Nokia ;_;

I haven't had any problems.

Seems ok? I haven't used any version EXCEPT the WP8 though. I will say: Using it, somehow causes a bug that "forgets" what I'm listening to.

Example: I will be listening to a podcast. I pause the podcast. I go and do other things. I come back, I can just click the side button to wake up the phone, then click the volume buttons to access the "now playing" and start playing whatever is paused. Works fine.

However, if I at any time open up WhatsApp, it forgets what I was listening to, so I have to go back into the kind of bad music app and reselect what I was listening to.

Not a huge deal, but it's a bug, and it makes what should be a normal media device function unusable.

AFAIK that's not a bug.
The way I understand it, WP limits how apps can work in the background, which leads to problems with notifications, because they only check every few minutes or even less. For example the Hike messenger has horrible notifications, which arrive late or not at all.

Whatsapp seems to use a workaround, which uses the music API, because music can run in the background constantly. This integrates WhatsApp into the music hub. So WhatsApp interferes with other apps that access the music background agent. In return, you get quick notifications.

I hope no one with actual knowledge reads this, because I don't really know anything about how WP works and developing for it. But that's the principle, WhatsApp acts like a music app.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have been using Podcast Lounge and it is pretty good. I don't think I have had any issues with losing my place in the podcast.

MCD

O4h27CK.png

I guess we unbranded phone owners dodged a bullet.

Meteorain

So I've just joined the Windows Phone club having just got myself a 920. So far I'm really liking the phone. I love the tiles, so fantastic to navigate around. One thing that did confuse me is the lack of watch-type features, such as stop watch and timer.

Is there a website or app or something along the lines of a database/gallery of wallpapers for the lock screen?

So I've just joined the Windows Phone club having just got myself a 920. So far I'm really liking the phone. I love the tiles, so fantastic to navigate around. One thing that did confuse me is the lack of watch-type features, such as stop watch and timer.

Is there a website or app or something along the lines of a database/gallery of wallpapers for the lock screen?

I use Amazing HD with weather/bing images for my lockscreen. Really nice application for it.

Locksider is pretty nice for lock screen. I don't use any clock or watch so can't help you there.

Meteorain

All these pay for apps :(

Oh well, I managed to just net search an img and I was allowed to "set as lock screen".

Imogen Poots is the one!

Top Bottom